Jacksonville, FL - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 4512 Old 03-22-2004, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gentlemen, Start your PBS HDTV engines! In response to my brief inquiry, Rick Johnson, WJCT Programming announced the following:

Dear Mr. Moody - Thanks for your message. WJCT -DT will begin broadcasting a daily 8:00pm to 2:00am block of HD programming on Monday, April 5. Schedule information is available at the following web address.

http://www.pbs.org/tvschedules/tvschedules_hd.html

Rick Johnson
WJCT Programming

Hokie56

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4512 Old 03-22-2004, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's great -- I am looking forward to PBS as another source of HDTV in Jax.

Thanks Ross

By the way doesn't anyone have a Pronto TS1000 here in Jax??

Jeff
post #453 of 4512 Old 03-22-2004, 03:24 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Ross Moody
Gentlemen, Start your PBS HDTV engines! In response to my brief inquiry, Rick Johnson, WJCT Programming announced the following:

Dear Mr. Moody - Thanks for your message. WJCT -DT will begin broadcasting a daily 8:00pm to 2:00am block of HD programming on Monday, April 5. Schedule information is available at the following web address.

Rick Johnson
WJCT Programming

Finally!

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #454 of 4512 Old 03-22-2004, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's great news. Back in Detroit I thought some of the PBS material on the demo loop and Smart Travels was some of the most detailed HD I'd ever seen.

It was great for showing off your system.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #455 of 4512 Old 03-22-2004, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Well, it was brief---but close to 9:30 tonight 7-1 was testing the HD stream. Saw just a bit of the "American Experience". Then it was back to the telethon. What I saw looked really promising!
post #456 of 4512 Old 03-23-2004, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Ross Moody

Rick Johnson
WJCT Programming

Great news, thank you, Ross.
post #457 of 4512 Old 03-31-2004, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Just thought I would check in -- is everyone still alive or is everyone employed by some accountant that is swamped by Tax Season??

Looking forward to April 5 -- PBS in HD in Jax -- I hope they "flip" the switch

Jeff
post #458 of 4512 Old 04-01-2004, 06:22 AM

Anyone have suggestions for indoor antenna for my home at Sothside Blvd. and Baymeadow Rd. AntennaWeb says I'm around 5 miles from the antenna farm (either 356 or 4 degrees) directly south. I've read all the threads on the Silver Sensor and Natalies thread on the RS UHF/VHF/HDTV indoor and was wondering if anyone has had luck down here at S'side and B'Meadows.

I've got an old outdoor antenna up in the attic and have had marginal results. Thought I'd try an indoor for sake of convenience. I know I'd be better off mouning on a mast on my chimney but wow what a lot of work for being so close to the farm.

BTW, I'm back to trying the OTA, even though I've got the ComCast HD package, cause my HD Tivo s/b here in about a week. Since it's an DirectTV unit I've got to go back to OTA HD for locals.

Thanks for any info,
Victor
post #459 of 4512 Old 04-01-2004, 06:24 AM

I too can't wait for PBS in HD !!
post #460 of 4512 Old 04-01-2004, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Victor, I can't speak for Southside, but if I were you I would "Test" out different Indoor antennas and make sure that the store you purchased them from has a liberal return policy. Most of them do. Circuit City and Sears have the Silver Sensor if I remember correctly and of course there is Radio Shack.

I was looking into upgrading my Home Depot - 60" UHF/VHF antenna (on a 25' mast) to something better built (I just can't get WB - from northside of Doctor's Lake) -- Has anyone checked out one of the AVS's sponsors -- http://www.antennasdirect.com/

The problem is returning an antenna that only marginally improves or decreases your reception is a pain.

Anyone know of a local retailer with better quality antennas.

Also since we only have 2 channels that are VHF (NBC/ABC - 10/13) has anyone been able to recieve them with a UHF only antenna like the Silver Sensor? The reason I ask in the webpage (see above) mentions that their UHF only antennas should be able to receive the higher end VHF channels

Jeff
post #461 of 4512 Old 04-01-2004, 07:49 AM

Victor,

I'm a little farther south, near US1 and Old St Augustine Rd so I am about 8-10 miles from the tower and I use a Jensen TV640 (rabbit ear) (BBuy about $20 if I recall) and I get a pretty good signal (my estimation because I have an HTL-HD receiver without the firmaware upgrade..grrrrrrr) anyway don't have to adjust position of antenna hardly at all and the only "local" channel I have not been able to aquire is WUFT in Gainesville, all the JAX Digi channels come in with very little apparent signal loss.

Ogre

You may be right -
I may be crazy -
But I just might be the lunatic you're lookin' for
B. Joel
post #462 of 4512 Old 04-01-2004, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Victor, I live in Deercreek, so I am actually a little further away from the antenna farm than you. I use an indoor Jensen TV940A antenna, and I have had good receptions for all our local channels. It is amplified, with remote control, and can memorize 99 different combinations. I think I paid about $70 for it. Here is a link to Jensen: http://www.jensen.com/home_electroni...6&CategoryID=2
post #463 of 4512 Old 04-01-2004, 03:56 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Jerry,

Is WTEV-DT going to carry the Thursday and Friday hd coverage of the Masters? In the programming forum, there is a press release which states that CBS digital stations will have access to the hd Thursday and Friday coverage. I don't remember if you guys did it last year.

post #464 of 4512 Old 04-01-2004, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Familyman, I'm very near you. I use a 25 yr old rabbit ears, no uhf loop, with the rods as horizontal as I can get them and collapsed to about 13 inches each. Get perfect reception on ABC & CBS. NBC is usually good, but occasionally drops out. Might be a problem with them. Funny, NBC is VHF.
post #465 of 4512 Old 04-02-2004, 05:34 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I ended up trying a Radio Shack 15-1870 @$40.00. It's not listed on their web site but the San Jose store had it along with 3 other "HDTV" models ranging from $20 - $60. It has some interesting features, most notably, a small motor which turns the rabbit ears and bowtie to different positions and then you can store the positions in memory. You can then recall the memory position with a remote (as long as you have a learning capable remote). It also has an external cable input that the unit will switch to if you turn the power off. Pretty handy.

I pulled out my Sony 52" RPTV and hooked it up and set the antenna on top of the TV and got the following stations at 9 or 10 bars signal strength (out of 10):

Call Sign...Channel...Network....My Channel

WTEV........19.1.........CBS.........47.1 & 19.1
WTLV........12.1.........NBC.........13.1
WJXT...........4.1.........IND..........4.1 & 4.2
WJCT.........38.1.........PBS..........7.1. 7.2, 7.3 & 7.4
WJEB.........44.1.........TBN
WJXX.........25.1.........ABC
WAWS.......32.1.........FOX
WJWB........17.1.........WB

I had to quit before pulling in (or trying to) the other stations. Unfortunately, when I rolled my Sony back into its normal position ( I had rolled it out about 2 feet to hook up the antenna) I lost all signals but NBC. That's how sensitive antenna position is. I'll keep trying and repost over the weekend.

BTW, re the Masters check out the post here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=374596

CBS is really stepping up to the plate for HD sports coverage - way to go CBS.
post #466 of 4512 Old 04-02-2004, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone catch Nova last night at 11:00 PM on 7-1? Actually in HD. Bug in the lower right corner read WJCT-DT HD. ...and no, this isn't a day old April Fool's joke!
post #467 of 4512 Old 04-02-2004, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Jerry, we have not been receiving the program guide information (PSIP?) from 47-1 for awhile now. Did they stop sending the information from the network? Thanks, pspun.
post #468 of 4512 Old 04-02-2004, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I am getting the program guide information.

I have a Hughes e-86 and I have noticed that after a household power interruption, I have to do a forced download of the program guide to restore. May not be the solution for you, but that is what restores it for me.
post #469 of 4512 Old 04-02-2004, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by petergaryr
Anyone catch Nova last night at 11:00 PM on 7-1? Actually in HD. Bug in the lower right corner read WJCT-DT HD. ...and no, this isn't a day old April Fool's joke!

Yes, except I saw it at 8 PM. Chasing Tornado's. I did not expect them to start until 5 April. They must be ready to roll and "flipped the switch").

Hokie56

post #470 of 4512 Old 04-02-2004, 11:09 AM

I read a press release on Titan that said IN-HD would carry coverage of the Masters on Thursday and Friday. It said they reached an agreement with the USA Network.

Quote:

Originally posted by AFH
Jerry,

Is WTEV-DT going to carry the Thursday and Friday hd coverage of the Masters? In the programming forum, there is a press release which states that CBS digital stations will have access to the hd Thursday and Friday coverage. I don't remember if you guys did it last year.

post #471 of 4512 Old 04-02-2004, 03:47 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DR Jax
I read a press release on Titan that said IN-HD would carry coverage of the Masters on Thursday and Friday. It said they reached an agreement with the USA Network.

I saw that to over the programming forum. I have Direct and an ota antenna so I don't get INHD. CBS is carrying the hd coverage for Thurs and Fri on the digital CBS stations. Jerry, if you're out there can you tell us what WTEV-DT is planning to do for the Thurs and Fri coverage?

post #472 of 4512 Old 04-02-2004, 03:51 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by petergaryr

I thought PBS digital stations were broadcasting hd programming 24-7 instead of the normal programming that you see on the analog station. I saw your post above and I just checked 7-1 and 7-3 and it was showing the same programming as the sd station. Guess we have to wait until Monday. Maybe they were testing last night.

New PBS HD plans for 2004

post #473 of 4512 Old 04-02-2004, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AFH
Jerry,

No, just like last year, we cannot carry it. We don't have the capability to carry a different program on DT than the one we have on analog.

Jerry
post #474 of 4512 Old 04-02-2004, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pspun
Jerry, we have not been receiving the program guide information (PSIP?) from 47-1 for awhile now. Did they stop sending the information from the network? Thanks, pspun.

It was not from the network, but our station decided to no longer subscribe to that service. Probably when more viewers are out there, we'll renew our subscription.

Jerry
post #475 of 4512 Old 04-05-2004, 05:27 PM

Well PBS came on my TV In HD at 7PM and bad. Freezing and blocks eveywhere. It was doing that on non-HD around 6PM. Hope they get it worked out.

Hokie56

post #476 of 4512 Old 04-05-2004, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

PBS looks good here -- So what is the plan for PBS?? I noticed that their analog channel is running one program and that their subchannels (7-3 and 7-4) are blank -- since the HD is diferent programming for the analog channel the guide info is all messed up. I wonder if WJCT will adobt the new programming (HD that is) or both with the use of subchannels???

Smitty where are??

Jeff
post #477 of 4512 Old 04-05-2004, 06:40 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

PBS hd looks good from where I am at. I put it on at about 8:30pm and realized that it was in hd. When I turned on PBS hd on at 5:30pm they weren't showing the hd programming. I noticed the thing about the subchannels. Maybe they are trying to resolve some type of issue. I am looking at the hd schedule on PBS's website and the programming on the hd channel is broadcast all day and it is suppose to vary from what is on the analog station. I wonder if WCTV-DT will broadcast the whole hd schedule all day tommorow instead of the partial schedule?

post #478 of 4512 Old 04-05-2004, 07:14 PM

Wow, PBS looks good in HD. Right now they are also doing 5.1 sound. Sweet! Good job PBS. Pictures are great. They have a special on Christ now. 9pm.

Thanks PBS.
post #479 of 4512 Old 04-05-2004, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow 5.1 from a local affiliate in Jacksonville - I am very impressed. I guess I should up my donation this year. Thanks Smitty

Jeff
post #480 of 4512 Old 04-05-2004, 08:28 PM

Great Job PBS, great picture and 5.1 sounds great job. Now if could get the rest to do surround sound.

Tomorrow is another Day
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page