Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1770 Old 04-21-2007, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted96Chevy View Post

I'm hoping they will do them all in HD, however only the studio cameras are HD now, so the reporting from the field will be in SD for the time being...

...on another topic, if anyone here watched Grey's Anatomy or October Road via Comcast in HD, were there hiccups in video and sound throughout the shows or was that just my DVR acting up on me?? It was really bad in some parts as the sound would just cut out and made it hard to follow the stories

I watched it...came out just fine for me.

Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1770 Old 04-23-2007, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted96Chevy View Post

I'm hoping they will do them all in HD, however only the studio cameras are HD now, so the reporting from the field will be in SD for the time being...

...on another topic, if anyone here watched Grey's Anatomy or October Road via Comcast in HD, were there hiccups in video and sound throughout the shows or was that just my DVR acting up on me?? It was really bad in some parts as the sound would just cut out and made it hard to follow the stories

I have had audio hiccups on ALL local HD from time to time via Comcast. But I don't know if that is Comcast's/the DVR's fault. Could also be occuring OTA as well.

KFSN can be the biggest offender though. Again, can't say who/what is to blame. But they've never been bad enough to lose me, story-wise. Only ABC HD shows watched here are Grey's and Lost. Both had minor hiccups maybe once each this last week.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1083 of 1770 Old 04-23-2007, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't wait to see it since the morning & midday shows are the last time I see it in SD before 5 PM today when KFSN goes HD with the graphics similar to KABC and the reincorporation of the Circle logo.
post #1084 of 1770 Old 04-24-2007, 01:00 AM

That HD newscast was a bit underwhelming. It was 4:3 and I couldn't really tell if it was HD or just a really clear 480i picture like the other newscasts on other networks on digital. It does look better than their old setup.
post #1085 of 1770 Old 04-24-2007, 07:57 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie826 View Post

That HD newscast was a bit underwhelming. It was 4:3 and I couldn't really tell if it was HD or just a really clear 480i picture like the other newscasts on other networks on digital. It does look better than their old setup.

Were you watching the same thing as me? It was HD the whole time they showed in studio news casters. Speaking of that when did Nancy Osborne (sp) get old? HD and her do not get along. I also thought the head shots were too tight.
post #1086 of 1770 Old 04-24-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

It was nice to see KFSN go the HD route. Guessing the newscasts will get better looking (expect newer, younger and prettier newscasters soon, I'd bet) as time goes on.

My only dissapointment? You'd think they'd start running JEOPARDY! in HD now. Guess not.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1087 of 1770 Old 04-24-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM View Post

Were you watching the same thing as me? It was HD the whole time they showed in studio news casters. Speaking of that when did Nancy Osborne (sp) get old? HD and her do not get along. I also thought the head shots were too tight.

I didn't see Nancy, but Liz Harrison looks pretty good IMO, and she's been doing the news since I was a kid! But yeah, they needed to back out on the zoom for the solo shots....I just wish I could have stayed up late to see Graciela in HD
post #1088 of 1770 Old 04-24-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

It was nice to see KFSN go the HD route. Guessing the newscasts will get better looking (expect newer, younger and prettier newscasters soon, I'd bet) as time goes on.

My only dissapointment? You'd think they'd start running JEOPARDY! in HD now. Guess not.

Got an answer regarding JEOPARDY!/WoF HD on KFSN via email:

Broadcasting Jeopardy and Wheel in HD is planned for the future.
Currently, we can not record from the satellite in HD and playback the
program in HD. We are working on getting the necessary equipment in
house to make this happen. You may check back in a few months and see if
I have any updated information for you. I'm sure we will air teases for
this upcoming event as well.

Thanks for watching ABC30

Charlene Ciavaglia
Programming Manager ABC30

post #1089 of 1770 Old 04-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

when watching smallville or supernatural on CW 59.2 anyone else noticed that it hasn't been 16x9, it's in hd but there still showing it 4:3 format - what causes this? Is there a way to contact them to fix this problem?
post #1090 of 1770 Old 04-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

bump
post #1091 of 1770 Old 04-26-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM View Post

Were you watching the same thing as me? It was HD the whole time they showed in studio news casters.

I guess not. I checked out the 11pm news again yesterday. Sure enough, it was 16:9 and crystal-clear. Looks like they forgot to bump it to 16:9 on Monday night.

Quote:

Speaking of that when did Nancy Osborne (sp) get old? HD and her do not get along. I also thought the head shots were too tight.

Nancy always looks old.

hiwind, I'll check out CW59 tonight to see if it's zoomed in or not.
post #1092 of 1770 Old 04-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

thanks ,not fun trying to watch new episodes that look like SD squished in the middle of your screen!
post #1093 of 1770 Old 04-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

well this sucks, smallville isn't zoomed in on HD so i guess supernatural is gonna look like crap to! WTF....

everyone complain to feedback@CWTV.com
post #1094 of 1770 Old 04-26-2007, 10:11 PM

Yup, it's the station. Both shows were squished with black bars on every side over here as well.
post #1095 of 1770 Old 04-27-2007, 02:08 PM

What is the channel# for ABC HD 30.1, 9.3 ???
post #1096 of 1770 Old 04-27-2007, 03:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo83 View Post

What is the channel# for ABC HD 30.1, 9.3 ???

9.1 is the physical frequency but 30.1 is what it gets mapped to - so as to match their analog frequency (signal is sent by broadcaster). Its the same for most of the other stations too. If you search previous post you should find a listing of all the channels with their physical frequencies.
post #1097 of 1770 Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Thought I'd check with other local watchers here...

Just got around to watching DVR'ed episodes of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, UGLY BETTY and GREY'S ANATOMY from last week. All shows eventually switched to SD on KFSN after HD versions played with weird sound issues. It seemed that the center channel of the 5.1 audio was missing. Music, sound effects and surrounds worked fine, but no center (muffled, barely intelligible dialog). Problem resolved when KFSN switched over to SD/2-channel audio.

All of these were via Comcast, but would imagine that this wasn't a Comcast problem. Anyone else catch these either OTA, D* or Comcast?

Have also noticed HD issues recently with NBC. Picture/sound hiccups that resolve after switching over to SD. Have seen this before on NBC, who usually runs a note on screen that states "Due to technical difficulties,tonight's episode will not be seen in HD". No such notice with the most recent issues, though. I assume this is an NBC problem, not a KSEE/Comcast one.

post #1098 of 1770 Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Clear QAM tuners users:
The mystery colored bar channels on 117 and the extra NBC stations on 118 are all gone. NBC can still be found on 80.2 and 80.3.

CBS is either temporarily down, moved somewhere else, or scrambled.
EDIT : It was back up. Looks like it was temporarily down.

Also, NBA TV is in the clear somewhere on channel 90. My new TV with built-in ATSC/QAM says it's 90.20 while the old set-top tuner says 90.6.

There are a ton of audio-only music stations that my old set-top tuner didn't pick up. I'll document those stations later.

NBC alternating between SD and HD resolutions on HD shows is starting to get annoying.
post #1099 of 1770 Old 05-10-2007, 01:12 PM

Check out channel 88 via clear QAM tuner. Has sub channels 1 through 10 that are Fresno area broadcast channels.
post #1100 of 1770 Old 05-10-2007, 03:57 PM

Nice find! This must have started today.
All are SD but no static like the channels on analog cable.

KFTV Univision
KFSN ABC
KSEE NBC
KFRE CW
KMSG Azteca
KGPE CBS
KVPT PBS
KNSO Telemundo
KAIL MyTV (still all faded and fuzzy even in digital )
KMPH FOX

Also, I found out that if there is no sound, just switch the MTS audio to the 2nd track on the tuner.

-----

Bummer, no more NBA TV and no more music stations.

Comcast clear QAM lineup as of 5/11:

I discovered that different QAM tuners assign different substations for the same channels. I'll just list the clear stations that can be found on the main channel

- KGPE 47.1 - CBS-HD
- KGPE 47.2
- KSEE 24.1 - NBC-HD
- KSEE 24.2

- The Weather Channel "weatherscan" for Comcast

83 through 87
- Random OnDemand programming

88 (all 4:3 SD local channels)
- KFTV 21 - Univision (Spanish)
- KFSN 30 - ABC
- KSEE 24 - NBC
- KFRE 59 - CW
- KMSG 39 - Azteca (Spanish)
- KGPE 47 - CBS
- KVPT 18 - PBS
- KNSO 51 - Telemundo (Spanish)
- KAIL 53 - MyTV
- KMPH 26 - FOX

- KBTV-CA 8 Sacramento (foreign programming)

- KMPH 26.1 - FOX-HD
- KFRE 59.1 - CW-HD

- KFSN 30.1 - ABC-HD
- KFSN 30.2
- KVPT 18.2 - PBS-HD
- KVPT 18.3 - "V me" (Spanish)

Everything else is either info-mercial channels, PPV previews, or scrambled channels.
post #1101 of 1770 Old 05-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone else irked at Valley Public Television for all the Spanish language programming they air on 18.3?

And why in the world do they have all those kids shows in Spanish? How are kids ever going to learn English if all their shows are in Spanish? What is the thinking behind this decision? To make it even easier and more convenient to never learn English? Why would anyone want that?

100% of the programming on 18.3 is in Spanish, including some pretty interesting stuff that I would like to watch but can't follow because I don't speak Spanish. If KVPT are going to do this, why don't they AT LEAST have captions in English?

Oh wait, I did see one show on 18.3 that was in English, it was KVPT's Great TV Auction. I guess they assumed no Spanish speaking person would ever donate any money to the station, so they decided to broadcast in that particular show in English.

Finally, the "V Me" network that is rebroadcast on 18.3 is available for free on Dish Network, so even if I wanted to watch that network I could easily do so elsewhere. I hope KVPT will re-think their decision to use 18.3 exclusively for Spanish programming, of which there is clearly no shortage of these days.
post #1102 of 1770 Old 05-16-2007, 01:22 PM

Seems like it would be easier to just change the channel than get all worked up over PBS en Espanol

Saludos, John
post #1103 of 1770 Old 05-16-2007, 05:01 PM

I just got a notice in the mail from Comcast about some changes in the channel lineup on or after this Tuesday, May 22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comcast mailer View Post

High Definition Channel Adds
Channel Name - Channel # - Service Level
A & E HD - 918 - HDTV
NAT GEO HD - 915 - HDTV

Channel Repositioning
Channel Name - Current Channel -> New Channel
Court TV - 65 -> 50
ION - 95 -> 79
QVC - 76 -> 70

Channel Repositioning and Service Level Change
Channel - Current Channel # - Current Service Level -> NEW Channel # - NEW Service Level
AZN TV* - 98 - Limited Basic -> 240 - Digital Classic
TBN* - 70 - Limited Basic -> 230 - Digital Classic
GSN* - 50 - Standard Cable -> 161 - Starter Tier

*A Digital receiver will now be required to receive these channels.

THe reason for these channel relocations is to maintain consistency with our local area lineups.

Yay to no more TBN taking up space in the Standard lineup, but boo to losing Game Show Network to Digital.

That also means Standard channels 65, 76, 95, and 98 will have nothing. Perhaps more digital content will go into those available channels?
post #1104 of 1770 Old 05-16-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by au revoir View Post

Anyone else irked at Valley Public Television for all the Spanish language programming they air on 18.3?

And why in the world do they have all those kids shows in Spanish? How are kids ever going to learn English if all their shows are in Spanish? What is the thinking behind this decision? To make it even easier and more convenient to never learn English? Why would anyone want that?

100% of the programming on 18.3 is in Spanish, including some pretty interesting stuff that I would like to watch but can't follow because I don't speak Spanish. If KVPT are going to do this, why don't they AT LEAST have captions in English?

Oh wait, I did see one show on 18.3 that was in English, it was KVPT's Great TV Auction. I guess they assumed no Spanish speaking person would ever donate any money to the station, so they decided to broadcast in that particular show in English.

Finally, the "V Me" network that is rebroadcast on 18.3 is available for free on Dish Network, so even if I wanted to watch that network I could easily do so elsewhere. I hope KVPT will re-think their decision to use 18.3 exclusively for Spanish programming, of which there is clearly no shortage of these days.

A couple of points: Spanish-speakers make up a large part of the Central Valley, so KVPT is going after the market share and providing educational programming to Spanish speakers while trying to gain viewership (donations).

Secondly -- Current literacy research indicates that those who are proficient in their native languages first become fluent in their second language much quicker and have high comprehension/fluency rates for their lives. The native language provides a framework for the new language to flow on top of and acts as a scaffold to the acquisition of new language.
post #1105 of 1770 Old 05-16-2007, 08:48 PM

The CW is still broadcasting its HD lineup in 4:3 and it doesn't seem to be a true HD feed. Anyone know what's up? Or, is Pappas being a tightwad again?
post #1106 of 1770 Old 05-17-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Vandal View Post

The CW is still broadcasting its HD lineup in 4:3 and it doesn't seem to be a true HD feed. Anyone know what's up? Or, is Pappas being a tightwad again?

Although I'm not a regular watcher of CW programming, I have surfed past ch 905 during primetime hours and have seen CW programming in HD/16x9. I remember this because the CW ID bug is so far over from the right side---much more than any other network ID.

However, not being a regular viewer, I can't say this with all certainty. But perhaps there have been tech difficulties either of KFRE's end or the CW's.

I know there was about a week or so recently where NBC HD stuff was freaking out a lot. Most times, the shows would eventually switch to SD and an NBC disclaimer will come up saying "Due to technical difficulties......not available in HD". Was an issue at NBC's end--not KSEE's. Could be the case here, as well.

Might want to contact KFRE tech dept and ask. I've called the tech depts. of KFSN and KSEE in the past and they have always been pretty helpful with answering questions regading HD issues.

post #1107 of 1770 Old 05-17-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by testhomer View Post

Check out channel 88 via clear QAM tuner. Has sub channels 1 through 10 that are Fresno area broadcast channels.

Are these the digital SD signals?

Have the "analog" locals been swapped to digital for cable box users?

post #1108 of 1770 Old 05-17-2007, 05:48 PM

No, they are still tuning to analog channels on the box.
post #1109 of 1770 Old 05-18-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by testhomer View Post

No, they are still tuning to analog channels on the box.

testhomer, do you know when the Comcast ADS (analong/digital simulcast) is going to happen here?

I've read that some markets already have already begun this.

post #1110 of 1770 Old 05-19-2007, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Hey all. Sorry if this was posted already, but I just got my Comcast bill and eureka! New HD channels are coming 5/22!

Nat Geo: 915
A&E: 918

Very nice...now if only they were unencrypted so that my MCE can record them

Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page