Jacksonville, FL - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4507 Old 06-09-2004, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don... I hope you're right in your opinion about WJXT; they were always a good station in Jax. I don't recall if the all equipment they were using to pass along the CBS HD feed was theirs or belonged to CBS or some other station. Obviously they have some of that equipment since they are still broadcasting digital 4-1 and 4-2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4507 Old 06-09-2004, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I believe the problem with ABC and the finals and hockey Stanley cup has something to do with this (see thread below)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=2

Jeff
post #723 of 4507 Old 06-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone been able to get 25-1 and 12-1 in strongly lately? I read back in this thread that these stations have been transmitting weakly compared to what they used to do. Has the strength come back for anyone?

Gator99 - How is the signal strength for you on these two channels? Mine is EXTREMELY weak, causing a lot of breakups. The NBA Finals game last night on ABC was pretty much unwatchable. I went up in the attic and tried to adjust the antenna, but couldn't get anything higher than 35 - 40ish.

These channels used to come in at 100%, and I hadn't moved the antenna or anything....

Suggestions anyone?
post #724 of 4507 Old 06-14-2004, 04:15 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by acribb
Has anyone been able to get 25-1 and 12-1 in strongly lately? I read back in this thread that these stations have been transmitting weakly compared to what they used to do. Has the strength come back for anyone?

Gator99 - How is the signal strength for you on these two channels? Mine is EXTREMELY weak, causing a lot of breakups. The NBA Finals game last night on ABC was pretty much unwatchable. I went up in the attic and tried to adjust the antenna, but couldn't get anything higher than 35 - 40ish.

These channels used to come in at 100%, and I hadn't moved the antenna or anything....

Suggestions anyone?

I haven't looked at my signal strength for those stations, but they come in without any breakups. Now last night was a diff story. Around the end of the 3rd period of the basketball game last night, the pic began to breakup every 3 to 5 minutes all the way through the end the game. I don;t know if it was the rain that caused it or if it was our local affil problem. Maybe they are messing with the signal.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #725 of 4507 Old 06-15-2004, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I am still having issues with the signal strenth on ABC/NBC -- has anyone contacted Bishop or Ken at First Coast News??

Jeff
post #726 of 4507 Old 06-15-2004, 02:10 PM

I called engineering at ABC 25-1/NBC12-1.They told me the transmitting tower was hit by lightning.The digital signal is being sent at 25%-50% power.This causes the glitching.It will be repaired when the tower crew gets here in about 1 week or two.The blurriness you see is because the have not adjusted or replaced the ABC Harris HD decoder.I hope this answers some of your questions.
post #727 of 4507 Old 06-15-2004, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have not had any reception problems with ABC the past few nights (I have not watched NBC lately). I will check the signal strength tonight when I watch the NBA Finals.

PS
post #728 of 4507 Old 06-15-2004, 05:09 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Is anyone getting Fox Widescreen 30-1 tonight? I am not getting any signal. Last night I was able to watch a show in widescreen on Fox last night.

post #729 of 4507 Old 06-16-2004, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Fox was apparently off the air last night. I was reading 0 signal strength.
post #730 of 4507 Old 06-16-2004, 03:50 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by petergaryr
Fox was apparently off the air last night. I was reading 0 signal strength.

Thanks, I was also getting 0 signal.

post #731 of 4507 Old 06-16-2004, 05:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Does anyone think to ask- Why all these problems with the digital signal and yet the analog just keeps on "old reliable" never goes down and when they do experience technical difficulties, it is fixed in 10 minutes or less? None of this crap- "we got struck with lightning and when the tower crew arrives in a week or so we will be back up" Sorry, but I don't buy it! Good thing someone called because otherwise I'll bet they didn't know there was a problem.
Cynic hat on!
post #732 of 4507 Old 06-16-2004, 09:56 AM

Thats one thing that is nice about having Comcast HDTV. No need to worry about signal strength.

I sent email to Comcast about Fox and WB programming as well as Discovery (before the AVS Announcement)

The CSR (take it with a grain of salt) said very soon on Discovery (was right)

close on Fox (this I can believe)

nothing on WB.

I just asked about NFLNetwork as well due to the fact that the Jaguars are going to be on the "Hard Knocks" series on NFLNetwork. We'll see what the answer is.
post #733 of 4507 Old 06-16-2004, 05:06 PM

[quote]Originally posted by jandar
[b]Thats one thing that is nice about having Comcast HDTV. No need to worry about signal strength.

Jandar, I also have Comcast digital cable and receive ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, ESPN and INHD 1and 2 High Definition channels. I was issued the Motorola DCT5100 HDTV STB. It of course has no signal strength meter. If it did I'd bet that when tuned to the PBS channel (174 WJCT) it would fluctuate from 0-50 or some number at such a violent frequency that the meter would burn out in 24 hours. PBS-HD is the most inconsistent HD channel that we receive. The pixelation, dropouts of both audio and video during prime time make it totally un-watchable. There have been rare occasions when we watched 2 consecutive hours of beautiful almost technically perfect video and audio HD. Unfortunately, you never know when these are coming. If I were asked to rate the Comcast PBS technical delivery of HD programming in Jacksonville, FL., I would say inconsistent. That is if I were in a good mood. In a bad mood, TERRIBLE.
What has been your experience with PBS-HD on Comcast cable?

Hokie56

post #734 of 4507 Old 06-16-2004, 06:35 PM

Ross, I have the same problem with PBS that you have so I assume all of us that have Comcast see the same problems. I agree when they do it correctly its great, but most of the time it is unwatchable. The other thing the program on never matches what the TV guide on the screen says. The shows listed in the paper are on the analog PBS station, but not the digital one.

On a side note has anyone received at 6208 yet? I wonder when they are going to roll them and the 6408 out. Next week would be great.

Tomorrow is another Day
post #735 of 4507 Old 06-17-2004, 07:44 AM

I went to a Suns Baseball game this past saturday, and I was in a group that had rented one of the skydecks at the park. From the back rail in the skydeck area, I was able to look down onto the top of the Amsterdam Sky Cafe, and guess what....

They've got a huge OTA antenna installed on the center of their roof, and it's pointing Backwards. The UHF elements are pointing towards Georgia. There's a professional installation for you!!

--Bill
post #736 of 4507 Old 06-17-2004, 02:04 PM

[quote]Originally posted by ghjaxman
[b]Ross, I have the same problem with PBS that you have so I assume all of us that have Comcast see the same problems.

Thanks for feedback. I assumed I was not the "Lone Ranger". When I call Comcast to complain, they put me on hold, then come back on the phone stating that it's doing the same at the call in location. Their solution is a $0.56 credit to my bill. Bummer!

Hokie56

post #737 of 4507 Old 06-17-2004, 02:29 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

JERRY, are you out there? Have the had the splicer for WAWS-DT installed yet? Due tell, I am dying for info seeing as though all of the other affils are getting there installs completed.

post #738 of 4507 Old 06-21-2004, 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AFH
JERRY, are you out there? Have the had the splicer for WAWS-DT installed yet? Due tell, I am dying for info seeing as though all of the other affils are getting there installs completed.

Jerry, I also would like a status report. If you are too busy, why not appoint a PR person in your office to keep us informed?

Hokie56

post #739 of 4507 Old 06-21-2004, 02:26 PM

Any news on when Discovery on Comcast will be available in Jax? Channel number? Also, any news on the PVR HDTV comcast box coming out this summer?
post #740 of 4507 Old 06-21-2004, 02:42 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

I contacted a engineer by the name of Doug over at WAWS and I asked hime when they would have the splicer installed? He informed me that Fox had not sent them the equipment yet, but that he hopes to have it by the end of the summer. I find it weird that markets smaller than ours have already gotten their equipment installed and we have gotten ours yet.

post #741 of 4507 Old 06-21-2004, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Did you by chance happen to ask about UPN? Does Fox/WAWS have any way to pass thru Enterprise in HD?

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #742 of 4507 Old 06-21-2004, 03:50 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by trbarry
Did you by chance happen to ask about UPN? Does Fox/WAWS have any way to pass thru Enterprise in HD?

- Tom

No I didn't ask about UPN. I don't know of any way for WAWS to pass thru UPN hd signals. Also, the hd recving euip for Fox will be diff than what it is for UPN. So at this point I wouldn't highly doubt it.

post #743 of 4507 Old 06-22-2004, 09:12 AM

It's simple.

[rant=on]
Jax is still backwater country. Combine that with ClearChannel ownership. Means us the end user gets screwed.

(yes, Im born and raised in Jax, so I can complain)

anyway, I plan on bad mouthing Clearchannel and FOX each and every moment I get if they wait until the end of summer for upgrades.

Shame that the station that will air the SuperBowl here in Jacksonville is dragging it's arse in regards to getting HDTV for the same market.

POOEY on Clearchannel and FOX.
[rant=off]

Im waiting on DiscoveryHD as well patiently.

PBS is giving some issues during the day, at night (after 9PM) it is pretty much good to go. The IQ is nice!

Be nice to have WB in HD, since even those with Antennas are hit and miss with that station.

- Jack
post #744 of 4507 Old 06-22-2004, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Jack and others, as I respect anyone's rants/beefs/complaints about Jacksonville stations/ownership, but all of you might have noticed it sure has been quiet around here (Jerry - Fox/CBS, Smitty - PBS)?? Not to mention NBC/ABC or WB ever chimes in - and they are aware this forum and others exist.

We might want to take a step back and look at this from those guys (Smitty/Jerry others at our local stations)perspectives, the bashing that goes on is something that these guys cannot necasarily help us with and in the past they have been very helpful and their information is something I think we all appreciated - I don't speak for them but I can assume as you berate their companies you are really berating them (some might think they are being touchy, but that is there prerogative)

Deep breath everybody, better things are sure to come here in Jacksonville at least I hope so - considering it is not entirely that bad to begin with.

NOTE: I don't work with any local/national station and I too have complained in the past so I am certainly not above anyone else here, just thought I would point out that our local connections certainly are dwindling.

Jeff
post #745 of 4507 Old 06-22-2004, 02:49 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

I haven't seen that many complaints but it is helpful when those at the stations do reply.

Jack, I don't know what kind of day you're having but I hope that it gets better. The Jacksonville area is not backwater, maybe your train of thought needs to evolve to a higher level and remember there are about 20,000 people a year waiting to replace you. People with your attitude will bring any city down and you probably wouldn't be satisfied if you lived in Paris along La Seine in a two bedroom flat eating cavair and drinking Krug Champagne. Don't get it twisted by bad mouthing this metro area just b/c you don't understand something or are unsatisfied with something. And I was born and raised here and I have lived in other areas (Tally and Miami), traveled to other areas and so I bring some perspective to the table that 'jaded' people may not bring. You have it damn good here and it's about time that 'jaded' folks begin to understand and appreciate that. I am gonna rep this city anytime I get a chance and there are others that you don't know of (unless you read various paper, NY Time, ST Pete Times, Folio) that are doing the same thing. Stop being mad at this city and enjoy it b/c your attitude will certainly change.

I know that my rant was ot but I had to go off b/c your statement was down right crazy.

The hd coverage in this market is damn good. I don't know how you are getting your hd, but what I'm getting here does not leave me feeling screwed. In fact it leaves me more satisfied. I feel safe in saying that most of the hd users here don't feel like their getting screwed. Yes you can complain, but I hope you have something legit to complain about instead of complaining for the hell of it.

Yelling at Fox and CC isn't going to do a damn thing. Some markets larger than ours don't even have FOX WS. It will happen when it happens and not before then. PBS ota is fine before and after 9pm and I am getting the WB just fine and will be watching Summerland in hd tonight, so all in all it's all good. If you're having problems you need to complain to Comcrap err Comcast.

Enjoy your hd, life and this city and try to have a better day. Otherwise, go to some other backwater city and complain.

post #746 of 4507 Old 06-22-2004, 03:59 PM

Im not ranting on the guys who actually do the work. Im going off on the purse keepers at those said companies.

My complaints are still valid.

WB has a piss poor signal spread. It basically spreads south, west, east, north, in a clover shaped form. Leaving SW, NW, SE, NE outta luck. ASk anyone who lives SE of the Southside towers. Its damn near impossible to get it OTA.

Clear Channel - I plain out detest. Its ruined radio and now is trying to ruin TV.

Im not concerned with new neighbors, Ive watched houses sell in my neighborhood for 40K more than the owner paid last year. New residents can be a good thing.

Im not mad at the City. We are a hidden gem still. It just that most media companies ignore this market, we still have the backwater stigma associated with us regardless of how good we try to make things.

You would think that FOX would want to make sure that its market in the Superbowl city would be good to go, since they are airing the SB this year.

We are lucky to have the HD that we do, but our HD is still weak. How many 5.1 HD stations do we have?
post #747 of 4507 Old 06-22-2004, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

"I'm Antonio and I do not approve of this message."

Well I sure do, Antonio.

I've lived all over the country, California- Alaska, NY, PA, Texas but I have been living here now for 24 years because it is the best! I still travel to NYC about every 6-8 weeks which is a reminder why I don't live there anymore. Antonio- I have found that most, nearly all, the people I have met who bad mouth this fine city, are those who have lived here all their lives and have never lived anywhere else. So, I forgive them as they know not what they speak!

But, having said that one must admit that the stations around here are all operating under a "me too" philosophy. I knew back during the Olympics that when WTLV did the first HDTV here in Jax that all the other stations would be chomping at the bit to be there too. It didn't take them long and the digital - HDTV era arived here in town. Now, the next phase is when the stations all begin to move toward recognizing their digital channels must make a difference. The difference in that they sell the channel for advertising. They promote the channel on the analog and request and explain why the people need to make the move. Currently they do not acknowledge the HDTV advantage on a regular basis. Then and only then will they make engineering fixes in a timely manner, as they do now with their analog channel. The reason we see so many problems with their digital stations is simply because the people who run the equipment at the stations just don't give the digital and HDTV the same concern, attention, and budget as they do the analog side. Digital to them is just some additional annoyance they have to cope with while they operate the analog channel. All the stations think this way.
post #748 of 4507 Old 06-22-2004, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We moved here from Michigan over 24 years earlier, and we love it here. We actually hope nobody else in the country find out how good it is here in Jax, so we don't have the big city problem that we are starting to have. As far as HD broadcast, I think we are doing pretty well comparing with many others. We just came back from a visit to my son in Daly City (just south of San Francisco). He can't get HD NBC over the air because he lives on the wrong side of the hill. Anyway, one thing we definitely need is 5.1. Hopefully, local stations will soon find the funds for the equipments to pass the 5.1 audio to us. Jerry has been really good at answering our questions. I don't know if he is on vacation or what. Jerry, I hope you are doing okay!

PS
post #749 of 4507 Old 06-22-2004, 04:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Agreed, that 5.1 is nice but also comes with some bad as well. Just having 5.1 encoding doesn't mean that the sound was mixed for 5.1. This is the biggest myth floating about today. Very little 5.1 is actually mixed for it. I recall sitting with several forum members and Bob Ross of CBS discussing how to place the sound for the superbowl. When a question was asked about the other CBS programming, the comment was that it was just a simulated 5 ch mix from stereo source. But, we have to have the capability before we even can get the 5.1 on the few channels actually broadcasting it.
post #750 of 4507 Old 06-22-2004, 06:22 PM

I lived in quite a few places and spent better part of two years working out of town 5-6 days a week.

Let me rephrase something:
Jacksonville itself is not a backwater city. Its just a lot of companies still treat us as such. Last to get a lot of things.

We shocked the football world and national media twice by landing the Jags and now the upcoming Superbowl.

The best HDTV channel here is PBS. Nice sound, good signal and they even seem to have fixed the broadcast to actually play whats on the analog at the same time!!!

Try as I might, I never could get WB to come in decently out here with OTA. I know quite a few people are the same. Its frustrating. They are passing a signal, but its not enough to pickup and we have no natural barriers (mountains) like a lot of other areas. Has anyone spoken with a WB engineer?

Without the stations broadcasting HD and 5.1, the programs wont come that way. The availibility needs to be there first for the programmers.

With Comcast, I am happy with the HD package. CBS, PBS, NBC, ABC, InHD1, InHD2, ESPN-HD, Sho-HD, Cinemax-HD, HBOHD, StarzHD. Discovery HD should be on any time. Thats a nice HD lineup.

What I complain about mainly is why don't we hear anything from FOX? It just seems like they don't care at all about HD locally (excluding the engineers, although they seem to be kept in the dark about a lot of things). They don't seem like they are concerned with HDTV at all even though it basically being handed to them by FOX with that splicer technology.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page