Fresno, CA - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1769 Old 01-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did have that receiver until I got my HD-Tivo. (It's under my bed now).

Comcast receivers do not have OTA tuners.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1769 Old 01-13-2005, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by fresnohd
Can anyone recommend a good set top antenna for Fresno? My signal is usually around 50%.

From Merced, using a Silver Sensor, I was able to pull in solid digital signals from NBC / CBS / FOX / WB (sorry I forget all the affiliate call signs atm) - all w/my trusty Silver Sensor. If you search the forums you'll find tons of threads on the SS.

[EDIT]

On an entirely different topic, now that my 6412 is in, I called up the engineering department at KMPH and asked if they had any idea when Comcast would carry the digital signal. The engineer I spoke with, a very amicable and helpful fellow (didn't get his name, had an English accent I think), said the KMPH and Comcast engineers have already done all the testing and everything is a go - *PENDING* Comcast and Pappas coming to an agreement on the terms.

He said literally it would take about 1 second from the moment they're told the agreement is reached to when they can go live with the signal on Comcast's network - all the testing, config, and integration is done.

It certainly won't hurt, then, for everyone to start phoning & calling both Comcast and Pappas to get this done. Might not even hurt if anyone knows someone at the Bee - there were several areas where the Superbowl was "saved" last year (often just days before the event), due to local media pointing some light at the fact that thousands of folks were not going to be able to see the Superbowl in HD due to bureaucratic squabbling.

Brian

the sticky is about my crappy blues pickin'...
post #363 of 1769 Old 01-13-2005, 11:34 AM

I am starting to think that this 6412 does not have antenna inputs. I must admit the 26 OTA picture is real nice. We just got it a week or two ago. It looks real good on the O.C and 24.
post #364 of 1769 Old 01-13-2005, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am starting to think that this 6412 does not have antenna inputs...

Huh?

This question was asked and answered only a few posts above where you first did. As Klin (and many others) have stated - it does not have an OTA tuner.

Brian

post #365 of 1769 Old 01-13-2005, 11:53 AM

Does anyone know if there is anyone local that will come out to Clovis and check out my HD system? Check to see if all the settings are good and that I am getting the best picture?
post #366 of 1769 Old 01-13-2005, 11:57 AM

Silver Sensor Digital HDTV UHF Indoor Antenna - ZHDTV1

Does anyone in Fresno/Clovis have this? I am searching online now with no luck. It seems everyone only carries Terk.
post #367 of 1769 Old 01-13-2005, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 23
You could probably get anyone of a number of people out there if there was a financial incentive to do so. Also, if you are not getting the optimal picture, are you hoping they can fix it? That could take anything from pluging in your interconnects properly, adding interconnects you do not have to calibrating your display.

If you are getting HD, there should be no doubt as long as you have an HD display.

Shouldn't your user name be clovishd?
post #368 of 1769 Old 01-13-2005, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have a silver sensor, but I don't know the model number. I do not use it, though. Being way out in Selma I opted for a roof mounted antenna.
post #369 of 1769 Old 01-13-2005, 12:01 PM

True should be clovis. My picture for the most part is good. I just would like to make sure it is optimal. Maybe once i get a better antenna and get this stupid Samsung HD receiver to work properly it would be fine.
post #370 of 1769 Old 01-13-2005, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.Poindexter
I have a silver sensor, but I don't know the model number. I do not use it, though. Being way out in Selma I opted for a roof mounted antenna.

Would you sell that antenna? I can not seem to find them in Fresno.
post #371 of 1769 Old 01-13-2005, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know if there is anyone local that will come out to Clovis and check out my HD system? Check to see if all the settings are good and that I am getting the best picture?

Ummm...you're at one of (if not the) premiere site on the net for good info on exactly these issues. Take some time and read through the forums, use the search feature.

Read, research, then tweak. Then learn some more. Then after all that, come back and ask more questions.

Alternatively, if you're not inclined to DIY, there's several qualified ISF professionals who will travel (on occasion) to your area. Here is a list of them. One gentleman I know will (for standard price + travel fees) make the trip is Mr. Bob, whom many folks have good things to say. Calibration of one input at one resolution starts around $400 and goes up from there.

Spend some time reading up and learning - it'll be time well spent.

Brian

post #372 of 1769 Old 01-13-2005, 08:13 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Would you sell that antenna? I can not seem to find them in Fresno.

I once used a RadioShack UHF Dual HDTV Indoor Bow-Tie Antenna and worked great -- channels I received had 95% signal strength using both my Samsung T165 and Sylvania SRZ3000.

Switched to an RCA Amplified Indoor Antenna (Model: 1250) since the Bowtie antenna is only UHF and I couldn't get KFSN and KAIL (Ch. 9-1/30-1 and Ch. 7-1) from Kings Co. using the BowTie

I highly recommend the Radio Shack antenna -- but I don't live in Fresno/Clovis area, and I'm not sure if the antenna will get KFSN and KAIL if you reside in the area.

I'm sure all Sears stores carry the Silver Sensor.
post #373 of 1769 Old 01-13-2005, 10:23 PM

Did anyone notice if The O.C was in HD on 26-1? To me it looked like it was not. The Direct TV guide also did not have HD. The picture still looked good, just not like HD.
post #374 of 1769 Old 01-14-2005, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
If it didn't have black bars on the sides it was HD. A lot depends on how grainy the filmstock is etc, and some cinematographers and directors go for a softer or grainier look than others.

Steve S.
post #375 of 1769 Old 01-14-2005, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

At this point, we're all (Comcast subs - OTA fellas are ok) probably going to miss the Rams/Falcons matchup on Saturday, because Comcast and KMPH are each trying to go down the wire and get the best terms out of each other, while holding the customers hostage.

I've already made (more than) my share of phone calls to Comcast / KMPH / and Pappas - so if you haven't already, start letting them know that you're unhappy that Fox HD (already tested and ready to go) is still not being carried on Comcast.

Brian

post #376 of 1769 Old 01-15-2005, 07:54 AM

So I am the only Direct Tv with OTA here?
post #377 of 1769 Old 01-15-2005, 08:10 AM

On the Zenith Silver Sensor, I found a few. Is the signal even better if I get an amplifier for it?
post #378 of 1769 Old 01-15-2005, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm DirecTV with ota, no cable. If at all possible a good outdoor antenna will give better results than the Silver Sensor, with or without an amplifier.

I live about a mile or so due west of the airport and get great reception on all the local ota digital channels that are up. Antenna is a big VHF-UHF jobbie from Radio Shack but it's only about 4 feet above my single story home's roofpeak. I just sorta aimed it in the same direction all the other antennas in the area are pointed and left it at that. My reciever is a Sony HD-200, a box mfd by LG and essentially similar to the current Hughes models.

My house has double layered stucco walls and a stone-coated steel roof, indoor antennas just don't work for me.

Steve S.
post #379 of 1769 Old 01-15-2005, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

I also am D* OTA. Amplifier shouldn't make much of a difference for digital signals.

post #380 of 1769 Old 01-16-2005, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is the signal even better if I get an amplifier for it?

One thing you need to keep in mind is, that w/digital broadcasts, signal strength is less of an issue. I think, perhaps, you're looking at your digital signal strength from an analog perspective.

With analog reception, every (reasonable) incremental increase in signal strength improves the PQ. With a digital signal you either have the full digital signal or you don't. (I'm neglecting some of the problematic dropout issues on marginal signals as that's not an overall PQ issue)

i.e. on a digital set, you'll notice no "better" PQ by increasing your signal strength from say 70% to 90%. If your receiver locks on well at 70% (no dropouts) the PQ will not improve if you increase the signal strength.

So, bottom-line, if you're searching for the best PQ, signal strength (via OTA) is not on your to-do list (assuming you are getting a locked signal - which I believe you are)

Brian

post #381 of 1769 Old 01-16-2005, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Brian is absolutely correct. If your present antenna gives you a solid picture with minimal dropouts or pixellation that's as good as it gets. An analogy would be DirecTV signal strength. Some of my DirecTV channels only run at about 70 or so for signal strength but are solid with no dropouts except during hailstorms, overall pq is no worse than some of my other channels that run in the mid-90s.

You should also keep in mind that some local digital stations (53 for sure and sometimes 26) are picking up their analog signal at the transmitter site and converting it to digital for their digital feeds. Last weekend and sometimes during the week 26's analog signal was unusually weak and except when running HD from Fox, the digital signal had the same slightly snowy look. 53's digital feed always displays the exact same analog pq problems as their analog feed--some snowiness and color banding.

Steve S.
post #382 of 1769 Old 01-18-2005, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stickyfingers
I've already made (more than) my share of phone calls to Comcast / KMPH / and Pappas - so if you haven't already, start letting them know that you're unhappy that Fox HD (already tested and ready to go) is still not being carried on Comcast.

Bug Pappas and Bug Comcast, but don't waste your time calling the station (unless you call during business hours ??-5pm). This rings especially true during any time of the day we're actually showing something in HD. None of the higher ups and decision makers are there during prime time (7pm-10pm) or on Sunday so please leave the BoardOps alone. I honestly get a call or two a week (got one tonite as a matter of fact) that somehow made it back to me asking about the HD signal and Comcast. I try and have patience (I'm a fellow AV fan, elsewise I wouldn't be on this forum) when I get these calls but I honestly have no answers for you guys, I speak for all the board-ops when I say none of us are kept in the loop in these matters.
post #383 of 1769 Old 01-18-2005, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

hey Adopted,

I get the impression you maybe work for KMPH? If so, let me compliment you on the quality of your HD signal. Your SD upconverts are also excellent!
I've been getting HD OTA for about 3 1/2 years now, have seen all but KFSN (30) inaugurate HD in that time, and 26 has been the most trouble free as far as early problems.

If I might ask a dumb question, why is the FOX logo sorta mostly off screen in the lower right hand corner during HD, and would it maybe be possible to make it just a bit more translucent as I'm a bit scared about burn in?

Also, any chance of getting HD on channel 59 in the forseeable future?

If these are questions for higher ups, please accept my apologies.

Steve S.
post #384 of 1769 Old 01-19-2005, 12:15 AM

First up, no apologies needed, I'm on your guys thread so I have no right to get too defensive. I hope my first post wasn't to defensive, just kinda warning more for you guys. Not all the other ops might be as patient as me, we're not supposed to field calls from viewers EVER. Yet we somehow do and they're not always pleasant. Oh yeah the Upconverted stuff looks just as clean as the source material stuff does. Trust me there was problems in the beginning we just never launched it till we got a nice clean picture in-house. I'll pass on the compliment to one of the main engineers responsible... I was gonna tell him how funny it was I found out people cared enough to talk about it on a forum I've visited for quite some time.

Fox logo... that will probaly change, that logo is the default sent down by FOX until we send them the bug we'd like inserted in the stream. I've gotten a few calls about the logo problem, we checked our WS monitor and the Plasma in the theatre and saw no problem. But I'll pass on the word about that too, especially if more then a few of you are expericing the problem that might get them to investigate some more. But don't count on it anytime soon, especially cuz the Superbowl isn't far away.

WB-HD: No comment. Don't hold your breath or you'll end up bluer then the bug.
post #385 of 1769 Old 01-19-2005, 01:13 PM

Adopted,
I have the same problem with the Fox Logo in the bottom right corner being half cut off and too Bright. FYI, I have a 53' wide Panasonic.

Thanks for listening.
post #386 of 1769 Old 01-19-2005, 03:01 PM

Liked: 12
The Fox logo if you do a split picture on my set most of it shows up. Whats happing is the overscan on our sets is cutting off the bottom and right most portions of the bug.

I had my set calibrated and set overscan to 3% but out of the box many sets can have a overscan much higher, and thats why with my split screen it shows up because no or less overscan with the split. Which is okay by me, because it would be huge bug if its not chopped off.

On this topic does anyone notice how far up or down on the screens sports tickers are? On my 57" set, there is over an 1" gap between the top edge of the screen and where the graphics start. I now this is because of different overscans on different sets and they(broadcasters) want to make sure its not chopped off on those sets with a high overscans. But it sure can be annoying at times, it seems like the graphics are in the middle of the picture.

And as with other posters pass the word on to "those" who would like to know that the FOX picture looks great in HD. I never watched '24' until this year but it looks great in HD so now I find myself hooked. I'm sure I'm not alone in letting HD programming determine what I watch. During football season I would only watch CBS when it went head to head with FOX because I couldn't stand to watch a SD Picture. Looking forward to a HD upersay owlbay.
post #387 of 1769 Old 01-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone else watching Lost tonight sans HD? Not to mention drops off and on?

post #388 of 1769 Old 01-19-2005, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by snatch
Anyone else watching Lost tonight sans HD? Not to mention drops off and on?

No HD thru Comcast either. I find it ironic the "simulcast in HD" still flashes on by, yet it's not. What the hell KFSN?
post #389 of 1769 Old 01-19-2005, 10:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

post #390 of 1769 Old 01-20-2005, 06:12 AM

No HD on my OTA either. It was strange my receiver said it was 720. But it was not. My Samsung does not work on my Direct TV ABC HD Feed either so I was watching SD.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page