post #991 of 3743 Old 07-25-2007, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalurker View Post

Likely in September ... one doesn't have to read too far back to see that the antenna installs have been pushed into early August. Then it is just a matter of doing the right wiring to get it all to work!

Well I'd aim more for end of august for on-air date. We're moving the WMYS-LD transmitter on thursday from Chicago. Everything is looking on target!!!

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3743 Old 07-25-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosc33 View Post

Because I don't want to go back and read this entire thread (I'm lazy), can someone clarify what exactly is happening with ABC 57 in South Bend? Will there be over-the-air HD programming soon?

Yep. We're installing WBND-LD, WCWW-LD, and WMYS-LD the first full week in August. (Tower installs are pending weather of course)

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

post #993 of 3743 Old 07-25-2007, 07:41 PM

Liked: 10
That is awesome ... just in time for Football season!!!
post #994 of 3743 Old 07-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

Yep. We're installing WBND-LD, WCWW-LD, and WMYS-LD the first full week in August. (Tower installs are pending weather of course)

Are you guys in contact with companies like Tribune Media Services who provide program listings? They'll need the new info so that viewers are able to schedule recordings on their TiVos, etc.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #995 of 3743 Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

Are you guys in contact with companies like Tribune Media Services who provide program listings? They'll need the new info so that viewers are able to schedule recordings on their TiVos, etc.

I'll mention it but I'm sure we are.

post #996 of 3743 Old 07-27-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

WMYS-DT (23) transmitter. Had to relocate it from Chicago.
LL

post #997 of 3743 Old 07-27-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

WMYS-DT (23) transmitter. Had to relocate it from Chicago.

But it's empty! Send it back, you got robbed!

Seriously though, it's amazing that this thing is so small, and yet, when it hits the air (along with its two sisters), it will go 50 miles plus with a 30' large outdoor antenna, if you are in its main directional lobe.

Gilbert
post #998 of 3743 Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

I like how on the Google photo that justalurker linked to, the antenna extends to the bottom of the picture, but when you look at the houses along 331, they all go the opposite way. Google did a good job stitching the aerial photos together.

Speaking of weather, we have had drought conditions here in Michiana for six weeks, and now that the antennas and waveguides are on site, the skies open up. What's up with that?

Seriously, though, I'm looking forward to seeing ABC-HD at last. Work safe!

--Roland
post #999 of 3743 Old 07-27-2007, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

But it's empty! Send it back, you got robbed!

Seriously though, it's amazing that this thing is so small, and yet, when it hits the air (along with its two sisters), it will go 50 miles plus with a 30' large outdoor antenna, if you are in its main directional lobe.

We elected to remove the amplifiers before trying to move it. Their sitting on the floor behind my photo position.

post #1000 of 3743 Old 07-27-2007, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post

I like how on the Google photo that justalurker linked to, the antenna extends to the bottom of the picture, but when you look at the houses along 331, they all go the opposite way. Google did a good job stitching the aerial photos together.

Speaking of weather, we have had drought conditions here in Michiana for six weeks, and now that the antennas and waveguides are on site, the skies open up. What's up with that?

Seriously, though, I'm looking forward to seeing ABC-HD at last. Work safe!

The soybeans look good in the field outside the fence. An additional note about that photo, the 2 7ghz microwave antennas that are at the top in the photo, are now towards the bottom!!!

post #1001 of 3743 Old 07-31-2007, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

T-Minus 6 days and counting. The remaining transmitters are scheduled for delivery on Monday the 6th. After that its time for installation. We're expecting a week for transmitter installation and a couple of weeks for tower related installs. Keep your fingers crossed for the poor tower guys that they have good weather.

post #1002 of 3743 Old 07-31-2007, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Before ...
WCWW-LP 25 at the top with WBND-LP 57 just below and WMYS-LP 69 below the guy wire. WBND-LD 49 will fit between these (just above WMYS-LP) with WCWW-LD 27 and WMYS-LD 23 (in that order) just below the current WMYS-LP antenna.

Photo taken this evening at about 5:50pm ET.
LL
post #1003 of 3743 Old 07-31-2007, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice pic. That's better than any I have so far. Maybe if I pick a non-cloudy day I'll have better luck.

post #1004 of 3743 Old 08-01-2007, 07:52 PM

Hello All,

Here are some Longley-Rice and contour maps displaying the coverage of the three new LD stations. Some things to keep in mind:

1) Tiger maps generated from the FCC's site to not show apples to apples for coverage of full power vs low power class stations. Full power contours are displayed as 41 dBu, low power as 51 dBu. I.E., full power contours are shown with 10 db more coverage out of the gate. This is simply a matter of expression and not power. The maps I have attached show two contours, the inner is 51 dBu and the outer is 41 dBu.

2) As some of you know, contour circles mean nothing. Terrain and frequency drastically affect the signal. 5 million watts at channel 14 will go much further than 5 million watts on channel 69, even with tuned receive antennas. Notice the color shading. It reflects a predicted computer model signal based on terrain and frequency.

3) Don't get excited and cuss WBND when you see these. What this map doesn't display is received interference from other stations. WBND has minimal received interference. The inversions will affect channel 27 more than any other station.

4) The maps are slightly distorted. This is due to the PDF conversion. To lazy to fix but you get the idea.

Those of you who are familiar with the FCC and LPTV know that LPTV operators have always been short changed when it comes to FCC rules and operations. The NAB hates LPTV and spends dollars to damper it. For those who may not know, the FCC filled nearly all of the full power spectrum in the 1970s and 80's. If you wanted to start a TV station in the 90's, you had no choice but to build a LPTV station. Weigel doesn't operate LPTV stations because they're "cheap", we do it because it is the only way to get a TV station on the air!

The good news is after the analog shutdown, there will be better options and since our transmitter and transmission line is UHF broadband, we will be ready to jump channels with the change of the antenna.

WMYS-LD.pdf 150.650390625k . file

WCWW-LD.pdf 159.119140625k . file

WBND-LD.pdf 152.337890625k . file
post #1005 of 3743 Old 08-02-2007, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmicrowave2002 View Post

Hello All,

Here are some Longley-Rice and contour maps displaying the coverage of the three new LD stations. Some things to keep in mind:

1) Tiger maps generated from the FCC's site to not show apples to apples for coverage of full power vs low power class stations. Full power contours are displayed as 41 dBu, low power as 51 dBu. I.E., full power contours are shown with 10 db more coverage out of the gate. This is simply a matter of expression and not power. The maps I have attached show two contours, the inner is 51 dBu and the outer is 41 dBu.

2) As some of you know, contour circles mean nothing. Terrain and frequency drastically affect the signal. 5 million watts at channel 14 will go much further than 5 million watts on channel 69, even with tuned receive antennas. Notice the color shading. It reflects a predicted computer model signal based on terrain and frequency.

3) Don't get excited and cuss WBND when you see these. What this map doesn't display is received interference from other stations. WBND has minimal received interference. The inversions will affect channel 27 more than any other station.

4) The maps are slightly distorted. This is due to the PDF conversion. To lazy to fix but you get the idea.

Those of you who are familiar with the FCC and LPTV know that LPTV operators have always been short changed when it comes to FCC rules and operations. The NAB hates LPTV and spends dollars to damper it. For those who may not know, the FCC filled nearly all of the full power spectrum in the 1970s and 80's. If you wanted to start a TV station in the 90's, you had no choice but to build a LPTV station. Weigel doesn't operate LPTV stations because they're "cheap", we do it because it is the only way to get a TV station on the air!

The good news is after the analog shutdown, there will be better options and since our transmitter and transmission line is UHF broadband, we will be ready to jump channels with the change of the antenna.

Thanks for the great info.
I don't understand what you mean on no. 3 "The inversions will affect channel 27 more than any other station." Could you explain this? thanks

Al
post #1006 of 3743 Old 08-02-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesch1 View Post

Thanks for the great info.
I don't understand what you mean on no. 3 "The inversions will affect channel 27 more than any other station." Could you explain this? thanks

Al

Interference from other stations.

post #1007 of 3743 Old 08-06-2007, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Installation starts today!!! The 2 remaining transmitters will be arriving by truck today and ready for installation. (Just in time for the heavy rain they're predicting)
I'll have an update tonight as well as some pics (maybe).

post #1008 of 3743 Old 08-06-2007, 03:59 AM

Good news, hoping to see something this week??
post #1009 of 3743 Old 08-06-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't you wish transmitter installs were "plug 'n play"?

Gilbert
post #1010 of 3743 Old 08-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 286
OK, I just ordered a new HiDef Series 3 TiVo to replace my standard def Series 2. This box was only used to record CW & ABC. Bring it on!!!

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #1011 of 3743 Old 08-06-2007, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

Don't you wish transmitter installs were "plug 'n play"?

I just wish the crate's would open themselves.

post #1012 of 3743 Old 08-06-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcdonough View Post

Good news, hoping to see something this week??

Not unless they make adapters from 3" line to coat hanger. Transmitters should be up and cooking by the end of the week, but we still need to hang the line and antennas. (which is a multiple week process)

post #1013 of 3743 Old 08-06-2007, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Well day 1 went pretty good. It was a bit sweaty unloading the crates but they're inside in the cool air for tommorow. I included some pics below. The last one "The NEW Lineup" from left to right is WMYS-DT, WCWW-DT, WBND-DT. Tommorow is starting the RF and interconnects for all 3 transmitters. Everybody enjoy the storms tonight!!
LL
LL
LL

post #1014 of 3743 Old 08-06-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just wish the crate's would open themselves.

HVS, if they did that, you either have heat stroke, or would have a stroke!

Gilbert
post #1015 of 3743 Old 08-07-2007, 05:50 AM

i'll be happy to hold an umbrella.
post #1016 of 3743 Old 08-08-2007, 09:25 PM

anyone know what the transmitter located east of 331, right off of Kelly rd, intersection of Fern Rd. and Roosevelt Rd? Its one of the big 4 on the hill, been around forever, but I've never figured out whats coming out of it...
post #1017 of 3743 Old 08-08-2007, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Lesea's WHME TV is at that location (both analog and digital transmitters).

The studios are over on Ironwood just south of WNDU TV's towers.
post #1018 of 3743 Old 08-09-2007, 12:52 PM

ahh, ok. i assumed their TX towers were on the ironwood property, since there's a bunch of antennas there. what else are they broadcasting?
post #1019 of 3743 Old 08-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

hvs10trk, thanks for the pictures. Looks like a nice installation! The last time I was in a transmitter building, it was at WSBT's transmiter location on Ironwood back in the 1970s. I remember they had several full-sized cabinets, each holding a single water-cooled Klystron tube. Those were the days, huh?

In other local Digital news, I noticed that WHME-DT is now 46.1 & 46.2, identified as WHT. The bug on this channel says "ORM.CC".

--Roland
post #1020 of 3743 Old 08-09-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Well the transmitters are installed and powered up. They are set to be proofed next week. After that they are ready to transmit, except for one small problem. We don't have a tower crew yet. Seems there's a short supply of them. Any volunteers?? Some new pictures below.
LL
LL

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page