Jacksonville, FL - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4507 Old 02-02-2004, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw occasional pixelization with corresponding audio dropouts, but they were only for a short time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4507 Old 02-03-2004, 03:49 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
James,

I had a couple of drop-outs but I think that mine were due to multi-path. It got better around 8:30.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #273 of 4507 Old 02-03-2004, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I just wasn't meant to impress my friends with the superbowl. Last night all the sitcoms and CSI looked great on CBS. Go figure...

Thanks,
James

On a side note, I notice a lot of people commenting on how CBS has the best HDTV presentation on their football - I definitely disagree. Monday night football and ESPN Sunday night football ALWAYS looked noticably better on my setup. I'm beginning to wonder if I am having problems with CBS HDTV sports only feed I need to straighten this out before March Madness (hoping CBS broadcasts that in HDTV of course).
post #274 of 4507 Old 02-03-2004, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 106
oljim-

Lip sync wasn't an issue here for the game although last Fall we had some problems but I think our local CBS engineer got it under control now.

The 921 is basically a paradigm shift in the way I watch TV here. People with TIVO's have known this for years but I'm just now discovering how great it is. So much easier than tape for time shifting and with HDTV DVR, I don't lose any of my desired picture quality or sound. A little flakey on the OTA channels but as long as you know what not to do you can avoid conditions that ripen your chances for a system reboot.
The biggest issue is the OTA local channels that fail to include proper PSIP info. I would like to see the FCC regulate this aspect of DigitalTV. So much hardware is being built around it that it seems a crime that so few local broadcasters have failed to properly use it.

Locally-
WJXX and WTLV(ABC&NBC) do nothing. Not even channel number or call sign.
WTEV and WAWS, and the rest, including a local religous station does call sign and channel number.

They are not alone. Stations around the country who doPSIP properly are extremely rare.
post #275 of 4507 Old 02-03-2004, 12:55 PM

Yesterday, I called Comcast to ask about the inconsistent volume (audio) levels between channels and occasionally between locals and networks on the same channel. The worst seems to be ESPN HD which is 10 to 20 db higher than adjacent channels. The spokesman stated that the problem must be my equipment, because no one else in Jacksonville had complained. He said if sufficient complaints where logged , they would take action. Yea right, however if you do share this problem please call them.

Hokie56

post #276 of 4507 Old 02-03-2004, 01:09 PM

It's not just inconsistent volume on Comcast, it's very inconsistent audio channel utilization. Frequently (nearly all the time) the History Channel is a LEFT CHANNEL only station. Various other channels, from time to time will have audio only on one channel (not necessarily LEFT). It's very aggravating and speaks volumes (no pun intended) about how little technicians are paying attention to the service they charge us so much for.

Yeah, it's all in OUR equipment....right!

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it!

Jonathan

Jonathan
post #277 of 4507 Old 02-03-2004, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My bad! We should still be using the Jan. and Feb. thread. Just let this one die, and I will post the Mar. and April thread at the end of the month. Sorry.
post #278 of 4507 Old 02-03-2004, 04:55 PM

Don---

From your new experiences with the 921, I would say "Welcome to the Tivolution" but I haven't seen an applicable catchphrase yet for the 921 that expresses the same sentiment. I'm waiting for the upcoming HD Directivo and I'm at about #115 on the ********************* waiting list for that box. With VE matching $ for $ of the first $100 preorder deposit (and the out clauses)-- I couldn't pass that up.

From your perspective, what are your thoughts on the rumors that D* is moving to future use of 8PSK?

--Bill
post #279 of 4507 Old 02-04-2004, 04:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Bill-

I'm excited about HD TIVO as well. I had lunch with Jonathan today and we discussed the TIVO. He told me some things about the software I was not aware of and will certainly look forward to it. I saw the HDTIVO in operation and spoke to both TIVO and DirecTV reps on it. It actually is more robust in the hardware than the 921. It has two Off air tuners which will satisfy one limitation I have already seen with the 921. The active tuner complement is the same as the 921 set at no more than any 2 however.

The availability is promised by DirecTV to be done on a premiere dates concept as opposed to how E* is doing the 921, a little at a time. March 31st is slated to have HDTIVO's official release by lots of stock at all retailers. They said you should be able to walk in and buy one with no more than a warehouse shipping time delay is sold out that day.

The downside to all this is indeed the 8PSK announcement. While I embrace that next level technology, I wonder if the HDTIVO is 8PSK ready. Nobody asked and nobody seems to know for sure. It may be a reason I will put off buying the HDTIVO when first out. I do have one on order with a local dealer but if not 8PSK, I may hold off until a next generation is made. Then there is this new management at DirecTV that seems to be moving in a "Let's give TIVO the boot in favor of our own hardware" attitude that was just announced. Lots of exciting things with DirecTV but it does make me pause for my original plans of having both here this spring.
post #280 of 4507 Old 02-04-2004, 05:39 PM

Is anybody else having problem with no sound whatsoever on 17-1? I get sound on every other channel, but this is the second week in a row when I turned on Smallville in HD and found it to be silent. 17 and 17-2 both have sound, but 17-1 does not.
post #281 of 4507 Old 02-05-2004, 03:28 AM

Ereth,

I had no sound problems at all last night watching Smallville. I did get a couple of horizontal lines acrross the screen for a few seconds, but otherwise the output was great. I have had problems in the past with 17-1. This week looked and sounded better than the last few weeks.

Paul

FPW
post #282 of 4507 Old 02-05-2004, 05:31 PM

I have no sound at all on 17-1. Haven't had in a couple weeks. There's no sound on that channel as I type this.

I get sound on every other channel. I used to get sound on 17-1. I've reset the receiver and rescanned but nothing. It's like the channel is on mute.

If you get sound it must be something at my end, but what could it possibly be? And why only that channel?
post #283 of 4507 Old 02-06-2004, 06:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Ereth- What is your receiver and amplifier? How are they connected to the sat receiver? How do you have your ATSC tuner set up for audio?
post #284 of 4507 Old 02-06-2004, 06:17 AM

I have the same problem with 17-1.
17-2 has sound.

Samsung 160 receiver. Every other channel works fine.

Whats strange is that the image is perfect, just no audio.

Jack
post #285 of 4507 Old 02-06-2004, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hi Guys -

It suddenly looks like I'll be moving to Jacksonville in a week or so, somewhere close to the Jacsonville Beach area.

Would anyone be willing to summarize what I might expect for OTA HDTV here. (already know about antennaweb)

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #286 of 4507 Old 02-06-2004, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome to the Jax area.

As far as OTA is concerned I would say that we are above average or at least average to the rest of the country in regards to what we have and don't have. Below is a list of stations that you (and just about everyone within 45 miles of Jacksonville will recieve without too many problems):
Actually Digital channels in ().

Channel 4 - Independent (our old CBS affiliate) - 4-1(42) and other subchannels - upconverts all material to 1080i -- 4:3

PBS - currently multicasts on 7-1,2,3 and 4(38), no HD as of 02/06/04 but we should have some soon - at least we hope -- Smitty1 is the engineer and is known from time to time to drop by when he has the time

NBC - 12-1(13) - passes HD when available, sometime they can be slackers, currently NBC and ABC(see below) are owned by the same company

WB -- 17-1 (34) - passes HD when available, but signal is not as strong as others.

ABC -- 25-1(10) - passes HD when available, sometime they can be slackers, but they like to blame it on the fact 720p is a "uncommon" format -- search on the Jax threads for more info.

FOX -- 30-1(32) - passes EDTV Fox widescreen - JD or Jerry is the engineer for FOX/CBS here in Jax, they are both owned by Clear Channel - he is fairly activee on our threads and is very helpful

CBS -- 47-1 (19) -- passes HD when available, as said above owned by clear channel and JD(Jerry) is very helpful.

One thing that we do not have is 5.1 passthrough yet and it looks like we want see that for a long time (Budgets are too tight -- that is there excuse and they are sticking to it -- I guess I don't completly blame them, but I will)

there is also a local TBN(religous) station broadcasting in DT, but I have no information on them.

Welcome again and feel free to ask away.

We here in Jacksonville are fairly small group 20+ or so and last year we got together and had breakfast and meet, we are thinking about doing this again, it was very beneficial, because it allowed us to meet and more importantly meet Smitty1 and Jerry. Jerry actually gave us a full tour of the CBS/FOX facility to educate us.

Jeff
post #287 of 4507 Old 02-06-2004, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Don Tks for the info on the 921, I will hold off looking for one till the bugs in tuner (OTA) are worked out. I pick up 4-1 and 30-1 now and then from up here in the sticks LOL
Jim

This finger was not made to press one for english
post #288 of 4507 Old 02-06-2004, 12:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Welcome to Jacksonville, Tom. From Michigan, you'll think you died and went to heaven! I'm a transplanted upstate New Yorker but been here in Jax since 1980! So I know that I would prefer to pressure wash my pool deck today in the sunny seventies than to be back in New York shoveling my driveway out to get my car in the Garage. Hope you found work here and are moving because of that. Let me know if I can be of any assistance in finding your way around town. Now I have to get back out and finish cleaning the pool. Just had to say that for your 'welcome to Florida!
post #289 of 4507 Old 02-06-2004, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Gator99 -

Thx for the summary. It looks like I'll add a couple channels. Most importantly, I'll maybe finally be able to watch Smallville & Angel in HD (antenna willing).

And count me in if another meet & greet is going to happen.

Don -

Yep. It's a job related xfer. I was talking to my soon to be new boss on the phone last week looking out my Michigan picture window at the thermometer. Ten degrees!

So with an interesting video related job offer it was a no-brainer to move.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

post #290 of 4507 Old 02-06-2004, 05:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

What do you do in the video business? If you do production, maybe we need to talk as I'm in constant need of shooters, AD's, grips, etc. I have a list of pros I contact for each job but often no one is available so I run out of contacts.

Tom, the TV towers in J'ville are all in the vicinity of Southside Blvd. and Beach Blvd. if you look on a map. I'm about 4 miles west of that location and all my channels are pegging the meters on my DTC-100 and my 921. You mentioned the beaches for location which will be between 12 miles and 20 miles depending on how far south or north you go.
post #291 of 4507 Old 02-06-2004, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What do you do in the video business? If you do production, maybe we need to talk as I'm in constant need of shooters, AD's, grips, etc. I have a list of pros I contact for each job but often no one is available so I run out of contacts.

Don -

I'm a software engineer involved in video related computer programming, but not involved in video production. I'm interested in that stuff, as probably shows from some of my postings here, but it's not my career or skill set.

Quote:

Tom, the TV towers in J'ville are all in the vicinity of Southside Blvd. and Beach Blvd. if you look on a map. I'm about 4 miles west of that location and all my channels are pegging the meters on my DTC-100 and my 921. You mentioned the beaches for location which will be between 12 miles and 20 miles depending on how far south or north you go.

As it turns out, I rented a duplex this afternoon around Beach & San Pablo. According to antennaweb this puts me about 7-8 miles from most digital stations. And with all in the same direction I shouldn't need my stupid rotor antenna that I hate so much.

- Tom

post #292 of 4507 Old 02-06-2004, 10:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yu should get about the same signals as I do and, yes no rotor! That was a consideration in Jacksonville years ago when they planned that area. We also have very low incident of multipath in Jax. No major buildings tall enough to do that except in certain parts of the rural NW and I understand no one owns a TV in that end of town anyway. (Just kidding) Obviously there are parts of Jax that have some multipath but it is rare.

I don't know of any company developing video related software in Jax. There is one major hardware company in town. Parkervision. They make pan/tilt cameras and servo heads. I use one in my production. Pretty cool, you can plant an RF tracking device on a subject and the head tracks the person as he moves about.
post #293 of 4507 Old 02-07-2004, 05:23 AM

trbarry, I would also like to welcome you to Jacksonville. I have been here for 10 years and it is a great city. Let us know if there is anything we can do !!

John Morgis
post #294 of 4507 Old 02-07-2004, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

trbarry, welcome to Jax. I came from Michigan about 22 years ago. We love Jacksonville. It was a well kept secret as far as what a wonderful place Jax was. I guess the secret was out when we got our NFL team. I still follow the Red Wings, the Lions, the Tigers, and the Pistons. The Red Wings are doing great!

P S Pun
post #295 of 4507 Old 02-09-2004, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Okay, thanks for the welcome everybody. I've been offline for a couple days now and am back in MI for the moment.

My only question about Jacksonville for the moment is slightly off topic but could anyone recomend a Jax broadband access provider. I want to get that taken care of tomorrow and currently seem to have the choice of Comcast or DSL through the local phone company (SBC?). I probably was not going to bother with cable TV for the moment unless I need Comcast for the Internet anyway.

- Tom

post #296 of 4507 Old 02-09-2004, 04:39 PM

trbarry - I've had Comcast for the past few years with no problems, great service and speed. Bellsouth is the other option for DSL. Comcast will charge ya 60/month for internet if u dont have tv with them though...so your better option may be bellsouth, if its available in your area.

Chris
post #297 of 4507 Old 02-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tom, Chris is correct about Comcast, unless you own your own Cable modem, (approx $100) and subscribe to basic -- then Comcast high speed internet and local service (Basic 2-13) is only $52. I am not sure about Bellsouth or any other DSL provider, but I have had Cable internet access for three plus years and never had a problem and recently they bumped up their download speed to 3000Kb or is kb either way it is pretty fast.

Jeff
post #298 of 4507 Old 02-10-2004, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

trbarry, I have the Bellsouth DSL, works pretty good. I think they still have a deal going on with $50 refund for the modem. I think DSL is a bit cheaper than cable. The DSL lite is $39.95/month, and the regular DSL is $49.95/month. But if you have cell phone (Cingular), local, and long distant services with Bellsouth, you get an additional $10 discount per month.
post #299 of 4507 Old 02-10-2004, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Who all called WTLV Master control last night? MC said several people called to complain. They weren't sending the HDTV switch for Las Vegas. But their excuse was that NBC didn't have it in HDTV. The Master Control guy said they never miss the switch and if it isn't showing in HDTV that's because the network isn't sending them the signal. In other words, it's always the network's fault never WTLV's.
post #300 of 4507 Old 02-10-2004, 11:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Jerry-

Can you tell us what will happen when FOX switches to HD later this year? Will WAWS be ready to bring FOX HD to Jax?

Any news on WTEV CBS in DD5.1? I had quite a conversation in LasVegas with Bob Ross on the CBS plight to move ahead with DD5.1. While it doesn't affect the affiliates, his take on the O&O's are that station engineers who don't cooperate get the big axe from CBS network.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page