Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1770 Old 10-19-2006, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrysDark View Post

The antenna I have is UHF/VHF (circle and dipoles) it's also amplified, is it just because it's indoors that I can't receive, because I am in an apt and can't really set up an outdoor one.

I think you might be stuck. I tried nearly everything to get that darn channel without an outdoor antenna and nothing did it. I finally was able to get all the channels in the area with an outdoor antenna though. Cheap, easy to install and works like a charm. If apartments must allow satellites, why wouldn't they be required to allow antennas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1770 Old 10-19-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A. View Post

What's is up with CBS not broadcasting NFL games in HD lately? For the last couple of weeks, the Raiders' games has been in SD. I'm a Niners' fan, so it doesn't bother me that much since Fox always show their games in HD, but it was very disappointing to not see their beating of the Raiders in HD!

And according to hdsportsguide.com, Niners' game vs. the Chargers on 10/15 won't be in HD either.

CBS is lagging. FOX is stomping them in the HD sports content. I just think it's unacceptable that the games aren't in HD. If the NFL is going to dictate what games we are FORCED to watch then the least it can do is make them in HD.

So, it's pretty funny that the "chief" engineer gets on and responds to an old thread in a defensive manner, yet his station doesn't pass on the 5.1 sound and won't show Sunday football games in HD.
post #903 of 1770 Old 10-20-2006, 03:44 PM

Yeah but I hope that the digital 47.2 would have great programming when it comes on the air soon.
post #904 of 1770 Old 10-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Never had any major (or minor, really) dropouts on KGPE HD via Comcast. Isn't this same signal sent OTA being piped to Comcast? Or are these OTA dropouts a transmitter issue? Only Comcast digital local I've experienced occasional dropouts with is KFSN 30.

Also noticed the "47.2" w/ my OTA signal (which i really never use thanks to Comcast). Are the above posts saying that KGPE will be broadcasting CBS's 5.1 audio soon?

It seems to be a broadcast issue, so Comcast customers are not affected. KGPE is still coming in at full strength for me in Hanford.

So to any KGPE engineers out there, whatever you are doing, keep doing it. I'd rather get full-power SD, rather than HD that drops out every 20 seconds.

Well, I guess they are back in HD, as of 10/20/06, at around 80% signal strength. 47.2 is also on the air, with a "Coming Soon" announcement. So I hope they have finally sorted things out over there. I had been having dropout problems with them for at least the last 6 months, and had completely given up on tuning them in.
post #905 of 1770 Old 10-24-2006, 07:41 PM

If you are using Comcast HD boxes, expect to see some new firmware loaded to them around 3:30 tomorrow am.

MTV HD and Universal HD will also be available on channels 928 and 927 next Tuesday AM.

Homer
post #906 of 1770 Old 10-27-2006, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by testhomer View Post

If you are using Comcast HD boxes, expect to see some new firmware loaded to them around 3:30 tomorrow am.

MTV HD and Universal HD will also be available on channels 928 and 927 next Tuesday AM.

Homer

Like the new Comcast updates. Looks about the same, but a bit more user-friendly. More program info jammed onto the screen. Seems that the FF/REW DVR functions are much faster than before. And noticed the On Demand functions (FF/REW/Pause/Play/Stop) are now more like those of the DVR. Just wish you could do the "10-seconds back" function, too.

Video quality of the current tuned program in the top left corner when accessing guide/menu seems to be lessened (kinda choppy), but that doesn't bother me--just noticed it, that's all.

Now if I could just get the occasional "locking up" of the box (remote button pushes sometimes don't respond immediately--multiple commands are sometimes delayed then catch up all at once) to stop. Not a firmware issue, I realize, but apparently a "remote buffer" (?) issue w/ the Motorola units. Anyone know if swapping HD-DVRs would be a fix? Intend to swap my current Moto 6412 that I've had for about 18 months (DVI out only) for one w/ HDMI out.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #907 of 1770 Old 10-29-2006, 11:01 PM

Just got the KVPT signal on channel 40-1 and 40-2. Although it looks like their signals drop every now and again. Is there any way to solve that problem?
post #908 of 1770 Old 10-31-2006, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Try re-aiming your antenna. From Hanford, most of the Fresno transmitters are basically due north. However, KVPT and KMPH are about 30-40 degrees further east. If you rotate further east, you may also pick up the Catholic channel 49 (can't remember their call letters).

KVPT is one of the stronger signals, so if you have trouble picking them up with a properly aimed antenna, it does not bode well for picking up the some of the weaker, more tempermental ones (e.g. KGPE 47.1 and 47.2).
post #909 of 1770 Old 10-31-2006, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Universal HD (Ch 927) and MHD (MTVHD-Ch 928) came on last night around 11:00 for Comcast subscribers.

Nice to see an MTV-related channel actually play MUSIC! A mix of MTV, VH-1 and CMT.

Us Comcast types actually have a pretty decent HD selection these days. 6 HD locals-covering all the networks, 9 "cable" and /or sports and events channels, premium HD (if you're payin' for it--HBO for me) and HD stuff On Demand.

Nice, too, to not have antenna issues w/ locals.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #910 of 1770 Old 10-31-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Try re-aiming your antenna. From Hanford, most of the Fresno transmitters are basically due north. However, KVPT and KMPH are about 30-40 degrees further east. If you rotate further east, you may also pick up the Catholic channel 49 (can't remember their call letters).

KVPT is one of the stronger signals, so if you have trouble picking them up with a properly aimed antenna, it does not bode well for picking up the some of the weaker, more tempermental ones (e.g. KGPE 47.1 and 47.2).

Yeah, but at least KVPT-DT works too. I also get some of the Bakersfield channels as well such as KGET-DT 25 as well as the secondary CW channel on KGET. Cahnnel 49 is KNXT which was previously the call letters for the now KCBS-TV. Finally KBAK-DT, KERO-DT and KUVI-DT works well too but at least with KVPT, it works fine now. KGPE-DT works good too although I'm wondering what will air on their DT-2 channel?
post #911 of 1770 Old 11-01-2006, 11:37 PM

FOX HD on KMPH really works though with, The Rich List.
post #912 of 1770 Old 11-03-2006, 06:00 PM

are any of you guys having issues with 30.1? i can get vid, but the audio is jacked..nothign but bass. 24.1 26.1 and 47.1 come in fine, and its only this station...any ideas?

hmm just checked it again and i cant get it to show up...my signals are around 75-80% for all the other channels, but i get 0 on 30.1
post #913 of 1770 Old 11-03-2006, 07:06 PM

I can't even get 30.1 and I really want to... I have the proper antena but I can't seem to solve the issue.
post #914 of 1770 Old 11-03-2006, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrysDark View Post

I can't even get 30.1 and I really want to... I have the proper antena but I can't seem to solve the issue.

I've had sooo much problems with KFSN signal that I don't bother anymore. Very rare would I get good clear signal, then it degrades once in a while with pixel blocking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #915 of 1770 Old 11-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Just curious, are you using an indoor antenna?

If so, it would seem that using an outdoor antenna is pretty much a requirement for KFSN.

I'm using an outdoor antenna in Hanford and KFSN is probably the only station that NEVER breaks up, despite broadcasting three different frequencies (30.1, 30.2, and 30.3).

On a side note, KNXT 49 seems to be down this weekend, at least for me.
post #916 of 1770 Old 11-05-2006, 12:10 PM

im using an indoor....i just moved last weekend and before that in my old place i was able to get all of the digital chans with my indoor antenna, but since i moved i cant get chan 30.1, but my signal on all the others is much stronger. dunno why...i only moved 1.6 miles SE of where i was before.

welp i got 30.1 workin correctly off my indoor antenna...all i did was move it from one side of my entertainment center to the other, and i moved the ears a lil bit and ta-da i get em all. sound is fine
post #917 of 1770 Old 11-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Great! That sounds easy. And so much for my roof antenna theory.
post #918 of 1770 Old 11-06-2006, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Using outdoor antenna, on a second story perch- iffy depends on the time of day or some other unknown phenomenon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #919 of 1770 Old 11-06-2006, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Shot View Post

I've had sooo much problems with KFSN signal that I don't bother anymore. Very rare would I get good clear signal, then it degrades once in a while with pixel blocking.

KFSN was a huge OTA problem for me a couple of yrs ago w/ both rooftop and indoor antennas. Actually all OTA wasn't great unless the weather was pristine(my house is surrounded by really big trees in all directions). Cable was a lifesaver! However, I've noticed that KFSNHD via Comcast is still the most "glitchy" at times. It's rare that I see an episode of LOST w/o at least one momentary audio dropout/pixel blocking hiccup. Is the problem on KFSN's end or w/ Comcast? And do any other Comcast subscribers have this problem?

post #920 of 1770 Old 11-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Any word when Comcast will start simulcasting the 0-99 channels in digital format?

Justin
post #921 of 1770 Old 11-07-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlnluck View Post

Any word when Comcast will start simulcasting the 0-99 channels in digital format?

Best info that I could get from Comcast recently was that the analog-to-digital conversion was "underway" in most markets and should be expected to be 100% complete by 1st quarter 2007. "Analog" premium channels (HBO,SHOWTIME, ect.) were deleted from the 2-99 tier a month or so ago. Tuning to those channels now gives you a looped message redirecting viewers to the "new" locations in the 500 channel block.

The existing 2-99 programming will eventually make it's way over to the now-unused 200 or 300 tiers. The analog 2-99 will apparently be simulcast along w/ the digital versions until the FCC-mandated death of analog TV in '08 or '09. This may make a difference in PQ for these channels, although even some digital SD can look crappy on a big HDTV. Let's hope they don't compress the crap out of these digital simulcast signals.

edit: Just spoke to an online Comcast rep. Told me that the last CA area to complete the ADS (analog/digital simulcast) was Davis. My area (Fresno/Visalia) was still listed as "To Be Determined", but that by mid-'07, Comcast expected all of their ADS projects to be complete.

post #922 of 1770 Old 11-07-2006, 10:59 AM

First time posting on this forum, although I've been reading all of these messages. I came across this forum when I recently ditched Comcast because of their, in my opinion, unethical billing practices such as doubling their monthly cost after they give you a 6-12 month deal. After the monthly deal ends, they intentionally sneak an outrageous monthly price that they expect you to pay from then on. I had been getting their 6-12 month special deals for around 3 years until here recently when they wouldn't budge on their pricing.

On another note: DID YOU KNOW...

That if you go to viidoo.tv and download their TVU Player and set it up, you can receive ESPN, ESPN2, CNN, Comedy Central and many, many popular other cable channels absolutely FREE! - That'll show Comcast who their messing with.

Also, someone on this forum said that they were using MyHD PCI Tuner and I wanted to know what the pros and cons were with using that device as I am from Fresno (Northwest - off of Milburn & Herndon) and was looking into sending my PC signal to my TV set. Would that be the way to go?

I would also consider an HDTV Tuner STB if anyone has any suggestions, I am a newbie to the OTA TV world. I currently have a pre HDTV so I am interested in the most cost efficient way of obtaining DTV.

FWIW - I purchased the RadioShack 15-1878 Indoor TV Antenna and that puppy does wonders in picking up all of the major networks in this area. A little fuzzy at times but they do come in. I did do my homework while I searched for the right antenna for my OTA TV watching needs.

My name is Victor R. and I approve this message. (HaHa - Election time you know)
post #923 of 1770 Old 11-07-2006, 11:08 AM

If you have any questions regarding the setup process of the TVU Player, just drop me a line. I just discovered this neat little program while I was just browsing the internet and looking into my OTA options. You do need a pretty good video card to make sure that you get the best picture, but you knew that.
post #924 of 1770 Old 11-07-2006, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrom67 View Post

First time posting on this forum, although I've been reading all of these messages. I came across this forum when I recently ditched Comcast because of their, in my opinion, unethical billing practices such as doubling their monthly cost after they give you a 6-12 month deal. After the monthly deal ends, they intentionally sneak an outrageous monthly price that they expect you to pay from then on. I had been getting their 6-12 month special deals for around 3 years until here recently when they wouldn't budge on their pricing.

On another note: DID YOU KNOW...

That if you go to viidoo.tv and download their TVU Player and set it up, you can receive ESPN, ESPN2, CNN, Comedy Central and many, many popular other cable channels absolutely FREE! - That'll show Comcast who their messing with.

Also, someone on this forum said that they were using MyHD PCI Tuner and I wanted to know what the pros and cons were with using that device as I am from Fresno (Northwest - off of Milburn & Herndon) and was looking into sending my PC signal to my TV set. Would that be the way to go?

I would also consider an HDTV Tuner STB if anyone has any suggestions, I am a newbie to the OTA TV world. I currently have a pre HDTV so I am interested in the most cost efficient way of obtaining DTV.

FWIW - I purchased the RadioShack 15-1878 Indoor TV Antenna and that puppy does wonders in picking up all of the major networks in this area. I did do my homework while I searched for the right antenna for my OTA TV watching needs.

My name is Victor R. and I approve this message. (HaHa - Election time you know)

Welcome, Victor. Nice to have a new voice on this thread.

I feel ya when it comes to the cost of Comcast. But after my own research into cable vs. satellite vs. OTA for HD, Comcast still came out ahead. Both DirecTV and Dish want a non-refundable deposit (around $200) to LEASE an HD-DVR box. And buying one (satellite or stand-alone OTA) is even more costly. Comcast, on the other hand, supplies you w/ a dual tuner HD-DVR as your primary cable box. Satellite (at the time, don't know the situation at this time) also required an OTA antenna to get some if not all the HD locals in the Fresno area. This was an issue for me since I live in an older neighborhood w/ lots of big, old trees on all sides. Both indoor and outdoor antennas gave me intermitent at best signal quality when the weather was nice. Wind and rain reduced most local signals to pixels. Since Comcast finally picked up KMPH HD (and KRFE as well), my HD locals are now pretty much rock solid signals that are run thru the DVR. Add that to the fact that Comcast actually has a pretty nice list of HD programming (and the highly addictive OnDemand, as well) and it seems that what they charge isn't too bad. I pay around $95/month for digital cable that includes HBO, Encore, HD and a HD-DVR. The charge for HD and DVR equals 9 bucks per month---less than either satellite providers charge just for their HD packages. Add more per month for the DVR fee.

Switching to satellite, for me, would not save me any more than a couple of bucks a month. And I'd still have to cough up the dough to lease a HD-DVR and would lack the OnDemand features. All this coupled with having to potentially use an OTA antenna for some local HD/digital stuff just shows me that Comcast is--for now, at least---the way to go HD. And the argument that satellite often offers up---"We are ALL DIGITAL, unlike digital cable"---is just lame. First off, most SD programming-analog or digital-is going to potentially look kinda crappy on a big HD set. And Comcast is in the process of implementing their ADS (analog/digital simulcast) right now. Fresno area should expect to see analog ch. 2-99 simulcast in all-digital sometime in early '07.

post #925 of 1770 Old 11-07-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Welcome, Victor. Nice to have a new voice on this thread.

I feel ya when it comes to the cost of Comcast. But after my own research into cable vs. satellite vs. OTA for HD, Comcast still came out ahead. Both DirecTV and Dish want a non-refundable deposit (around $200) to LEASE an HD-DVR box. And buying one (satellite or stand-alone OTA) is even more costly. Comcast, on the other hand, supplies you w/ a dual tuner HD-DVR as your primary cable box. Satellite (at the time, don't know the situation at this time) also required an OTA antenna to get some if not all the HD locals in the Fresno area. This was an issue for me since I live in an older neighborhood w/ lots of big, old trees on all sides. Both indoor and outdoor antennas gave me intermitent at best signal quality when the weather was nice. Wind and rain reduced most local signals to pixels. Since Comcast finally picked up KMPH HD (and KRFE as well), my HD locals are now pretty much rock solid signals that are run thru the DVR. Add that to the fact that Comcast actually has a pretty nice list of HD programming (and the highly addictive OnDemand, as well) and it seems that what they charge isn't too bad. I pay around $95/month for digital cable that includes HBO, Encore, HD and a HD-DVR. The charge for HD and DVR equals 9 bucks per month---less than either satellite providers charge just for their HD packages. Add more per month for the DVR fee.

Switching to satellite, for me, would not save me any more than a couple of bucks a month. And I'd still have to cough up the dough to lease a HD-DVR and would lack the OnDemand features. All this coupled with having to potentially use an OTA antenna for some local HD/digital stuff just shows me that Comcast is--for now, at least---the way to go HD. And the argument that satellite often offers up---"We are ALL DIGITAL, unlike digital cable"---is just lame. First off, most SD programming-analog or digital-is going to potentially look kinda crappy on a big HD set. And Comcast is in the process of implementing their ADS (analog/digital simulcast) right now. Fresno area should expect to see analog ch. 2-99 simulcast in all-digital sometime in early '07.

FYI:
Just to let you know the present deal on Direct TV as I was on the phone with a Customer Service Rep (CSR) yesterday trying to iron out "ALL" of the fees that were included with their service. It was like an act of congress to get any info out of this CSR as I had to be very specific with my questions which was driving me nuts with her. She was being very hesitant on her responses when I asked her about the $100 rebate that they have. And when I asked her about the Programming Fees, she was again hesitant with her answer. She was making me feel like no one ever asked her these questions before. Since I don't like CSRs who hold back information, I tried to think of as many questions to ask her, just because I could.

Heck, there were some questions that I asked again from earlier in our discussion.
Now that I think of it, I think I'll call back again right now and ask the questions all over again just to see if anything has changed. I can't think of a better way to spend your time while on vacation! (HaHa)
post #926 of 1770 Old 11-07-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrom67 View Post

FYI:
Just to let you know the present deal on Direct TV as I was on the phone with a Customer Service Rep (CSR) yesterday trying to iron out "ALL" of the fees that were included with their service. It was like an act of congress to get any info out of this CSR as I had to be very specific with my questions which was driving me nuts with her. She was being very hesitant on her responses when I asked her about the $100 rebate that they have. And when I asked her about the Programming Fees, she was again hesitant with her answer. She was making me feel like no one ever asked her these questions before. Since I don't like CSRs who hold back information, I tried to think of as many questions to ask her, just because I could.

Heck, there were some questions that I asked again from earlier in our discussion.
Now that I think of it, I think I'll call back again right now and ask the questions all over again just to see if anything has changed. I can't think of a better way to spend your time while on vacation! (HaHa)

Totally! Phone reps for either satellite or cable usually strike me as a step below trained monkeys. Often never have their info straight. Just there to sign you up for service.

Comcast does have online CSRs that I've had better luck with. They seem to have access to specific info as opposed to just being a telemarketing operator.

Believe me, if I could get everything I'm getting from Comcast thru satellite I would switch. Esp. if there was a "newbie" price deal. Used to have both Dish and, for a short time, VOOM. And liked them both. But it seems that as of late, satellite has been asleep at the wheel while cable surpasses them with their various services. Don't get me wrong, there are still negatives w/ Comcast. I do know that their HD signals, for example, are sometime a bit more compressed than those over satellite/OTA. But a slight decrease in PQ (and I do mean SLIGHT) vs. all the positives makes cable an easy choice for me.

post #927 of 1770 Old 11-07-2006, 02:34 PM

Any word on getting Golden State Warriors games? I am really pissed about not getting the games in HD. The one time I gave Comcast a call, they told me Warriors games would be broadcasted on 919 instead of 920. I knew the guy was wrong, but I let it slide because of false hope.
post #928 of 1770 Old 11-07-2006, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonyo View Post

Any word on getting Golden State Warriors games? I am really pissed about not getting the games in HD. The one time I gave Comcast a call, they told me Warriors games would be broadcasted on 919 instead of 920. I knew the guy was wrong, but I let it slide because of false hope.

http://www.hdsportsguide.com/nba.php

This link directs you to HD Sports Guide's HD NBA info. Warriors regional games are run on FoxSportsNet (FSN) - Bay Area. Comcast Fresno (it seems) carries FSN -West's HD NBA broadcasts of regional Lakers. Bummer. Only regional NBA HD broadcasts here are Lakers, Kings and Clippers on INHD, FSN or CSN (ch925-HDSE).

Comcast phone reps are morons.

The linked list does have all NBA HD games lscheduled thru 4/18/07-both network and regional. Warriors do pop up on TNTHD a few times. Don't understand why Fresno area doesn't get bay area b-ball from FSN. We get baseball from them.

post #929 of 1770 Old 11-07-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:

http://www.hdsportsguide.com/nba.php

This link directs you to HD Sports Guide's HD NBA info. Warriors regional games are run on FoxSportsNet (FSN) - Bay Area. Comcast Fresno (it seems) carries FSN -West's HD NBA broadcasts of regional Lakers. Bummer. Only regional NBA HD broadcasts here are Lakers, Kings and Clippers on INHD, FSN or CSN (ch925-HDSE).

Comcast phone reps are morons.

The linked list does have all NBA HD games lscheduled thru 4/18/07-both network and regional. Warriors do pop up on TNTHD a few times. Don't understand why Fresno area doesn't get bay area b-ball from FSN. We get baseball from them.

I think it also means that depending on your zip code wise if you have a zip code such as 932--934--, territorial wise, the best chance your regional sports network you will get is from FSN West or Prime FSN ticket. If you live in a zip code like 95--- or 937-- then you live somewhere between FSN Bay area or Basketballwise you will get coverage from Sacramento Kings instead of the Warriors.
post #930 of 1770 Old 11-08-2006, 12:57 AM

That sucks so much. I can still catch the games on 37 but on 920 it is blacked out. Love the Warriors more than the Kings. FSN HD (920) broadcasts San Jose Sharks games and USC and other college football games too. Seen them broadcast a few times. Is there any way I can demand they broadcast Warriors games? Give them an ear full until they make it happen.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page