Fresno, CA - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1770 Old 10-28-2003, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Use this thread to post updates on the status of HDTV in Fresno, CA. There are several other threads with bits and pieces of Fresno information but I think we need one go-to thread that people can post to with information as it becomes available. Right now on Comcast we have:
184 - local ABC affiliate
185- supposed to be NBC but is offline until ?
also have inHD1 and 2
HD-HBO
HD-Showtime
HD-ESPN

Specifically I would be interested in any information on when NBC, PBS, or Discovery HD will come online here. I am also interested in when CBS will happen but apparently that is the least likely due to contract disputes. Anybody?

Is this chicken what I have, or is this fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1770 Old 10-29-2003, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I've been watching KSEE-DT, the local nbc affilliate, in high definition since last July on my ota tuner. They and the ABC affilliate are the only locals doing HD, though all the others with the exception of channel 18 (pbs) are broadcasting an SD digital signal ota.

Don't know why Comcast isn't carrying KSEE-DT, or any of the other local digitals.

The CBS contract disputes only affect markets where the local CBS affilliate is owned and operated by CBS. The local CBS station here in Fresno is owned by Clear Channel Communications, the radio station conglomerate.

They are broadcasting a digital signal at 1080i, but it's an upconvert of the analog feed (with a nasty stretch) as they are not yet equipped to recieve and pass on the CBS network HD feed. They originally announced that they would not be doing any HD until a year after getting on the air with thier digital signal in mid-August, but the engineer told me a while back that there was some chance of getting it by the end of the year.

Comcast has been pretty aggressive about adding new HD content in other markets, hopefully the same will happen here. In the meantime I'm getting more HD from DirecTV and OTA than what Comcast offers, admittedly at much greater initial expense for equipment.

Steve S.
post #3 of 1770 Old 10-29-2003, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve S
I've been watching KSEE-DT, the local nbc affilliate, in high definition since last July on my ota tuner. They and the ABC affilliate are the only locals doing HD, though all the others with the exception of channel 18 (pbs) are broadcasting an SD digital signal ota.

Hi Steve, question for you (pardon my ignorance). I am using Comcast with their HD motorola 5100 STB with a Samsung DLP monitor (HD ready, ie. no internal HD receiver). How can I also use an antenna to get these OTA channels? I don't see any way to connect an antenna to the 5100. Also is it necessary to have a roof antenna (I live in Clovis) or would a good in-room antenna suffice?

Thanks,
Rod

post #4 of 1770 Old 10-29-2003, 06:17 PM

Rodney,

You would need an ATSC capable HD receiver. Unless you have a much newer TV with one built-in, generally you will need to purchase one separately. Like a Samsung T151. I say hold off purchasing an OTA receiver. Comcast should be making some lineup changes in January hopefully.

Pat
post #5 of 1770 Old 10-29-2003, 06:24 PM

Here is an antenna map of the San Joaquin Valley. You can use it to aim your antenna to pick up local channels. It was supplied by Jeff Jordan at KFSN. Click on the attachment.

Man these winds are crazy tonight.

-Pat

san joaquin valley television.zip 228.265625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip san joaquin valley television.zip (228.3 KB, 11 views)
post #6 of 1770 Old 10-29-2003, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by patjensen
Rodney,

You would need an ATSC capable HD receiver. Unless you have a much newer TV with one built-in, generally you will need to purchase one separately. Like a Samsung T151. I say hold off purchasing an OTA receiver. Comcast should be making some lineup changes in January hopefully.

Pat

Hey Pat. Have you heard anything specific regarding the potential HD lineup changes in January? Also, I've heard rumors that Comcast will shortly be coming out with their motorola DVR HD cable box, any rumors on that release date?

post #7 of 1770 Old 10-30-2003, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Rodney,

I PM'd you back.

I'd agree with Pat that the best thing to do is wait and see what Comcast comes up with. I went the DirecTV route because I've been with them since 96, and when I first got started with HD in fall of 01, Comcast hadn't even bought out ATTBroadband yet so there really wasn't a cable option at that time.

If I were just starting out now, I'd go with Comcast and save the big bucks in equipment investment. Comcast nationally is one of the better companies at getting HD stuff on their systems, I'm sure their offerings here in Fresno will improve soon.

I've been in a couple of local sears stores checking out the Voom system and a lot of folks are in there buying HD-ready sets, so Comcast will have a lot more potential HD customers locally after the Christmas season.

Steve S.
post #8 of 1770 Old 10-30-2003, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Rodney,

I PM'd you back.

I'd agree with Pat that the best thing to do is wait and see what Comcast comes up with. I went the DirecTV route because I've been with them since 96, and when I first got started with HD in fall of 01, Comcast hadn't even bought out ATTBroadband yet so there really wasn't a cable option at that time.

If I were just starting out now, I'd go with Comcast and save the big bucks in equipment investment. Comcast nationally is one of the better companies at getting HD stuff on their systems, I'm sure their offerings here in Fresno will improve soon.

I've been in a couple of local sears stores checking out the Voom system and a lot of folks are in there buying HD-ready sets, so Comcast will have a lot more potential HD customers locally after the Christmas season.

Hi Steve, I got your PM and I appreciate it.
I'm going to take the good advice offered here and sit tight with Comcast HD right now as I don't see a lot better HD content on one of the dishes. I've heard various rumors regarding upcoming changes to the local comcast line. The general concensus seems to be that NBC-HD could be online in January. Sounds like we also may get a HD-DVR anytime from Dec-March. Also it sounds like the moto5100 DVI output may come online in December which would be nice since I have a DVI monitor (Samsung DLP). Anyways thanks for the input!

post #9 of 1770 Old 11-04-2003, 04:57 PM

Woohooo! My Samsung HLN467 should be here next week. I think I have made up my mind to ditch Directv (after being a loyal subscriber for 5 years) and switch to Comcast. I have a couple questions regarding Comcast's Fresno offering. 1> Is the DVI output on the 5100 now enabled? 2> When in is the HD-PVR (6000 series?) going to be available, and can we upgrade for just a few dollars more a month? 3> When is CBS going on line!!?!?

Pat, I'll call you tomorrow.

Toad
post #10 of 1770 Old 11-04-2003, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by ToadMazter
Woohooo! My Samsung HLN467 should be here next week. I think I have made up my mind to ditch Directv (after being a loyal subscriber for 5 years) and switch to Comcast. I have a couple questions regarding Comcast's Fresno offering. 1> Is the DVI output on the 5100 now enabled? 2> When in is the HD-PVR (6000 series?) going to be available, and can we upgrade for just a few dollars more a month? 3> When is CBS going on line!!?!?

Pat, I'll call you tomorrow.

Toad

Hi neighbor.
1-no DVI not yet active but all signs point to activation within the next 4-6 weeks. Meanwhile, component looks fantastic.

2- 6280 unit most likely available by the end of the year. when you sign up for comcast be sure to ask for the digital HD box. You may have seen that comcast is running TV ads promoting their 'upcoming' DVR (6280) box.It will be $5 more per month than the HD box, a bargain.

3- Don't know about CBS. Our local station is not an O&O station meaning that it is locally owned and thus not restricted by national contracting disputes so it could happen any time. More realistically, NBC will be the next added to the HD list, likely in Jan or Feb.

YOu and I have the same set, by the way. You will LOVE it!

post #11 of 1770 Old 11-05-2003, 02:43 PM

This might be old news, but it was new to me. Comcast is offering $400 for satellite receiver owners to switch service. I have been a Directv subscriber forever, but didn't want to pay $400 for a new HD receiver. I ordered Comcast last night, and it should be installed tomorrow. I'll get $25 off my Comcast bill for the next 16 months... which basically gets me the same price as my Directv, but I'll have an HD receiver and HBO! Now, I just need my Sammy to arrive.....
post #12 of 1770 Old 11-05-2003, 03:38 PM

I just wanted to clarify a point. KGPE-DT isn't sending out 1080i. They are broadcasting a 720x480i signal flagged as 16:9. That's why your STB shows it as widescreen.

The MyHD card will stretch it back to 4:3 if you play with res and aspect ratio. I couldn't stand to watch it stretched off my HD100.

Additionally, the engineering department is trying to get HD ready for the Superbowl. I'm not sure if that's OTA only or Comcast carriage as well.
post #13 of 1770 Old 11-05-2003, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

David,

Thanks for the clarification on KGPE. When they first came up I called up to complain about the stretch and the engineer told me they were doing an upconvert to 1080i and stretching, and that his Samsung box could undo the stretch. Since then they've had a few encoder problems and I've noticed lately that I can get my HD-200 to unstretch it if I switch the box to 480p output--it won't do this on KFSN or KSEE, so it stands to reason they aren't doing 1080i--my bad.

If I were starting now I'd probably go with Comcast to avoid the intial stb expense, but they aren't carrying any local digitals other than KFSN, and I find a digital ota signal better than analog cable or analog ota even for the stations that aren't doing HD. Every station in the area except PBS and the catholic channel (49?) is broadcasting a good digital SD picture which I couldn't get on comcast. I'm also getting a lot more HD on D* than Comcast is carrying, so having already spent the money I'll stick with D and OTA.

I really hope KGPE gets HD up earlier than the next summer original eta, I really wanna see CSI in HD. I have little or no hope that we'll ever see any WB or UPN programming in HD, though they do have decent digital SD most of the time.

Steve S.
post #14 of 1770 Old 11-09-2003, 09:56 AM

To the Comcast HD subscribers:

A quick informal poll for DTC5100 details. I am trying to troubleshoot high pixelization, much more than I had on DirecTV. Maybe it is normal, but I am afraid once my 46" Samsung arrives that it will be worse. Does Comcast use higher/more compression on most channels than DISH/DirecTV? I wish they would reduce the number of offered channels so the quality would go up...

On to the poll. In the diagnostic menu, what is your SNR and AGC levels at d03 and d04. Also, what are you firmware and software versions?

Here are mine:
d03
SNR (about)22% GOOD
AGC 14 GOOD

d04
SNR (about)34% GOOD
AGC 80 GOOD

Firmware Version: 51.42-2002
S/W Version: 5.03

Thanks!
post #15 of 1770 Old 11-10-2003, 06:27 PM

d03
SNR 22.3
AGC 17%

d04
SNR 35.1
AGC 52%

Same firmware. If you're talking about the "digital cable" channels, they've always looked worse to me than directv; I don't know if it's more compression or worse equipment.

On the plus side it looks like NBC showed up tonight on channel 185.
post #16 of 1770 Old 11-10-2003, 06:43 PM

Indeed, I have just started receiving NBC as well. Look forward to watching Law and Order tonight in HD.. cool deal. It would be great if they could knock down CBS around Christmas, or at least before Super Bowl..

-Pat
post #17 of 1770 Old 11-10-2003, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by aenea

On the plus side it looks like NBC showed up tonight on channel 185.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, forgive me for getting a little bit excited but I've been waiting for NBC-HD and wasn't expecting it for a couple months. I think this shows that Comcast is aware that there is a need for more HD content in this region and is making efforts. Now all we need is PBS, Discovery, CBS etc.

BTW I have the same firmware here as you guys, 5.03.

post #18 of 1770 Old 11-10-2003, 06:49 PM

Another note. When I first got my DTC5100 - my analog cable channels had some serious lines running through them. My digital cable channels came through clear and my HD channels would pixelate often and lose audio sync. I went to Radio Shack and purchased an "HDTV ready" cable amplifier with 1 input and 1 output for $29. It makes quite a difference in my condo. I'm sure the problem is in the condo cable plant because there are over 300 units. I don't lose block sync on my cable modem though, so it is probably just marginal.

Just thought I would share that. If you have a huge amount of loss, it's almost always a bad rusty coupler or a bad connector on some RG58 or RG6. The wiring here is fairly new so the amplifier helped mitigate the loss.
post #19 of 1770 Old 11-10-2003, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip Pat. BTW does that signal amplifier in any way interefere with the two-way communication that the moto 5100 requires?

I am sitting here watching Las Vegas on NBC-HD 185 in HD and it looks mighty good

post #20 of 1770 Old 11-10-2003, 09:45 PM

Actually, the amplifier is made for two-way communication. It's supposed to improve SnR on analog/digital cable channels and cable modems as well if you get a duplexer or a dual-output amplifier.

I checked out Las Vegas and watched some concert scene mixed with some nice softcore. PQ looked good, that chick was pretty hot too!
post #21 of 1770 Old 11-11-2003, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by patjensen
Actually, the amplifier is made for two-way communication. It's supposed to improve SnR on analog/digital cable channels and cable modems as well if you get a duplexer or a dual-output amplifier.

I checked out Las Vegas and watched some concert scene mixed with some nice softcore. PQ looked good, that chick was pretty hot too!

Yeah I was unpleasantly surprised to see that Las Vegas the show is not unlike Las Vegas the place, not suitable for kids. I can't believe some of the stuff they were showing on network TV at 9 PM. Oh well at least it was in HD.

What's up with the sound on the HD channels tonight? no sound at all on ESPN-HD, Frasier was almost unwatchable the sound was so off.

post #22 of 1770 Old 11-11-2003, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

For those of you that noticed the sound sync problems on NBC HD 185 tonight, you may want to send a gentle encouraging email to the ksee GM and operations manager at georgeh3@ksee.com and jerryg@ksee.com to let them know we are hoping they will fix the issue. From what I have read this problem is most likely a local issue with their technical processing of the network feed. It doesn't hurt to let them know that people are wanting this fixed and apparently this has sped up a fix in other regions.

post #23 of 1770 Old 11-12-2003, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

OK, sorry for the 3 posts in a row but I just posted in the HDTV digital recorders forum about the now-official release date for the HD-DVR in Fresno, see
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...46#post2915746

post #24 of 1770 Old 11-12-2003, 03:39 PM

Rodney,

Thanks for the update. I assume they aren't taking orders yet. What is the monthy $ going to be on the DVR?

Pat,

We need a find a way to configure the DVR to stream content over Ethernet/IP to the 5100... and maybe even to our XBOX's :-)

Adam
post #25 of 1770 Old 11-12-2003, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by ToadMazter
Rodney,

Thanks for the update. I assume they aren't taking orders yet. What is the monthy $ going to be on the DVR?

Pat

Adam

hey Pat, the cost for the HD-DVR is an additional $5/month over the $4.99 per month we are currently paying for the HD moto 5100. That's a bargain IMHO considering purchasing one would cost hundreds of dollars and it would be outdated within 18 months.

post #26 of 1770 Old 11-12-2003, 04:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't think it would be outdated in 18 months. What is going to come out and surpass it? HD Super DVR? All they can really add is features like HMO that is available on TiVo or more outputs. You won't get DTS. Maybe a bigger hard drive, but the TiVo units you can buy are able to have bigger hard drives.

The only thing that will outdate my current TiVo is the HD-TiVo or a series 2 DirecTiVo if they offer HMO on it.

Meanwhile, out in the boonies, I am waiting for more OTA HD and the HD-TiVo, as they will have 3-D Super HD before they bring cable into my area. It will be there a year before DSL, which should put it at about 2075, give or take a couple of years.

What I don't understand is why people who already have DirecTV would want to switch to Comcast. After all, you already have the equipment, unless local stations via cable is so much more appealing than using an antenna.
post #27 of 1770 Old 11-12-2003, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.Poindexter
I don't think it would be outdated in 18 months. What is going to come out and surpass it? HD Super DVR? All they can really add is features like HMO that is available on TiVo or more outputs. You won't get DTS. Maybe a bigger hard drive, but the TiVo units you can buy are able to have bigger hard drives.

The only thing that will outdate my current TiVo is the HD-TiVo or a series 2 DirecTiVo if they offer HMO on it.

I was thinking in terms of hard drive size and user interface. Maybe not outdated but not state-of-the-art.

post #28 of 1770 Old 11-12-2003, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not switching from DirecTV to Comcast unless Comcast comes up with significantly more HD content than D* and also starts carrying the local SD digital channels.

If I were starting out from nothing I would probably choose Comcast over D, but I have no problem getting locals ota off my antenna since I switched from a Hughes to a Sony HD-200.

I also noted the poor audio synch on Frazier last night--it's the first time I've encountered it on KSEE DT since they came up last July or so. Used to get poor audio synch a lot on KFSN but not lately.

Steve S.
post #29 of 1770 Old 11-12-2003, 06:23 PM

Quote:

What I don't understand is why people who already have DirecTV would want to switch to Comcast. After all, you already have the equipment, unless local stations via cable is so much more appealing than using an antenna.

I had been a DirecTV subscriber for 6 years. I just switched to Comcast because of the ability to rent equipment. If I had purchased a $600 Sat HD receiver, I would have to shell out another $1000 for a HD DVR model in a couple months. With Comcast, its just another $5 a month, no contract. And they gave me $400 back for switching away from satellite!

Although, looking at the photos of your 2400lbs home theater speaker system, I assume that a couple grand in satellite equipment is no big deal :-) What an awesome setup you have!

BTW- if you get too tired of waiting for DSL in Selma, I have a couple Cisco Aironet wireless bridges we could put up between our houses. 54Mb/sec is enough to stream archived HD content between us as well. I would only charge ya $2700 a month for rental and access to my cable modem. :-) Seriously, if you need highspeed Internet access in your area, there are a couple wireless providers I have worked with that are pretty good.

Adam
post #30 of 1770 Old 11-12-2003, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I also noted the poor audio synch on Frazier last night--it's the first time I've encountered it on KSEE DT since they came up last July or so. Used to get poor audio synch a lot on KFSN but not lately.

This is a (same day) response I got from an email I sent to the KSEE NBC PM, George HIllis. Nice to see that he gives a darn and is interested in the quality of his HD broadcasts:

Rodney:
This is the first report of any sync problems with our digital signal. Our engineers monitor the signal on a daily basis and have not seen what you describe. We know that there can be syncing problems but again yours is the first report.

I am curious about the forum of HD enthusiasts here in Fresno. Is there a web site or a chat area that I could visit to see what everyone thinks?

Please keep me posted on how we are doing and if you experience the sync situation again. Thank you for taking the time to write.

George Hillis
Program/Operations Manager
KSEE24, NBC
Fresno/Visalia/Porterville/Merced

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page