Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #271 of 10552 Old 04-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WYFF is coming in the same as always for me. Are you using a pre-amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 10552 Old 04-01-2004, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Re WYFF-DT

WYFF-DT usually is stable, but is line of sight for me. I receive two stations that change slightly with weather and neither are line of sight. The first is Greenville's DT-9 and this may be somewhat due to co-channel from Charlotte's TV-9; the other is DT-25 from Pisgah. It moves a bit on the horizon and sometimes requires a slight antenna adjustment as the seasons change and somewhat weather related. Since the station has been at full power, it is much more stable.
When I first installed a new antenna (4-bay Channel Master), I tried several places that were acted the same as your antenna...but I finally found a "sweet spot" and now I receive all stations with one orientation except for very unusual weather conditions. Give me a call on the phone sometime and lets discuss your location and problems.

JB - Asheville

post #273 of 10552 Old 04-01-2004, 02:43 PM

jb and Apps1 thanks for your replies. I dont have an amp. I may have a loose connection, its hard to tell as readings on other channels are so weird. I have a Silver Sensor indoor antenna which in one position gives a maximum reading on WLOS and nothing on WUNC and another WUNC is greater than WLOS.
post #274 of 10552 Old 04-07-2004, 08:07 PM

I just saw where Fox 21 is going to be off the air for a few hours for "equipment upgrades." Any idea if this is related to them putting out a HD or "faux HD"???
post #275 of 10552 Old 04-08-2004, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally posted by Fragman
I just saw where Fox 21 is going to be off the air for a few hours for "equipment upgrades." Any idea if this is related to them putting out a HD or "faux HD"???

I would bet it has to do with with their new analog transmitter install since they will have to uncouple the old transmitter from the antenna and couple in the new transmitter. Since the analog will be off the air, there isn't any need to have the DTV on at the same time serving such a small audience.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #276 of 10552 Old 04-08-2004, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

To all -- regarding HDTV growth.

This web address has recent information regarding the growth of HDTV:

http://www.instat.com/press.asp?ID=925&sku=IN0401241MB

I sent this information to both WLOS and WHNS (among others) in hopes of greating greater interest in joining the HD club. Mild interest was shown.

JB - Asheville

post #277 of 10552 Old 04-09-2004, 06:05 AM

Why is WHNS spending any money on analog equipment?
post #278 of 10552 Old 04-09-2004, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by enoree
Why is WHNS spending any money on analog equipment?

Simply, because the analog equipment pays the light bill to run the DTV transmitter. Also the analog transmitter that WHNS had was beyond its last leg and when analog ceases, the new transmitter can be converted to digital easily, something the old analog transmitter could never have done.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #279 of 10552 Old 04-19-2004, 10:26 AM

Is anyone else having problems with the audio on WSPA? During "Along Came a Spider" last night it was plauged with a hissing problem. Is it just me?
post #280 of 10552 Old 04-20-2004, 06:07 AM

Watched Still Standing last night, audio was really out of sync . Switched over to WBTV-DT, no sync problem at all, WSPA needs to work on the sync issue.
post #281 of 10552 Old 04-20-2004, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone else noticed a loss in signal strength from WYFF-DT?
post #282 of 10552 Old 04-20-2004, 06:48 AM

Yes, I'm getting a weaker signal for WYFF as well.
Also, WSPA has their audio issues again with that hiss and some lip synch problems as well.
post #283 of 10552 Old 05-06-2004, 12:56 PM

I live in Clemson and will be getting an HDTV in the summer. Does anybody know how the OTA transmission is with the local channels. Any recommendation on antennas, amps, etc? Thanks for your help.

TK
post #284 of 10552 Old 05-06-2004, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerKid
I live in Clemson and will be getting an HDTV in the summer. Does anybody know how the OTA transmission is with the local channels. Any recommendation on antennas, amps, etc? Thanks for your help.

TK

I am 15 miles west of you, on Lake Hartwell near Westminster.

I have a Channel Master 4228 about 12 feet above a two-storey building, at ground elevation of about 700 Ft.

I am using a Channel Master 7777 Preamp on the mast, and about 60 feet of RG-6.

I get "perfect" signals(80-100%) from WYFF, WSPA, WUNC, Good signals(~60%) from WLOS, and WHNS, a weaker(28-35%) but still usable signal from WASV, and, believe it or not since this is a UHF antenna, an acceptable signal(60-70%) from SC-ETV whose DTV is on Channel 9!!

I am very pleased with this combination.

Richard

By the way, I have a couple of antennas you can try if you want to borrow them. If you find something that works well, we can make a deal. I also have a couple of Radio Shack preamps you could try, but they are not up to the level of the Channel Master.

Richard
post #285 of 10552 Old 05-06-2004, 05:23 PM

Quote:

TK

I also live on Lake Hartwell in Clemson. I'm using a UHF only Winegard and CM 7777 preamp. My reception is decent for WYFF, and I get little on the other stations. WSPA dropouts out constantly. I live at the base of a large hill (cross the lake on the way to Daniel HS on the right), so I think that is my major problem. I have gone to Charter in hopes of getting locals in HD, but so far they only have NBCHD. Depending on your topography, I think you will be ok.

Wright
post #286 of 10552 Old 05-07-2004, 07:53 AM

Thanks guys for the advice. One thing that I forgot to add (and is a big one) is that I live in an apartment. I can't have anything on the roof, so the antennas that you were talking about wouldn't work for me. I wish I could cause that would solve any problems. I have been looking at the Terk TV55 (indoor/outdoor antenna) sold at BB, CC, and many others. I guess my question is this: Is there any antenna that can be mounted on a deck/porch or an indoor one that will work for the area? Will anything like that work or is it a given that I would need to have a Channel Master attached to the roof? Thanks.

TK
post #287 of 10552 Old 05-07-2004, 02:39 PM

I have had zero luck with indoor antennas around here. Check the return policy and try it out. Check out antennaweb.org and titantv.com for some other tips on choosing antennas. Good luck.

Wright
post #288 of 10552 Old 05-07-2004, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks guys for the advice. One thing that I forgot to add (and is a big one) is that I live in an apartment. I can't have anything on the roof, so the antennas that you were talking about wouldn't work for me. I wish I could cause that would solve any problems. I have been looking at the Terk TV55 (indoor/outdoor antenna) sold at BB, CC, and many others. I guess my question is this: Is there any antenna that can be mounted on a deck/porch or an indoor one that will work for the area? Will anything like that work or is it a given that I would need to have a Channel Master attached to the roof? Thanks.

TK

Federal law does allow apartment dwellers to have outside antennas. Check out this web page from the FCC to see what your rights are. It may surprise you want you can do. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

post #289 of 10552 Old 05-10-2004, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, need some help. My Silver Sensor works great inside for WSPA-DT only but is no good in the attic with a 100' run of RG6(still good for WSPA). My next step is a larger UHF antenna either in the attic or on the roof. I have not even sniffed WYFF, WLOS, or WHNS digital offerings but need to since now they are offering more with the Olympics, NFL, etc. I would really like to get all of these. What type of antenna do I need? Do I need a rotor or pre-amp? (what's the advantage of the pre-amp and does it need a power source?) I live in the Sugar Creek subdivision, zip 29650. thanks in advance.
post #290 of 10552 Old 05-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

calvinb- Check your pm's.
post #291 of 10552 Old 05-19-2004, 06:53 AM

Hey everyone,
Thanks to Voom, I'm now watching sat. and OTA HDTV in the Greenville area. Calvinb: I'm not far from Sugar Creek... I'm in River Downs myself. The Stealth antenna that came with Voom only got me WSPA and WNTV (PBS) so I got a silver sensor and with it just hooked up in the room, I'm getting digital WSPA/CBS, WYFF/NBC, WLOS/ABC, WHNS/Fox, and WASV/UPN but now I can't get PBS and neither gets WFBC/WB. I may try it in the attic next or go with a better outdoor antenna...I like that national PBS HiDef feed they're including, and I would like to try for the NC PBS as well...

Looking forward to further discussion & advancement of Digital/HDTV in the upstate and wnc areas!
post #292 of 10552 Old 05-19-2004, 01:21 PM

Is there any info out there about local channels becoming available in HD from Charter?

Any idea why we don't get Discovery HD?

Is it just me or does ESPN usually broadcast in 4:3?

I can't seem to get info from charter over the phone.
post #293 of 10552 Old 05-20-2004, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
KenCave, I am impressed that your Silver Sensor is picking up all those channels, especially WLOS-DT with its bad rap and all. I MUST be in a bad location for picking up those signals. I've tried the SS in the attic and even tried an amplified Phillips/Magnavox indoor antenna with no luck. Maybe its my Samsung 360 STB? I've got lots of hardwoods behind the house plus the house is brick so maybe I am just S.O.L. I guess I will be calling Channel Master and shimmying up on the roof soon. Anyone got any suggestions about model numbers for CM outdoor antennas? I am 25 miles from the WYFF transmitter, 31 miles from WHNS-DT, and 46 miles from WLOS. I WANT my HD signals.
post #294 of 10552 Old 05-20-2004, 07:58 AM

My house is at the top of a small hill and my HT is on the 2nd floor but.. There are lots of tall trees around and the house is brick as well. I don't have direct LOS to any towers b/c of the trees. My tuner is whatever's in the Voom STB by Motorola. Maybe I'm just lucky

:KenCave
post #295 of 10552 Old 05-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Calvinb- I have a roof mounted CM 4221 with a CM 7777 pre-amp and I pick up all channels.
post #296 of 10552 Old 05-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Oxb

Quote:

Originally posted by Spiked
Is there any info out there about local channels becoming available in HD from Charter?

Any idea why we don't get Discovery HD?

Is it just me or does ESPN usually broadcast in 4:3?

I can't seem to get info from charter over the phone.

It just so happens that I e-mailed Charter the following yesterday:

I subscribe to the HDTV offerings of Charter. I am aware that your company is trying to come to terms with WSPA in carrying their HDTV channel and that they want to extort channel space etc from you. I do hope that a favorable outcome can be reached with them and with WLOS and WHNS when they begin their HDTV broadcasts. I was wondering why you do not carry UNC-TV's HDTV. I can't imagine that they are preventing Charter from carrying their channel, but I could be wrong about that. Your (non canned ) response to my questions will be appreciated.

They responded with:

Thank you for contacting Charter Communications.

In order to carry the UNC-TV HDTV we would have to have an open channel. At this time we do not. We do hope to be able to add the broadcast channels you listed in the very near future. We do appreciate your comments/feedback as they do give us insight as to customer wants.

Thank you

Charter Communications
post #297 of 10552 Old 05-20-2004, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the update.

I did call again yesterday, and the girl told me if a local channel was broadcasting in HD, the lower, normally SD channel, would have the HD broadcast. Yeah right, I tried it anyway, but no dice as I expected.

It sounds like we'll just have to wait and see.
post #298 of 10552 Old 05-24-2004, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After a month in Washington DC, I found the sound for WSPA-DT was finally in sync...for one day. This weekend was probably the worst in the two years I have watched/listened. I don't see any recent comments here...have all of you given up trying to get the station to solve both the excessive loudness and the sync?

JB - Asheville

post #299 of 10552 Old 05-24-2004, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That's my biggest complaint with the local HD feeds - audio sync. Obviously WSPA is the worst, but the other networks are not great either. Even my wife notices the problem! I was flipping channels yesterday and one of the "lawyer type" shows was on a courtroom screen. The judge hit his gavel twice to call order and the sound was excruciatingly out of sync.

But heck, I've even switched over to the charter SD feed only to find the audio out of sync there too for those local channels.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #300 of 10552 Old 05-24-2004, 03:51 PM

Well,folks we are about a week away from the within 90 days that WLOS said it would have HD up and running. Does anyone have ANY doubt that the 90 days will come and go with nary an HD signal out of WLOS ?As for WSPA and the sync problem, I was told by one of their engineers that they have a box ordered that will fix this problem,they are not sure when they will get it yet, but it will be fixed when they get it.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List
tylerSC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page