South Bend, IN - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3743 Old 09-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 294
God the Irish looked great in HD on my 106" screen today. I can't go back to WBND in a couple weeks.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3743 Old 09-16-2006, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How did the irish look in HD against U of M?
post #453 of 3743 Old 09-16-2006, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by marnintim View Post

Would'a looked better if they didn't get spanked on home turf.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #454 of 3743 Old 09-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They stunk up the place at any resolution. Go Blue!
post #455 of 3743 Old 09-17-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

Would'a looked better if they didn't get spanked on home turf.

I forgot to turn the "sarcasm on" sign.......
post #456 of 3743 Old 09-21-2006, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I forgot to turn the "sarcasm on" sign.......

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

post #457 of 3743 Old 09-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator

The only thing that looked good tonight against Michigan State was the final score.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
post #458 of 3743 Old 09-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

God the Irish looked great in HD on my 106" screen today. I can't go back to WBND in a couple weeks.

Do you get NBC-HD by some other means than WNDU-DT OTA? I find that WNDU's combination of bit-starving 16.1 and outdated encoders cause macro-blocking on anything other than a static image.

We're waiting for ABC-HD, but if it turns into a Christmas present, so be it.

--Roland
post #459 of 3743 Old 09-26-2006, 08:13 AM

Hello,

Need an antenna installed on a 40' tower.

I'm aware that Peru is a bit removed from South Bend but maybe someone here knows of an experienced installer who covers Miami County area.

Thanks in advance.
post #460 of 3743 Old 09-28-2006, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

OK, we know from reports here that the CW is mixed in HD and eventually we will have a HD companion channel in South Bend so we can see the full screen.

But does the SD picture have to be cropped off of the sides? I recorded Smallville tonight and when I played it back I got a full screen picture - the sides of the 16:9 picture are missing. Yet every other SD CW station I have access to (thanks to satellite SuperStations WPIX/KWGN/KTLA) is transmitting a letterboxed picture.

I'm assuming that the CW network is sending SD as letterboxed (as most networks do) and our beloved local CW 25 is just cropping the HD signal to fill the screen. If this is not true I'd like to know why other CW affilates have a different SD feed than CW 25 uses.

I complained about this last year when it was WB 25 ruining Smallville (and all other widescreen programming). The producers of Smallville expect the full width to be on the screen. They place characters in that part of the frame that WE MISS in South Bend because of the local station's actions.

Please. Give the OTA NTSC viewers the full program. I'd rather watch and support a local station but I'll go elsewhere and watch out of market advertising if our local CW 25 doesn't want to give us the full picture.

Thanks for your time.
post #461 of 3743 Old 09-28-2006, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Illustrated: CW 25 vs CW's SD feed.
LL
LL
post #462 of 3743 Old 09-29-2006, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=justalurker]OK, we know from reports here that the CW is mixed in HD and eventually we will have a HD companion channel in South Bend so we can see the full screen.

But does the SD picture have to be cropped off of the sides? I recorded Smallville tonight and when I played it back I got a full screen picture - the sides of the 16:9 picture are missing. Yet every other SD CW station I have access to (thanks to satellite SuperStations WPIX/KWGN/KTLA) is transmitting a letterboxed picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalurker View Post

I'm assuming that the CW network is sending SD as letterboxed (as most networks do) and our beloved local CW 25 is just cropping the HD signal to fill the screen. If this is not true I'd like to know why other CW affilates have a different SD feed than CW 25 uses.

I complained about this last year when it was WB 25 ruining Smallville (and all other widescreen programming). The producers of Smallville expect the full width to be on the screen. They place characters in that part of the frame that WE MISS in South Bend because of the local station's actions.

Please. Give the OTA NTSC viewers the full program. I'd rather watch and support a local station but I'll go elsewhere and watch out of market advertising if our local CW 25 doesn't want to give us the full picture.

Thanks for your time.

Becuase of the way CW25 is delivered to South Bend, it is a physical imposibility to deliver both an HD and SD feed at the same time. Other CW stations have only 5-10 miles to transmit, so 2 paths is no problem. We have over 90 miles to send CW, ABC, and My Network. To bring both HD and SD feeds would require (6) 90+mile microwave paths. Not to mention we only have so much bandwidth to utilize; to deliver both would cut the HD quality by a third.

post #463 of 3743 Old 09-29-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Has anything happened to WSBT's HD signal in the past few days? I've had a lot of signal break ups, and signal strength has dropped about 10% points on my Fusion card, while the other SB/Elkhart channels are all at the same levels that they were a week ago. Just wondering if something is starting to go wrong with the transmitter (that could possibly affect those on the fringe of coverage maybe)?
post #464 of 3743 Old 09-29-2006, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

Becuase of the way CW25 is delivered to South Bend, it is a physical imposibility to deliver both an HD and SD feed at the same time. Other CW stations have only 5-10 miles to transmit, so 2 paths is no problem. We have over 90 miles to send CW, ABC, and My Network. To bring both HD and SD feeds would require (6) 90+mile microwave paths. Not to mention we only have so much bandwidth to utilize; to deliver both would cut the HD quality by a third.

Forgiving for the moment that SD takes up less bandwidth and that in essense doing a full SD feed on the path would be an increase from three HD microwave paths to the bandwidth of four HD microwave paths, can't some local switching be done?

It appears the station is taking the one HD feed for each station and downconverting and cropping it for OTA NTSC broadcast (and for SD feeds to cable/satellite). Apparently the decision has been made that it is better for the majority of your viewers (those with SD setups) to lose 25% of the picture. A second downconverter set on letterbox with a switch between the two converters or simple control of the one your station has (if possible) would provide a BETTER SD signal for the market. We've got two more years of SD ... don't give up on NTSC viewers!

I'm fortunate that I can get a distant CW signal (superstation) and see the whole feed. No one can get a distant ABC feed so the 25% crop imposed on them cannot be easily fixed (without a decent antenna for WOTV, WPTA or WLS). There has to be a better way of serving the market than this.

Even after CW25 and (ABC57) goes HD on the companion channels SD quality will remain an issue.

Thanks again for your time.
post #465 of 3743 Old 09-29-2006, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalurker View Post

Forgiving for the moment that SD takes up less bandwidth and that in essense doing a full SD feed on the path would be an increase from three HD microwave paths to the bandwidth of four HD microwave paths, can't some local switching be done?

It appears the station is taking the one HD feed for each station and downconverting and cropping it for OTA NTSC broadcast (and for SD feeds to cable/satellite). Apparently the decision has been made that it is better for the majority of your viewers (those with SD setups) to lose 25% of the picture. A second downconverter set on letterbox with a switch between the two converters or simple control of the one your station has (if possible) would provide a BETTER SD signal for the market. We've got two more years of SD ... don't give up on NTSC viewers!

I'm fortunate that I can get a distant CW signal (superstation) and see the whole feed. No one can get a distant ABC feed so the 25% crop imposed on them cannot be easily fixed (without a decent antenna for WOTV, WPTA or WLS). There has to be a better way of serving the market than this.

Even after CW25 and (ABC57) goes HD on the companion channels SD quality will remain an issue.

Thanks again for your time.

Check you PM's.

post #466 of 3743 Old 09-29-2006, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks.
post #467 of 3743 Old 09-30-2006, 09:23 PM

.........um, inquiring minds wanna know.......
post #468 of 3743 Old 09-30-2006, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #469 of 3743 Old 10-01-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a bit complicated. We'll weigh in some options and I will probably get some feedback from you guys too.

post #470 of 3743 Old 10-02-2006, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK we've looked at the situation and it's definately something we are going to explore. We have several ideas on how to do it we just need some time to make sure it'll work.

post #471 of 3743 Old 10-02-2006, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks again.
post #472 of 3743 Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone watch WSBT last night? Two and a Half men was in 4:3 SD?? Or did my Sage system tune in the wrong channel somehow (although I dont have any SD networks setup, so not sure how this could have happened). How I met your Mother and CSI Miami both recorded in HD from WSBT though.
post #473 of 3743 Old 10-03-2006, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

WSBT 22.1 is supposed to be HD all the time. 22.2 is SD all the time but doesn't air the same programming (former UPN feed is now "SBT2" alternate programming). 22.3 is weather (SD low bitrate) all the time. You shouldn't be able to get a WSBT CBS SD unless WSBT changed channel 22.1 for some reason or you're receiving analog.

It's not like WNDU where one tunes 16.1 for HD (including stretched SD>HD) and 16.2 for SD and a receiver could get confused.
post #474 of 3743 Old 10-03-2006, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah thats what I figured. I dont know what happened, but last night, at least from 9 to 9:30, it was SD 4:3. Everything on the recording detail indicated it was 22.1 that was recorded, unless somehow Sage forced my Fusion card to tune in analog 22, but Sage doesnt even know about the analog channels (I didnt set them up) and have no analog tuners in my system anywhere. Weird.

Come to think of it, I think there were a few sections of CSI Miami that were dropped down to 4:3 as well.
post #475 of 3743 Old 10-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator

I can confirm CSI Miami switched to 4:3 at the 47 minute mark of the show. All CBS HD shows seem to switch to 4:3 for the last minute or two. I assume it's something WSBT is doing.

Mike Lang
Administrator
post #476 of 3743 Old 10-03-2006, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, glad it wasnt my system screwing up. I should have checked my feed from WWMT on QAM and my CBS feed from NYC, but I didnt think of it.
post #477 of 3743 Old 10-03-2006, 07:19 PM

Any updates on OTA ABC 57 HD and when it might be available? Or is everything still pending? Thanks
post #478 of 3743 Old 10-03-2006, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclas View Post

Any updates on OTA ABC 57 HD and when it might be available? Or is everything still pending? Thanks

Still pending. Gotta love the FCC.

post #479 of 3743 Old 10-03-2006, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

113 filings for LD (low power distants) in September ... 12 so far this month. None from Indiana.

I know the FCC gave singletons until October 30th to file their Form 346 long form applications but it would be nice to see the apps before the deadlines get too close.

(Not that they have acted on any of the applications that have been filed ...)
post #480 of 3743 Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 PM

I assume it would take a few months to process the applications? So would be realistic to say that OTA ABC 57 HD won't be available until early 2007? Thanks
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page