Fresno, CA - HDTV - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 1770 Old 01-26-2005, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sent an email to Carlton Simmonds at KMPH asking him when Comcast may be carrying the Fox HD channel, and this was his response:
------------------------------------
CSimmonds@kmph.com to me

Our two companies are currently talking about a retransmit agreement
which both sides are hoping will be resolved before the Super Bowl.

------------------------------------
Those of you with a vested interest in this happening may feel free to email him and politely express your interest in the matter.

Is this chicken what I have, or is this fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 1770 Old 01-26-2005, 12:19 PM

Liked: 12
I have no problems with 26.1 on my integrated tuner. I do notice on my receiver whenever they go to local programming/commercials it switches form DD 5.1 to Pro Logic. I thinks its kind of interesting to see which commercials are national vs local. A few of what I thought were national truck commercials were actually local.
post #423 of 1770 Old 01-26-2005, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rodneyremington
I sent an email to Carlton Simmonds at KMPH asking him when Comcast may be carrying the Fox HD channel, and this was his response:

Our two companies are currently talking about a retransmit agreement
which both sides are hoping will be resolved before the Super Bowl.

That's the exact same position they were in two weeks ago and, I imagine weeks, or months, before that. It's a big, dumb game of Chicken, with each side betting the other will blink first - and it's really very silly.

Maybe several years ago, when cablecos and local affiliates were first beginning to structure retransmit agreements for digital channels, it was problematic to decide what terms were fair for these transactions. At this point though, most affiliates in most markets now provide their digital feeds over the cable networks, so the value of this to each side is, I imagine, fairly well established.

If this was a non-Superbowl year for Fox, I imagine this agreement would have been reached much more quickly, but as it is, both sides hope to leverage the event to extract the best possible terms. I could be overflowing with naivete, but I still hoped customer service would figure into the equation somewhere.

I don't imagine they expect anyone to believe there's any good reason this didn't get wrapped up months ago. KMPH was almost certain to have their digital signal up before Superbowl, and Comcast was well aware of that as well - and there's simply no (good) reason Comcast and KMPH shouldn't have had an agreement in place when the station went live with the digital signal. As stated earlier, everything HAS been in place to carry the digital signal weeks ago, it's just a matter of taking it to the brink to get the best terms for each side.

Last Superbowl, this exact posturing kept several areas cable customers from watching the Superbowl in HD - here's to hoping they've learned something...

edit: After that wee diatribe, I decided to do something (hopefully) more productive and dropped an email to various editors and reporters at Central Valley newspapers. I've seen several other papers (nationally) that are, again (sigh), attempting to focus some heat on this issue in their area. Here's just one from todays Cincy Post

Brian

the sticky is about my crappy blues pickin'...
post #424 of 1770 Old 01-29-2005, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

HI folks!
I live in Clovis, more specifically Quail Lake (between Academy & McCall and Shaw & Ashlan).

I am new to HDTV and still shopping for a TV and enjoying every minute of the hunt.
I presently have Dish...and am disappointed in the offerings for HD. The price package is not bad, but CBS Los Angeles is the only HD network channel offered.
I explored Comcast and DirecTV. Comcast can get me more locals, although I have never been thrilled with cable, even though I know it has improved over the years. Direct will buy me some locals too, but I already have a PVR receiver (non HD) and one additional receiver.
Just seems like too much hassle when I could mount a good UHF antenna on the dish and connect up to the existing Sat cable with a diplexer. All the channels of interest except KMPH are within 2 deg of each, so I am going with a large amplified multidirectional UHF antenna. Then I will drop my local Dish package and save 6 bucks also.

This one looks good too:
http://www.lashen.com/vendors/winegard/uhf_antennas.asp

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

I will still get CBS/LA off Dish so I will have my CSI fix satisfied. in any case. I will try and handle Fox as a separate issue. Maybe a directional antenna in the attic for that purpose only, and have it switched by the set.
I don't plan to have my new set in place before SB anyway!

If anyone wants to persuade me to switch to a different program provider than Dish, plaease do. I am still learning. But I would think HD will poliferate the market quite well in the very near future.
post #425 of 1770 Old 01-29-2005, 03:41 PM

So I feel sorta sheepish.... Even though I subscribed to Comcast "HD DVR Notification Email for Clovis" service, I never got an email letting me know it was available. Grrrr!!! That's what I get for not keeping up to date on this forum. So, I ordered the 6412 yesterday, and its scheduled to be installed on 2/7. Hooray!!!

Can any of the 6412 users out there tell me if it has OTA capabilities/input?

Also, I'm really interested in how I can transfer content from the 6412 via FireWire to a Windows Media Center 2005 server (or MythTV or whatever), and then stream HD content over IP (Ethernet or 802.11a/g) to another set top PC or Media Extender. Anybody done that yet?? Especially since Comcast only "allows" one DVR per household, I've got to figure out a way to centrally manage all my digital content. Anyway, enough rambling from me... I need to go outside and play with my daughter while there is a break in the clouds :-)

Adam
post #426 of 1770 Old 01-29-2005, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Adam,
There is some dicussion as to using the firewire on the 6412 on other areas of avsforum. It is apparently functional. I haven't used it.

I do have 2 6412s, the rule about one per household doesn't seem that hard to get around as I ordered my first one on the phone and my second one on the internet. My friend here in Clovis also did this.

I also was supposed to get an email announcing the availability of the 6412 from comcast but still haven't and I've had mine for almost a month. Go figure.

There is no OTA functionality nor would I ever expect COmcast to provide OTA hardware, after all they are in the business of selling you TV.

post #427 of 1770 Old 01-29-2005, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rodneyremington
There is some dicussion as to using the firewire on the 6412 on other areas of avsforum. It is apparently functional. I haven't used it.

The general info 6412 thread is here. The firewire out thread (which addresses issues w/the 6412 as well) is over here.

With both of these threads, be warned that they are very long, and even the helpful folks will get frustrated if you don't read the thread (and use the search function) before asking questions (as it's most likely been asked and answered several times already).

Cheers,

Brian (go send Comcast and Pappas and KMPH an email about FOX-HD)

post #428 of 1770 Old 01-29-2005, 05:24 PM

Okay guys, a little help here maybe? I'm headed into Fresno for Superbowl weekend at my sister's house. I'm bringing with me an OTA HD receiver (Zenith HDV420) and a Silver Sensor in the hopes of pulling in KMPH OTA. She lives near Hwy 99 and McKinley Ave. Is there anyone out there that has had sucess with a similar setup and location? Antennaweb.org is kinda confusing in that they show the KMPH signal to be practically due east and 52.6 miles away while the studio in Visalia is really more like due south but maybe also that many miles away. Is 52.6 miles really how far it is to the broadcast antenna or to the studio? Is there any chance at all that we'll get to see the Superbowl in HD with the setup that I'm bringing into town or should I stay home where Comcast just came to an agreement this last week with our local Fox affiliate (KTVU, O&O by Cox Entertainment) to carry the Fox digital signal? Any input from y'all out there in the cold and gray Central Valley would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
post #429 of 1770 Old 01-29-2005, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been able to get a solid signal even further north (Merced) from KMPHs OTA broadcast, so I'd say you're in good shape (I use a Silver Sensor too). Currently my OTA rig is on the shelf as I wait with baited breath that Comcast and KMPH will reach an agreement that will preclude me having to pull out the trusty Sammy 151.

Someone who's viewing OTA can probably give you a "for sure" answer, but I don't think you'll have any problems.

Brian

post #430 of 1770 Old 01-29-2005, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

Originally posted by videoaddikt
HI folks!
I live in Clovis, more specifically Quail Lake (between Academy & McCall and Shaw & Ashlan).

I am new to HDTV and still shopping for a TV and enjoying every minute of the hunt.
I presently have Dish...and am disappointed in the offerings for HD. The price package is not bad, but CBS Los Angeles is the only HD network channel offered.
I explored Comcast and DirecTV. Comcast can get me more locals, although I have never been thrilled with cable, even though I know it has improved over the years. Direct will buy me some locals too, but I already have a PVR receiver (non HD) and one additional receiver.
Just seems like too much hassle when I could mount a good UHF antenna on the dish and connect up to the existing Sat cable with a diplexer. All the channels of interest except KMPH are within 2 deg of each, so I am going with a large amplified multidirectional UHF antenna. Then I will drop my local Dish package and save 6 bucks also.

This one looks good too:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

I will still get CBS/LA off Dish so I will have my CSI fix satisfied. in any case. I will try and handle Fox as a separate issue. Maybe a directional antenna in the attic for that purpose only, and have it switched by the set.
I don't plan to have my new set in place before SB anyway!

If anyone wants to persuade me to switch to a different program provider than Dish, plaease do. I am still learning. But I would think HD will poliferate the market quite well in the very near future.

Well, actually you won't get CBS-Hd from that LA station on Dish, as it's only available to those who are out of reception range of any local CBS station OR who live in a market whose local CBS affilliate is owned and operated by CBS. Channel 47 is not owned and operated by CBS.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that you should be able to pull in all of the local HD channels (24, 26, 30, and 47) just fine with a decent roof antenna. I'm over by the airport, my antenna's only 4 feet above my single story roofpeak, and I get all of 'em solid as a rock, no rotor, no problem due to 26 being a bit off center. Antenna aim is not like dish aim--doesn't have to be perfect. BTW, 30's Hi def is actually broadcast on VHF channel 9.

Dish mounted antennas, or antennas that don't look like antennas usually don't work worth a damn. Get a real UHF/VHF antenna and mount it on it's own pole above the roof, not in the attic. You won't need an amplifier, they actually can introduce noise to the signal and mess up digital reception. I tried one when I had my old antenna and it only made things worse. My present antenna is a Radio Shack VU-160XR, pulls in every local digital station just fine, as well as some analogs I didn't know were there. No rotor or amp.

I would not switch providers just yet, as Dish just bought Voom and may have lots of new HD coming up within the next year or so.

I'm with D and am not at all happy about the fact that they don't have most of the national HD networks like TNT, Starz, etc, but have too much invested to switch to anything else right now.

They do carry ABC-west HD from KABC in LA, and I was successful in getting them to turn it on for me.

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of HDTV, do let us know what you end up with as far as a set and service provider.

Steve S.
post #431 of 1770 Old 01-29-2005, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve S
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of HDTV, do let us know what you end up with as far as a set and service provider.

These are the antenna I had in mind Steve. I agree, and being half the distance to the transmitters than you are, amping should not be needed. They can add noise and I don't expect very long cable runs either.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=15-2160

I do live in a gated-community and while the law is on my side I don't want an antenna on a pole if I can avoid it.
The smaller antenna would be mounted on the side of the garage near the front peeking over the roof into empty space!

I am sure Dish will come up with better HD programming, it's inevitable. I have enjoyed the service and not ready to switch providers.

Thank for the clarifications, Steve...!!!
post #432 of 1770 Old 01-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve S

Dish mounted antennas, or antennas that don't look like antennas usually don't work worth a damn. Get a real UHF/VHF antenna and mount it on it's own pole above the roof, not in the attic. You won't need an amplifier, they actually can introduce noise to the signal and mess up digital reception. I tried one when I had my old antenna and it only made things worse. My present antenna is a Radio Shack VU-160XR, pulls in every local digital station just fine, as well as some analogs I didn't know were there. No rotor or amp.

Hmmm...amps introduce noise in to the signal eh. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I have an amp on my antenna right now. I'm using that Terk HDTVi. I don't know how it compares to silver sensors etc, but it works great except for my 26 problems. Maybe I ought to the amp off?

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
post #433 of 1770 Old 01-30-2005, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Snatch,

Try it with the amp off, it might work better. If you have stucco outside walls or insulation bats in your walls chances are you have chicken wire and or foil in your walls which can seriously hamper the performance of indoor antennas. I have double layered stucco and a stone coated steel roof, indoor antennas just don't work at all in my home.

If at all feasible a decent outdoor UHF antenna of the kind that looks like a rectangular grille set on end with bow ties in front should work fine. VHF channels above channel 6 should come in with these (KFSN's actual HD broadcast is on VHF channel 9 and 2 of the Spanish channels SD digitals are on VHF channel 5).

I went with my relatively large RS VHF-UHF antenna (an Xmas gift from my dad, LOL!) mainly out of desperation trying to get good ota with a Hughes E-86, turned out the box's ota digital tuner was fried.

It may be that the problem with 26 involves some incompatibility of it's signal and your HD DirecTivo, especially if you get 26 well at the store with other receivers, or the problems may be at the station.

Steve S.
post #434 of 1770 Old 01-31-2005, 09:48 AM

Don't hold your breath for a Fox Super Bowl in HD via Comcast. Last night KMPH ran a commercial advertising the game in HD via an antenna, and made the point that its not available via satellite or cable.

There line and incorrect as it was "just hook up an antenna to an HD ready TV".

FWIW
post #435 of 1770 Old 01-31-2005, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

You very well might be right, but if so, that's absolutely inane on their parts. If they don't carry it by Sunday, I almost guarantee it will be carried by the end of February, or mid-March at the latest.

They both know it's going to get carried relatively soon, so all this dickering around is wasteful.

Brian

post #436 of 1770 Old 01-31-2005, 03:21 PM

Sticky and Rodney,

Thanks for the replies re: the 6412. I'm quite motivated and inspired now to figure out to how to make the thing particpate in a centralized content distribution system. I'll keep everyone posted.

Adam
post #437 of 1770 Old 02-03-2005, 12:24 AM

Hi All-

Newbie here. Just got hooked up with Comcast HD today. Everything looks good, but I have a couple questions. I noticed in earlier posts that Fox HD isn't on Comcast yet. That's a big bummer. We were expecting to watch the Super Bowl in HD. Also, does the WB have a HD channel yet? I noticed some of the progamming said it was in HD, but I didn't notice it in any of the 900 channels? Thanks for all the great info

Mother, Wife, DVD Junkie (in that order)
post #438 of 1770 Old 02-03-2005, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Fox HD will be carried by comcast within a few weeks most likely, whether before or after the superbowl is unknown.

Don't know when WB HD will be on comcast--anyone?

post #439 of 1770 Old 02-03-2005, 05:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Probably won't have WB HD until after they start sending out an HD signal. If they had an HD signal at all then we would be able to pick it up OTA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #440 of 1770 Old 02-03-2005, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.Poindexter
Probably won't have WB HD until after they start sending out an HD signal.

Ya' think?

Brian (wonder which we'll see first - WB in HD or KVPT in HD...)

post #441 of 1770 Old 02-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Considering Pappas also has the WB, don't count on it any time soon.

Spoke with a Comcast rep yesterday....no super bowl in HD.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
post #442 of 1770 Old 02-03-2005, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by snatch
Considering Pappas also has the WB, don't count on it any time soon.

Spoke with a Comcast rep yesterday....no super bowl in HD.

damn, I was looking forward to recording some HD commercials. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make sure my T151 is getting KMPH on SB sunday.
post #443 of 1770 Old 02-04-2005, 01:14 PM

ok, need some help. getting ready for the big game.. i live over by shaw and brawley and have been trying my darndest to get my motorola receiver and two different antennas from good guys to pick up the signal for KMPH 26.1.

I've only attempted to get these channels the past three nights, and to no avail.. the signal is too weak. the second of the antennas I purchased has some sort of 10dB amplifier, that isn't helping me!!!

Can anyone assist.. i only have a chance to check on these tonight with the bernie mac show and that other one, before superbowl sunday.

Anyone have any suggestions on another antenna that may work best? and where I can purchase over the counter in the next day or so..

we have a huge party planned and would love to show the game in HD.

help!

i'm doing my best to read all of the posts, but having to actually work is limiting me.
post #444 of 1770 Old 02-04-2005, 01:39 PM

I live not too far away, Polk & Sierra and get 26.1 just fine. Forget those indoor antennas and get a real one. For a quick fix go to Sparky's and get their square bow tie antenna and just use inside your home until you can get it outside. Thats what I did before I put mine on the roof and it worked just fine.
post #445 of 1770 Old 02-04-2005, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Indoor antennas don't like houses with tile or stone-coated steel roofs, nor do they work well if there's stucco with chicken wire under it and/or insulation bats with foil covering.

Drew has the best idea for indoor antenna, don't get an amp from Sparky though--the ones they sell introduce lots of noise in an analog signal which will translate to real nastiness on a digital one--been there, tried that. If that antenna doesn't work inside, put a long lead on it and take it outside and put it as high as you can and jigger it around. Best idea is to permanently mount it on a real antenna mast, chimney mount often quickest and easiest solution.

Steve S.
post #446 of 1770 Old 02-06-2005, 03:41 PM

After watching commercials all weekend from Comcast explaining how they tried to get us the Super Bowl in HD but could not reach an agreement, I go to the listings for Fresno Comcast Digital on TitanTV.com and they have listings already for KMPH-DT on channel 906. Looks like we were the losers in the Pappas/Comcast game of chicken.
post #447 of 1770 Old 02-06-2005, 09:54 PM

Well I enjoyed the Super Bowl very much. I went to friend's house in Hanford, and I took my OTA tuner with me. We were able to get a weak signal from KMPH and was able to watch the game in HD and 5.1 DD surround. It was showing about 3 bars worth of signal, but it was enough to get the broadcaset.
post #448 of 1770 Old 02-07-2005, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

KMPH aside for a moment.
Given the choice between Comcast HD provided locals and OTA, is there THAT much difference in PQ?

I've read on other location threads, like the Bay Area, etc. that most folks are very happy with the PQ from Comcast on HD broadcasts.

This could be the deal breaker for me on dumping Dish, and going with cable when I get my HDTV and not messing around with OTA.

Cable already beat out SBC for high speed internet. They gave me 29.99/month for 1 year vs. SBC $36/mo the 1.5-3.0 mps DSL Pro service.
Of course they only did it because I planned to cancel the standard $56/mo service.
I spent only 5 min on the phone with Comcast, 20 min. with SBC just to cancel an order. That's another story....
post #449 of 1770 Old 02-07-2005, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I've been very happy with the HD picture quality from comcast for both the networks locally and the other HD channels. I wouldn't expect the PQ to be very different from OTA, actually. I don't think comcast has the compression degradation HD picture quality issue that some have complained about with satellite.

post #450 of 1770 Old 02-07-2005, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Rodney. That's very interesting.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page