Fresno, CA - HDTV - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1770 Old 12-26-2006, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder when any of the 4 networks will be switching to HD with their newscasts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1770 Old 12-28-2006, 10:04 PM

Anyone using an OTA antenna having problems with KMPH at 10 PM everynight with the news not kicking in until a few minutes into the broadcast??? Happens on 906 on Comcast but regular analog 6 works....kind of frustrating as I miss the top stories sometimes....
post #993 of 1770 Old 01-03-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer2635 View Post

I wonder when any of the 4 networks will be switching to HD with their newscasts?

I believe KTLA down south does their news in HD.

I think KFSN has the ability to run HD in-house (they broadcast some local documentary in HD recently). Would think that "Your Local News in High Def" would be seen as a ratings/buzz grabber for a local station.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #994 of 1770 Old 01-03-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted96Chevy View Post

Anyone using an OTA antenna having problems with KMPH at 10 PM everynight with the news not kicking in until a few minutes into the broadcast??? Happens on 906 on Comcast but regular analog 6 works....kind of frustrating as I miss the top stories sometimes....

Never watch their news, but I'll check it out on 906.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #995 of 1770 Old 01-04-2007, 03:06 PM

For those using Comcast digital cable service, how reliable is your On Demand service? Our On Demand service never work. Every time we try it, we always get "communication error" or "Meta-6" error.

I've called customer service four times and each time they said they were going to send updates to our cable boxes and reset them, but each time it never work. After that, I finally just said #$^& it because personally I don't care for On Demand stuffs and didn't want to schedule a tech to come out and look at it because that has always been a pain in the ass.

However, the family has been hounding me to get this fix because they want to use the service. What normally is the problem with On Demand not working? Is it the boxes (2 HD and 1 SD - don't know the models offhand since I'm at work) or the lines?
post #996 of 1770 Old 01-04-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A. View Post

For those using Comcast digital cable service, how reliable is your On Demand service? Our On Demand service never work. Every time we try it, we always get "communication error" or "Meta-6" error.

I've called customer service four times and each time they said they were going to send updates to our cable boxes and reset them, but each time it never work. After that, I finally just said #$^& it because personally I don't care for On Demand stuffs and didn't want to schedule a tech to come out and look at it because that has always been a pain in the ass.

However, the family has been hounding me to get this fix because they want to use the service. What normally is the problem with On Demand not working? Is it the boxes (2 HD and 1 SD - don't know the models offhand since I'm at work) or the lines?

Used to do just what you describe about 1 out of 6-7 times. Far less recently. Usually around midnight, if ever. My guess any current holdups for me have to do with Comcast sending some signal out to the box (guide updates, msgs, etc). Have also noticed some programming start then say "Not Available".

Comcast still has some bugs. Don't even get me started on the Motorola HD DVR!

post #997 of 1770 Old 01-04-2007, 09:36 PM

Yeah, especially with most stations are going into HDTV such as KABC, KTLA, KCRA (Starting in Feburary), KUSA, KXTV (Sports programming/California Postards/Kings games although Hi-Def newscasts aare starting to become in talks). So my guess is that KFSN-TV should start airing their newscasts in HDTV.
post #998 of 1770 Old 01-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, especially with most stations are going into HDTV such as KABC, KTLA, KCRA (Starting in Feburary), KUSA, KXTV (Sports programming/California Postards/Kings games although Hi-Def newscasts aare starting to become in talks). So my guess is that KFSN-TV should start airing their newscasts in HDTV.

Most of the on-location news footage I see looks pretty bad, I guess due to poor lighting and the general lack of control over the shooting environment. I'm not sure if HD cameras would make too much difference. Plus, it's probably expensive to replace all the existing SD equipment. Like the microwave transmitters on the news trucks. I bet they would have to be upgraded, as well as the cameras.

Maybe they will start out just having the studio shots in HD, but the news stories in SD.

I think there will be lots of switching between 16:9 HD footage and 4:3 SD footage. You see that quite a bit on Good Morning America, where the studio shots are in all HD, but most (or all) of the news story footage is in 4:3 SD.

I guess the switchover will happen eventually, but it's gonna take awhile.
post #999 of 1770 Old 01-07-2007, 11:17 AM

I've noticed the previous posts about Channel 47's pixellation problems on CBS HDTV programs. I'm watching the Patriots/Jets game right now and is horrible. I have a Directv HR20 HD-DVR with mpeg4 HD locals and OTA capability. I began watching the game on 47.1 OTA (about 90-100% signal strength on my indoor antenna) and I noticed all of the pixellation problems. I thought maybe it was the OTA reception so I switched to Directv's mpeg4 HD feed of 47.1 and the same pixellation problems were there.

Are you Comcast and other OTA folks experiencing the same pixellation issues? Is this just a Channel 47 local problem or a CBS problem in general? I just got hooked up with HDTV and this is rather disappointing. I know CBS has the Super Bowl this year as well. Is this poor quality what we have to expect for the Big Game?
post #1000 of 1770 Old 01-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm using Comcast and no, you're not the only one experiencing this crap. The picture was horrible. So bad that I switched to the analog station to finish watching the game. .

OTOH, the game on Fox looked great. They usually do a fine job with their football broadcasting.
post #1001 of 1770 Old 01-07-2007, 08:41 PM

This has to be Channel 47's problem, right? I have a hard time believing that CBS' general HD broadcast nationwide is this bad. Has anyone checked with Channel 47 on this problem?

I agree about Fox's HD picture on 26.1 for this afternoon's game and for the BCS games last week. They looked great. I've noticed on my non-HD televisions that Channel 26's analog feed on Directv is coming in cropped the last few weeks with the bottoms and the side's being cutoff. Has anyone outside of Directv noticed this on their Channel 26 analog feed?
post #1002 of 1770 Old 01-08-2007, 05:12 PM

It's the same on Comcast's analog feed of KMPH. The newscast also is overscanned a bit on the sides.
At a restaurant, I noticed that the picture for the analog channel fit just right on the LCD monitors on the walls.

Does anyone know if the digital channel of KFTV (Univision) is available on Comcast with a QAM tuner?
1/12 answering my own question: the digital cable lineup doesn't have it.
post #1003 of 1770 Old 01-08-2007, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Has anyone noticed the picture quality issues on CBS over Comcast recently or is this a new development? I've always thought their sports offerings were sub-par, but tonight I started noticing issues with prime time programming. The picture pixelates all over the place and looks like watching OTA and the signal strength isn't good enough.

Anyone else see this on Comcast or is there an issue with my setup?

Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy...
post #1004 of 1770 Old 01-09-2007, 12:47 AM

Has anyone noticed the picture quality issues on CBS over Comcast recently or is this a new development? I've always thought their sports offerings were sub-par, but tonight I started noticing issues with prime time programming. The picture pixelates all over the place and looks like watching OTA and the signal strength isn't good enough.

post #1005 of 1770 Old 01-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Bought my Better Half a 26" LCD TV for the kitchen but it has two plugs for OTA reception , one for Analog and another for Digital channels, is their a"Y" pig tail available to hook up my OTA antenna to both
post #1006 of 1770 Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM

Liked: 12
Its called a splitter-combiner and you can get them at Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
post #1007 of 1770 Old 01-09-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1_8 View Post

CSI:MIAMI and a couple other shows I watch there sometimes pixellate during fast motion scenes. HD NFL does, too. Sometimes CBS HD from Comcast looks better than others. The original CSI is OnDemand in HD and doesn't seem to suffer nearly as much (and is in actual 5.1), so it could just be on 47's end.

post #1008 of 1770 Old 01-09-2007, 11:33 PM

Is anyone having trouble with OTA ABCHD (KFSN)?

I don't live in the valley anymore, but I have relatives in Merced who say that ABCHD has been completely blank for several days now. The other HD channels still work great, and they say that their older bedroom TV still gets ABC's analog broadcast, so I'm half suspicious that ABC's digital broadcast is having trouble. TIA.
post #1009 of 1770 Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM View Post

Its called a splitter-combiner and you can get them at Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Thanks Drew , I was hoping I wouldn't have to use a splitter, thought their would be something out there already made with 2 F-plug male ends and a single Female end, guess I gotta make my own
John
post #1010 of 1770 Old 01-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

CSI:MIAMI and a couple other shows I watch there sometimes pixellate during fast motion scenes. HD NFL does, too. Sometimes CBS HD from Comcast looks better than others. The original CSI is OnDemand in HD and doesn't seem to suffer nearly as much (and is in actual 5.1), so it could just be on 47's end.

I've seen this pixellation as well during motion scenes with CBS. I've also seen in on NBC during sports. Does anyone know if this is due to it being a 1080i signal or is it due to the signal being overly compressed? Just curious. I never see it on Fox...they are 720p right?

post #1011 of 1770 Old 01-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1_8 View Post

I've seen this pixellation as well during motion scenes with CBS. I've also seen in on NBC during sports. Does anyone know if this is due to it being a 1080i signal or is it due to the signal being overly compressed? Just curious. I never see it on Fox...they are 720p right?

I think the problem at OTA digital 47.1 KGPE is that their equipment has trouble trying to broadcast two channels (47.1 and 47.2) at the same time. Yesterday they had 47.2 shut off and the pixelization seemed to go away (at least for me). It's reassuring to hear that people on Comcast are experiencing the same problems, since that tells me that the problem is not with my antenna or receiver but something on 47's end.

To the person asking about HD channel 30.1 being off the air, I have had no problems at all. I would tell your relatives in Merced that it is probably some problem at their end (like the channel being accidently deleted from their tuner's preset list or something similar).
post #1012 of 1770 Old 01-11-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got a chance to see KFSN-TV's HD broadcasts of J! and WoF last night in HD. I noticed that some of the episodes of Wheel and Jeopardy! are Widescreen on the analog channels on some episodes. Are they doing this because of the fact that they are now in HD or are they doing this for other purposes?

Know this post was from a month ago, but when did you see Jeopardy in HD from KFSN? Still runs in SD on Comcast ch 903 (KFSNHD) and an email question to KFSN came back with an answer along the lines of "I Don't Know".

post #1013 of 1770 Old 01-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Know this post was from a month ago, but when did you see Jeopardy in HD from KFSN? Still runs in SD on Comcast ch 903 (KFSNHD) and an email question to KFSN came back with an answer along the lines of "I Don't Know".

Same here, I have never seen Jeopardy in HD with my over the air tuner. I thought since Sony is their sponsor, and also because they say something about HD at the beginning of the show that it might be in HD sometime in the future. But I look forward to that day.

I guess replacing that bank of rounded-screen TV's (that they used up until last season for displaying the clues) with flat screen displays is about all Sony could afford for now.
post #1014 of 1770 Old 01-11-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that, thanks to the Comcast rate increase, my cable bill has now exceeded $100/mo for the first time , thought I'd try to find out from any DirecTv HD users here how the service has treated them in the Fresno/Visalia area. Do they actually carry the big 4 networks' local HD feeds via satellite? $200 up front for the DVR is a bit steep for a lease, but I'd have essentially all the programming (minus OnDemand ), but gain 2 more premiums for a year and save about $20-$25 a month over Comcast.

Anyone.....?

post #1015 of 1770 Old 01-11-2007, 06:34 PM

jwebb1970,

The local HD channels are great on DirecTv. When I first got my HDTV I used it for movies only. Then I got an H20 receiver and subscribed to the HD channel lineup primarily to get locals in HD, but the programming wasn't very good on the satellite channels so I gave it up. I was surprised that I still received the locals in HD without the HD package.

I don't watch very much network TV, but the local HD programs. are exactly what HD is all about. You won't be disappointed.
post #1016 of 1770 Old 01-11-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Now that, thanks to the Comcast rate increase, my cable bill has now exceeded $100/mo for the first time , thought I'd try to find out from any DirecTv HD users here how the service has treated them in the Fresno/Visalia area. Do they actually carry the big 4 networks' local HD feeds via satellite? $200 up front for the DVR is a bit steep for a lease, but I'd have essentially all the programming (minus OnDemand ), but gain 2 more premiums for a year and save about $20-$25 a month over Comcast.

Anyone.....?

I just upgraded to Directv's HD DVR (HR20) system right after Christmas. I've been a Directv customer since 2003 and think it is a great service. The HD channels are nice, and they have the local stations (24, 26, 30, and 47) in HD as well. You can also plug in an antenna to the HR20 to receive OTA HD channels and they come up directly in the satellite guide and you can record them on the DVR. I have an indoor antenna and I receive most of the HD channels I can't get via satellite (18.1, 18.2, 24.2, 30.2, 30.3, and 59.1), including the HD channels I can get on satellite (24.1, 26.1, 30.1, and 47.1 - some think OTA HD quality is better than the Directv HD feed)

The HR20 is a relatively new HD DVR and still has a few bugs, but it has worked just fine for me. It can store over 200 hours of SD programming and 30-50 hours of HD programming.

I know that Directv's other HD channels are a little behind Comcast, but they are launching a couple satellites this year that will increase their bandwidth and they will be able to offer a whole load of new HD channels mid to late 2007 (FX, TBS, USA, A&E, etc.). They supposedly will have the capacity to offer up to 150 national HD channels after those satellites are up (I guess there needs to be a few more offerings in HD to meet this number, but that sounds promising...)

You should check out www.dbstalk.com for more information on Directv's HD offerings. They have some good feedback. I don't know how that compares to what Comcast is currently offering you, but it seems like a good alternative to me.

Hope this information helps.
post #1017 of 1770 Old 01-12-2007, 04:11 AM

Anyone with a QAM tuner connected to a Comcast line:
ShowtimeHD is available unencrypted for now on Channel 112.2 . This is in the Visalia area, so I'm not sure if it's the same for the Fresno area.
The tuner says that there is Digital Sound, but I'm not getting any audio at all. Captions still work, though.
post #1018 of 1770 Old 01-14-2007, 01:35 PM

What is going on with 47.1 and its HD broadcast lately? The quality is terrible and sometimes we're not even getting the HD feed, which is way frustrating while trying to watch the playoff!
post #1019 of 1770 Old 01-14-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Vandal View Post

What is going on with 47.1 and its HD broadcast lately? The quality is terrible and sometimes we're not even getting the HD feed, which is way frustrating while trying to watch the playoff!

This is the same problem that 47.1 has had in the past few weeks. This week's game of New England vs. San Diego was even worse as they went in and out of the HD feed and had the same bad pixellation issues. I noticed this issue on both OTA 47.1 and and on the satellite HD feed of 47.1 that I receive from Directv. I gave up on this and am now watching the game on the SD feed.

Has anyone been in contact with Channel 47 about these HD issues? I have a hard time believing that this is a CBS issue nationwide. If it stays this way, it is going to be a crappy Super Bowl game to watch for all of us here in the valley on HD with these problems!
post #1020 of 1770 Old 01-15-2007, 03:10 AM

From Comcast via QAM tuner, Saturday's game on CBS was perfect for me. Sunday's game had the bad pixelation problems all over the place. I stuck a coaxial signal amp in between the Comcast line and the tuner and some of the problems went away. There were still some off-color pixels, but hardly any audio skips like before.

Was the picture quality on Saturday's CBS game as bad as Sunday's game for all of you?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page