Fresno, CA - HDTV - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1763 Old 08-15-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Haven't watched 47's news in some time (usually watch Ch 30--just for the HD), but now I may check it out to see if I see the "ice cube" look.

As far as the KSEE weirdness, all of this seemed to pop up around the time that they revamped their equipment to send 5.1 audio on 24.1/Comcast 904. I'll take the SD video sitting low enough to see the digital code/noise (only ever really watch HD stuff on NBC, which appears fine) over the picture freezeups/audio drop outs that were hapening before.

When I spoke with a KSEE engineer a couple of weeks back, he stated they were still working the bugs out of their new system. Guessing that's still the case.

The "static line"....I've seen that in the past as well. Usually back when I'd tape something off an HD channel (pre-DVR), and sometimes was visible when activating the on screen Comcast guide while tuned to an HD local that was running SD/4:3 video.

As far as 47's "cool" look to the local news that au revoir mentioned, perhaps they too are gearing up for an HD switchover and hammering out video bugs. And hey...it's summer. If their news makes you feel 10 degrees cooler, consider it a bonus!

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1763 Old 08-15-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd like to shoot a general question to any other Visalia residents on this thread.

Do any of you get local HD via OTA (sure some do)? If so, where in town are you located - no worries, I won't stalk you .

I live between the Beverly Glen and Green Acres/Country Club areas. My house is surrounded on all sides by very large trees. When I was having to get local HD via OTA during my brief stint as a VOOM subscriber, the rooftop anntenna that VOOM supplied me with (Winegard--don't recall the model) was failrly useless. Local digital OTA was intermittent at best. KSEE 24 didn't even show up on channel scan until I went on the roof myself and moved the antenna around. KMPH, no matter what, had pixelization due to low signal. All other major locals were also plagued by signal issues. Basically, if the weather was anything less than clear and wind-free, OTA was pretty useless.

Sat signals (both VOOM and previously E*) were never affected by weather/trees.

I've been w/ Comcast since '03. Mainly due to the fact that local HD (which makes up the majority of stuff watched during the regular TV season) doesn't require an antenna. Since then, of course, OnDemand has become a near-necessity in my home--esp for the kids.

Now, I see that E* has launched even more HD channels (the Discovery pack, basically). That, coupled with the old VOOM channels, is quite a lineup. Plus, they appear to have some OnDemand content now. Not Comcast amounts, but I'd bet that'll happen soon. The one holdup w/ E* is the lack of HD locals over sat.

D* does offer them, but I refuse to pay them $200 to LEASE the HD-DVR (no extra upfront cost for that from E* or Comcast), so they are not in the running with me. I know I could just wait for Comcast to pick up the extra HD stuff (except VOOM), but the E* lineup and free HDDVR is a sweet deal. If I were to change now, are there any OTA antennas that will give me as solid a reception as cable does with all these trees around me? And will they require a flashing light to warn off ow flying aircraft ? And will they be pricey (which is the top concern for obvious reasons, not tomention E* will be carrying Fresno HD locals via sat in the hopefully near future)?

Anyone?

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1173 of 1763 Old 08-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Jwebb1970,
I live in Exeter and have a Channelmaster vhf/uhf Quantum with a pre-amp and rotator. I receive all the Fresno channels and all the Bakersfield channels. I have no problems with any of them. The Quantum line has been discontinued and replaced with the Crossfire series.

Thomas DiCecco
post #1174 of 1763 Old 08-15-2007, 08:00 PM

Liked: 10
I'm in southern Visalia near Caldwell Ave. I had a small indoor antenna (some Philips amped "HD" antenna) on top of a TV and I couldn't get anything OTA clearly. I guess it's due to too many tall trees in my neighborhood.
post #1175 of 1763 Old 08-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Those indoor antennas only work if you are a few miles from the transmitters.

In Hanford I tried one and got maybe 2 stations that both froze up every few seconds. But with a $60 Radio Shack UHF/VHF roof antenna I get 18-20 digital channels from Fresno and Visalia, all perfect, and with no rotor. If I got a rotor I know I could get the Bakersfield stations too, but I already pick them up in analog, and have not seen any programming from Bakersfield that would justify the expense.

I have some really tall trees around too, but through a lot of experimenting, must have found a good enough gap in them. I think as long as you are a decent distance from them, the signals seem to find a way around the obstruction.
post #1176 of 1763 Old 08-16-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, guys. The wife may not want an antenna on the roof , but nice to know there are options if need be.

On another Fresno HDTV note, I watched KSEE's news broadcast yesterday evening. Looks like they fixed the "squished"/not vertically centered issues. SD Pic looked fine. There was a bit of a sound issue though. Not major, just a delay/lip synch issue. Those seem to be semi-common on several stations, esp cable/sat ones like TNT.

post #1177 of 1763 Old 08-16-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

jwebb, I live in So. Visalia at Court and Caldwell area. $ 60 Rad Shack outdoor antenna placed inside 2nd floor attic. That is how I've been getting OTA signals. I don't have a need for cable or satellite BTW. Antenna is pointing towards Fresno mountains.
post #1178 of 1763 Old 08-16-2007, 05:01 PM

Anyone have Dish and OTA HD channels in northwest Fresno? I'm at 93722 zip.

I know I can check antennaweb.org, but I want to see if anyone has good reception in the same area.

I'm trying to switch from comcast to Dish, but can't switch until I know there is an HD local channels (which Dish does not have).
post #1179 of 1763 Old 08-17-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapa55 View Post

Anyone have Dish and OTA HD channels in northwest Fresno? I'm at 93722 zip.

I know I can check antennaweb.org, but I want to see if anyone has good reception in the same area.

I'm trying to switch from comcast to Dish, but can't switch until I know there is an HD local channels (which Dish does not have).

I get them all with an outdoor antenna pointed just slightly North of true East.
post #1180 of 1763 Old 08-17-2007, 08:26 AM

This is a question for Thomas DiCecco.

Tom, I'm contemplating options with my antennas. Would I be correct thinking you use two bearings, one for the Fresno stations and another for the Bakersfield stations? I've been using a two-antenna approach, but neither the 4-bay bow tie (looking south) nor the R/S U-120 yagi (looking north) is all that directional. Now that I need VHF capability, it's time to reconsider: two antennas switched or one antenna rotated.The big Channel Master is on order.

BTW, I live up next to the south side of Venice Hills and snagging the Fresno channels is a bit challenging (but tuners do seem to have improved over time ).

Jed

-= Jed =-
post #1181 of 1763 Old 08-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

I turn the antenna almost 180 degrees from my Fresno setting to the Bakersfield setting.I saw on the final channel location in 2009 that ABC Fresno is going back to channel 30 for digital but KAIL is staying on channel 7 and ABC Bakersfield is staying on channel 10.So a vhf antenna will still be needed after the 2009 deadline.

Thomas DiCecco
post #1182 of 1763 Old 08-19-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie826 View Post

Also, has anyone else experienced digital glitchs on standard cable? I saw it happen on USA, Game Show Network, SciFi, and ESPN. I've also noticed some digital compression artifacts in very fast movements on the screen. All TVs are directly connected to the cable line and we have no cable boxes.

I've been seeing this as well for a couple weeks. Happens probably 5 times an hour or so for maybe 1 second. I've noticed it on Spike, Discovery, and SciFi.

I used to get it occasionally when I had Dish, but I don't recall ever seeing it like this on analog cable.
post #1183 of 1763 Old 08-20-2007, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, has anyone else experienced digital glitchs on standard cable? I saw it happen on USA, Game Show Network, SciFi, and ESPN. I've also noticed some digital compression artifacts in very fast movements on the screen. All TVs are directly connected to the cable line and we have no cable boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Valiant View Post

I've been seeing this as well for a couple weeks. Happens probably 5 times an hour or so for maybe 1 second. I've noticed it on Spike, Discovery, and SciFi.

I used to get it occasionally when I had Dish, but I don't recall ever seeing it like this on analog cable.

Maybe some testing/tweaking of the upcoming ADS (analog/digital simulcast)?

I know that Comcast was supposed to have this happen in the Fresno market @ the end of this year (at least what a Comcast tech told me a while back). Their phone/online CSRs don't have an answer for such things - you have to call the local office or find a roaming service tech to get answers to local issues.

post #1184 of 1763 Old 08-20-2007, 12:50 PM

From where I am located off of 11th Ave and Grangeville Blvd in Hanford, the stations in Fresno and Bakersfield seem to come in about OK but when I added the Winegard antenna, the booster signal not only picks up from Fresno and Bakersfield, but on a clear day, I can get KSBY-TV in San Luis Obispo. However, I only watch ABC 30 and CBS 47 when it comes to news. KMPH I also watch too. KSEE's news as I said and mentioned many times (No Offense) has gone to a tabloid approach to reporting the news and thus most if not all of the anchors and reporters look real sleazy if you ask me. Especially Rich and Stefani. They are so like Bill Balleza and Dominique Sachse of Fresno.
post #1185 of 1763 Old 08-20-2007, 02:01 PM

Anybody have experienced with this RadioShack antenna?

Name: 80" Boom Length, 32-Element Antenna
Model: VU-90 XR
Catalog #: 15-2152

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Trying to get all local HD OTA since I switched from Comcast to Dish.
post #1186 of 1763 Old 08-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A. View Post

That's the one I use in Hanford, works perfect for picking up a mix of UHF and VHF stations. I do notice some breakup on really windy days, but I don't think that's the antenna's fault. You could pay much more, but I don't think you'll get anything that will work any better since this one already works perfect.

Has paid for itself many times over compared to satellite or cable.

Get a mast, a balun, and some good shielded coax and you're all set.
post #1187 of 1763 Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by au revoir View Post

Cool! I just noticed.

*waits patiently to see Rich and Steph in high def, on KSEE 24*

No, I don't like the way they present the news over there. It looks like the National Enquirer.
post #1188 of 1763 Old 08-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer2635 View Post

No, I don't like the way they present the news over there. It looks like the National Enquirer.

I was being sarcastic.

However, out of fairness, I should mention that when my brother was visiting on Monday, I turned on the 4 o'clock news w/Alex Delgado. I kept warning him about what a steaming pile that newscast usually is, apologizing profusely.

However, it was not bad that day, and he was very interested in several of the local stories, none of which had anything at all to do with either Paris Hilton, Britney Spears or Donald Trump. So they can surprise you and do a decent broadcast every now and then, though it's probably mostly by accident.
post #1189 of 1763 Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 PM

I have Directv and on the HD local feed of KMPH Fox 26, I've noticed that there are bad audio sync problems with their HD programs. It has been this way for the last few days. However, if I switch over to the OTA HD feed through my HR20 receiver, the OTA feed has no audio sync problems at all.

Is there anyone with Directv that has noticed the same problem with KMPH's HD feed? How about the HD feed on Comcast - any audio sync issues with KMPH's HD programming?
post #1190 of 1763 Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I was being sarcastic.

However, out of fairness, I should mention that when my brother was visiting on Monday, I turned on the 4 o'clock news w/Alex Delgado. I kept warning him about what a steaming pile that newscast usually is, apologizing profusely.

However, it was not bad that day, and he was very interested in several of the local stories, none of which had anything at all to do with either Paris Hilton, Britney Spears or Donald Trump. So they can surprise you and do a decent broadcast every now and then, though it's probably mostly by accident.

I see. well, I should popint out that their ratings have somewhat suffered because of their new tabloid approach to covering the news especially that most of their staff resemble Houston's KPRC Channel 2 in which is in last place in all timeslots. Rich and Stefani are the Bill Balleza and Dominique Sachse of Fresno because that is why they are the butt of many jokes. So I don't watch their news at all.
post #1191 of 1763 Old 08-23-2007, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xarxa View Post

I have Directv and on the HD local feed of KMPH Fox 26, I've noticed that there are bad audio sync problems with their HD programs. It has been this way for the last few days. However, if I switch over to the OTA HD feed through my HR20 receiver, the OTA feed has no audio sync problems at all.

Is there anyone with Directv that has noticed the same problem with KMPH's HD feed? How about the HD feed on Comcast - any audio sync issues with KMPH's HD programming?

I have experienced your problem too. I haven't the had energy to call Directv.
post #1192 of 1763 Old 08-23-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer2635 View Post

I see. well, I should popint out that their ratings have somewhat suffered because of their new tabloid approach to covering the news especially that most of their staff resemble Houston's KPRC Channel 2 in which is in last place in all timeslots. Rich and Stefani are the Bill Balleza and Dominique Sachse of Fresno because that is why they are the butt of many jokes. So I don't watch their news at all.

Don't forget the sports guy that crams puns in every sentence.
post #1193 of 1763 Old 08-24-2007, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't forget the sports guy that crams puns in every sentence.

Pun cramming? Whatever turns him on, I guess.

Switching gears, where is Jeopardy in HD? I know they are playing reruns this week, but I'm really hoping that next week or whenever they come back, that the show will finally be in HD.

I wonder if Rich, Steph, Alex, or any of the people from behind the scenes from the local stations read this message board. If so, what we say here could have a lot of influence, since after all, it was someone from message board who got us Jeopardy in HD (crosses fingers).
post #1194 of 1763 Old 08-24-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pun cramming? Whatever turns him on, I guess.

Switching gears, where is Jeopardy in HD? I know they are playing reruns this week, but I'm really hoping that next week or whenever they come back, that the show will finally be in HD.

I wonder if Rich, Steph, Alex, or any of the people from behind the scenes from the local stations read this message board. If so, what we say here could have a lot of influence, since after all, it was someone from message board who got us Jeopardy in HD (crosses fingers).

When I spoke via email with a KFSN engineer a while back, I was told that KFSN didn't have the proper machine to tape the HD Jeopardy/WoF sat feed for later broadcast. But this was before the big HD switchover at the station.

Would imagine this HD recorder is now in stock there, since the same engineer told me that they expected to get it during the HD makeover process. Waiting to see if HD happens when the show returns for the new season (next coupe of weeks, I believe).

Although I doubt the newscasters visit these forums, I'm sure most station engineering folk do.

post #1195 of 1763 Old 08-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Well the excitement never stops over at KSEE 24.1. I tuned in the 6:00pm news and heard Rich's voice booming like he was God in the movie "The Ten Commandments". I guess their sound is screwed up again. I just hope their engineer hasn't gone home for the weekend, or I may be avoiding that station for the next couple of days.

Jeopardy in HD? Well, I'll believe it when I see it. And I'm still waiting.
post #1196 of 1763 Old 08-25-2007, 01:14 PM

CHARLENE I'V BEEN TRYING TO FIND YOUR E-MAIL IF YOU GET THIS PLEASE E-MAIL -MARKEZINIS43@AOL.COM THANK YOU RENEE, CARUTHERS, CA.
post #1197 of 1763 Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, AOL is still in business? Amazing.

Anyone else getting the weird echo-ing sound on KSEE 24.1 during certain programs?
post #1198 of 1763 Old 08-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Anyone else getting the weird echo-ing sound on KSEE 24.1 during certain programs?

Yes, I got it on Saturday when I was taping an episode of The Big Spin, the pixelization and some echoing in the background. However, the episode of Big Spin ended up with a $1,000,000 win!!
post #1199 of 1763 Old 08-31-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A. View Post

OK...I'm back with more OTA and/or E* questions for you Visalia/Exeter folk.

Checked out the above quoted RS antenna as well as one of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zSQi88J....asp?i=6593020

(although I have found it for $30-35 less than Crutchfield elsewhere).

My question for OTA is this. Even with a proper antenna (for my area, it seems large multidirectional is the way to go) getting normally solid signals, what happens during major winter weather (heavy rain, wind). Since the vast majority of HD watching during the normal TV season is network primetime--and all of it DVR'ed and watched later--weather-induced signal losses will NOT BE TOLERATED!

Unless there is an issue at the broadcast source, even the heaviest rain/wind does nothing to the Comcast HD local signals. So, this is a big issue should I decide to switch to E* before they carry our Fresno HD locals over sat. And we all know that weather effects on digital TV signals are far less forgiving than the old snowy analog.

As a kid growing up in Exeter, I remember someof the Bakersfield stations actually coming in better than their Fresno counterparts. Still the case for some?

Also, I'd love to hear opinions/anecdotes regarding E*'s "on demand" programming. I know it's nowhere near the levels of Comcast's vast library. OnDemand is a major thing in my house, esp for the 4 yr old and her fave kids programming. But with E*'s much higher capacity HDDVR, I can just record a dozen or so DORA THE EXPLORER eps, for example, and leave 'em on the much roomier HHD the E* box gives me.

Anyone?

post #1200 of 1763 Old 08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

My experience with weather-induced signal breakups is that it has to be a very windy day, like above 25mph. There also has to be a lot of leaves on the trees. My theory is that the OTA signal reflects off leaves, and when the wind causes them to move around a lot the signal gets dispersed and this causes breakups and pixelization. You don't usually have the station totally drop off unless there is a problem with their transmitter.

How well your receiver tolerates this dispersal varies quite a bit among brands and how old it is (newer=better). This along with the the amount of leaves the signal has to travel through determines the amount of break up you'll get. I think how good your antenna is (how much gain) can have an effect also.

Rain does not hurt my OTA signals, on the contrary, it often improves them.

So bottom line, there are tons of variables, so about all you can do is buy good equipment, save your receipts, cross your fingers, and say a prayer.

As always, your mileage may vary.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page