Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #451 of 10552 Old 09-13-2004, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A source close to WLOS said at the last minute that the Benefactor was pulled from being aired in HD. ABC bascially gave him the shaft. Why? Who knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 10552 Old 09-13-2004, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Anyone know if MNF is in full HD? I'm still getting a letterboxed 4:3 image instead of a nice 16:9 screen. That suggests that they are simply inscaling the normal SD broadcast, but to be honest I haven't paid enough attention to know if MNF is broadcast in 16:9.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #453 of 10552 Old 09-13-2004, 06:11 PM

Its NOT HD. WOLO-DT Columbia IS HD, a full 16:9 720p picture.I guess that they are not yet geared up to pass the ABC HD thru at WLOS.
post #454 of 10552 Old 09-13-2004, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I just verified via the ABC website that the entire season of MNF IS being broadcast in HD, so I guess we aren't seeing the real thing yet. The sound is just 2.0 as well, not DD 5.1.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #455 of 10552 Old 09-13-2004, 06:31 PM

When you see the real thing on MNF it will look great , I'm watching it on WOLO since WLOS is not doing it in HD yet, I'm just lucky enough to live in Enoree, where I can get Columbia and Charlotte also.
post #456 of 10552 Old 09-13-2004, 07:51 PM

I'm sure the HD feed will look great next week . At least the upconvert looks better than the local channels feed on DirecTV. Now, if we can get WHNS to do the Sunday afternoon games, we'll be set.
post #457 of 10552 Old 09-14-2004, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is an address for the WHNS GM:

Stan Crumley
E-mail Address(es):
Stan.Crumley@foxcarolina.com

JB - Asheville

post #458 of 10552 Old 09-14-2004, 06:28 AM

So now that WLOS has their HD going, is there any word on when they'll crank up the power? I live in Taylors, have a tiny antenna, and have trees all over the place, so I'm kind of out of the loop until the boost their signal.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
- President Merkin Muffley
post #459 of 10552 Old 09-14-2004, 08:56 AM

I also got the 16 X 9 feed last night, but I still haven't seen any HD. MNF was just the 4 X 3 feed with grey bars on the side.
post #460 of 10552 Old 09-14-2004, 09:38 AM

Strangecock: I'm not sure what they're at right now, but you may not ever get it any better than it is right now. I couldn't pick them up until I put a DB4 on my roof with a rotor. Their tower is on Mt. Pisgah, about 35 miles from me. I'm about 6 mi north of Greer, so I'm not too far from you. There also could be an issue of being under the cliff edge, which means the mountains could be blocking some of the signal as well. Its just one of the downfalls of being in a "hyphened" market with your affiliates being in different cities. However, the FCC just changed their rules and digital transponders may not be too far down the road, so we might see one of those pop up in our area to help us out. Until then, you might consider upgrading your antenna system. Look at it this way: Some of us spend a hundred dollars for a set of Monster cables that gives minimal improvment, but neglect to spend a hundred dollars for a better antenna or a rotor that has drastic improvement. Go figure!
post #461 of 10552 Old 09-14-2004, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

dashaund

Did you really mean digital "transponders"...or did you mean translators. DirecTV has announced it will launch satellites for local to local HDTV/DT carriage next year. They seem assured of FCC approval. Meanwhile, I have been watching for info on use of translators for DT but have seen nothing...except for a test situation in Utah where translators have been used to make 100 mile jumps into small communities. I continue to be amazed at the UHF-DT signal advantages over analog.

JB - Asheville

post #462 of 10552 Old 09-14-2004, 12:02 PM

My mistake...I meant translators. True, the UHF-DT signal advantages do beat out analog. Interference has less effects on digital that analog. The key is to have a good receiver along with a good antenna system. I've had a couple of cheap digital receivers that made it a nightmare to receive more than two channels. My Hughes HTL-HD does an excellent job.
post #463 of 10552 Old 09-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

I got an e-mail from Jim Carrier at WLOS and he said thet have another power increase scheduled very soon.
post #464 of 10552 Old 09-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

I also asked when they would be passing along HD and he didn't answer that question.
post #465 of 10552 Old 09-14-2004, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is the answer I received from Jim:
ABC is HD is very near.
We increased power about a month ago. Will increase further in the near
future.

Jim

JB - Asheville

post #466 of 10552 Old 09-15-2004, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got off the phone with Charter, making arrangements for HD service. I asked about DVR service, and they said HD-DVRs should be rolled out in "a couple of weeks" -- I didn't ask about Moxi by name, but hopefully that's what we can look forward to. I was also told that CBS and Fox are part of the HD package now, and although I don't have the service to verify quite yet, I was under the impression that is not correct.
post #467 of 10552 Old 09-15-2004, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is a status report for WHNS/Fox
>>Our equipment is on order and should be here in about three to four weeks. Due to such a high demand on the equipment orders have been backed up. Our original goal was to have HD up and running by now. Our new goal will be to present HD in time (or earlier) for the World Series. We apologize for the delay but it has been out of our control.<<

Warmest regards,

Stan Crumley
Vice President- General Manager

JB - Asheville

post #468 of 10552 Old 09-15-2004, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is a status report for WHNS/Fox
>>Our equipment is on order and should be here in about three to four weeks. Due to such a high demand on the equipment orders have been backed up. Our original goal was to have HD up and running by now. Our new goal will be to present HD in time (or earlier) for the World Series. We apologize for the delay but it has been out of our control.<<

Warmest regards,

Stan Crumley
Vice President- General Manager

JB - Asheville

post #469 of 10552 Old 09-15-2004, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is a report from WSPA in answer to a request for HD status on cable.

<<We are not on any cable company with our DT signal at this time. <<

...as if you cable subscribers did not know that.

JB - Asheville

post #470 of 10552 Old 09-15-2004, 02:50 PM

Whew, that's great news from FOX. I had been hearing they wouldn't have it until the Super Bowl. The World Series is MUCH closer. One month from now versus four months from now.

But all I really care about is that they have it up in time for "24" in January.

Thanks for the updates; keep the good news coming.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
- President Merkin Muffley
post #471 of 10552 Old 09-15-2004, 04:54 PM

Feeling is mutual. Great news on this end. I heard it was going to be sometime in December not that long ago. In time for the World Series? Sounds good to me! Now I might only miss half of the NFL regular season in HD!
post #472 of 10552 Old 09-15-2004, 05:01 PM

Looks like WLOS got it fixed! I'm watching "My Wife And Kids" in HD. Monday night can't come soon enough...
post #473 of 10552 Old 09-15-2004, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I second the fact that WLOS is now showing true 16:9 HD pictures. It looks like they fixed everything and are actually passing through the original network HD feed rather than just upscaling the standard SD feed.

Three down, one major network to go! And that is great news about Fox - hopefully it won't be long now untill all major networks are in HD OTA locally.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #474 of 10552 Old 09-15-2004, 07:28 PM

Lets get WHNS in HD, then lets get this WSPA audio feed fixed. I'm sure we're all tired of hearing about it on the boards, but I'm tired of hearing the crappy feed period. I know we're beating a dead horse here, but my gosh. Have pride in your signal and get it fixed. I do have once question though: isn't there an FCC ruling of only about 17 mb per channel or something, right? So, a true HD signal consumes the entire bandwidth. But what about the ones with multiple channels with an HD feed? Such as, WLOS (13-1,2,3). Wouldn't that constrain the HD feed to a lesser bitrate? If so, I know WBTV has three sub channels, yet their HD feed's PQ looks as good at WSPA. Are they violating FCC policies? I know WLOS's PQ is a little less that desireable right now, and I figured it might be a lower bitrate. Feel free to comment, I'm trying to figure this out.
post #475 of 10552 Old 09-15-2004, 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dashaund
Lets get WHNS in HD, then lets get this WSPA audio feed fixed. I'm sure we're all tired of hearing about it on the boards, but I'm tired of hearing the crappy feed period. I know we're beating a dead horse here, but my gosh. Have pride in your signal and get it fixed. I do have once question though: isn't there an FCC ruling of only about 17 mb per channel or something, right? So, a true HD signal consumes the entire bandwidth. But what about the ones with multiple channels with an HD feed? Such as, WLOS (13-1,2,3). Wouldn't that constrain the HD feed to a lesser bitrate? If so, I know WBTV has three sub channels, yet their HD feed's PQ looks as good at WSPA. Are they violating FCC policies? I know WLOS's PQ is a little less that desireable right now, and I figured it might be a lower bitrate. Feel free to comment, I'm trying to figure this out.

The actual bitrate for the channel is approximately 19.4 MB/Sec. This includes audio, PSIP data, housekeeping data, etc., so the actual bandwidth available for video is about 15 MB/Sec. ( I may be off a bit here...).

The FCC requires the stations to have a digital signal on the air, but does NOT require High-Definition. Stations wishing to transmit High Definition are free to allocate whatever bandwidth they feel is appropriate, but I believe the consensus is that anything less than about 12 MB/sec. is pretty awful for pixellization in scenes where a lot of changes are going on.

A Standard Definition picture can be sent in approximately 4 MB/sec. while simple images like a fixed outdoor camera, or a weather radar display can be handled with much less than that.

With these estimates, a station can transmit one HD picture in reasonably good quality, and one full-bandwidth SD, or a couple of low-bandwidth images, simultaneously, or as many as four SD simultaneously if there is no HD. North Carolina ETV does this, and actually drops a couple of the SD signals in the evening when they transmit HD.

The best encoders use Statistical Multiplexing, which dynamically allocates bandwidth to the various signals, based on need. This means that when one or more signals requires less bandwidth at any instant, the "left-over" portion can be used by another signal. The result is that more video can be transmitted with less degradation.

I realize this is a little long-winded, but I hope it is useful.

Richard
post #476 of 10552 Old 09-15-2004, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rchalk
The actual bitrate for the channel is approximately 19.4 MB/Sec. This includes audio, PSIP data, housekeeping data, etc., so the actual bandwidth available for video is about 15 MB/Sec. ( I may be off a bit here...).

The FCC requires the stations to have a digital signal on the air, but does NOT require High-Definition. Stations wishing to transmit High Definition are free to allocate whatever bandwidth they feel is appropriate, but I believe the consensus is that anything less than about 12 MB/sec. is pretty awful for pixellization in scenes where a lot of changes are going on.

A Standard Definition picture can be sent in approximately 4 MB/sec. while simple images like a fixed outdoor camera, or a weather radar display can be handled with much less than that.

With these estimates, a station can transmit one HD picture in reasonably good quality, and one full-bandwidth SD, or a couple of low-bandwidth images, simultaneously, or as many as four SD simultaneously if there is no HD. North Carolina ETV does this, and actually drops a couple of the SD signals in the evening when they transmit HD.

The best encoders use Statistical Multiplexing, which dynamically allocates bandwidth to the various signals, based on need. This means that when one or more signals requires less bandwidth at any instant, the "left-over" portion can be used by another signal. The result is that more video can be transmitted with less degradation.

I realize this is a little long-winded, but I hope it is useful.

As a PS to this, when a show originates on film, shot at 24 frames-per-second, the DTV encoder recognizes the duplicated frames resulting from the 3-2 pulldown, and deletes them. They are re-inserted by the receiver, so the TV display is still at 30 FPS, but there is a 20% decrease in data being sent, and a corresponding reduction in bandwidth requirement.

Richard
post #477 of 10552 Old 09-16-2004, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Over the last year or so I have fiddled with antennas, and have finally reached a satisfactory (and cheap) solution. I started with a cheapo RCA amplified settop antenna from Walmart. It worked OK if you were willing to fiddle with it for different stations (including the preamp level) and settle for some dropouts.
I ended up with a ChannelMaster 4228 on a five foot mast mounted upside down at the highest point of my attic, no preamp or amp. All in, I think it cost $60. I am fortunate to have a walkin attic, so it was not a difficult install. The lowest point of the antenna is about 8" over my outstretched hand, so I use a notched stick to change the orientation. The mast is attached to a crossmember by two brackets lagscrewed into the member. They are tight enough to keep it from dropping, but still allow it to be turned.
At 10AM this morning, I recorded the following signal strengths without touching the antenna.

Station Signal Orientation of Miles
Station

4-1 93% 282 31
7-1 100% 306 14
13-1 69% 309 46
21-1 93% 289 36
33-1 69% 309 46

Of course I can also get other stations, but you get the idea. The orientation and mileage is from antennaweb.org. The tuner is a Samsung 360.

I am very pleased with these results, and even 13-1 yields a stable picture for prolonged periods. This means I don't have to mount an outside antenna (which pleases my wife and saves a lot of money), and I don't need a rotor.

Bring on Monday Night Football!

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess.
post #478 of 10552 Old 09-16-2004, 06:17 PM

Thanks for sharing your results, mgtr. I see you live in Inman...do you have a pretty clear shot over the mountains? Unfortunately for my location, I have problems getting signals over the mountains. It's true: the best setup is the one that works for you. And I agree...bring on MNF!
post #479 of 10552 Old 09-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Dashaund-
I am fortunate - not only are all the stations I want in the same general direction, but I think that if I could put a tall enough ladder on my roof, and had a strong telescope, I could probably see all the antennas. I am actually about 3 miles further from the broadcast antennas than antennaweb suggests.
The trick is to study your situation and find what works for you. I have, in the past, had a multipath problem. With my 4228 in a different, lower location and oriented to about 300 degrees, channel 4-1 would give readings which varied as follows: 77%, 39%, no signal. At least I assume this is multipath. The same antenna is now higher and oriented to about 280 or 285 degrees to yield the results shown above, where 4-1 is rock solid. The multipath may have the result of other houses in the neighborhood, or perhaps part of my own house.
By the way, my HT is on the second floor of my house, which is one reason I could slide by with a cheapo settop antenna - it was already pretty high up.
I also experimented with an A-B switch between my two antennas, so that I could still get 55-1 in Rock Hill with my settop antenna. That works, but is not probably worth the effort to fiddle with it unless you really want 55-1. I could also get another 4228 and orient it to the east, using the A-B switch to change between them. I am certain that would work, but for me it is not worth the effort.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess.
post #480 of 10552 Old 09-17-2004, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jerry birdwell
<<We are not on any cable company with our DT signal at this time. <<

I'm not sure if Charter is breaking some sort of agreement or what, but when I plug my cable directly into my TV and use its built-in tuner, I pick up WSPA in 1080i on C103.2. Right now, it's a pillarboxed episode of Judge Judy, but it's definitely a 1080i signal coming through. As I cycled through the other digital channels my TV detected, the only other one showing up as 1080i at the moment is C102.3 (Braves HD). I'll check again in primetime and see what else, if anything, rears its head. Perhaps WSPA isn't accessible over a set-top box, but it is with a QAM tuner? Maybe the tuner is picking up WSPA through some other means? (I don't have an antenna plugged in, just the cable coax.) I'm not savvy enough to know for sure.

Edit -- just to confirm, taking a quick peek at Joan of Arcadia on WSPA, however I'm receiving this signal, it's definitely high-def.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List
tylerSC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page