Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4861 of 10478 Old 03-05-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The southside of many mountain areas here in Asheville can provide awsome off-air HD. For the past six years I have been able to receive each station in the market as it started the HD transmission, and they range from 15 to 85 miles away. I do not receive usable VHF analog signals from several of the stations! My elevation is 3300'. All are very reliable. All are UHF (for now) except for the Greenville SC PBS station operating on Ch 9. The start of this forum's thread details the stations in the market. So, the bottom line is you must be selective in looking for a location that provides reliable DT reception. I use a 4-bay CM antenna, with a home made CH9 yagi to insert the Greenville PBS signal; both on the same mast.
Good luck.

JB - Asheville

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 10478 Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

If anyone's checked the TV Listings, it looks like the Thursday/Friday Afternoon First Round and Quarterfinal Games of the ACC Tournament will be aired on WLOS while the Evening games of these rounds will be aired on WMYA. The Semifinal and Championship games are listed to air on WLOS on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. I wonder how this will affect airing the games in HD on the two stations (if they're aired in HD at all) as I doubt Charter would have a change of heart and add WMYA's HD to their lineup just for this purpose.

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #4863 of 10478 Old 03-09-2008, 05:53 PM

FiggyNewton

RE:WHNS OTA feed not working in Vista Media Center after EPG update 3-1-2008

I wanted to tell you that I had the same problem. I fixed it by removing the WHNS line in my ATSCchannels.xml file. Then, I added the DT channel for WHNS-DT 1 in Media Center and it came back. You see, VMC gets it's info for a digital station not from the signal, but from the EPG. Basically, you'll find that the EPG told VMC that WHNS was now on channel 21 (not until '09) instead of 57. When you add the digital channel, use 21 -1 for your first entry and choose 57 in the second. That worked for me. If you still have problems, let me know.
post #4864 of 10478 Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Received a very quick response from Jack Connors, GM of WLOS/WMYA re:ACC Tournament in HD. As of the time of his e-mail reply (at 6:10 p.m.), they're still installing and testing the equipment necessary to carry a syndicated feed like the ACC Tournament in HD. If everything goes as planned (emphasizing if), they will have the WLOS ACC Games in HD. They won't be able to air the WMYA ACC Games in HD...this year.

Say many prayers for WLOS that they're successful.

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #4865 of 10478 Old 03-10-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popweaverhdtv View Post

Received a very quick response from Jack Connors, GM of WLOS/WMYA re:ACC Tournament in HD. As of the time of his e-mail reply (at 6:10 p.m.), they're still installing and testing the equipment necessary to carry a syndicated feed like the ACC Tournament in HD. If everything goes as planned (emphasizing if), they will have the WLOS ACC Games in HD. They won't be able to air the WMYA ACC Games in HD...this year.

I sure hope they have it as well, but first Northland needs to start carrying WLOS-HD. I have contacted them several times about it and I even mentioned the ACC tourney, but no e-mail back yet.

So, popweaverhdtv, say many prayers for Northland that they start carrying WLOS-HD in the next few days!
post #4866 of 10478 Old 03-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesquidman2 View Post

I sure hope they have it as well, but first Northland needs to start carrying WLOS-HD. I have contacted them several times about it and I even mentioned the ACC tourney, but no e-mail back yet.

So, popweaverhdtv, say many prayers for Northland that they start carrying WLOS-HD in the next few days!

I'll say many prayers that LOS gets added on your cable system!!!

post #4867 of 10478 Old 03-11-2008, 12:41 PM

Northland...good luck there. I had their HD tier last fall (when the only locals they carried were WHNS and WSPA...the HD PBS feed doesn't count as local). My apartment now includes Northland's standard analog package and I've erected a CM4228 + CM7777 amp in the attic to get the locals OTA. I can't wait to be off their system and be able to get D* at my place...we have it at our mountain house north of Pickens and it is glorious.

I've been calling Northland every month or so asking about CableCARDs...I have a Tivo HD and if they started carrying WLOS and offered their HD tier at $10/month less (since you wouldn't need their crap-tastic box), I might be game.

Good luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath at all about them carrying WLOS...probably better off headed somewhere else to watch the game.
post #4868 of 10478 Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwalke View Post

Northland...good luck there. I had their HD tier last fall (when the only locals they carried were WHNS and WSPA...the HD PBS feed doesn't count as local). My apartment now includes Northland's standard analog package and I've erected a CM4228 + CM7777 amp in the attic to get the locals OTA. I can't wait to be off their system and be able to get D* at my place...we have it at our mountain house north of Pickens and it is glorious.

I've been calling Northland every month or so asking about CableCARDs...I have a Tivo HD and if they started carrying WLOS and offered their HD tier at $10/month less (since you wouldn't need their crap-tastic box), I might be game.

Good luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath at all about them carrying WLOS...probably better off headed somewhere else to watch the game.

Yeah, thanks. It is just rediculous that I have called numerous times in the past 2 months trying to ask them about TNT-HD and WLOS-HD. It is absurd that I can't even talk to someone at the corporate office. I have called there many times as well. And someone was supposed to call me back, but it never happened. I am seriously about to loose it!!! This cable is not worth what I have to pay for....it is definitely sub-par.
post #4869 of 10478 Old 03-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

WLOS has been testing their syndicated feed (a.k.a the ACC HD Stream) on their HD (13.1) this afternoon (during Maury). While watching Maury, the boards for UNC and Duke were displayed in HD with accompanying background music (maybe thinking that's going to be the Championship Game on Sunday)? Looked great from this end. Anyone else notice the testing?

post #4870 of 10478 Old 03-12-2008, 03:46 PM

I didn't catch that, I'm not usually a Maury fan.
post #4871 of 10478 Old 03-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLSandlapper View Post

I didn't catch that, I'm not usually a Maury fan.

Mind-less entertainment...what can I say? Also, it was on when I got home...

I do wonder if Wheel and Jeopardy! will be aired on LOS in HD soon given these developments. I guess it depends on whether the equipment is only for live syndicated content or has HD Recording Capabilities.

post #4872 of 10478 Old 03-12-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:

Mind-less entertainment...what can I say? Also, it was on when I got home...

I do wonder if Wheel and Jeopardy! will be aired on LOS in HD soon given these developments. I guess it depends on whether the equipment is only for live syndicated content or has HD Recording Capabilities.

I was assuming that those two would go HD once this happened. I sure hope so.
post #4873 of 10478 Old 03-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Oxb

ACC in HD on WLOS!!
post #4874 of 10478 Old 03-13-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxb View Post

ACC in HD on WLOS!!

Good job WLOS and Raycom!
post #4875 of 10478 Old 03-13-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppState View Post

I second that emotion! Only oddity is that the DD5.1 flag is turned on when I know from previous posts by SNF Mixer on the programming forum that they're currently sending out DD2.0.
post #4876 of 10478 Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppState View Post

And DirecTV while we're at it, since they carry the HD WLOS feed. No HD on DirecTV tonight for the late game (it would conflict with Lost). That game is on WMYA instead in SD.
post #4877 of 10478 Old 03-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iostcause View Post

And DirecTV while we're at it, since they carry the HD WLOS feed. No HD on DirecTV tonight for the late game (it would conflict with Lost). That game is on WMYA instead in SD.

See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=4864 re:WMYA ACC HD Games. WLOS/WMYA GM Jack Connors also said the following re:WMYA's HD when I e-mailed him on Tuesday (3/10) about the ACC HD:

"We will not be able to carry the tournament games this year in HD on WMYA, but that high definition capability hopefully will be up and on line before the end of March.

On the question of Charter and HD carriage of WMYA----they (a.k.a. Charter) won't be able to carry non-network signals in high def until we are able to broadcast it. Once that happens, I trust that they will re-transmit WMYA in HD for everything that we carry in HD."

(Note: I added the 'a.k.a. Charter' to make it clear who he meant by 'they'.)

Ditto on previous comments on ACC HD. Too bad it isn't in DD5.1 like someone previously pointed out (not even coming through the L/R Rear Speakers). Also, I haven't seen an HD commercial during the Tourney, yet (only widescreen with black bars on top and bottom). Anyone else see any HD Commercials?

post #4878 of 10478 Old 03-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Ditto on previous comments on ACC HD. Too bad it isn't in DD5.1 like someone previously pointed out (not even coming through the L/R Rear Speakers). Also, I haven't seen an HD commercial during the Tourney, yet (only widescreen with black bars on top and bottom). Anyone else see any HD Commercials?

SNF Mixer who does the audio said there were too many audio issues trying to do DD 5.1 in the few games they did this year in HD. I think he wants to keep his job or something Apparently, they will try to work it out for next year though. Obviously, this has nothing to do with WLOS.
post #4879 of 10478 Old 03-13-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

SNF Mixer who does the audio said there were too many audio issues trying to do DD 5.1 in the few games they did this year in HD. I think he wants to keep his job or something Apparently, they will try to work it out for next year though. Obviously, this has nothing to do with WLOS.

Correct, but WLOS is transmitting the DD5.1 flag (at least on my receiver) when the audio is actually DD2.0. This prevents our receivers from processing the surround signal into faux 5.1 and results in hearing the announcers in the front L/R speakers.

All-in-all, though, that's a very small gripe compared to my very large satisfaction in getting the HD picture.
post #4880 of 10478 Old 03-14-2008, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxer View Post

Correct, but WLOS is transmitting the DD5.1 flag (at least on my receiver) when the audio is actually DD2.0.

All stations transmit the 5.1 flag whether they transmit 5.1 or 2.0. That is part of the protocol.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #4881 of 10478 Old 03-14-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

All stations transmit the 5.1 flag whether they transmit 5.1 or 2.0. That is part of the protocol.

It seems, then, that my receiver is misinterpreting the signal. Typically it will show 2.0 for a Dolby Surround signal and 5.1 EX for a DD5.1 signal. Now with WLOS, it shows 5.1 EX all the time. It seems to work fine for the other local networks. Any ideas on how I could fix this? Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
post #4882 of 10478 Old 03-14-2008, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxer View Post

It seems, then, that my receiver is misinterpreting the signal. Typically it will show 2.0 for a Dolby Surround signal and 5.1 EX for a DD5.1 signal. Now with WLOS, it shows 5.1 EX all the time. It seems to work fine for the other local networks. Any ideas on how I could fix this? Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Stations transmit 5.1 all the time. You can have Surround that is transported within the 5.1 and it works the same way as Surround in the analog world. If you have a decoder that shows if Surround is being received along with 5.1, it will display those flags if the station is transmitting in that mode (most encoders will allow that if set to it). If a station doesn't have a 5.1 encoder to create the 6 channels and is not operating in Surround mode, then left will show up on left and right will show up on right with no center, no rears and no bass and only the 5.1 flag will show.

I have my station set to use Surround in local mode since we do not have a 5.1 encoder and since FOX provides us with a true 5.1, when we splice into the network, the Surround flag is replaced with the 5.1 and true 5.1.

That is how it works.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #4883 of 10478 Old 03-14-2008, 03:00 PM

Anybody have any idea when the Greenville PBS station will move to UHF instead of Channel 9 on VHF? I know the analog cutoff date is next year, and from what I understand they will eventually sell the VHF spectrum.
post #4884 of 10478 Old 03-14-2008, 03:10 PM

The only reason I could think of is the PBS unused spectrum is what the state is looking at for the wireless broadband across the state.
post #4885 of 10478 Old 03-14-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashaund View Post

Anybody have any idea when the Greenville PBS station will move to UHF instead of Channel 9 on VHF? I know the analog cutoff date is next year, and from what I understand they will eventually sell the VHF spectrum.

WNTV is staying on channel 9 as their permanent DTV channel. The VHF spectrum is not for sale. The spectrum for sale is channels 52 and higher. WSPA will go back to 7 for digital and WLOS will go back to 13 for the permanent DTV channel. WHNS will go back to 21 and WYFF will be going to channel 36. Those staying on their current DTV channel are WMYA 14, WASV 45. Oh, and WGGS will return to 16 for digital after the transition.
post #4886 of 10478 Old 03-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
apparently WLOS has fell asleep at the switch today, no ACC in HD here :-(
post #4887 of 10478 Old 03-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Back and forth in HD for me. SD when they do the weather crawl. Via D*.
post #4888 of 10478 Old 03-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

ACC on WLOS is in HD via Charter...Like Apps1 said, they probably temporarily switched to SD for the weather crawls (live updates, as well). I believe the weather crawl was in HD, but in stretch-o-vision (actual ACC Feed remaining in HD).

post #4889 of 10478 Old 03-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a Charter HD Survey that was listed on the 'St. Louis, MO - Charter' Forum:

http://www.charterhdsurvey.com/

Granted, it appears to be catered towards the St. Louis area. Nevertheless, it gives a sense of where they're heading in terms of more HD.

post #4890 of 10478 Old 03-15-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashaund View Post

I can't speak about WNTV, but the VHF WILL NOT be sold off. Channels 52-69 are being sold off as we speak. On Feb 18, 2009 TV will go from channel 2-51.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page