Jacksonville, FL - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4511 Old 12-06-2003, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank God. I thought my hearing was going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4511 Old 12-06-2003, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NO HD on CBS SEC Game, has anyone called yet??

Jeff
post #93 of 4511 Old 12-06-2003, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Gator99
NO HD on CBS SEC Game, has anyone called yet??

Someone must have called. It has been in HD for the past 30 minutes or so.
post #94 of 4511 Old 12-08-2003, 10:08 AM

Boy, I really hated Att cable before I got D*. Now that I have it along with HDTV with three normal receivers, I hear Comcast is offering local HDTV channels. I am currently having a D* problem with Sat. #1 crapping out. I've called and it will cost $70 to have a tech come out. I also have several problems receiving local HD channels from my 8-foot behemoth antenna in my attic. Here's my question...Why shouldn't I switch to comcast digital with the HD channels? I don't care if only my HD room has all of the channels. I simply won't have to pay extra every month for the receivers in those other rooms. Who is using comcast with the local HD channels? How is it? How much? Thanks
post #95 of 4511 Old 12-08-2003, 05:44 PM

Advance--

I agree with you that I also really hated AT&T before I had a chance to get my directv setup completed when I moved into my house, about a year ago. The Picture Quality was hideous. I don't know-- maybe they improved. (LOL)

What are the problems with your SAT1? if it's as simple as a bad LNB, then I've got an extra one of those for a non-phase3 dish in the attic as a spare. Have you isolated where the problem is on that?

Also-- What are your problems with the OTA reception? If I remember right-- you're down towards Fleming Island--is that right????

In reality, helping others to get through these issues is what this forum is all about.

--Bill
post #96 of 4511 Old 12-08-2003, 05:50 PM

has anyone else noticed a lot of breakup on fox tonight-- I'm getting a real bad signal, with picture freezes, blocks and loss of audio signal. I first noticed around 5, but I just checked back in on the 8:00 movie, and it's the same way.

This is the only channel that's showing any problems here. I've been watching the OTA digital channels all evening tonight.

--Bill
post #97 of 4511 Old 12-08-2003, 06:07 PM

Thanks. It is (was) Sat 1. It fixed itself when I came home. The Ota reception will probably be an ongoing problem. I simply can't get all the stations. If I adjust one way I'll lose one, if I adjust the other the same thing. But, if the quality of the pix is the same with Comcast - why deal with an antenna? Why not go with a product that gives you an easy (especially for wife) seamless fix? My annual contract is up Dec 17, I would appreciate input from anyone that has used Comcast HD. Thanks, ATM

Quote:
Originally posted by bmccrea
Advance--

I agree with you that I also really hated AT&T before I had a chance to get my directv setup completed when I moved into my house, about a year ago. The Picture Quality was hideous. I don't know-- maybe they improved. (LOL)

What are the problems with your SAT1? if it's as simple as a bad LNB, then I've got an extra one of those for a non-phase3 dish in the attic as a spare. Have you isolated where the problem is on that?

Also-- What are your problems with the OTA reception? If I remember right-- you're down towards Fleming Island--is that right????

In reality, helping others to get through these issues is what this forum is all about.

--Bill

post #98 of 4511 Old 12-08-2003, 06:11 PM

By the way regarding my previous post, I should add that my signal strength meter is pegged at 100 for the station. I have unplugged/ replugged my E86-- all to no avail. The cooling fan has been running continuously, and the receiver is cool to the touch.

--bill
post #99 of 4511 Old 12-08-2003, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Bill, I have been having issues with Fox lately - signal pegged at 100, but Fox is periodically breaking up/pixelating.

Advance, if my latest info is correct the only channel you will not get (at least digital) is Fox. Check out the PDF file I have attached.

Which brings me to that PDF, it probably needs to be updated. Anyone have anything to add??

Jeff
post #100 of 4511 Old 12-08-2003, 06:48 PM

Advance--

A couple questions before you decide to scrap the antenna for OTA digital channel reception.

1. where are you generally located?

2. what channel(s) do you lose if you adjust one angle VS. the channel(s) you lose if you adjust the other way?

3. What type of antenna are you using? (is it a UHF only? since you mentioned it's an 8 foot bohemoth-- I'm assuming it's a uhf/vhf combo. What's the make/model if possible)

4. (no offense implied for this one, but I've gotta ask) if it's a uhf/vhf combo, is the narrowest end of the antenna pointed at the antenna farm? (a couple years ago when I was living in South Carolina, I mounted my uhf/vhf antenna pointing exactly 180 deg of my stations and I was bitching about no signal-- when someone told me I was umm...well...quite embarrased(or something else). That's when I started learing a whole lot more about antennas and signal reception)

5. you mentioned that your antenna is in the attic. How high is it above the ceiling rafters?

6. How is it mounted in the attic?

7. if it's not already, is it possible to get it at least 4 or 5 ft. above the rafters?

8. what type of roofing material do you have--asphalt shingles or something else?

--Bill

(edit: added q 6&7)
post #101 of 4511 Old 12-09-2003, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been having problems with Fox for the last few weeks. The signal goes from 100 down to 0. Something has changed either with the station or our environment down in Fruit Cove. It used to hold steady at 100.
post #102 of 4511 Old 12-09-2003, 11:33 AM

Thanks. I'm in Eagle Harbor in Orange Park. WB is the culprit. I'll lose that channel by adjusting for a number of others. Channelmaster Model 3020, VHF/UHF/FM and it's 152". I have the narrow end pointing towards Jax. I mounted a Satellite U and dropped it from the highest peak. It's about 6 feet from the ceiling rafters. We have an asphalt shingle roof.

The bottom line is I don't mind switching to Comcast HD if its comparable quality to D*. I also would want similar quality as D* on the other channels. Honestly, I'm tired of having to unplug then plug my Samsung 160 by moving the tv, reaching behind... it's a pain and I shouldn't have to do that. Also, the weather knocked out a handful of times this summer/fall. So there really isn't any love loss if I don't keep D*, I just want to happy with Comcast if I do go with them. Thanks, ATM
post #103 of 4511 Old 12-09-2003, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

ATM, WB has been a problem for me and others as well on this side of Town (I live on the north side of Doctor's Lake, not too far north of you). I have been taking signal readings for WB (George B) for a month or so now and he is trying to work on the issue for us.

I am also having issues with Fox lately as well, just like Peter (Fruit Cove is basically due east from Doctor's lake) - I am not sure what is going on here, but I am going to have to tweak my antenna to see if I can get a "cleaner" signal.

ATM, as far as WB and Fox for that matter, as of the last time I was informed you will not get HD or EDTV from Comcast (currently). I could be wrong but someone with Comcast will have to speak to that.

ATM, why are you unplugging your Samsung and moving the TV, just curious.

Jeff
post #104 of 4511 Old 12-09-2003, 12:19 PM

It will have a black screen or lock up and the only way to get it to work is to unplug it. The on/off switch won't do anything. After plugging it back in it will reload everything.
post #105 of 4511 Old 12-09-2003, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

That is not a D* issue, but an issue with your Receiver, have you read the Samsung 160 topics. I haven't in quite a while, but if I were you I would replace that unit, did you buy it locally?

Jeff
post #106 of 4511 Old 12-09-2003, 03:30 PM

Problems with Fox in St.Augustine also.Many motion artifacts during their football game Sunday.I finally went to analog signal.
post #107 of 4511 Old 12-09-2003, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gator99
That is not a D* issue, but an issue with your Receiver, have you read the Samsung 160 topics. I haven't in quite a while, but if I were you I would replace that unit, did you buy it locally?

Have you seen that thread! It's a mile long. As long as the quality is great for HD, I'd rather go with Comcast where in the past I never had a problem with the box. The previous company's (att) customer service was awful, but the box never gave me a problem.
post #108 of 4511 Old 12-10-2003, 03:27 PM

No ABC passthrough of HD signal last night.I have not seen any ABC-HD for 2-3 Tuesday nights.
post #109 of 4511 Old 12-10-2003, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Quinton
No ABC passthrough of HD signal last night.I have not seen any ABC-HD for 2-3 Tuesday nights.

Yes, no HD on ABC, and FOX was breaking up even when my receiver was registering good reception for it. Jerry, what is going on with FOX? My guess is that you must have been receiving bad signals from the network.
post #110 of 4511 Old 12-10-2003, 06:40 PM

When I got home from work today, I watched about 10 minutes of King of the Hill on FOX--and I saw no breakups at all. I just returned from Bowling, and took another peek at the channel, and the widescreen network feed is looking good. Jerry--- was something wrong at the station???
post #111 of 4511 Old 12-11-2003, 06:44 AM

Hi Everyone,
First off I am sorry Don we did not get the HD online in November. We have had issues with the HD video server and editing station to trim shows after they have been recorded. We are also working out myriad issues with the interface to our automation system, the encoder we have is a relatively new product and the interfaces are still rough. I believe we finally have all the issues with the four streams nailed down. The noise reduction equipment has been upgraded in firm and software so those are back online, these were originally causing the lip sync issue. Is anyone having issues now with the four streams? We have finally added an FM engineer (we have been looking for 7 month's) to the engineering group, this has been a tremendous help in getting caught up to allow us to refocus on the HD delivery.
Well go-ahead, let me have it

Duane Smith
Engineering Manager
WJCT TV\\FM
100 Festival Park Avenue
Jacksonville, Florida 32202-1397

Smitty
post #112 of 4511 Old 12-11-2003, 07:14 PM

Did everyone see that this weeks Jags game is in HD on CBS? And since its not a home game it won't be blacked out!
post #113 of 4511 Old 12-13-2003, 09:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Well go-ahead, let me have it

Smitty-

What's with the stretching of your 4 sub channels so the image is distorted. People look short and fat. 4:3 is 4:3 and no getting around that on 480i What you guys are doing looks stupid.

Looking forward to the day you will be giving Jacksonville, HDTV from PBS.

Jerry- The glitch and beep are gone from the commercials now but the lip sync is getting worse. 19-2 is out about a half second, wether it be live from your studio, local commercials or network programming.
Is it my equipment? Don't have a problem with any other station. What's interesting is that the sound seems to be lagging the video
post #114 of 4511 Old 12-14-2003, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Don,

The 4 streams aren't stretched on my setup (Hughes e86, Mitusubishi 55809). They are coming through as 4:3. Not sure why there would be a difference between us.
post #115 of 4511 Old 12-14-2003, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Peter/Don/Smitty -- WJCT all 4 channels are stretched on my set (E-86 clone), lip sync is gone, but subchannel 4 is unwatchable - the quality of tape that you are broadcasting is terrible.

CBS - definately a bad lip sync issue - sometimes - more than ever before though

Jeff
post #116 of 4511 Old 12-14-2003, 09:14 AM

I'm getting bad lip sync on CBS also - which didn't seem to be there before this morning. Have only had my receiver (HTL-HD) set up for satelite since yesterday, but have been watching OTA since mid week. Using Jensen indoor (rabbit ear) antenna and am getting good reception (seemingly, since the HTL-HD doesn't have a signal meter) on all the local digital channels. Will be putting antenna in the attic soon.

Hopefully the audio sync won't affect my Jaguar watching. ;.)

You may be right -
I may be crazy -
But I just might be the lunatic you're lookin' for
B. Joel
post #117 of 4511 Old 12-14-2003, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome Ogregore, it seems that the lip sync problem has been isolated to the local feed and not national feed.

As I was typing this it looks like we lost the HD signal 1:07PM - that stinks -- oh well I guess they rebooted, it back in HD -- well maybe not

Jeff
post #118 of 4511 Old 12-14-2003, 10:13 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Gator,

When did the game go back to hd? The picture went out and a white field that you would see on Video Essentials came up and then the game came back on but it is in 4:3.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #119 of 4511 Old 12-14-2003, 10:15 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The game is back in hd now.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1