Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1770 Old 01-06-2006, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihawker View Post

Will that atenna get all stations (UHF/VHF) OTA? Will a 5 ft pole be enough to get OTA stations?

Not sure why you want UHF, but I do know that the antenna at Sparky's will get all the OTA local digital stations. When You say a 5 ft pole I would assume you meen once on your roof top. If nothing is blocking your view to the East 5' will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1770 Old 01-14-2006, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM View Post

Not sure why you want UHF....

Because most digital channels are on UHF?

Here in East Clovis I'm getting KAIL, KSEE, KGPE, KMPH, KTVH, KFSN, & KVPT with two
indoor antennae (Silver Sensor) aimed in opposite directions, using a splitter between them.
Never have to adjust them. True, I have a virtually unobstructed view of most tranmitters (less than 25 miles), most are within a few degrees of each other, except for KMPH.

www.antennaweb.org

Most useful site, but always try experimenting with at least one indoor antenna first.
If I followed their advice, I would have a medium multidirectional antenna erected on a 20+' foot pole outside.
post #633 of 1770 Old 01-16-2006, 05:08 PM

any help would be great guys
post #634 of 1770 Old 01-16-2006, 05:11 PM

I have tried any number of indoor antennae but the problem is I can't seem to get every station with one. The bear to get is KFSN I got all other channels with an indoor except 30.
post #635 of 1770 Old 01-16-2006, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sihawker View Post

I have tried any number of indoor antennae but the problem is I can't seem to get every station with one. The bear to get is KFSN I got all other channels with an indoor except 30.

30 was the toughest for me too. And even though now it is tuned in, on occassion it looks like it might break up again. Like I said, I use 2 antenna coupled together, it's all about experimenting. But no guarantees. If you have to give up one channel to get another, that's about the only option left, other than putting up an outside antenna.
post #636 of 1770 Old 01-16-2006, 09:11 PM

Anybody have trouble with KMPH? I can't seem to get KMPH digital.

When I try to scan Ch. 28 using my Sasem/Onair tuner, I get the following:

Sasem/OnAir
post #637 of 1770 Old 01-16-2006, 10:18 PM

Yep...

HD TiVo isn't tuning in KMPH-DT. The tuner card (MyHD) causes an immediate reboot when I try to record.

Oddly enough, my TV tuner is picking it up just fine. (Sony 50" SXRD)

Grrrrr!!!!!!!
post #638 of 1770 Old 01-16-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post

Yep...

HD TiVo isn't tuning in KMPH-DT. The tuner card (MyHD) causes an immediate reboot when I try to record.

Oddly enough, my TV tuner is picking it up just fine. (Sony 50" SXRD)

Grrrrr!!!!!!!

Was able to scan in on KMPH-DT after watching the two hours of "24" in SD tonite!

BOO!!!!
post #639 of 1770 Old 01-17-2006, 09:38 AM

KMPH was down for me also on 26.1. When I would try 28.1 the PSIP would take my set back to 26.1. However after every commercial break I would check it (24 fan also) and about 40 min in it was back up.
post #640 of 1770 Old 01-17-2006, 10:23 AM

Any news on KMPH HD availability on Comcast?

--------------
David Parker
--------------
post #641 of 1770 Old 01-20-2006, 04:18 PM

I'm soooo close to ditching my Comcast DVR's and digital service, and solely run Windows MediaCenter (MCE) instead. It works fantastic currently, and I can stream live/recorded HD content to any/all of three the HD monitors in the house via three XBOX360's connected via ethernet. This technology solution has way over delivered in its capabilities and is almost ready for the ultimate test... the WAF test!
However, before I can present it to my wife and get rid of the Comcast DVR's, I have one remaining problem: MCE will not tune in CBS Digital (47.1 KGPE). Any other MCE users in town having this problem? I have dual FusionHDTV 5 Gold cards, and the software that comes with the cards shows the station fine and says I have 92% signal strength. I've been trying to fix this for over a week and can't find a solution. Some people have suggested that MCE relies on the PSIP info, and that most likely KGPE's is messed up. Does that make any sense?

Oh... BTW - I have all 4 hours of this week's "24" in HD on my MCE server, 26 HD recorded fine for me. Go figure....

Thanks for the help!
Adam
post #642 of 1770 Old 01-20-2006, 06:47 PM

I have been trying for 2 months to get 47.1 KGPE on my Voom HD receiver. I can get a 99% signal before trying to scan, but when I go to scan, it will pause for 20 seconds or so, but will never lock on to their channel. Channel 47 engineers hang around here some times so it would be nice for them to maybe help. The ID is not being picked up on my box either. I live in Clovis as well. I can get all the other local stations but no KGPE. If I can't get one, I might as well not be able to any due to the WAF. Long and short is I don't think it is your computer cards problem........
post #643 of 1770 Old 01-20-2006, 07:01 PM

Jays,

Thanks for the response. I guess I'm glad that I'm not the only one... but a little nervous about resolving the issue knowing that yours hasn't been working the last two months. I emailed engineering@cbs47.tv this afternoon. I'll post back if I get a response. Fingers crossed.....

Adam
post #644 of 1770 Old 01-23-2006, 06:22 PM

I'm investigating using OTA HD with an indoor antenna as opposed to the Comcast HD cable box with just the basic/standard cable. I'm in north-east Clovis north of Herndon and Armstrong.

With the Comcast HD box and standard cable I only get four HDTV stations: ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS.

I've looked at Antennaweb to see which HD channels I can get from my location, but wanted to get feedback from existing OTA HD users about what is actually possible.

Using an indoor antenna (or antennas (antennea? :-D)) which OTA HD stations can I expect to get?

Which antenna would you suggest?

If anyone has made their own PC-based PVR that uses OTA HD and also regular cable, I'd really like to hear about how you did this.

Thanks!
post #645 of 1770 Old 01-23-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidParker View Post

Any news on KMPH HD availability on Comcast?

I'd like to know also !
post #646 of 1770 Old 01-23-2006, 08:39 PM

Hork,

I am at Peach/Teague, and use an outdoor UHF antenna on a 6 ft mast mounted to the 2nd story roof of my home. The antenna is the old-school $20 flat mesh screen one from Fresno Ag. I receive all the following digital stations: KMPH (FOX 26.1), KSEE (NBC, 24.1,2), KVPT (PBS 18.1,2), KAIL (UPN 53 7.1), KGMC (43), KFSN (ABC,30.1,2,3), KFRE (WB, 59.1), KGPE (CBS, 47.1 - but see my post above), KFTV (21.1), and KTFF (61.1,2). While testing my setup, I've used an indoor el-cheapo antenna, and was able to receive the same lineup, but had to continually adjust the position. Again, this was just for testing. I have some other buddies that have had great luck with antennaes mounted in their attic or just postioned in their media cabinet. Pat, if your listening, what are are/were you using?

As for your last question, my current setup is a Windows Media Center Box. 2 analog tuners connected to Comcast basic cable (could connect my Comcast digital receiver - but why? I want to ditch the dang thing.), 2 digital tuners connected via OTA. I also had a Fedora linux-based MythTV setup prior to the XBOX 360 being released. That worked well too... but just took A LOT of work and I never even bothered submitting it for the WAF test.

Let me know if you need more specifics. Feel free to PM me.

Adam
post #647 of 1770 Old 01-24-2006, 11:30 AM

Good news! The Director of Engineering from KGPE called me this morning to let me know that a few other MediaCenter users have also reported the same problem and that he is actively working on finding a resolution. I'll post back as I get more info. Jays, there may be hope for your VOOM box!

Adam
post #648 of 1770 Old 01-25-2006, 07:22 PM

Here is the full reply from Comcast in response to an email inquiry I sent from their website asking about FOX HD. It arrived within 10 minutes of my email. Obviously a prewritten "canned" response.

Thank you for contacting Comcast.

Comcast is committed to deploying HDTV service. We are working to provide as many high definition channel broadcasters as possible. Here are some of the factors involved with expanding our high definition lineup in Madera:

-the negotiation and contract process required to obtain the rights to carry a specific high definition broadcast, such as TNT-HD and FOX HD

-the increased bandwidth resources which are required

-the relatively low number of subscribers (currently only a small minority of customers have high definition compatible television sets)

We will continue to explore additional HD programming opportunities as more content providers make plans to offer their programming in HD format.

We appreciate the fact that you took the time to let us know what is important to you. We hope to expand our high definition channel lineup as fast as we can. Unfortunately we are unable to provide specific details regarding the launch of new channels at this time, please keep an eye on your monthly billing statement as the announcement of any channel additions will appear on those statements.

Thank you for choosing Comcast.

Sincerely,

Tamra
Comcast Online Customer Support

--------------
David Parker
--------------
post #649 of 1770 Old 01-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Don't know if this has been posted in this thread yet or not...

Spoke with D* tonight, and was told that our area (central valley) is scheduled to receive the MPEG4 HD-lil upgrade this May. Originally, it was thought it would be the end of this year, and being somewhat skeptical I burrowed my way deeper past CSR's to make sure, and sure enough, May!

Also, I inquired about the equipment upgrades and after once again getting through the CSR's (the first told me I would have to pay $99 to upgrade to the 5 LNB, but that my current HD-Tivo would work, the 2nd was honest and told me she had no idea) I spoke with the installation division and was told that the dish, installation, and new HD-Tivo would all be free. I'm expecting it also to require a programming commitment as well, but didn't ask about that part.

Anyway, exciting news for D* subs.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
post #650 of 1770 Old 02-03-2006, 06:17 PM

Just noticed an on-box message from Comcast that we will be getting Universal HD for the olympics. I'm going from memory here, but I think it said channel 926 and will be available 2/9/06.

Anybody know if UHD will stay after the olympics, or is it just temporary?

--------------
David Parker
--------------
post #651 of 1770 Old 02-04-2006, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Just noticed an on-box message from Comcast that we will be getting Universal HD for the olympics. I'm going from memory here, but I think it said channel 926 and will be available 2/9/06.

Anybody know if UHD will stay after the olympics, or is it just temporary?

Yeah I just noticed this as well. I would hope Universal hd would be a permanent addition to the cable lineup but have my doubts. Why would they all of the sudden give us Universal hd when we don't have fox hd, tnt hd, etc...
post #652 of 1770 Old 02-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Universal HD will be permanent. Spoke with my Comcast rep, and he also informed me that they will be carrying the WB hd channel as soon as they get their upgrade done. As for Fox, Pappas is still playing hard ball and there is at the moment no end in site as to when they will be able to carry the Fox HD channel. I'll update as I have more news. No news for TNT-HD either.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
post #653 of 1770 Old 02-04-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatch View Post

As for Fox, Pappas is still playing hard ball and there is at the moment no end in site as to when they will be able to carry the Fox HD channel. I'll update as I have more news. No news for TNT-HD either.

If I were Comcast, I'd seriously think about telling him that if he doesn't accept our offer within the next 30 days, we wouldn't be back to talk to him until we had stuff like The Weather Channel and Telemundo in HD
post #654 of 1770 Old 02-06-2006, 09:17 AM

I wonder if KMPH realizes that many of us with HD boxes (even if we have QAM tuners) do not watch KMPH very much because we pretty much surf just the HD channels. Now on the bedroom TV I watch them more because it doesn't make a difference. As more and more of the public gets HD boxes I'm sure this is going decrease viewership for them.
post #655 of 1770 Old 02-09-2006, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Turned on my tv today and noticed that UHD is on channel 920, replacing INHD for the time being. What gives? I thought that UHD was supposed to be on 926, not replacing one of the inhd channels!

Something is fishy around here...
post #656 of 1770 Old 02-09-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeydog View Post

Turned on my tv today and noticed that UHD is on channel 920, replacing INHD for the time being. What gives? I thought that UHD was supposed to be on 926, not replacing one of the inhd channels!

Something is fishy around here...

Yup...my box received a message yesterday changing the channel to 920...so they are NOT adding a new channel. Rats.

--------------
David Parker
--------------
post #657 of 1770 Old 02-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I e-mailed Comcast a year ago (Jan 2005) and got the exact same canned reply...word for word. So I guess they haven't pursued it any further? Also, remember last year in January, Comcast had commercials saying they were working towards having KMPH-DT before the superbowl? Well that came and went...not to mention ANOTHER super bowl...

Quote:

Here is the full reply from Comcast in response to an email inquiry I sent from their website asking about FOX HD. It arrived within 10 minutes of my email. Obviously a prewritten "canned" response.

Thank you for contacting Comcast.

Comcast is committed to deploying HDTV service. We are working to provide as many high definition channel broadcasters as possible. Here are some of the factors involved with expanding our high definition lineup in Madera:

-the negotiation and contract process required to obtain the rights to carry a specific high definition broadcast, such as TNT-HD and FOX HD

-the increased bandwidth resources which are required

-the relatively low number of subscribers (currently only a small minority of customers have high definition compatible television sets)

We will continue to explore additional HD programming opportunities as more content providers make plans to offer their programming in HD format.

We appreciate the fact that you took the time to let us know what is important to you. We hope to expand our high definition channel lineup as fast as we can. Unfortunately we are unable to provide specific details regarding the launch of new channels at this time, please keep an eye on your monthly billing statement as the announcement of any channel additions will appear on those statements.

Thank you for choosing Comcast.

Sincerely,

Tamra
Comcast Online Customer Support

Justin
post #658 of 1770 Old 02-12-2006, 12:18 AM

Is it just me or were there a lot of glitches/freezing during the Olympics broadcast tonight on KSEE?
post #659 of 1770 Old 02-15-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad62 View Post

Is it just me or were there a lot of glitches/freezing during the Olympics broadcast tonight on KSEE?

No, it wasn't just you--it was happening to me, too (Visalia).

Fortunately, it's been much improved since then.
post #660 of 1770 Old 02-23-2006, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Fresno made the list of the next batch of 24 HD-LIL markets being added by D* starting in April.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page