Jacksonville, FL - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man this sucks -- I'll bet you they will not have either game in HD tonight and probably will not have the Sugar bowl in HD -- I think everyone should give them a call and write Ken Tonning(Ktonning@firstcoastnews.com) and Bishop Ellisonv (biellison@wtlv.gannett.com) emails -- let them know we are here and displeased.

Newsroom phone number -- (904) 633-8808 News Dept -- (904) 633-8808 News Tips

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I found out the Saturday Playoff games on ABC were in HD I almost invited some friends over to show off how great football looks in HD.

I had a gut feeling our local ABC would likely not be up for the task of a reliable signal - guess I was right.

Or perhaps it is a national ABC feed problem - but in any event I, for one, would love to see the day when a HD program is something DEPENDABLE and not a "maybe it will work, maybe it won't" proposition.

The inconsistency does nothing to encourage any new adoptors to HD.

I know it is new technology but heck one would think by now the kinks would be ironed out.

My rant 'o the day

HD Hobbit

Maybe I need to use the power of The One Ring to get HD
post #183 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys we are now on the January/December thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=345271

Jeff
post #184 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 02:07 PM

When I found out the Saturday Playoff games on ABC were in HD I almost invited some friends over to show off how great football looks in HD.

I had a gut feeling our local ABC would likely not be up for the task of a reliable signal - guess I was right.

Or perhaps it is a national ABC feed problem - but in any event I, for one, would love to see the day when a HD program is something DEPENDABLE and not a "maybe it will work, maybe it won't" proposition.

The inconsistency does nothing to encourage any new adoptors to HD.

I know it is new technology but heck one would think by now the kinks would be ironed out.

My rant 'o the day

HD Hobbit

Maybe I need to use the power of The One Ring to get HD
post #185 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 02:12 PM

Well there doesn't seem to be a lot of chatter about no HD in the other city threads - so one would have to assume that this problem is limited to those of us lucky enough to be on the First Coast.

Ah - the sun the sand the no HD football.

You may be right -
I may be crazy -
But I just might be the lunatic you're lookin' for
B. Joel
post #186 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 02:20 PM

It is a bitter disappointment not to receive the game in HDTV. I sent them an email,just so they know that there are people out here looking for HDTV
post #187 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I sent another email to Ken and Bishop -- for a reference here is what I have sent them in the past and their response.

by the way I am trying to get the email address for the "upper" management at Gannett - the parent company of First Coast news (ABC/NBC) -- here is a webpage with their names, but no emails ---

http://www.gannett.com/map/management/gboc.html

I am guessing the bugs are still being worked out, but I am also guessing that since we are not receiving the Baltimore vs Tennessee Game in Hd we here in the First Coast will not be receiving the second game and probably not the Sugar Bowl in HD like the rest of the country. Very Disappointing.

I realize that 720p is not a common format but it is also not a uncommon format (ESPN utilizes the 720p format as well as a few others)

New technology or not, bugs in a system should never take this long to work out.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Ellison, Bishop [mailto:biellison@wtlv.gannett.com]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 1:40 PM
To: Jeffrey ; Ktonning@firstcoastnews.com
Subject: RE: ABC 25 - Digital Station 10 - Jacksonville,FL

Jeff,

Thank you for your comments about WJXX-DT, our ABC digital outlet in Jacksonville. WTLV-TV (analog NBC), WJXX-TV (analog ABC), WTLV-DT (digital NBC) and WJXX-DT (digital ABC) are all switched under automation control from our studios in Jacksonville. We employ a team of operators and engineers to monitor and oversee our technical operations. It their job to ensure that our transmissions comply with the FCC regulations and our internal technical standards. That function includes switching away from a source that does not meet those standards.

As you so correctly noted, HDTV is a new technology and as such, the reliability and stability of network transmissions is not as good as we see in the analog world. ABC is the only network to use the 720 progressive HD standard and more development work has been put into the more popular 1080 interlaced standard. As we have worked to resolve the HD issues, we have noticed that the ABC HD transmission is more prone to failure than the NBC HD feed. Also, remote or live telecasts such as parades and football present more challenges than in-studio, taped events. That is not to say that taped event do not have problems from time to time, but it seems that live events are more susceptible to failures.

In the event of an HD feed error, our operators will switch to a SD feed of the program rather that have the HD feed fail on the air. That is why some programs are not passed through. It is not that they "forget to flip the switch" or are not paying attention, they are attempting to provide our viewers with the best picture and sound available at the time.

We are working with all the parties to resolve the issues with HD including ABC, NBC, the transmission equipment manufacturers, encoding equipment manufactures and transmitter equipment manufacturers. We have already resolved a number of issues and are hopeful that new software releases to be installed this week will resolve most of the remaining instability issues in our HD circuit.

Let me assure you that we are committed to providing our viewers with the best HDTV experience possible and we are working daily toward
that goal.

Again, thank you for you comments.

Sincerely,

Bishop Ellison
Director of Technology / Operations
First Coast News

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 9:18 PM
To: bellison@firstcoastnews.com; Ktonning@firstcoastnews.com
Subject: ABC 25 - Digital Station 10 - Jacksonville,FL

Good Evening Gentlemen,

I thought I would write on the behalf of the many digital television viewers in Jacksonville and inform you of the less than stellar QA/QC(quaility assurance/control) that your ABC staff have been demonstrating for some time now. It seems that your staff is unaware when the national HD feed is being sent to them and thus they are unable to "flip" the switch from the regular (SD - standard definition) signal to the HD signal being sent to all affiliates that are capable of receiving said signal. Or your procedures to check the type of signal being broadcast from ABC(national) is not the best of process available?

There are many examples of this lack of HD pass through: Thanksgiving day during the midday programming hours the primetime shows were broadcast in HD( at least all affiliate with HD-capable stations) -- Friday evening primetime (11/28/03) was not broadcast either. Those are just the most recent examples but others are/can be noted.

I'll be the first to admit that my family are not avid viewers of ABC's primetime, but with the ability to watch and enjoy other channels HD offerings we are less likely to stop at ABC-DT while "surfing" for viewing material and thus unlikely to possible become one of those "avid" viewers that your sponsors like to reach.

We also understand HD/Digital Television is a newer technology and bugs need to be worked out, but if I recall correctly your fine station(actually NBC - Olympics, but you are co-owned) was one of the first to offer HD and digital TV but still have many more errors and omissions to your signal than I have seen with you many other competitors in Jacksonville.

Sincerely

Jeff

Jeff
post #188 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Well it looks like Roger Ogden(roger.ogden@9news.com) is Ken's boss:

maybe I should make him aware of these issues with our "First Coast stations"

http://www.9news.com/9listens/ro.htm

Jeff
post #189 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 03:31 PM

I did my duty and fired off the emails. This is really sad that they can't get their act together. Also from the other board I pretty sure that it is a local problem.

I also agree on the sound-picture differences. Just send the picture. I agree with others. We are probably out of luck on the other game and the Sugar Bowl. At least CBS won't let us down tomorrow.

Tomorrow is another Day
post #190 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 04:05 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I sent Ken Tonning an email about this same problem about a month ago. It had to be about a page long and I got not response from him. You call them and it seems as though they don't give a flying flip about the problem. It makes me wish that ABC didn't have playoff games in hd because our local affiliate is reliable. I probably wouldn't be wrong in assuming that we can expect to see this same problem with the Sugar Bowl tomorrow.

Jeff, I'm going to follow your lead and fire off an email to Tonning's boss. Maybe he will be able to persuade WJXX to fix their problems.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #191 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 04:49 PM

i just checked ABC's web site and yes the games are being broadcast in HD, our wonderful affiliate just is not broadcasting it! I wonder what the issue is? Dont blame faulty equipment, i've got folks in Baltimore and FLL who have HD and their recption w/ABC has been flawless, so dont let them feed you the ABC equipment nonsense, it might be lack of training or something else but it aint equipment IMHO.

Dont argue with fools. people from a distance cant tell who is who.
post #192 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 04:56 PM

and oh yea.....

Main phone number (switch board)
The phone number to the First Coast News switchboard is (904) 354-1212.

post #193 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 05:12 PM

man, this suxxors
post #194 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 05:14 PM

they just took a stab at passing the signal, the pic came through great, but sound was damn brutal, so they dropped it back to SD.

post #195 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 05:24 PM

I imagine there are quite a few new owners of HDTV's in Jacksonville since Christmas. Some are probably wondering if it was worth the price right now.
post #196 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 05:26 PM

I have a houseful, laughing at me right now...
post #197 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 05:36 PM

Hey, I just sent a email to Ken Amaro telling to do a consumer report on the lousy service in HD his station does. I also directed him to our thread. I wonder if they will do a story on their broadcast? Ha.

Tomorrow is another Day
post #198 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 05:40 PM

Looks like it is now working. Yahoo...

Tomorrow is another Day
post #199 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 05:40 PM

Looks like it might be fixed now. Don't know how long it will hold.
post #200 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 05:43 PM

Sweet !! Finally, let's hope it lasts.
post #201 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 05:44 PM

Ironic 'ain't' it - almost 5 quarters of football to go "CLICK" and it's working.

Oh well I guess I shouldn't look a gift HD in the mouth.

You may be right -
I may be crazy -
But I just might be the lunatic you're lookin' for
B. Joel
post #202 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 05:47 PM

I'm not getting any sound. Anybody else?
post #203 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 05:50 PM

Got It!
post #204 of 4510 Old 01-03-2004, 09:25 PM

yeah then it died

post #205 of 4510 Old 01-04-2004, 06:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Suggestion:

Everyone who is disgusted with our problems we have been suffering through with HD on local channels from network feeds should also send a letter of complaint to the FCC. Not just one but every time it happens. Make it a formal hard copy. Just print out your e-mail and send it to the FCC. Let the station CE and manager know you did this.

In addition- I would like everyone to request this of the FCC:

Please allow viewers the option of receiving National network feeds from DBS providers so we may bypass our local stations who just can't seem to rebroadcast the network feeds reliably. Currently there is a waiver process that prevents us from receiving the national feeds for HDTV but that waiver approval should be reversed. The station should be required for US the viewers, to get our permission to allow them to have our viewership. Finally, in order to make this work, all networks should be required to supply their HDTV feeds to the DBS providers without restriction.

Now I know that this sounds ridiculous to many but it would resolve our desire to see the network's HDTV programming without the local stations screwing it up. Additionally, it isn't like this hasn't been done before. For those who aren't aware, CBS is available in HDTV via DishNetwork to any waivered viewer anywhere in the country and to any viewer without waiver who lives in a CBS O&O market.

Flood the FCC with requests like the one above and one of two things will eventually happen-1. The local stations will get their act together and deliver flawless HDTV(most likely) 2. or the FCC will seriously consider deregulating the restriction hold the local stations have on our viewership and the restriction the DBS and networks have in forming a relationship like the one with CBS with all the networks but without waiver process.

I know it doesn't seem this way but the FCC (government)works for the people, not the local stations and big networks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #206 of 4510 Old 01-04-2004, 08:00 AM

I finally went outside and turned our antenna south and was lucky enough to get 9-1 from Orlando.It was a wonderful HD picture.The weather conditions were just right.I would not like to have to rely on that every time.It looks like my chat with Don Schnider was of no help.Sorry about that.
post #207 of 4510 Old 01-04-2004, 08:03 AM

According to my Timex, It took 40 minutes for ABC to get HD "on". I called the station about 8:15pm last night but only got voice mail. Sad... wonder if, or how long, to get it "on" for tonight's Sugar Bowl. ABC are you listening???

Hokie56

post #208 of 4510 Old 01-04-2004, 08:04 AM

I mean Bill Schnider.
post #209 of 4510 Old 01-04-2004, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Ross it was more than 40 minutes, they missed the first game completly, so tack on another 3+/- hours to it.

Jeff
post #210 of 4510 Old 01-04-2004, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sugar Bowl is looking pretty good in HD right now.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page