post #361 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 11:34 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Natalie,

Try turning your antenna towards the antenna farm. If that doesn't work try the Silver Sensor antenna. A number of individuals in the hd hardware forum tend to like it. If you get that antenna you should also turn it towards the antenna farm. The placement of an indoor antenna can be very delicate so you may try placing it on the floor, on top of the tv, upside or sideways whatever works.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 11:43 AM

Liked: 10
Forgive me since Im new at this, but what is meant by the antenna farm?

Oh believe me, we tried turning this thing every way possible, up and down...the best reception we got was by having it up on the bridge of our ent center.

We got the 811 at 10 yesterday and we spent until 630 pm trying to get the signals right.

We bought this new antenna from radio shack and it seems better then the ones we already had, but still without pbs and wtlv12.

this is the antenna we bought yesterday:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...AAC40EA7A1CA34
post #363 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 11:52 AM

Natalie,

The "antenna farm" is the outcropping of tall TV antenna's along southside blvd just south of Beach blvd.

I would second Antonio's thought of trying a silver sensor. They are well recommended across the forum. Remember, there's always a return policy for the one that doesn't work. Here's a link to it at best buy...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....4&type=product

--Bill
post #364 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 12:29 PM

Ok I spoke with the hubby regarding the farm and he told me thats basically the direction we have it in now.

But he did say he will look into the silver sensor.

Besides it being UHF only and not amplified how does it differ from the one that I posted we bought yesterday?
post #365 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 12:47 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Natalie,

It works differently from the one you have b/c it is supposed to be more sensitive. That is what I glean from the numerous posts on it. Do a search in the hd hardware forum for "Silver Sensor". I provided a link below.Silver Sensor

post #366 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 12:54 PM

Curious about one more thing...According to antennaweb, wtlv and wjxx use VHF...If I buy the silver sensor I wouldnt be able to get these?

As it stands now, I cant get wtlv anyway but I do get Wjxx.

Am I understanding this right?
post #367 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 01:14 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

I don't believe that it matters. I maybe wrong and if I am someone could correct me.

post #368 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 01:15 PM

Yes, it is VHF, but many UHF-only antenna's will receive the upper VHF channels(7 and above). In this post... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...47#post3429347 the person states that he can get channel 9 with it. With your proximity to the farm, you should be able to pick up wjxx(10) and wtlv(13) using it.
post #369 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 01:18 PM

ok then..I guess we'll have to give it a shot. Is Best buy the only local place that carries it? Id rather not go there if I dont have to..I just dont like that store

Do I need that channel master that was mentioned?
post #370 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Try just using a simple dipole (rabbit ears) set to the ch 13 frequency. I forget the exact length, but open the two "ears" as wide as you can (almost opposite each other) and collapse to about 1 foot each ear.

At 5 miles, you shouldn't need any special antenna for a VHF signal.
post #371 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 01:25 PM

I did a search on the Circuit City site-- it doesn't look like they carry it, but you could call. Sound advice might carry it. Froogle.google.com says sears carries it. Of course, if you care to wait a couple days, they have it for $29.99 on overstock.com (which is $10.00 less than BB)
post #372 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 01:30 PM

We tried an old pair of rabbit ears with the 1 knob you keep turning and it didnt work very well.
post #373 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 01:32 PM

Yeah amazon has it for 24...but Id rather buy local in case I need to return it.

Maybe Ill call sears and see if they have it in store
post #374 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 01:35 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Natalie, come on now, is BB that bad? Sure some of their salespeople are uninformed, but that shouldn't stop you from getting what you need from them.

post #375 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 01:41 PM

Well considering the last time we were in there, it got so frustrating that we vowed never to go back...

Anywho...I dont know what will happen..we may just end up there to get the antenna, but my hubby hates that store with a passion.

But Ill call Sears first..if they dont have it, then I suppose we will have no choice.

As I said, something like this I prefer to buy local...considering the antenna we bought yesterday may have to go back, I dont know how well the Silver Sensor will work, its possible it may have to go back as well, who knows?
post #376 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 01:48 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

If the antenna doesn't work for you, you may want to try a amp with it. Only as a last resort.

post #377 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 01:50 PM

That would be the channel master?

This is also different from using an amplified antenna?
post #378 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Look here for tips on antennas.

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/rabbitear.html

Don't fall for the all the hype. Unless you are blocked by a lot of metal structure, you have all the signal you need at 5 miles with a simple dipole.
post #379 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 01:59 PM

We have lived here for a long time. As far as I can remember, its always been a pain in the butt to get signal here. I dont mean just OTA...but before locals came to Dish, it was so bad we just gave up.

The antennas we initially tried using are ones we have had for years...one is amplified the other is not. We tried those two and then went and bought the newer amplified one yesterday.

My hubby use to say its because we are across the river from the base.

Not sure if this has any bearing on OTA.
post #380 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 02:03 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

CM is just one amp maker. I have one from Rat Shack (I don't use it) but it's a high-gain signal amp. It has an adjustable gain so that you can adjust how much amplification the signal gets. I think that I only paid 20 or so for it, but I got in the spring of last year so the price maybe diff.

Some antennas have the amp built in so I guess you could call that an amplified antenna. It is best to go with one that does not b/c you have the option of no amplification or a little to alot. You have to remember that too much amplification can over-amplify the channels you rec now. That is why it is best to get an adjustable gain amp if you need an amp.

If you only need about 10db of signal attenuation you can also get a RF Signal Attenuator. It is a small box that cost about 6.00. I have one that I got from RS. I use it on my antenna and I have a outdoor antenna. You can adjust the signal attenuator anywhere from 0 to 10db to increase the strenght of the signal. Use one or the other. First see if you can pick up the channels with just the antenna. If not then try the amp. The attenuator will only work well for you if you are already receiving the signal but you need a slight boost to get you over the hump.

post #381 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 02:10 PM

Ok, the one we got yesterday has an adjustable knob, for the amplification I suppose...you can turn it off too. Didnt seem like it made a difference until it was all the way up.

But I will go for just the antenna at first. We got the amplified antenna yesterday because we figured it would be better.
post #382 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 03:54 PM

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that WTLV has one of the worst signals of the digital stations broadcasting. It's always been a difficult (on again, off again) station to get a solid lock on. Some folks see it different, but for me, your experience there is completely understandable.

WJCT is newly on the air digitally and though I get their signal fine, it is pretty low quality. Some have mentioned that they've begun some HD broadcasting, but I've not caught them at it yet.

Good luck!

Jonathan
post #383 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 09:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't have any problem with WTLV or any of the major networks here, except of course the missing UPN. My WB signal is weak enough on the signal meter that I would not have predicted decent reception but it is also steady enough that I get very few breakups most days.

I've tried various things in various home and I am starting to think I best like my UHF antenna with about a 3' boom. It beats the heck out of my Silver Sensor here. I'll probably move it to my attic when I get around to it. And even though it is just UHF it still does a very good job on ABC, on RF (VHF) channel 10.

6 of my stations have stronger meter readings than in Detroit (Ferndale MI) where I was actually closer to the towers than I am now at about 7.5 miles. And even WB is decent.

Incidentally WB digital came online in Michigan just days before I moved here so I was afraid I had gained HD Angel & Smallville just to lose them again.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #384 of 4512 Old 02-24-2004, 09:32 PM

Hi Tom,

Welcome to Jax! UPN programming is actually available on the FOX Entertainment channel (WAWS), only it is delayed until the FOX programming is complete each night. For example, Star Trek: Enterprise, which might normally be seen at 8pm, is instead shown at 11pm or even later depending upon what is on FOX that night. If I didn't have Tivo to keep up with it, I would probably never see it! As others have discussed, it is not currently being broadcast in HD, but it sounds like it may not be too much longer before it is.

Take care,

Jonathan
post #385 of 4512 Old 02-25-2004, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Jonathan -

Yep, someone a page or 2 above already pointed out the UPN time shifted carriage on Fox. This would actually be fine for me if it was in HD since I use a couple PC's with HD cards that support guide driven timer recording. I don't watch most things live because of the commercials.

Enterprise is the only HD show left on UPN anyway. Though back in Detroit there was usually one of the Paramount HD One movies every few weeks and I liked to record some of them. I don't know if Fox carries those here but it doesn't matter to me until Fox is HD anyway.

I've already set a timer recording for ST:Enterprise tonight on Fox to check it out. Last week I didn't yet know about the Fox/UPN shows.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #386 of 4512 Old 02-25-2004, 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jeburnett
I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that WTLV has one of the worst signals of the digital stations broadcasting. It's always been a difficult (on again, off again) station to get a solid lock on. Some folks see it different, but for me, your experience there is completely understandable.

WJCT is newly on the air digitally and though I get their signal fine, it is pretty low quality. Some have mentioned that they've begun some HD broadcasting, but I've not caught them at it yet.

Good luck!

We went back and tried all antennas that we have. I will say that WTLV and WJCT seem to be the hardest to get...I was able to get some sort of signal on them...but then I lost signal on the rest of the channels.

In the end, it seems that our old antenna, which was an old FM Stereo antenna, was more capable of finding all stations than the new amplified one we bought.

Granted, I have yet to get all stations at once. WJXT seems to come in with the strongest signal..

So, we are going to take the radio shack antenna we bought back. We may go ahead and pick up the Silver Sensor at Sears and see what happens. Or we may just try the rabbit ear approach.

I just dont understand why we cant get all stations with strong signals at once.

We tried to use the degrees listed on antennaweb with our compass, which worked somewhat. Right now Im at a loss.
post #387 of 4512 Old 02-25-2004, 07:57 AM

just a heads up, Comcast still has the 400$ deal. (25$ off each month for 16 months)

Just ordered that with the HD package since I come out cheaper with that and cable modem versus (almost) the same channels on DTV and cable modem. (about 35-40 difference)

Seeing as how Im going this route, anyone interested in the Samsung TS160 (with P4 card and all cables, DVI, RGB, RCA) I have? Figured Id see if someone wanted it locally versus Ebay at first to save shipping hassle. Give me an email @ jandar187 AT comcast.net to discuss details.

Ill give my impressions on the channel lineup when I get setup.

I have too much RF inteference right now and starting to get antenna dropouts which is really ticking me off. Even my 802.11b wireless can't find a clean channel. Thinking about having the electricians come out and check the power.

- Jack
post #388 of 4512 Old 02-25-2004, 06:38 PM

Natalie,
I went through a similar situation a little over a year ago. I must have went through no less than 10 different anteannas. Channel Masters, silver sensors, Radio Shack, in the attic, on the roof, you name it. Know what finally did it for me? I got an extensio mast and moved my antenna up about six feet higher. I haven't had a single problem since then. I tell you, I was close to throwing in the towel. I would strongly suggest that if there is any way for you to move your antenna up a little higher, give that a shot. And if you are using an external antenna, please make sure that you are grounding it properly. Remember, we get a lot of thunderstorms here.

Skip
post #389 of 4512 Old 02-25-2004, 08:49 PM

Jack--

Today, on one of the forums that I frequent, I found good thread that offered quite a lot of tips to isolate rf interference that you're experiencing. I will look for that thread tomorrow and let you know the location. It might be worth taking some time in going through the suggestions in that thread before you spend money on professionals. (and if you do end up finding the source by yourself, then you can send me a check for 1/2 of the estimated cost of those professionals -- or -- just think good thoughts for me.

--Bill
post #390 of 4512 Old 02-26-2004, 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MrGibbage
Natalie,
I went through a similar situation a little over a year ago. I must have went through no less than 10 different anteannas. Channel Masters, silver sensors, Radio Shack, in the attic, on the roof, you name it. Know what finally did it for me? I got an extensio mast and moved my antenna up about six feet higher. I haven't had a single problem since then. I tell you, I was close to throwing in the towel. I would strongly suggest that if there is any way for you to move your antenna up a little higher, give that a shot. And if you are using an external antenna, please make sure that you are grounding it properly. Remember, we get a lot of thunderstorms here.

Skip

Well Im in an apartment, so Im very limited as far as antennas are concerned. Im not exactly sure what else we can do yet.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page