South Bend, IN - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3757 Old 12-22-2006, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all, apparently the FCC has given us a CP for WCWW-LD. (27) I can't find it yet on their site but it's like fresh off the presses. I'll send more info when I have it.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3757 Old 12-22-2006, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

Hello all, apparently the FCC has given us a CP for WCWW-LD. (27) I can't find it yet on their site but it's like fresh off the presses. I'll send more info when I have it.

So we can expect a sign-on next week, right?

Hope your ABC digital companion channel gets approved today. That's what many people want here!

Gilbert
post #633 of 3757 Old 12-22-2006, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

So we can expect a sign-on next week, right?

Hope your ABC digital companion channel gets approved today. That's what many people want here!

Yeah we hope to make them happy viewers next year!

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

post #634 of 3757 Old 12-23-2006, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

Nothing on the FCC site yet --- still showing all three as applications even when drilling down to the applications. I have found things on their site before getting "official" notifications.

Good news for WCWW-LD ... and a sign of progress. I'm sure that there are those that wished it were WBND-LD first ... at least it wasn't WMYS-LD.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of Smallville at 8pm instead of waiting until 9pm for the out of market feed I've been watching (to avoid the crop). In HD will be good too!
post #635 of 3757 Old 12-24-2006, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Merry Christmas to All!!!

post #636 of 3757 Old 12-28-2006, 02:43 PM

forgive the noob question, but what's the reason for not having an OTA ABC channel here in south bend? legal issues? any ABC broadcast coming anytime soon?
post #637 of 3757 Old 12-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool2Die4 View Post

forgive the noob question, but what's the reason for not having an OTA ABC channel here in south bend? legal issues? any ABC broadcast coming anytime soon?

We have an OTA low power analog ABC on 57. Same goes for CW on 25. We're waiting for digitals though.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and help support the site. Help Support
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #638 of 3757 Old 12-28-2006, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hey guys I am suppose to get my new HDTV next week and I am trying to find out what channels are available in my area. I live in Baroda, Michigan and currently have Comcast analog cable. I bought the Samsung HLS5688 and it has a built in QAM tuner. Does anyone know what HD channels I should be able to tune in for free? I know I should be able to pick up some OTA, but since I have cable I am hoping I can get some though that.

Thanks,
Topp
post #639 of 3757 Old 12-28-2006, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

We have an OTA low power analog ABC on 57. Same goes for CW on 25. We're waiting for digitals though.

Yeah me too.......errr.......ummm....... I feel like I'm watching the antennas hang themselves waiting for the FCC's decisions.

post #640 of 3757 Old 12-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

I just know in my bones that all the mild weather we've been experiencing in the past few weeks is going to change to deep-freeze blizzard mode as soon as the FCC clears all the hurdles for WBND-LD/WCWW-LD/WMYS-LD.

--Roland
post #641 of 3757 Old 12-29-2006, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

There's a lot we can do indoors during bad weather. (i.e. transmitter installs, plumbing, stuff like that) The only winter wx concern I have is getting the truck(s) down the 1 mile gravel road to our TX building. (Got the company van stuck in the farm field last year. )

post #642 of 3757 Old 12-29-2006, 06:07 AM

topp:
Go to the Comcast web site http://www.comcast.com/default.html?
You'll have to enter your zip code and address.
In the channel line up, it looks like there's about 13 HD channels including some of the locals. WNDU and WSJV are not listed as being in HD
post #643 of 3757 Old 12-29-2006, 07:57 AM

Jimisham,

Thanks, I have done that in the past. The only thing I don't know is if I need to rent the HD box from them to get the Locals in HD. I really don't want to pay $5 a month to get the locals in HD, expecially since my TV has a built in QAM tuner. Do you have Comcast cable? If so do you get the local HD channels through them with out their HD box? I don't know anyone with a HD TV around me that has Comcast. My buddy has Dishnetwork, but then uses an antenna to pull in OTA HD channels.

Thanks,
Topp
post #644 of 3757 Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 AM

topp:
You can bet they'll try to rent you a box, even if you don't need it. I have read that some cable providers do not encrypt their local HD signals and with a QAM tuner you will be able to receive them, if you upgrade to the digitial tier. But for any of the other HD channels you will need a box. Do a Google search for Comcast and "QAM tuner".
We had Comcast cable until Directv put the South Bend SD locals up on satellite. We still haven't gone to HD because of the limited HD offerings from Directv. I'm hoping to see South Bend HD up on Directv next year. I watch this forum just to see what's happening with South Bend HD. I don't know of anyone in my neighborhood either that has Comcast HD.
post #645 of 3757 Old 12-29-2006, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisham View Post

topp:
You can bet they'll try to rent you a box, even if you don't need it. I have read that some cable providers do not encrypt their local HD signals and with a QAM tuner you will be able to receive them, if you upgrade to the digitial tier. But for any of the other HD channels you will need a box. Do a Google search for Comcast and "QAM tuner".
We had Comcast cable until Directv put the South Bend SD locals up on satellite. We still haven't gone to HD because of the limited HD offerings from Directv. I'm hoping to see South Bend HD up on Directv next year. I watch this forum just to see what's happening with South Bend HD. I don't know of anyone in my neighborhood either that has Comcast HD.

Chicago Comcast (from what I understand) doesn't encrypt their HD locals. I haven't personally tried it yet but the Chicago Comcast board here talks a bit about it.

post #646 of 3757 Old 12-30-2006, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisham View Post

topp:
In the channel line up, it looks like there's about 13 HD channels including some of the locals. WNDU and WSJV are not listed as being in HD

Yes, there are currently 13 non-premium HD channels on Comcast including NDU and SJV. The listing does not show ESPN2 or MHD. They are adding a golf HD channel in January (I'm sure most subscribers would rather see AMC or A&E).

The 2007 price increase will bring the HD service to $7 and DVR to $11.99/month.

BTW, just because the local channels are listed in the Comcast HD lineup, everything is not in HD. WNDU stretches their local news broadcast and everything else to 16:9 but it's still SD. They might be slightly sharper on the digital channel than the analog though.
post #647 of 3757 Old 12-30-2006, 11:43 AM

At the bottom of the page they say "Channels 187 - 192 are available on Basic Service with HDTV equipment". Does the HDTV equipment mean their HD box or just a tv with a QAM service? I guess I will figure it out next Thursday when I get the TV. Hopefully I will just have to scan the channels and it will pick those HD channels up. I am cheap by nature and all these additional monthly fees drive me nuts.

Thanks,
Topp
post #648 of 3757 Old 12-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topp View Post

At the bottom of the page they say "Channels 187 - 192 are available on Basic Service with HDTV equipment". Does the HDTV equipment mean their HD box

I believe that gets you an HD box with just those channels. If you have an antenna, you can get most of those channels OTA although WBND and WBBM won't be HD OTA. I believe WBND will have HD OTA soon though.
post #649 of 3757 Old 12-30-2006, 07:25 PM

That is kind of what I think too. I was hoping that I would be able to pull them in through the cable tv, for free. Worse comes to worse I will get an antenna to try to pick them up OTA.

Thanks,
Topp
post #650 of 3757 Old 12-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

A guy at work has Comcast in the Valpo area and his Toshiba LCD HDTV has the QAM tuner. He was able to pick up almost all his local channels in HD except for WFLD-DT. For some reason, his local Comcast made him get an HD box for that. However, I told him he needed to ask about a CableCard which Comcast eventually sold him for under $40 (no monthly charge). The only thing he misses by not having the HD Box is HD PPV and On Demand programming.

If you find that you're missing some of South Bend's & Elkhart's digital stations with your QAM tuner and your HDTV has the slot, I'd inquire about getting a CableCard from Comcast.

--Roland
post #651 of 3757 Old 01-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Talk about a true comparison...
The Tournament of Roses Parade is on right now on 3 channels:

Discovery HD looks and sounds (5.1) great.

16.1 WNDU has it in digital SDTV...stretched pic and stereo sound but watchable.

57 WBND...ugh

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the
and help support the site. Help Support
post #652 of 3757 Old 01-03-2007, 11:06 AM

In South Bend I am only able to receive ABC and WB HD with my QAM tuner hooked to Comcast.
post #653 of 3757 Old 01-03-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedamaja View Post

In South Bend I am only able to receive ABC and WB HD with my QAM tuner hooked to Comcast.

Currently our DTV signals in South Bend are only available via Comcast. We are awaiting Contstruction Permits from the FCC for DTV OTA.

post #654 of 3757 Old 01-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

hvs10trk, I don't see any entries here from the Rose Bowl on Monday, but watching WBND-TV OTA on channel 57, I noted several occasions where the audio cut out for 5-10 seconds at a time.

--Roland
post #655 of 3757 Old 01-03-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post

After the Fla-SC game (on WSBT ch 189) we went to the movies (Borat-very funny) and when we got back 2 hrs later, the DVR was locked up. Guess I won't leave it on that channel anymore.

I recorded Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer from channel 189 over the holidays and finally sat down to watch it. Less than 5 minutes in my cable box locked up. After a power cycle I started Rudolph again. The same thing happened in the same place.

Tivomaster and I have both reported this problem to Comcast and other switching DVRs (which didn't fix the problem) they've done nothing.

Now Superbowl 41 will be on CBS this year. My first year in watching the Superbowl in HD. I do not want it locking up then.

Now that I can reproduce this at will I'm calling Comcast again.
post #656 of 3757 Old 01-04-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post

hvs10trk, I don't see any entries here from the Rose Bowl on Monday, but watching WBND-TV OTA on channel 57, I noted several occasions where the audio cut out for 5-10 seconds at a time.

Hmmmm..... I dont see any alarms on my sampling software. Now I am REALLY puzzled. I am set up to monitor "AIR" and "Program" audio. Anything over 5 seconds (to eliminate comercial break alarms) I will get an email. I'll try 3 seconds.

post #657 of 3757 Old 01-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

I'm sorry I didn't receord the game (I had a nephew there) so I can't verify the exact length of time the audio dropouts lasted. In reality, they could have been shorter. I think 3 seconds for an alarm should capture some events, though.

--Roland
post #658 of 3757 Old 01-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrb5 View Post

I recorded Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer from channel 189 over the holidays and finally sat down to watch it. Less than 5 minutes in my cable box locked up. After a power cycle I started Rudolph again. The same thing happened in the same place.

Tivomaster and I have both reported this problem to Comcast and other switching DVRs (which didn't fix the problem) they've done nothing.

Now that I can reproduce this at will I'm calling Comcast again.

I watch WSBT OTA more often than not. I have never had a problem with a recorded program though. The lockups are totally random. I may watch for an hour or more with no problem, then the next time it locks up in 30 minutes. I haven't bothered to swap DVRs based on your previous post that it didn't fix the problem. I suspect it's more a DVR problem than a Comcast problem.
post #659 of 3757 Old 01-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Watching the AFL playoff today OTA on 22.1. Had at least 3 total dropouts lasting 2- 5 seconds each in the first half and a 15 second one early in the 2nd half. Also noticed quite a bit of pixelation or whatever it's called when you see squares breaking up. Could this be weather related? The analog feed is much worse than usual also. I may have to switch back to Comcast and see if my Moto 3416 will run for an hour or more without freezing on ch 189.
post #660 of 3757 Old 01-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

I was seeing a lot of pixelation and break-ups on the AFL game as well watching OTA WSBT-DT. The signal quality meter on my Dish ViP622 was usually steady at 90, but I was seeing periods were it dropped to 0, then came right back to 90. The picture break-up was not correlating to this, however. When the picture went crazy, the SQ meter was in the 90s, which leads me to believe it was a problem in the CBS feed or somewhere in the signal chain at WSBT.

--Roland
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page