Fresno, CA - HDTV - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 1770 Old 01-20-2005, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well ABC is broadcasting the inauguration in HD, and it's working on KFSN. I'd say KFSN has redeemed themself for last night .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1770 Old 01-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Lost...Inauguration....

Not redeemed!

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
post #393 of 1770 Old 01-20-2005, 08:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah, I knew how the inauguration was going to turn out.

As for priorities - Lost is the #1 season pass on my TiVo. I didn't even watch the inauguration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #394 of 1770 Old 01-20-2005, 04:04 PM

Wish me luck guys, Direct tv is sending me a replacement for my Samsung HD receiver, this will hopefully fix the problem that i have with Direct tv ABC and ESPN programming.
post #395 of 1770 Old 01-20-2005, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Mr. Poindexter,

I'd be interested to know how you are getting the LA ABC HD feed. I've had a running fight with DirecTV ever since it came on and have not yet been able to convince them that KFSN is an O&O and therefore they should turn it on for me.

Steve S.
post #396 of 1770 Old 01-20-2005, 09:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I got it in less than 24 hours. Have DirecTV apply for a waiver. Then call and talk to the engineer at KERO in Bakersfield. Tell him your name and that you are in Fresno trying to get a waiver. He will grant it. He will go online and sign off on it. Then call DirecTV back and let them know you have the waiver. They will check and you will have it.

post #397 of 1770 Old 01-21-2005, 06:05 AM

I have the LA and NY HD feed on Direct TV, I got a waiver 2 years ago for the SD Channels so they just automatically turned them on.
post #398 of 1770 Old 01-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Lucky suckers. My brothers grandpa and grandma-inlaws also have the LA and NY feeds. They just bought a new HD set and get glorious HD without an antenna. Lucky bastards live right in the middle of Northeast Clovis too. Talk about grandfathering...

post #399 of 1770 Old 01-21-2005, 06:27 PM

well my new RCA sure works better them my samsung, those ABC HD feeds come in much better, I bet the ESPN stuff will work better also. I think I have had my ABC feeds even before we got the locals and I still have them. I was surprised to get the HD feeds, right here in Clovis.
post #400 of 1770 Old 01-21-2005, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Wierdness. I have been trying without success to get the ABC-W hd feed since the first day it was available on DirecTV.

First I was told I could not get it because SD locals were available in my area, then because KERO in Bakersfield claimed Fresno as in it's market, and that they would apply to KERO for a waiver. then the GM of KFSN e-mailed me in response to a query as to whether or not they were O&O that they still needed to give me a waiver and they were not gonna do it.

At that point I gave up.

Just now I called the DirecTV HD elegibility number and talked to a rep named Matt. I asked if there were any news on the waiver from KERO, and he said no. Then he asked again where I lived, and said "I can turn it on for you". Within a minute he'd turned on ABC-W for me!!

Now I have a backup if KFSN messes up!

Steve S.
post #401 of 1770 Old 01-21-2005, 06:58 PM

I mostly use it as a backup, but i like the east coast hd feed to watch some shows early in the evening.
post #402 of 1770 Old 01-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

I could certainly use a backup for when KFSN either has a poor signal or just plain doesn't do HD (see last wednesday for Lost and Alias). Any suggestions Steve?

post #403 of 1770 Old 01-22-2005, 01:28 PM

the only way that I have heard of is people saying that they are moving and using their new address for the eqiupment and their old address for billing. if you used a bay area address you would get nbc cbs and abc hd, if you use la i think you would get all 4.
post #404 of 1770 Old 01-22-2005, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

More wierdness. Even though the rep said last night that the waiver hadn't come thru, I found a notification in the mail today that my waiver had been granted, said notification must have been mailed out prior to my inquiry to Matt last night. It could be that he first looked for a waiver from KFSN, which is not necessary since they are owned and operated by ABC, then discovered the waiver from KERO in Bakersfield.

Snatch,

I strongly suspect that between the time I gave up on this a few weeks ago and last night, something might have changed overall at DirecTV. I can only suggest you call DirecTV's HD Network eligibility number:

1-800-263-0028 and see if they will let you have ABC HD west.

The rep last night turned it on for me even though he said the waiver from KERO in Bakersfield hadn't come thru, even though it obviously had.

You should be able to get ABC HD west only, since KFSN is the only local affilliate owned and operated by the network.

As for the problem with Lost and Alias, I noticed the screen went black several times, and figured it did so because they were trying their damndest to get the HD up. I've been HD capable since Sept. of 01, when KFSN was the only local station with a digital signal at all, let alone HD. Things were a lot worse then. Audio was almost always badly out of synch and picture breakups occurred every 5 or 10 minutes on a good night.

Steve S.
post #405 of 1770 Old 01-22-2005, 06:02 PM

Is there another ABC or CBS HD channel then 47-1 or 30-1? Also anyone here have a RCA Direct TV HD reciever? I just got one yesterday and the OTA scanner can not seem to find 47-1 or 30-1. Also it is wierd that in the guide there is no program information for OTA locals. My old reciver Samsung did have program info. I wanted to see what others see on their RCA.
post #406 of 1770 Old 01-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah I had the drops also and I too assumed they were trying to get it working. I suppose I shouldn't complain what with how things used to be as you mentioned.

post #407 of 1770 Old 01-23-2005, 11:08 AM

Well I just got my T151 back from my sister(they never hooked it up for 5 months). I got it hooked up, and KMPH-DT is coming in very nicely. They're showing the NFL pre-show in HD and it looks pretty good.
post #408 of 1770 Old 01-23-2005, 03:20 PM

Liked: 12
Still can't seem to record/watch network programming from KMPH properly with my Samsung T165 OTA tuner -- via firewire to my PC using "CapDVHS" or "VideoLAN".

I get a scrambled picture and a transport stream that is unwatchable.

The problem comes when KMPH switches from network to station/local programming (ie local commercials) or from local programming to network programming.

This is the only problem I have with my T165.

Anybody else have this Samsung tuner?

Or has anybody else tried recording KMPH to their pc via firewire using the methods described here?
post #409 of 1770 Old 01-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

I have the most problems reception-wise with KMPH than any of the others. Twice I've tried Tivo-ing American Idol and both times there were stretches of "scramble" that left it unwatchable.

post #410 of 1770 Old 01-24-2005, 01:33 PM

Snatch,

Can you tell me at what points did your recordings become unwatchable or "scrambled" (ex. KMPH switching to local commercials)?
post #411 of 1770 Old 01-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Interestingly, the commercials actually came in for the most part Ok. The HD is where the problems occurred. If I turn on 26-1 at any time of the day before prime time, reception and 'quality' are fine, but when the HD comes on, it becomes a chore trying to keep it going consistently. Last week wasn't quite as bad as the first week, but it was still pretty problematic.

For me personally, 24-1 I have never had problems with, 47-1 very rarely, 30-1 every now and then a small part of the overall picture 'scrambles', but for the most part is consistent. 26-1, and only when they're doing HD, is the one I have problems with.

post #412 of 1770 Old 01-25-2005, 09:37 AM

how are you guys getting kmph fox 26....i have comcast HD and no fox....are you using something different?
post #413 of 1770 Old 01-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Well, the rep I just talked too told me that a wavier is required for both Kero (obviously) AND for KFSN. I asked how this is because they are owned and operated by ABC, and he said that local stations that already offer HD have the option of requiring you to watch their feed over the national one. I then asked him if everyone has to ask for this waiver, ie folks in SF or LA or any O&O, and told me that some areas have what they call 'blind waivers' that are granted automatically. Theoretically, shouldn't that be any O&O? Shouldn't only the non-O&O's be needing waivers?

He also told me they aren't even allowed to submit waivers in certain areas. Anyway, I guess I'm playing the waiting game now as he said it would take up to 45 days for them to respond.

Suck.

post #414 of 1770 Old 01-25-2005, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by firemedic679
how are you guys getting kmph fox 26....i have comcast HD and no fox....are you using something different?

they are getting the Fox HD signal OTA (over the air). Comcast doesn't yet carry fox but hopefully soon.

Is this chicken what I have, or is this fish?
post #415 of 1770 Old 01-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

We're getting the signal over the air from KMPH. Unfortunately Comcast's boxes don't have OTA tuners.

post #416 of 1770 Old 01-25-2005, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rodneyremington
...Comcast doesn't yet carry fox but hopefully soon.

Since they've managed to shaft Comcast customers, by not reaching an agreement in time for 24 or *any* of the playoff games, I don't expect them to get anything done in the next week or so, because of the off week for the NFL...

Brian

the sticky is about my crappy blues pickin'...
post #417 of 1770 Old 01-25-2005, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Snatch,

Did you call the HD Eligibility number or just the regular reps? I swear sometimes it seems like you get a different answer on these things depending on the individual rep you're talking to.

The notification I got in the mail stating that my waiver had been granted didn't specify whether it was granted by KERO, KFSN, or both. Just says "Waiver granted by your local TV stations". I know KERO routinely grants them for people here in Fresno, and the General Manager of KFSN told me in an e-mail there was no way they'd grant it. So either somebody at KFSN granted it contrary to what the GM said or they didn't need to grant it since KFSN is O&O. I'm not about to try to call DirecTV to find out which for fear they'll turn it off again.

KABC in LA uses a different aspect ratio for their SD upconverts than KFSN.

KFSN puts a 1:33 picture in the center with black bars on the side. KABC appears to be doing a slight stretch of the 1:33 image, to maybe 1:50 or 1:60--black bars are definitely narrower, nothing is lost off top and bottom, faces look just a tiny bit wider than the same images on KFSN. Desperate Housewives started out in upconverted SD 4/3 on KFSN the other night, switched to KABC and it was HD. After the first commercial both were HD. I could see no difference in pq between KFSN OTA and KABC on DirecTV, the satellite picture was really excellent.

You said you were having trouble with 26.1 on your HD-Tivo, do you also have problems in the store? I haven't had any problems with it lately. Usually these days if there is a problem it's at the station's end rather than a problem with your equipment. When 47 first started there was severe picture breakup exactly every 3 minutes for days on end, turned out to be a problem with their encoder. 26's SD was iffy for a few weeks when they first started, seemed to get much more stable recently.

Steve S.
post #418 of 1770 Old 01-25-2005, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by stickyfingers
Since they've managed to shaft Comcast customers, by not reaching an agreement in time for 24 or *any* of the playoff games, I don't expect them to get anything done in the next week or so, because of the off week for the NFL...

Brian

I'm disappointed that they haven't gotten it up and running with Comcast. I hope they get the feed up before the super bowl. I really want to get some of the commercials capped .
post #419 of 1770 Old 01-25-2005, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

I called that eligibility number you gave me. I was expecting to start with an automated response system and was surprised a real person picked up right away. That's interesting that KABC uses a different AR, I would have thought they'd all be the same.

The only station I have trouble with on my HD-Tivo is 26.1. I posted a while ago that I have no problems with 47.1 or 24.1. I do occasionally have a quick blurb on 30.1, but 98% of the time things are fine when they've actually got it going. On Desperate Housewives last Sunday, the start of the show had half the screen cut off when they were trying for HD and they had to switch to SD, but as you mentioned got it going and it was fine the rest of the time.

I watched American Idol tonight instead of Tivo-ing it to see if that would make any difference, and initially I thought it had as the first 30 min were perfect. After that, the next 15 min started scrambling for a good 10 seconds, would regain consistency and then lose it again. The last 15 minutes were unwatchable and I had to change it to D*'s local feed. My wife actually gasped when she saw the disparity in PQ between the two, but I had no choice, 26.1 was dead for me.

I would love to blame my tuner, but since I get the other 3 local HD"s almost flawlessly, I have no other choice than to blame KMPH. Am I wrong?

post #420 of 1770 Old 01-25-2005, 11:36 PM

I'm thinking its KMPH.

Using VideoLAN VLC media player, I tuned into "HOUSE" at 9pm with my Samsung T165. I ran into problems (flickering/scrambling, video just unwatchable) just when KMPH switched to local commericals.

I exited the program, changed the channel on the STB, switched back to 26-1, opened the VLC media player, and voila I could watch KMPH again. When KMPH returned to FOX network programming, the video stream again became unwatchable.

There is something going on there that will not allow my T165 (and possibly snatch's HD-Tivo) to work properly when KMPH switches between local and HD network feed?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page