Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3760 Old 02-10-2007, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

Does anyone have a list of what can be received on a TV with a QAM tuner from Comcast without a cable box?

I just got a new JVC TV in January. I did a scan and got CW and ABC HD channels, but not the rest of the locals. It must be just my TV, because other people have reported getting the other locals also. I also receive channels 2, 5, 7, and 11 from Chicago in SD. Also other people's Ondemand viewing and a bunch of SD channels like locals and basic cable channels, although some of them had no audio.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3760 Old 02-10-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesch1 View Post

I just got a new JVC TV in January. I did a scan and got CW and ABC HD channels, but not the rest of the locals. It must be just my TV, because other people have reported getting the other locals also. I also receive channels 2, 5, 7, and 11 from Chicago in SD. Also other people's Ondemand viewing and a bunch of SD channels like locals and basic cable channels, although some of them had no audio.

Al

Some boxes are more sensitive to lower signals than others. I use the Samsung SIR T-451. It's a bit sensitive but it works good on the QAM side. Although when I scan and get around channel 95-100 it manages to reboot itself. So I have to manually add channels.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #813 of 3760 Old 02-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Friday I watched Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy from the DVR recording I made Thursday. About 3 min before the end of Grey's and about 2 min into the start of Betty there were 10-15 second audio dropouts. The Grey's dropout was accompanied by some video signal degradation also.

I've been having some connectivity problems with Comcast cable internet recently. About 3 times in the last month, the connection will be lost for a few minutes, come back, drop out, etc. I usually turn off the computer after about the 3rd or 4th time. Doesn't seem to be any correlation between that and TV issues (which are rare other than the ABC dropouts) though.
post #814 of 3760 Old 02-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Does anyone know if there are any stand alone digital OTA converters for good old fashioned analog tv's on the market yet. No matter how much I try to Google any information on such a box, I only get results saying that there should be government subsidized tuners for analog tv's by 2009. However you can now buy analog tv's that have the digital tuners in them, but I can't seem to find a stand alone digital tuner for analog tv's. What gives?

Right now, I'm the only one able to pick up digital OTA because I have a Media Center PC with dual digital TV cards. My house mates want to pick up the digital OTA pretty bad, but right now to our knowledge it seems that the only solution is to buy a new tv. Am I over looking the stand alone tuners out there, or are they just not out there yet? If they are out there, can anyone point me in the right direction? It just doesn't make sense to buy a new tv when the current analog TV works fine, but just lacks a digital tuner.
post #815 of 3760 Old 02-10-2007, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixfury View Post

Does anyone know if there are any stand alone digital OTA converters for good old fashioned analog tv's on the market yet. No matter how much I try to Google any information on such a box, I only get results saying that there should be government subsidized tuners for analog tv's by 2009. However you can now buy analog tv's that have the digital tuners in them, but I can't seem to find a stand alone digital tuner for analog tv's. What gives?

Right now, I'm the only one able to pick up digital OTA because I have a Media Center PC with dual digital TV cards. My house mates want to pick up the digital OTA pretty bad, but right now to our knowledge it seems that the only solution is to buy a new tv. Am I over looking the stand alone tuners out there, or are they just not out there yet? If they are out there, can anyone point me in the right direction? It just doesn't make sense to buy a new tv when the current analog TV works fine, but just lacks a digital tuner.

A good portion of them have composite video outputs and analog audio outs.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

post #816 of 3760 Old 02-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

A good portion of them have composite video outputs and analog audio outs.

That's not a problem since we have an RF convector box that happens to have composite and s-video input connections. The issue we have is finding a standalone convector in the first place. I did manage to find a couple in my Google searches, but the odd thing is they were from a few years back and had since been discontinued. This doesn't make sense since the majority of TV owners still have analog tv's. You would think with analog broadcast going dark early 2009 that there would be more of these converters out by now. I have a really bad feeling come 2009, there's going to be a lot of really miffed people when their tubes go dark and they have no recourse for getting anything OTA. I guess the exception would be to have to buy a new tv. I find that unaceptable.
post #817 of 3760 Old 02-11-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not a problem since we have an RF convector box that happens to have composite and s-video input connections. The issue we have is finding a standalone convector in the first place. I did manage to find a couple in my Google searches, but the odd thing is they were from a few years back and had since been discontinued. This doesn't make sense since the majority of TV owners still have analog tv's. You would think with analog broadcast going dark early 2009 that there would be more of these converters out by now. I have a really bad feeling come 2009, there's going to be a lot of really miffed people when their tubes go dark and they have no recourse for getting anything OTA. I guess the exception would be to have to buy a new tv. I find that unaceptable.

You are talking about a set-top DTV tuner right? Go to Best Buy or Circuit City. They should have a couple of models each store. Tweeter would be a good one too but they're a little pricier than the others.

post #818 of 3760 Old 02-11-2007, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help irt saving copies offline / off DVR:

I am curious if any here have settled on method of saving copies to DVD. By that I mean to lift the signal and record to DVD, not the DVR. It's a concern that external drives will eventually fail, so I'd like LT storage on DVD.

Crazy perhaps, but I'm not inclined to import data onto computer (unless just to burn DVD from there). In fact, if I was going to try the firewire solution it would probably involve a dedicated computer tied to the AV system -or- insert laptop on temp basis. Originally I thought convergence a good idea / now feel one-way (computer to TV, slideshows, etc.) will be the extent of interaction for now.

It's been my intention to just add in a DVD recorder. Originally I thought to buy a DVD recorder with it's own tuner, but many seem to have such limited range of channels it would exclude some channels I'd like to record and save. I can't decide which direction to go.

* direct cable line to stand alone DVD recorder
* feed from HDTV output to stand alone DVD recorder
* stand alone DVD recorder in-line between DVR and HDTV

HD recordings to DVD might be more than I should hope for (data size might require extended transfer rate for events > two hours, so diminish hard copy on DVD). In past I was satisfied to save copies to VHS, so reasonable to expect DVD would be better and more stable medium even if lower quality than digital / HD, no?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance,
etchasketch

ps - I have already read: http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/

sys: Comcast Digital Plus / Comcast Bband / moto dct 3416 / LG 37lc2d

HDTV isn't plug and play, it's a journey ...

BetaMax video / Blaupunkt 8-track audio
post #819 of 3760 Old 02-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You are talking about a set-top DTV tuner right? Go to Best Buy or Circuit City. They should have a couple of models each store. Tweeter would be a good one too but they're a little pricier than the others.

Yeah I meant converter, not convector. Wow, I didn't notice that one got through Firefox's spell checker. LOL But yes I mean a set top box DTV tuner. Thankyou.
post #820 of 3760 Old 02-11-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I meant converter, not convector. Wow, I didn't notice that one got through Firefox's spell checker. LOL But yes I mean a set top box DTV tuner. Thankyou.

If you dont like what you see at the stores then Ebay is a good place to search too. My Samsung t451 has composite (regular TV) component (HD) and RF (regular tv set to ch 3/4). You'll most likely in the setup menus of the box tell it what output to use. For example on my box all resolution settings (480p, 720p, 1080i) are HD outputs therefore use the component output. 480i will use the standard yellow composite output thus compatible with most TV's. It all else fails the RF output can be used.

post #821 of 3760 Old 02-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Orv

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchasketch View Post

Help irt saving copies offline / off DVR:

I am curious if any here have settled on method of saving copies to DVD. By that I mean to lift the signal and record to DVD, not the DVR. It's a concern that external drives will eventually fail, so I'd like LT storage on DVD.

Crazy perhaps, but I'm not inclined to import data onto computer (unless just to burn DVD from there). In fact, if I was going to try the firewire solution it would probably involve a dedicated computer tied to the AV system -or- insert laptop on temp basis. Originally I thought convergence a good idea / now feel one-way (computer to TV, slideshows, etc.) will be the extent of interaction for now.

It's been my intention to just add in a DVD recorder. Originally I thought to buy a DVD recorder with it's own tuner, but many seem to have such limited range of channels it would exclude some channels I'd like to record and save. I can't decide which direction to go.

* direct cable line to stand alone DVD recorder
* feed from HDTV output to stand alone DVD recorder
* stand alone DVD recorder in-line between DVR and HDTV

HD recordings to DVD might be more than I should hope for (data size might require extended transfer rate for events > two hours, so diminish hard copy on DVD). In past I was satisfied to save copies to VHS, so reasonable to expect DVD would be better and more stable medium even if lower quality than digital / HD, no?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance,
etchasketch

ps - I have already read: http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/

sys: Comcast Digital Plus / Comcast Bband / moto dct 3416 / LG 37lc2d

I use a MCE PC and can tell you reliably that one hour of 1080i content takes up a little more than 7GB in DVR-MS/MP4 format.
If you are intending to burn this to DVD you will require either a Blue Ray or HD-DVD burner unit for the task.
Standard DVDs won't hold that much data on a single side. (4.7GB)

Happy HD
--Orv (PC guy)
post #822 of 3760 Old 02-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Need I mention the 3 sec audio dropout on Housewives last night? About 9:27.
post #823 of 3760 Old 02-12-2007, 05:29 PM

thx Orv, for providing the data calc. Guess I'm leaning rowards SD version recordings then. Like so many others I am waiting to see whether Beta or VHS wins out (and / or one / both BlueRay / HD-DVD get a bit less expensive).

As an alternate, I am also considering having a friend who works at an OEM cobble together a basic desktop (with tuner and a massive hard disk) dedicated to the DVR / HDTV.

For now I just want to be able to make recordings and will be satisfied if they are digital SD on DVD.

BR, etch

HDTV isn't plug and play, it's a journey ...

BetaMax video / Blaupunkt 8-track audio
post #824 of 3760 Old 02-13-2007, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post

Need I mention the 3 sec audio dropout on Housewives last night? About 9:27.

Hmmmm, getting closer. I did find one problem with WBND yesterday that I fixed. Doesn't look like it fixed the random dropouts.

post #825 of 3760 Old 02-13-2007, 10:27 AM

apologies for the noob question.

i have the comcast HD box hooked up to my samsung as my main tv. i would like to add a secondary hdtv in my bar area in my basement. the tv i am looking at has an NTSC tuner built in. would hooking up my comcast feed directly to this tv - without the silver HD box - allow me to view some channels in HD?

i know this has been discussed before on the site, but i could not recall what the final answer was.

edit:
after reading further, it looks like i need a QAM tuner, correct? are a QAM tuner and the ATSC tuner the same thing?
post #826 of 3760 Old 02-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Orv

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchasketch View Post

thx Orv, for providing the data calc. Guess I'm leaning rowards SD version recordings then. Like so many others I am waiting to see whether Beta or VHS wins out (and / or one / both BlueRay / HD-DVD get a bit less expensive).

As an alternate, I am also considering having a friend who works at an OEM cobble together a basic desktop (with tuner and a massive hard disk) dedicated to the DVR / HDTV.

For now I just want to be able to make recordings and will be satisfied if they are digital SD on DVD.

BR, etch

While waiting for pricing to come down on the new Hi Def DVD formats is a wise choice, I wouldn't concern myself with the DVD war outcome. Unlike the old VHS/Betamax wars there will not be an end to this anytime soon. Both formats are planning to support their offerings to the hilt and since they have identical transports you can bet that dual-support hardware units are already being planned out at the manufacturing end.
On top of the current plethora of DVD burning media types, there will just be another couple flavors added to the mix.

For now I am just using some simple editing software to split content into spanned disk sets and burning them onto standard 4.7GB RW media to save until I can find a reasonable HD-DVD or Blue Ray unit to add to my hardware.

Luckily for me, I actually decide to keep very little from regular TV fare.
I do like Heroes though... so those episodes are starting to stack up on DVDs here at my house.
Lord that stuff looks great in 1080.

=)
--Orv
post #827 of 3760 Old 02-14-2007, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool2Die4 View Post

apologies for the noob question.

i have the comcast HD box hooked up to my samsung as my main tv. i would like to add a secondary hdtv in my bar area in my basement. the tv i am looking at has an NTSC tuner built in. would hooking up my comcast feed directly to this tv - without the silver HD box - allow me to view some channels in HD?

i know this has been discussed before on the site, but i could not recall what the final answer was.

edit:
after reading further, it looks like i need a QAM tuner, correct? are a QAM tuner and the ATSC tuner the same thing?

QAM and ATSC are not the same thing. Some TVs will tune QAM and some won't. If the TV has CableCard, then it has a QAM tuner. Some TVs without CableCard do have QAM.
post #828 of 3760 Old 02-14-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post

Both formats are planning to support their offerings to the hilt and since they have identical transports you can bet that dual-support hardware units are already being planned out at the manufacturing end.

--Orv

The LG BH100 will play both and is available now but, at the current price tag you could buy two seperate players for each.
post #829 of 3760 Old 02-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is anybody else having a weird problem with their 6412? Mine has froze at 4:50 PM three days in a row. The first two days it was on WNDU HD, I don't know about today. Anybody else have the same problem?
post #830 of 3760 Old 02-17-2007, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post

Is anybody else having a weird problem with their 6412? Mine has froze at 4:50 PM three days in a row. The first two days it was on WNDU HD, I don't know about today. Anybody else have the same problem?

Do you use series recording with extra time added to the beginning or end of the show? I have heard reports that the box will lock up under those conditions. At 4:50 am and pm the box scans the guide listings for shows that match your series recording list. Something about adding time before or after the show locks up the box. I have never had this problem, but I only ever added time on one series before I heard that it would cause problems.

I consider myself very lucky, as I have had my 6412 for over 2 years now and haven't had any serious problems that I couldn't deal with. There is a Wikipedia page for info on the 6412/3412 http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_..._4:50_AM_or_PM

Al
post #831 of 3760 Old 02-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post

Is anybody else having a weird problem with their 6412?

I have a 3416 and it will consistently freeze on WSBT ch 189. It may happen in 15 min or it may take a couple hours but it will happen. At least one other poster here reports the same problem on at least two different 3416s. It will even record a program without a problem and then freeze during playback. As a result, I watch OTA for the HD stuff and ch 12 for the SD stuff.

Once in a while, it will not respond to commands from the remote. Generally it appears to hold the commands in a buffer and then execute them in rapid succession. The other night it stopped responding and I had to power it down.

I think all these Moto boxes are not fully debugged yet.
post #832 of 3760 Old 02-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesch1 View Post

Do you use series recording with extra time added to the beginning or end of the show? I have heard reports that the box will lock up under those conditions. At 4:50 am and pm the box scans the guide listings for shows that match your series recording list. Something about adding time before or after the show locks up the box. I have never had this problem, but I only ever added time on one series before I heard that it would cause problems.

I consider myself very lucky, as I have had my 6412 for over 2 years now and haven't had any serious problems that I couldn't deal with. There is a Wikipedia page for info on the 6412/3412 http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_..._4:50_AM_or_PM

Al

I always set my shows to begin recording 2 mins before and end 2 mins after because if I don't, I'll miss part of the episode because it will be cut off because the station is set on a different time than the dvr.
post #833 of 3760 Old 02-18-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Some boxes are more sensitive to lower signals than others. I use the Samsung SIR T-451. It's a bit sensitive but it works good on the QAM side. Although when I scan and get around channel 95-100 it manages to reboot itself. So I have to manually add channels.

so are the built-in TV QAM tuners not as good as the external tuners (like the samsung you have)?
post #834 of 3760 Old 02-19-2007, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool2Die4 View Post

so are the built-in TV QAM tuners not as good as the external tuners (like the samsung you have)?

Not necessarily. It would depend on the manufacturer. It all depends on how cheap they went.

post #835 of 3760 Old 02-19-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello fellow AVS'ers, just wanted to give everyone an update on the random audio dropouts we experience on WBND and WCWW. Currently we are working through WBND's airchain piece by piece to determine who (equipment) is dropping the audio. Once we find a cure we will apply it to WCWW as well.

post #836 of 3760 Old 02-19-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the update ...
post #837 of 3760 Old 02-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Good to hear...

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #838 of 3760 Old 02-22-2007, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello fellow AVS'ers, just wanted to give everyone an update on the random audio dropouts we experience on WBND and WCWW. Currently we are working through WBND's airchain piece by piece to determine who (equipment) is dropping the audio. Once we find a cure we will apply it to WCWW as well.

So far, so good. We may have a winner. Just waiting a couple more days and we will try the same thing with WCWW.

post #839 of 3760 Old 02-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Didn't notice any audio dropouts) on Grey's Anatomy last night but there were several instances of video noise (slight pixelation for a second.)
post #840 of 3760 Old 02-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post

Didn't notice any audio dropouts) on Grey's Anatomy last night but there were several instances of video noise (slight pixelation for a second.)

I didn't see any pixellation OTA or on Dish's WBND feed. No audio dropouts, either.

--Roland
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page