South Bend, IN - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3743 Old 06-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the picture quality of digital cable any better on an SD TV than analog cable? I'm wondering what the advantages are other than a few more channels that I don't really need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3743 Old 06-21-2006, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post

Is the picture quality of digital cable any better on an SD TV than analog cable? I'm wondering what the advantages are other than a few more channels that I don't really need.

Digital cable doesn't necessarly mean stunning pictures. Its only meant that its transported to you digitally. So if the source is STILL analog, then you get the analog picture transmitted digitally. Not to mention now we step into the compression world. (That annoying boxy look on dark pictures) It gets worse for HD.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #363 of 3743 Old 06-21-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post

With digital "Cable", I don't know. hvs10trk has several good point. However, I have a QAM receiver getting OTA HD, and the OTA HD is much, much better than the analog feeds. The "HD feeds" of the locals I get from comcast are poor quality though. They compress way too much.
post #364 of 3743 Old 06-23-2006, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshMV4 View Post

They compress way too much.

That's an understatement. I forgot the exact specs but they were pretty bad.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

post #365 of 3743 Old 06-28-2006, 09:17 PM

Anyone know if digital channel 16 is back to full power? Nothing is said about it on the website, but I'm back up to mid 90's signal strength which is where it was before they started broadcasting lp with the temporary antenna. Maybe they just haven't updated the website yet!
post #366 of 3743 Old 06-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by David HT View Post

Anyone know if digital channel 16 is back to full power? Nothing is said about it on the website, but I'm back up to mid 90's signal strength which is where it was before they started broadcasting lp with the temporary antenna. Maybe they just haven't updated the website yet!

I've never noticed a difference or checked the signal strength, but it went out for a couple hours the other day...maybe that was the switch back?

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #367 of 3743 Old 06-30-2006, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

This is the only thread I'm tracking. How come when I sign in (and I get logged in automatically), it goes to page 11 instead of the last page 13? Somehow the forum isn't picking up the last post I've read.
post #368 of 3743 Old 06-30-2006, 02:18 PM

Well its june the 30th now did anyone here if ABC 57 WBND got a request in for a HD channel or not?
post #369 of 3743 Old 07-05-2006, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Anyone?

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
post #370 of 3743 Old 07-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe after the holiday week?

I'd like to also hear the plans on the new CW channel, if they would take the opportunity to launch digitally at the same time to deliver the CW's HD programs to the community.

I'm curious about WSBT's plans for 22-2; I doubt they will give up that outlet for eyeballs after UPN goes away. They can't keep on playing re-runs, or can they?

--Roland
post #371 of 3743 Old 07-07-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post

Maybe after the holiday week?

I'd like to also hear the plans on the new CW channel, if they would take the opportunity to launch digitally at the same time to deliver the CW's HD programs to the community.

I'm curious about WSBT's plans for 22-2; I doubt they will give up that outlet for eyeballs after UPN goes away. They can't keep on playing re-runs, or can they?

Can't comment yet on WBND. As far as the CW, I believe the FCC limits DTV-LP to one DTV channel per location/company. I'm not in on this process so I dont know the exact details.

post #372 of 3743 Old 07-07-2006, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

16 seems to be back to a higher power, or at least they are receivable at my home again.

I drove past the tower a week or so ago and the rigging jib was along side the new HD antenna. Not a place that one wants a huge piece of steel and definately a sign that they were not using that antenna (at power).

The other channels are better - on my receiver (DishNetwork ViP-211) "16" strength 69, "22" strength 94, "28" strength 86, "34" strength 75 and "46" strength 89. My antenna is pointed at the tower farm from the east. Lower power than it was before (must be still working) but at least the picture is there.

LP-DT Issue:
The window closed last Friday ... it can take a while to compile these lists. This one shouldn't be too bad as there are not a lot of qualified applicants. Weigel should be able to request one companion for each licensed LP, not just one for their company.

Bookmark this site at the FCC:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/def..._summary&id=85

Any progress should be shown there. In our market it shouldn't actually come to an auction since all the LPs eligible are Weigel controled and would naturally pick non-conflicting channels.
post #373 of 3743 Old 07-08-2006, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalurker View Post

LP-DT Issue:
The window closed last Friday ... it can take a while to compile these lists. This one shouldn't be too bad as there are not a lot of qualified applicants. Weigel should be able to request one companion for each licensed LP, not just one for their company.

Bookmark this site at the FCC:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/def..._summary&id=85

Any progress should be shown there. In our market it shouldn't actually come to an auction since all the LPs eligible are Weigel controled and would naturally pick non-conflicting channels.

I hope that you are correct on this issue. It would be a lot better to provide each network at full resolution instead of dividing one DTV channel into 3 subchannels. (roughly SD quality)

post #374 of 3743 Old 07-08-2006, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Per the filing window announcement:
"Permittees and licensees filing in this window are eligible to apply for only a single digital companion channel for each existing analog channel."
post #375 of 3743 Old 07-10-2006, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

WNDU Digital Upgrade Project:
WNDU is proceeding with a project to raise the antenna height for its digital channel. Beginning week of May 8, 2006, the transmitting antenna will be removed and reinstalled over a period of several weeks during which a temporary antenna will be used to continue transmissions with lower power. The higher transmitting antenna will eliminate terrestrial and geographical signal blockages to many viewers, and will increase the coverage circle of the channel. Comcast cable viewers will not be affected.

LATEST INFORMATION:
Temporary antenna was activated @ 3:00 PM on Sunday, May 14th. For safety, digital transmitting power may be decreased or interrupted when workers are near this temporary antenna.
Transmitting antenna was removed and lowered to ground on Tuesday, May 23rd.
Tower extension had reached 720-feet above ground by noon on Monday, June 5th.
Antenna reinstalled and tower has reached greatest height on Thursday morning, June 15th.
Ceased operating from temporary antenna and resumed transmitting from reinstalled antenna at new height @ 6:30 PM on Tuesday, June 27th.
WNDU apologizes for any inconvenience to high definition viewers
post #376 of 3743 Old 07-12-2006, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Everyone,

All low-power stations in the last two weeks of June had an opportunity to
do what their full power counterparts did: apply to have an analog AND a digital
channel (IE, WSBT=analog 22/digital 30). Well, I was waiting for the applications to be filed, and...

Lots of stations filed! LP=Low Power unprotected station; DA=directional antenna with null(s) in at least one direction. Here we go:

South Bend, IN:

WMWB-LP (WB 25) has applied for channel 27 at 15 kW
WBND-LP (ABC 57) has applied for channel 49 at 15 kW DA
WMYS-LP (Ind 69) has applied for channel 23 at 15 kW DA

Very, very nicely done, Kyle (TVMICROWAVE2002) and gang at Weigel.
At 15 kw (as high as you can go), with a proper antenna, you'll get these
40 miles away. With an amplifier, 60 miles away. When WCIU was at 15 kw
in Chicago, I locked them 60 miles out with an attic antenna (ChannelMaster 4228 with a Channelmaster 7777 pre-amp)!

So, patience...these should go through...and then you guys get your ABC and CW in HD!

Thanks to "Trip" Erickson for the processed data. For more markets, see the "Low power digital companion channel" thread, which should be a "sticky" soon.

Gilbert
post #377 of 3743 Old 07-12-2006, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The thread is: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=698465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Well, after my post in the Third Round thread, I did some digging on the FCC site and found the companion channel applications. Yes, they've been filing them. Turns out they're listed as "new" instead of under their current call letters.

That explains why I wasn't finding them in the places I looked (although the auction site should be getting a list soon).

Thanks for passing the word!
post #378 of 3743 Old 07-13-2006, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

WMWB-LP (WB 25) has applied for channel 27 at 15 kW
WBND-LP (ABC 57) has applied for channel 49 at 15 kW DA
WMYS-LP (Ind 69) has applied for channel 23 at 15 kW DA

23 is the least promising. Lesea has a translator in Valparaiso (licensed with an on channel digital conversion filed March 31st) and WPTA has a full power signal in Fort Wayne both on channel 24. The directional pattern filed is below 0.1 for most directions. Yes they will be at 15kw at 311m AGL, but most areas will get a lot less than full power.

49 looks better, with nulls near 0.2 (on the same tower as 23 at the same height?). I've attached the polar plots from the FCC website for the antennas.

27 was filed at 297m AGL - but non-directional (same tower again).

FCC Database
LD 23 WMYS
LD 27 WMWB (CW)
LD 49 WBND
LL
LL
post #379 of 3743 Old 07-17-2006, 03:15 AM

How well do you think that WMWB would come in? In La Porte I am able to pick up WMWB-LP on 25 pretty clear. I wonder what the coverage of 27 at 15Kw will look like, and I hope it will come in just as good in La Porte.
post #380 of 3743 Old 07-17-2006, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Z View Post

How well do you think that WMWB would come in? In La Porte I am able to pick up WMWB-LP on 25 pretty clear. I wonder what the coverage of 27 at 15Kw will look like, and I hope it will come in just as good in La Porte.

You should. I will have to look at the plot again but I wouldn't see why not.

post #381 of 3743 Old 07-17-2006, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The coverage area for these LPs will most likely be related to the height of their antenna. Line of sight reception is always a major factor in receiving TV and FM signals, but IMHO it appears to be especially important with low power DTV. Unfortunately, the antenna height is not posted on the FCC files with these LP stations. I'm not sure what the limit is or the acceptable height.

UPDATE: Sorry, I didn't notice the posted info above about this station until after I submitted it. 15 kW @ 297 meters (975 ft.) should get out very well. If I figured correctly, line of sight from an antenna at 975 ft. would be around 44 miles. Not bad for an LP............

For example, up until a few weeks ago the local WB affiliate, WTTV-DT 48, was operating at low power with just 4 kW but with an antenna height of around 980 ft. (HAAT). I live 36 miles from the station's tower in Trafalgar, IN but had no problem receiving it with a decent antenna. Now the station is radiating 870 kW of power at a little over 1000 ft. and, yes, the signal at my location is a little stronger but my receiver hasn't really noticed the difference.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve
post #382 of 3743 Old 07-25-2006, 02:26 PM

Any updates on ABC 57 WBND upgrading there tower yet ? just curious...
post #383 of 3743 Old 07-25-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakanez View Post

Any updates on ABC 57 WBND upgrading there tower yet ? just curious...

Do you know of any current plans? At this point WMWB-LP, WBND-LP, and WMYS-LP are all located on the same tower. The new LD stations applied for will also occupy that tower but at this point they are ONLY applications.

Hopefully when they rebuilt the tower a couple of years ago they made it strong enough for all future needs.
post #384 of 3743 Old 07-26-2006, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you know of any current plans? At this point WMWB-LP, WBND-LP, and WMYS-LP are all located on the same tower. The new LD stations applied for will also occupy that tower but at this point they are ONLY applications.

Hopefully when they rebuilt the tower a couple of years ago they made it strong enough for all future needs.

Tower is pretty hearty. Of course we'll have it analized but it was built strong and mighty. (tim allen grunt)

post #385 of 3743 Old 07-26-2006, 06:16 PM

When will there be an answer on the HD channel for ABC 57? ND and Georgia Tech is getting closer..........
post #386 of 3743 Old 07-26-2006, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew31021 View Post

When will there be an answer on the HD channel for ABC 57? ND and Georgia Tech is getting closer..........

We're still waiting on FCC approval of our selections. After that, its time to buy and install. As for a time frame, I'd be guessing.

post #387 of 3743 Old 07-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

We're still waiting on FCC approval of our selections. After that, its time to buy and install. As for a time frame, I'd be guessing.

I'll take a guess.

Mike Lang
Administrator
post #388 of 3743 Old 07-27-2006, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Three months to get FCC approval (assuming there are no conflicts).
Beyond that it depends on how much disposable cash the station has.
(I don't expect it to be too long after FCC approval. These guys want to be HD!)

That's my guess.
post #389 of 3743 Old 07-27-2006, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Three months to get FCC approval (assuming there are no conflicts).
Beyond that it depends on how much disposable cash the station has.
(I don't expect it to be too long after FCC approval. These guys want to be HD!)

That's my guess.

You guessed correctly!!

post #390 of 3743 Old 07-29-2006, 07:47 AM

34.1 wnit is now 34.1 WNIT joining the all caps world of station IDs. Also, 20 miles away from S.B., the new improvements made by WNDU are noticable indeed. Signal strength has gone up from upper 60's to around 80 for me. Now if they could just get their encoder issues improved. I am not sure what equipment they use, but their OTA digital picture is the worst one in the market. Macro-blocking & jagged edges even on slow camera pans. Also, remember how they had to temporarliy suspend 16.2 for the olympics to try to improve the broadcast? The other stations are doing better...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page