AVS Forum banner

Fresno, CA - HDTV

207K views 2K replies 166 participants last post by  vince48 
#1 ·
Use this thread to post updates on the status of HDTV in Fresno, CA. There are several other threads with bits and pieces of Fresno information but I think we need one go-to thread that people can post to with information as it becomes available. Right now on Comcast we have:

184 - local ABC affiliate

185- supposed to be NBC but is offline until ?

also have inHD1 and 2

HD-HBO

HD-Showtime

HD-ESPN

Specifically I would be interested in any information on when NBC, PBS, or Discovery HD will come online here. I am also interested in when CBS will happen but apparently that is the least likely due to contract disputes. Anybody?

#1,480 ·
If you've missed it:

KSEE, KFRE, KMPH, and I think KGPE joined in on the 5-minute analog blackout. KSEE is doing a DTV info special while the rest is back to normal.

Their analog cable and digital SD channels had the "You're not ready!" warning screens. Only KFSN said not to worry if the user had cable or satellite. The digital HD channels either had a ticker or a screen saying "You're ready for DTV".

#1,485 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeydog /forum/post/13033778

What do you mean by minimalized?

Leave the HD output at 1080i. You do not have to change this at all.

If you want your SD channels to fill the screen you have to go into the menu and fool around with 4:3 Override.

The options are:

1) Off---This will keep the SD channels in 4:3 format. Options 2,3, and 4 will fill the screen. Experiment to see what you like best.

2) 480i

3) 480p

4) Stretch---This seems to work best for me. When I switch from an HD channel to an SD channel(or vice versa) there is no delay/weird breakup that seems to show up with options 2 and 3.

Even if my TV is only 720p, should I still leave the HD output at 1080i?

By the way, I went down to Comcast today to switch my old cable box for an HD one... and man they are rude! AND the lady tried to give me RCA cables and tell me they're component. "Umm, ma'am, I'm pretty sure component are the green, blue, red ones." After all that, they gave me an outdated box with no HDMI output. I asked for an HDMI box and they said they're all out and only get around 5 boxes in stock per week. They said if I want one the only option is to drive way out to their location (by the airport) some other day and stand in line to see if they have any. Friggin' ridiculous!

#1,490 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan868 /forum/post/15345420

Darn, I missed out on seeing this.

Nice to hear they're doing tests though.

I hope OTA reception for 26 and 30 increases as we reach February.

Well taking a look at antennaweb today showed 30.1 moving from red to yellow for me on February 17 here in the Sunnyside area. So I assume they are going to get better.

Anyone with Dish Network have any idea when we will get HD locals? I am going to start looking into an outdoor antenna and I will hold off if they are coming sometime in the next decade. (Honestly, I am real close to dropping Dish all together and going straight OTA again.)

#1,491 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmonee /forum/post/15448470

Well taking a look at antennaweb today showed 30.1 moving from red to yellow for me on February 17 here in the Sunnyside area. So I assume they are going to get better.

Anyone with Dish Network have any idea when we will get HD locals? I am going to start looking into an outdoor antenna and I will hold off if they are coming sometime in the next decade. (Honestly, I am real close to dropping Dish all together and going straight OTA again.)

I'm having the same problem with KFSN's digital signal as well. I live in Southeast Fresno, near Peach and Olive and can't seem to get KFSN and KAIL digital signal as much as I try. I don't want to miss Lost and Smackdown come February. However, I can receive KSEE, KMPH, KFRE constantly and occasionally get KGPE. Maybe it's because the KSEE and KMPH stations are both located a couple of miles away from my home. I'm using a RadioShack 15-1878 antenna btw.

#1,492 ·
Well it seems KFSN's digital signal strength will increase come February. So hopefully you'll be able to get it!

Btw, anyone else notice how bad KFSN's HD field cameras look when they're doing live satellite stuff? When they cut back and forth from in-studio it's really noticeable and looks baaaad.

#1,493 ·
I wish I knew when DishNet was going to get local HD. But as long as I have my locals OTA I am not to worried about it.

When I was doing the reasearch before I decided on DishNet, I looked at Comcast (who I have for internet), Directtv, and DishNet. At that time DishNet flat out had more HD programing than any of them, which is why I chose DishNet. Now I don't know, but I think that I am going to stay with them mostly due to their award winning DVR, I have the ViP622 and most likely will upgrade to the 722 soon.

As far as OTA stations, I currently am using an antenna that i got from Monoprice, and I am receiving all of the stations, plus ones that I don't care to watch. I live out in Reedley, and this antenna is both UHF and VHF and cost much less than $40. The only station that I get random is the CW which I do not watch often. Oh, I have it up on the roof. OTA HDTV looks awesome! Followed by the good DishNet HD channels.

#1,494 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekul /forum/post/15453530

I'm having the same problem with KFSN's digital signal as well. I live in Southeast Fresno, near Peach and Olive and can't seem to get KFSN and KAIL digital signal as much as I try. I don't want to miss Lost and Smackdown come February. However, I can receive KSEE, KMPH, KFRE constantly and occasionally get KGPE. Maybe it's because the KSEE and KMPH stations are both located a couple of miles away from my home. I'm using a RadioShack 15-1878 antenna btw.

I live just down the street from you at Fowler and Kings Canyon. I was using an amplified indoor antenna and needed to have it out in the middle of the room to get good reception. Then a forum member suggested I use a non-amplified antenna, and the reception is rather good putting it in a more unobtrusive spot. I get over 70 signal on KVPT, KMPH, KSEE, and KGPE. For KFSN I seem to get around 58. (which is just enough to hold a signal). So if you have an antenna without an amplifier lying around, it may be worth it to try it. Even if you don't it looks like in a month and a half KFSN will be better anyway.

Wesley, which antenna are you using? And what is the difference between the 622 and the 722? The only reason I am contemplating leaving Dish is the impending price increase. I think all pay TV is getting a little too pricey considering the online alternatives.

#1,495 ·
This is for you OTA types. Over the last few weeks, I've been seeing a big increase in dropouts on channel 18-DT. I'll see the signal drop from 100% to 0% in the blink of an eye, then back. It's become so bad we sometimes drop to analog just for the relief.

Anyone else?

#1,496 ·
[/quote]Wesley, which antenna are you using? And what is the difference between the 622 and the 722? The only reason I am contemplating leaving Dish is the impending price increase. I think all pay TV is getting a little too pricey considering the online alternatives.[/quote]

It is the white indoor/outdoor antenna from Monoprice (HDA-5700) it sells for $24. The difference from the 622 to the 722 is the amount of recordable hours they have. The 722 has more storage and is black instead of the silver.

#1,497 ·
For what it's worth, I am in rural Clovis (east) and have a Silver Sensor under the eaves pointed due east. I am picking up most everything there is (or worth it) with very good signal strength.

I have Dish and waiting for HD locals, but the newer 722k receiver with additional OTA tuner input may do the job quite nicely..waiting for it. so I can record 2 locals in HD at once.

On the other issues, I've noticed the audio dropouts.. KGPE seems the worse.. and are they also the one who never has digital audio, it seems my receiver always switches to pro-logic with 47.1

#1,499 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt /forum/post/15487878

For what it's worth, I am in rural Clovis (east) and have a Silver Sensor under the eaves pointed due east. I am picking up most everything there is (or worth it) with very good signal strength.

I have Dish and waiting for HD locals, but the newer 722k receiver with additional OTA tuner input may do the job quite nicely..waiting for it. so I can record 2 locals in HD at once.

On the other issues, I've noticed the audio dropouts.. KGPE seems the worse.. and are they also the one who never has digital audio, it seems my receiver always switches to pro-logic with 47.1

KGPE is sending digital audio, just not 5.1 audio. That's why your receiver goes to DPLII. KSEE was the same way w/ NBC HD for quite some time. Only KFSN & KMPH seemed to carry 5.1 audio from the get go (or at least when I had the capability to receive it), although KFSN's was broken for a while early on (L/R only - no center, surrounds or sub).

I get HD locals via DirecTv & I find KSEE/NBC the biggest offender when it comes to audio dropouts.

#1,500 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 /forum/post/15498204

I get HD locals via DirecTv & I find KSEE/NBC the biggest offender when it comes to audio dropouts.

Yes, I've noticed drop-outs on 24 also..I guess I just watch 47 more often.

thanks for the info...

#1,501 ·
Has anyone tried to contact the local ABC about their blury picuture, Especially during football games? They have been unresponsive about returning calls. The lady who answered the phone tried to blame the network-which shouldn't be the case. The same stuff is used for the ESPN broadcasts and their productions look great.