South Bend, IN - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3760 Old 06-13-2005, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A lot of information can be found on the FCC website ...
Start here > http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

The details of what has been applied for are elsewhere in the FCC's "CDBS".

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the low power issue, but IIRC they have to choose a channel to move to or do a splash cutover on their existing channel. The CA level of low power has more options ... IIRC regular LPs just have the splash cut option.

Considering that they are apparently allowed EITHER NTSC *OR* ATSC I doubt if they will cut over until a lot of people have ATSC tuners.

BTW:
WMWB-LP just filed for it's license renewal on March 30th (along with the other Indiana TV stations). No other applications pending.
WBND-LP also filed for it's renewal (March 29th) and has nothing else pending.
The other Weigel LP, WAAT-LP 69, filed it's renewal on March 30th.

JL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3760 Old 06-13-2005, 10:38 PM

I believe that the change in MNF to ESPN will not be until the "06" season. Of course, the ABC college games are badly missed as well.

Is there a published FCC mandate for LPTV to go digital?

aggie
post #93 of 3760 Old 06-14-2005, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I don't see a date in the FCC rules ...
Here they are if anyone wants to look
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-04-220A1.pdf

Everything is going digital - so there is a mandate ... the deadline is less obvious.

JL
post #94 of 3760 Old 06-15-2005, 02:17 PM

Just wanted to bump and suscribe to this....I'm a noob here and was hoping to get some direction. I'm still reading, though....

I'm going to be moving to the South Bend area soon; my fiancee is already in Mishawaka, and we've got a brand new Samsung HDTV that I really want to try out. DVDs look awesome, but I was hoping to test out some of the HDTV programming thats available. So that's basically my question - what's available and how do I get it? We've got Comcast digital cable with HBO, but it looks like comcast only provides like 2 local channels and then some movies? Most of our TV watching is on the major networks, plus things like TBS, TNT, MTV, etc. I'd like ESPN in HD, too. I can't get some of those extended stations over the air, can I? Speaking of, what do I need to get them over the air (that's my next research after posting this :-) )

I guess in summary, in the South Bend area, what is the best option to get the most HD programming available? Thanks for any info!
post #95 of 3760 Old 06-15-2005, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

In Mishawaka you shouldn't have too much problem getting the networks over the air - NBC, CBS, FOX and PBS HD feeds are available ... Comcast carries a couple of those feeds.

ABC and WB are low power stations in the South Bend market and probably won't be HD for many years. UPN is a digital only station (a subchannel of the CBS station) and will not be HD. (There has been hints of time shifting the UPN primetime to show it in HD, but they don't do that.)

As far as other channels - besides Comcast (which you have found) there is DirecTV and Dish Network satellite services available. Both of them are developing their lineups and Dish is expecting to make major improvements in the fall/beginning of 2006. So my simple advice is don't make long term comittments to any company.

JL
post #96 of 3760 Old 06-19-2005, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmicman View Post

Just wanted to bump and suscribe to this....I'm a noob here and was hoping to get some direction. I'm still reading, though....

I'm going to be moving to the South Bend area soon; my fiancee is already in Mishawaka, and we've got a brand new Samsung HDTV that I really want to try out. DVDs look awesome, but I was hoping to test out some of the HDTV programming thats available. So that's basically my question - what's available and how do I get it? We've got Comcast digital cable with HBO, but it looks like comcast only provides like 2 local channels and then some movies? Most of our TV watching is on the major networks, plus things like TBS, TNT, MTV, etc. I'd like ESPN in HD, too. I can't get some of those extended stations over the air, can I? Speaking of, what do I need to get them over the air (that's my next research after posting this :-) )

I guess in summary, in the South Bend area, what is the best option to get the most HD programming available? Thanks for any info!

Comcast is probably your best bet for the channels you mention. They have TNTHD, ESPNHD, Comcast SportsnetHD, InHD 1 & 2, CBS, NBC, PBS. Comcast is probably the most expensive option, but there is no long term obligation.
post #97 of 3760 Old 06-19-2005, 05:22 PM

Alesh1, I would reccommend DISH, the 10 VOOM channels in HD are a blast. In addition, Comcast does not carry all of the local HD channels, so you need an ATSC receiver anyway.

With a simple antenna, you wil receive all of the locals easily. DISH also has SHOHD, HBOHD, TNTHD, HDnet, HDmovies, and Discovery HD.

Currently, there is no way tp receive ABC HD from any source.

aggie
post #98 of 3760 Old 06-19-2005, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie View Post

doh, how do I get my NBA Finals in HD then? :-) Thanks for all the good info guys - I think I might start looking into an OTA antenna / receiver....where do I start for that?
post #99 of 3760 Old 06-19-2005, 06:21 PM

edmicman, The DISH HD receiver has an ATSC receiver built-in. The Comcast stb's have no such feature. Direct HD satelite receivers also feature ATSC tuners.

We can receive ABC in STD via a LPTV station.

aggie
post #100 of 3760 Old 06-20-2005, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

As for the antenna, it won't take much to pick up the stations in Mishawaka. I'm further away over in Elkhart and decided to get a cheap Radio Shack outdoor UHF that has served me well. Check out Antennaweb.org and you will see that the simplist "Yellow" antenna will get you all the digital locals. (SD versions of nearly all the channels are available on Comcast and DishNetwork ...)

I *have* been able to pull in the ABC from Fort Wayne, but I am in Elkhart. I don't see even the analog version of WPTA listed on antennaweb from Mishawaka.

JL
post #101 of 3760 Old 06-20-2005, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

BTW: I decided to reconnect my Fort Wayne antenna. I am still able to pull in WPTA-DT 24 (21.1 and 21.2).
Signal strengths: (on my Samsung SIR-150)
Local channels are mostly "halfway" on the signal strength meter ... about 8 bars.
WPTA-DT is currently (middle of the night) coming in at 3 bars (25%?).

I'm using two of RS's cheapest UHF Only ("Red") antennas and no amp.

Analog channels are worthless from Fort Wayne.
WPTA-21 is too close to WSBT-22 and unless I install an antenna switch or give up on my own locals it won't improve. WANE-15 is also poor ... but that is expected with WNDU-16 booming in. WISE-33 is watchable but weak but will be worse when local WNIT-34 turns back on in the morning. WFWA-39 and WFFT-55 are poor quality (I'm actually getting better signal out of WOTV-41 Battle Creek ... and I don't have an antenna pointed that way.)

I'm actually getting a better signal on WPTA-DT than any of the non-local analogs. Which is promising. I'll have to check during the daytime and see if I lose it.

Update:
The sun came up and the signal went down. Guess I'll have to reserve my WPTA viewing for nighttime. (The Fort Wayne analogs all went away.)

JL
post #102 of 3760 Old 06-20-2005, 05:55 PM

Quote:

A friend of mine has Directv and gets ABCHD on the satellite because ABC57 in South Bend is a low power station, and he lives far enough away to be out of the b grade area. He lives in Goshen.
post #103 of 3760 Old 06-26-2005, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Unfortunately Mishawaka is too close to the transmitter to be outside of Grade B.
WBND "ABC57" Coverage - per FCC

Looks like D* needs to update their database as well. Goshen is inside Grade B.

JL
post #104 of 3760 Old 06-26-2005, 10:09 PM

justalurker: Any ideas about any relief from the "Digital White Area" legislation? It seems we should al qualify for distant HD from ABC, with no local service in sight in any future projection.

aggie
post #105 of 3760 Old 06-26-2005, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Hey gang,

I just had to check in from Illinois tonight. I'm watching WNDU-DT 16.3's radar
spin "backwards" (they do that to wear the gears evenly, from other TV
station radar owners who tell me as much). Oh yeah, It's 11:30 PM CT,
and I am 60 miles due west of downtown Chicago, using a ChannelMaster 4228 with a CM 7777 preamp...in my attic!

Gotta love tropospheric ducting, aka "skip"! WNDU and WSBT are frequent
visitors to my antenna. However, a 1 mw FOX DT is due to sign on in
October, and that will probably, for the most part, spell the end of
my chances of getting WNDU. WSBT can trounce a local WSPY-TV 30 with
its eyes closed. :-)

Gilbert
post #106 of 3760 Old 06-26-2005, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

justalurker: Any ideas about any relief from the "Digital White Area" legislation? It seems we should al qualify for distant HD from ABC, with no local service in sight in any future projection.

IIRC Digital White Areas won't be in effect until 2007. It has been a while since I looked over SHVERA.

JL
post #107 of 3760 Old 08-08-2005, 06:27 PM

I just got a message on my Comcast HD box that they will have WMWB-HD and WBND-HD starting on Sep. 7. Does anyone know if these channels are going to be broadcasting OTA?

Al
post #108 of 3760 Old 08-09-2005, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesch1 View Post

I just got a message on my Comcast HD box that they will have WMWB-HD and WBND-HD starting on Sep. 7. Does anyone know if these channels are going to be broadcasting OTA?

Al

Nope, cable only. Actually, I had been sitting on that news but I had to wait until
I had permission to break the good news. You beat me to the punch, nicely done! :-)

Gilbert
post #109 of 3760 Old 08-09-2005, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

Nope, cable only. Actually, I had been sitting on that news but I had to wait until I had permission to break the good news. You beat me to the punch, nicely done! :-)

It will be interesting to see where they end up OTA when the time comes, since both are out of core.

The TV stations have always seemed to have a friendly relationship in the SB market with whatever the cable company has been. Perhaps some of that is just the public face. Getting HD as a Cable Only offering is sweet.

JL
post #110 of 3760 Old 08-10-2005, 09:57 PM

Hi, This announcement is very stimulating. Can anyone provide an estimate for minimum cable costs which include the HD locals?
Thanks, aggie

aggie
post #111 of 3760 Old 08-30-2005, 03:33 PM

Any new word on the ABC HD situation? I have directv was wondering if the only way to get this station would be through cable.

Thanks - drew
post #112 of 3760 Old 08-30-2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Hi, This announcement is very stimulating. Can anyone provide an estimate for minimum cable costs which include the HD locals?
Thanks, aggie

I believe if you have a QAM tuner and get the basic cable for about $15 a month you will get the local HD channels. I haven't actually tried this.

Al
post #113 of 3760 Old 09-03-2005, 08:52 AM

Thanks Al, I asked Comcast, and they said about $50/month, basic +HD +box. So now I need a switching unit to switch between component sources. My Sony receiver can't do it. The bandwidth is inadaquate.

aggie

aggie
post #114 of 3760 Old 09-05-2005, 11:49 PM

Anyeone have Comcast service? The ABC HD was rumored to start today...did it?

thanks,

aggie
post #115 of 3760 Old 09-06-2005, 02:17 PM

I live in Fort Wayneand trying to get the FOX station out of South Bend(WSJV).
I tried 28.1 last week but with no success. SOmeone told me today that they thought the correct station was 58.1.

Before I get back on my roof could someone tell me which one is correct.

Ben
post #116 of 3760 Old 09-06-2005, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhorrell View Post

I live in Fort Wayneand trying to get the FOX station out of South Bend(WSJV).
I tried 28.1 last week but with no success. SOmeone told me today that they thought the correct station was 58.1.

Before I get back on my roof could someone tell me which one is correct.

Ben

WSJV-DT is on 58; the PSIP data remaps it to 28-1.
post #117 of 3760 Old 09-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesch1 View Post

Al

It's feldercarb like this that makes me think that the FCC should yank Weigel's two LP licenses. They "serve" the public interest of the South Bend/Elkhart DMA about as well as I serve a tennis ball (believe me, it ain't a pretty sight!) I live maybe three miles from their tower and have a small yagi pointed in their general direction, yet my channel 57 is usually snowy, especially if Notre Dame is playing on ABC. Yet this is considered to be an "A" contour and thus denies me ABC from Chicago via DBS.

It's one thing when WSBT broadcasts UPN digitally and Comcast picks it up as a service to those without ATSC receivers, but this is saying "I have a major and a minor affiliate in HD, but I'm too cheap-@ss to buy the digital transmitters, so I'll just cut a deal with the local cable outlet to carry the HD. Everyone has cable anyway..."

Well, as an ATSC household with the demographics that local retailers would love to target, I guess I won't be buying anything from anyone who advertises on WBND or WMWB, not until they go ATSC.

--Roland
post #118 of 3760 Old 09-07-2005, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Anyeone have Comcast service? The ABC HD was rumored to start today...did it?

thanks,

I checked this morning, no new channels yet.
post #119 of 3760 Old 09-07-2005, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post

I live maybe three miles from their tower and have a small yagi pointed in their general direction, yet my channel 57 is usually snowy, especially if Notre Dame is playing on ABC. Yet this is considered to be an "A" contour and thus denies me ABC from Chicago via DBS.

"I have a major and a minor affiliate in HD, but I'm too cheap-@ss to buy the digital transmitters, so I'll just cut a deal with the local cable outlet to carry the HD. Everyone has cable anyway...".

I live in Middlebury, at least 35 miles from the transmitters, and get a snow-free pic on 25, 57, and 69 with an 8-bay. Maybe something is wrong with your setup?

The FCC has not allocated frequencies for LP stations to go digital. The only way they can put on a digital signal is to switch off their analog.

Al
post #120 of 3760 Old 09-07-2005, 08:08 PM

Roland and all interested parties:
I have inquired on another forum if anyone has encountered a situation like this...no HD-OTA, but cable only HD. I received no positive responses, so this seems to be a unique business model. I can't help but wonder if ABC -57 would offer HD to Direct if/when they get sufficient bird-bandwidth to offer local HDservice in our neck of the woods. This mode will certainly save on the I&M power bill. I wonder if there is a minimum required power for LP-TV. If not, this could be a real neat way to get additional networks, if there were any!

aggie
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page