Fresno, CA - HDTV - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 1764 Old 05-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am receiving 30 fine in Exeter. I just watched the Indy Car race.

Thomas DiCecco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1764 Old 05-31-2009, 04:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadMazter View Post

...CBS 47 had problems a couple years back with it until I got an engineer to fix their MUX.

What were the exact problems? Last year, I had an HDTV that wouldn't show the video portion of 47, just audio. I thought it was the TV's fault and returned it.
post #1563 of 1764 Old 05-31-2009, 06:53 PM

ToadMazter, I’ve seen tuners on TV and converter boxes ‘forget’ channels. Tuning to the real, not virtual, channel reminded the tuner and cured things. I suppose a rescan would, too. I imagine ABC 30 is still using real channel 9 so maybe tuning that might do some good.

-= Jed =-
post #1564 of 1764 Old 05-31-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCecco View Post

I am receiving 30 fine in Exeter. I just watched the Indy Car race.

Thanks for the reply. Saves me from patching a coax to one of my TV's to test... call me lazy!

I'll call the station tomorrow and speak to one of their engineers. Its likely that a change was made to their transmission equipment in preparation for the final cutover. Media Center is notorious for not tuning ATSC like most receivers do, so I'll continue troubleshooting. When it works it is FANTASTIC.... good thing this happened after the season finale of Lost .
post #1565 of 1764 Old 06-04-2009, 12:21 AM

A DTV commercial on KMPH stated that KMPH and KFRE will turn off their analog signals on Friday, June 12 at 9:02am. It sounds like they're doing something special in the morning before the switch.

KSEE is shutting off their analog signal at 7:00am on June 12.

KFSN is shutting off their analog signal and switching the digital signal to 30 at 12 noon on June 12.

It's a bit odd that everyone is turning digital at different times.

edit 6/5 : looks like KSEE's digital broadcast tower was down again. Their HQ was down as well, but the analog signal is still up.
edit 4:30 : it's all back up.

another edit:

KNSO Telemundo analog 51 is going to be a "nightlight station" and stay on until June 26.

Spanish stations KFTV and KTFF will shut off their analog signals at 11:59pm, the absolute latest time an analog station can be up.

KGPE 47 is shutting off their analog channel at 11:59pm as well.
post #1566 of 1764 Old 06-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question for all Directv users. For the last week I've had problems with HD channels 218, 306, and 311. They video and audio freezes with heavy macroblocking on and off. It is basically unwatchable. I get the message on screen that says "searching for satellite signal". All other HD channels work fine.

Directv customer service wasn't any help. They want to send out a tech($49 fee) to look into the problem.

Any one experiencing the same issues?
post #1567 of 1764 Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 PM

I have downloaded the HDTV maps for Fresno & Bakersfield. (We do get some Bakersfield analog stations, but no HD yet.) They are quite hard to figure out, mostly due to lack of details.
We live N/E of Reedley, below Hwy 180, in a sorta straight line between Sanger & Orange Cove.

We can get HD for most Fresno stations, but nothing for KSEE24. They have not answered as to wheather or not they are bradcasting in HD yet.

Can anyone expalin things???
post #1568 of 1764 Old 06-10-2009, 08:24 PM

Hi, traderjim. KSEE24 is indeed broadcasting in HD and you may be able to pick up digital from Bakersfield. If you can nail the KVPT signal I’d think you should be able to nail the KSEE signal. Maybe a re-scan or try tuning to 38, KSEE’s real channel.

-= Jed =-
post #1569 of 1764 Old 06-10-2009, 09:40 PM

It also apprears that KSEE24 will be using another tower location, go figure. We can eaily get KVPT 18 & movied the antena to no avail this evening. May have to get another antena or invest in a rotator, this is crazy.

On either map it looks like we are in the no signal area. Will try the 38 route.

Jim
post #1570 of 1764 Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 PM

Oh, that’s right. KSEE moved up north with channels 30 and 47. Gotta go update Google Earth. Still, if you get them 24 shouldn’t be a problem.

-= Jed =-
post #1571 of 1764 Old 06-11-2009, 07:01 AM

OK,did a 180 on the antenna - still nothing! Would coax from the antenna down help? Don't think much if any. Signal amplifieres only amplify the background noise so it can bee seen on the screen. Tried that avenue with my MIL's change over.

We live for KSEE24/ NBC, can't stand that greek idiot on KMPH26 that thinks the sun rises and sets in him. FOX network should be shut down for lack of decency.

Jim
post #1572 of 1764 Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Coax or twinlead; a well installed twinlead setup (twisted line, stand-offs, etc) ought to be fine, although I use coax here. A quality amp installed at the antenna can make a big difference when fishing for a marginal signal on a long cable run, but locating the antenna in a better location, especially higher, is the route I’d try first. What are you using for an antenna?

Just to confirm: you get digital OK from KGPE (which is transmitting on UHF) and KFSN (on channel 9 right now) OK.

-= Jed =-
post #1573 of 1764 Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 PM

How funny. I have a similar problem. Almost all major digital channels come in fine except for KFSN and KSEE. I'm in Visalia using a 2-bay UHF antenna stuck in the top shelf of my closet, about 8 feet high. The antenna is pointing north-northwest and at a small angle upward.

KFSN digital is VHF until Friday afternoon so I'll wait until then.

I also can't get KSEE digital perfect. The TV says that the SNR swings wildly between 17 to 23 dB with breakups all over the place, while the other channels come in at a steady 25 dB and up with little to no hiccups. I have no idea what numbers I'm suppose to get here.

Also, I seem to get better reception of KSEE digital if the antenna is laying down on my bed or on the floor.

I don't know if a 4-bay UHF antenna will solve this problem. Any help?

added:
as of 2am, no Bakersfield or Fresno analog stations have gone off the air yet.
post #1574 of 1764 Old 06-12-2009, 06:01 AM

NO! We never have had good luck getting KGPE 47 or KFSN 30, always went to Bakersfield for them. We are behind Mt. Campell, but not real close, so figure that is why the signal is weak.

I called KSEE24 yesterday while at work and they gave me some numbers to call for help. If nothing is beter tonight, I'll put in a call.
post #1575 of 1764 Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 AM

Jim. I would definitely suggest plugging your location into TV Fool’s Signal Locator (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29). It’s beginning to sound like you’re in a shadow. You may need to take some extreme measures to grab a signal. Stokes Mtn and Venice Hill both shadow us but we’ve managed to pick up a usable signal.

Louie, that fluctuating signal level you describe is something I’ve been told is associated with multi-path, where the tuner has problems locking onto one stream. Generally, a more directional antenna would be indicated, but fiddling more with antenna location may pay off.

-= Jed =-
post #1576 of 1764 Old 06-12-2009, 12:34 PM

Yay, I can finally watch ABC HD!

KSEE analog simply switched to a looping informercial about setting up a converter box.

KMPH and KFRE has a screen saying the analog signal has been shut off. Before the switch, the morning crew pressed a fake button causing a clip of a nuclear explosion to appear , then got serious and showed the technicians flipping the real switch on the equipment to turn off programming on the analog signal.

KFSN immediately turned off the analog signal after their special newscast. Just as they said, digital 30.1 appeared about 5 minutes later after a channel scan.

KAIL analog 53 looks to be gone as of now. I can barely receive it, but it looks like they just have a static image saying that the analog signal is now gone and to move to 7.1 .

Looks like everyone else except KNSO is turning off their analog signal at 11:59pm.

Quote:

Louie, that fluctuating signal level you describe is something I’ve been told is associated with multi-path, where the tuner has problems locking onto one stream. Generally, a more directional antenna would be indicated, but fiddling more with antenna location may pay off.

I'll keep messing with it. I think I may have to stick it into the attic.
Could that multi-path problem be caused by all of the tall palm and cedar trees around my house?
post #1577 of 1764 Old 06-12-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie826 View Post

Yay, I can finally watch ABC HD!

Yeah, I'm getting KFSN as well. They were using the VHF frequency for their digital signal before the switch. I believe it was channel 9. That's why I wasn't getting the station before the switch. I guess they finally switched their digital signal over to their UHF frequency, channel 30.
post #1578 of 1764 Old 06-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderjim View Post

NO! We never have had good luck getting KGPE 47 or KFSN 30, always went to Bakersfield for them. We are behind Mt. Campell, but not real close, so figure that is why the signal is weak.

I called KSEE24 yesterday while at work and they gave me some numbers to call for help. If nothing is beter tonight, I'll put in a call.

Adding onto what cocobeli said,
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90
This site will show you the coverage maps and signal quality of all of the channels' towers around your area.

If you live about 2 miles east of the Kings River, Jesse Morrow Mountain and Campbell Mountain are blocking much of the signal from the broadcast towers up north. The only stations that aren't blocked or weakened by those mountains are KVPT, KMPH, KTFF, KNXT, and the Bakersfield channels.

Coverage map of KSEE near Reedley Most of the other Fresno stations have similar coverage.

Time to get some dynamite and blow up some mountains.
post #1579 of 1764 Old 06-12-2009, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the info guys, it helps to clear up things. Still no Bakersfield stations or additional Fresno ones. Soooo looks like we will go antena shopping.

KSEE 24 should be hung out to dry for not telling us that some areas would have problems due to their digital transmiitter location change. They kept on saying everything would be the same only better. In fact, none of the stations said squat about the digital signal being weaker. We have had the converter box for several months and had no idea there would be problems, or I'd have hooked it up earlier to work out the kinks.

FYI: I can see no improvement on the screen over analog. We have a newer flat screen that was "Digitlal ready", so figure the picture was already enhansed. However my MIL's old TV showed a big change on digital.
post #1580 of 1764 Old 06-12-2009, 08:51 PM

I've contemplated the dynamite route myself. It might even be a no-lose proposition. If I don't get caught, I get better reception; if I do get caught, well, I hear they got cable in prison. On second thought never mind.

We saw a huge improvement in the image when we went all digital, but our analog reception was not so great. I do think the improvement is easier to see as screen size increases.

-= Jed =-
post #1581 of 1764 Old 06-13-2009, 02:01 AM

I see a big difference in quality of standard-definition shows in digital compared to analog. Except for KMPH, every channel had some snow or static in analog, and now, as long as the signal isn't weak, they are clear, though not as pretty as the HD shows.

-----

Spanish station KFTV had a contest winner literally pull the plug from their station and the analog station immediately went off the air. That was kind of clever of them to do that. KTFF analog is also gone, but their LP station on 41 is still going. KMPH and KFRE analog stations are gone, as are KGPE and KNXT.

The only analog stations left in my area are KTFF-LP on 41, the Cocola crap low-power stations scattered all over, and KNSO and KSEE which both seem to be in "nightlight" mode, playing nonstop informercials about setting up a converter box until who knows when.

There are also two mysterious digital channels with no audio or video sharing the same space as KVPT : 40.8 and 40.9 . What are they suppose to be?
post #1582 of 1764 Old 06-13-2009, 07:43 AM

Rather think it would take a keg or two to do Mt Campbel, but then just where is the right spot? Oh yes, and just who is going to lug them up the slope?

On a serious note: Going to try the amplifier route again, just have to get more cable. But rather think we will have to get a Hi gain antena.

Here we sit broken hearted with not a network in sight. We do enjoiy PBS, but they don't have much in the morning to offer. (Fox does not count as a network, due to the junk they call programing.)

Jim
post #1583 of 1764 Old 06-13-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie826 View Post

There are also two mysterious digital channels with no audio or video sharing the same space as KVPT : 40.8 and 40.9 . What are they suppose to be?

Nothing. They're artifacts of the UpdateTV service. Ignore them.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1584 of 1764 Old 06-14-2009, 12:58 AM

Artifacts? So we don't have the update service here?

Visalia people : how well can you pick up digital KNSO and KAIL with regular rabbit ears? Also, is KNSO still on 5 or did they move already to 11?

I helped someone with their converter box and I was shocked to discover that digital KAIL came in clear with just rabbit ears. KNSO on 5 was too weak to get anything and I forgot to check 11.
post #1585 of 1764 Old 06-14-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Yes, you have the UpdateTV service. What I'm mean by "artifacts" is that they're things you're not supposed to be seeing. It does confirm the presence of UpdateTV to me, though.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1586 of 1764 Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I rescanned all my channels last night. 30 came in fine in the scan but is still out when I selected it with my 722k receiver. Although I get the 52XX equivalent HD channel for KFSN just fine.
Which tells me it is still a Dish problem or I am trying to scan in the wrong channel since the 'transition'.
Since I got the 'k' receiver, with dual OTA input, I did not bother scanning channels into my display. So I have not checked that out but it should work based on what I found so far.
post #1587 of 1764 Old 06-14-2009, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

OK..got it! It's channel 30.0 not 30.1 anymore. I noticed on the Dish programming menu, all the local HDs show up on both whole numbers "0.0" as well as "X.1".
Except for KFSN which gives me nothing but a blank screen on 30.1, so 30.0 it is!
post #1588 of 1764 Old 06-14-2009, 06:52 PM

Radio Shack advertised a UHF Hi-Gain antenna for about $40. But the only store in the area that carried it was out & said it was being discontinued. The one they offered for $80 looked like the one we use now.

Looked at Best Buy, theirs was $90 for a nice one & balked at payiing that much just yet.

I found two mast extension poles that will raise things up another 8', which should be well above the peak of the roof. When things are down, I'll change over the lead to 75 ohm cable w/the transformer & see how things look from there.
post #1589 of 1764 Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 AM

Jim, FWIW, I popped for the big Channel Master CM-3671, amped, on a 60 foot tower to overcome the hills north of us. Maybe it's overkill, but it's served us well. What it also is is big, ungainly (physically, not in the RF sense ) and pricey. I did manage to DX KSBY analog once, though. Now that only KAIL is left on VHF, I might do things differently. I do have a rotor on the CM that sees occasional use since reception seems to change at times owing to weather or vegetation or something, but I keep a separate fixed antenna for Bakersfield.

Good fishing to you!

-= Jed =-
post #1590 of 1764 Old 06-15-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderjim View Post

Radio Shack advertised a UHF Hi-Gain antenna for about $40. But the only store in the area that carried it was out & said it was being discontinued. The one they offered for $80 looked like the one we use now.

Looked at Best Buy, theirs was $90 for a nice one & balked at payiing that much just yet.

I found two mast extension poles that will raise things up another 8', which should be well above the peak of the roof. When things are down, I'll change over the lead to 75 ohm cable w/the transformer & see how things look from there.

I placed a Silver Sensor under my eaves (1 story) aimed east..get everything!
In east Clovis, so likely have less obstructions than some valley locations.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page