post #5041 of 10599 Old 05-04-2008, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by popweaverhdtv View Post

Is WMYA-DT airing any HD at present? There was talk of that capability arriving around the end of March by WLOS' GM if the necessary equipment arrived on time and there were no issues to resolve during/after the install.

WMYA used to carry MyNetworkTV programs in HD (like those telenovelas last year) from a network feed. MyNet carries few HD programs now, but during the past several months I've run across a couple of MyNet specials that were in HD on WMYT (Charlotte) but not on WMYA, and wondering why.

I think the new equipment is for relaying syndicated programming such as live sports from Raycom and perhaps "taped" material such as talk shows, sitcom reruns, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 10599 Old 05-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

WMYA used to carry MyNetworkTV programs in HD (like those telenovelas last year) from a network feed. MyNet carries few HD programs now, but during the past several months I've run across a couple of MyNet specials that were in HD on WMYT (Charlotte) but not on WMYA, and wondering why.

I think the new equipment is for relaying syndicated programming such as live sports from Raycom and perhaps "taped" material such as talk shows, sitcom reruns, etc.

Thanks for the heads up on WMYA's HD airings, jtbell. I failed to include this when I submitted my "Easter Bunny" note back in March about stations' Local HD Plans. I did get the following response from WLOS/WMYA's GM back then regarding WMYA in HD:

"On the question of Charter and HD carriage of WMYA----they won't be able to carry non-network signals in high def until we are able to broadcast it. Once that happens, I trust that they will re-transmit WMYA in HD for everything that we carry in HD."

Let's hope things start hopping on the Local HD Pike for all of the local stations soon.

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #5043 of 10599 Old 05-06-2008, 05:41 PM

Noticed that channel 21 had no HD signal last night (Monday 5/5) and it seems to be out tonight as well. Other channels are coming in fine. Anyone else having trouble? (The analog signal is okay.)
post #5044 of 10599 Old 05-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriouslySane View Post

Noticed that channel 21 had no HD signal last night (Monday 5/5) and it seems to be out tonight as well. Other channels are coming in fine. Anyone else having trouble? (The analog signal is okay.)

In contrast to late last week, I'm getting the HD signal via Charter with no problems.

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #5045 of 10599 Old 05-06-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriouslySane View Post

I, too, did not receive a hd ota signal from WHNS last night. Tonight, however, it was good.

JB - Asheville

post #5046 of 10599 Old 05-07-2008, 04:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I hear WHNS is having problems with their PSIP generator.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #5047 of 10599 Old 05-07-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

FCC Sets Wilmington, N.C., as Digital-Switch Test Market, Sources Say

By Michele Greppi and Ira Teinowitz

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin is set to announce Thursday that it will run a test of the switch to digital broadcasting signals in Wilmington, N.C., the smallest TV market in the Tarheel state, sources said.

The congressionally mandated national switch to digital takes place Feb. 19. The FCC didn't return multiple calls seeking comment.

The test in North Carolina, Mr. Martin's home state, is likely to take place before the November sweeps ratings period. If things do not go smoothly during the trial run, it could affect stations’ revenues during one of the months used to set advertising rates for the next fiscal quarter.

The Wilmington market, served by affiliates of all the major networks, is the 135th largest measured by Nielsen Media Research, which says 179,760 of the 182,500 homes in the area have televisions.

WWAY-TV, owned by Morris Multimedia, is the ABC affiliate in the area. NBC-affiliated WECT-TV and Fox-affiliated WSFX-TV are owned by Raycom Media. WILM-TV is the CBS affiliate owned by Capitol Broadcasting Co. WMYW-LP is the MyNetworkTV affiliate, and The CW has a cable-only affiliate. The market gets its public broadcast signal from WUNJ-TV.

Local broadcasters did not return calls seeking comment.

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps has been pushing for a test in a small market that met certain criteria, including that all broadcast stations’ digital signals already are on the air on the same channels where they will be found when the official digital switch takes place.

The idea is to learn, among other things, how many TV homes may be unprepared for the transition, which will require viewers to have digital sets, boxes that can convert digital broadcast signals to analog on older sets, or delivery of programs by cable or satellite services.

The sources who confirmed the announcement of the test weren't able to say when it may begin. However, the trial run will be preceded by a big education campaign by local stations about converter boxes and the availability of coupons worth $40 toward the purchase of the converters through local retailers.

Throughout the country, some 1 million coupons have been used as part of the National Telecommunications & Information Administration’s converter box coupon program, according to recent information.

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/05/s...mington_nc.php

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #5048 of 10599 Old 05-08-2008, 04:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wilmington DTV Switch: Sept. 8, 2008
135th Largest DMA To Become First Transition Test Market

By Ted Hearn -- Multichannel News, 5/7/2008 7:09:00 PM
Washington—Wilmington, N.C., will become the first market to switch to all-digital broadcasting on Sept.8, 2008, Wilmington Mayor Bill Saffo said Wednesday.

“We'll be the first in the country,” Saffo said, adding that he was “honored” to have his city take the lead.

The test is slated to begin Monday Sept. 8, a week after Labor Day.

The Federal Communications Commission is planning to announce Wednesday afternoon that Wilmington will be selected as the TV transition test market, an FCC official said.

By law, all full-power TV stations need to terminate analog service on Feb. 17, 2009. FCC Chairman Kevin Martin has been coming under pressure to find a test market to determine the level of preparation in a typical market prior to the national switch over.

FCC Democrat Michael Copps has been nagging Martin for months to find a test market.

"This is very good news for the DTV transition. Real-world experience is an extremely important step—although only one of many—that will help minimize consumer disruption next February. Broadway shows open on the road to work out the kinks before opening night. The DTV transition deserves no less," Copps said in a statement Wednesday night.

Saffo said he is optimistic that his city will be ready to conduct a smooth transition soon after Labor Day.

“The FCC has assured me that they are going to come down here and do everything in their power ...to make this as smooth as possible,” Saffo said. “We look at the FCC as being a partner in this.”

According to Nielsen Media Research, Wilmington is the 135th largest TV market out of 210.

Saffo said he was well-aware that the eyes of the nation would be following DTV developments in his coastal city.

“It's a huge opportunity for Wilmington to pave the way for the rest of country,” Saffo said. “I am looking forward to working with [the FCC] and honored to be the first community in the country to do it.”

Nielsen has cable and satellite TV providers serving 92.6% of Wilmington area households, leaving just 7.4% relying exclusively on free TV. Nationally, the broadcast-only audience ranges from 11% to 19% of households, depending on source of the data.

According to the Center for Public Integrity's media ownership database, the Wilmington market has 10 licensed TV stations.

The city of Wilmington, situated close to the Atlantic shoreline, has a population of 91,137, according to U.S. Census Bureau data for 2003.

Analog TV sets that rely exclusively on free over the air broadcasting will cease to function unless they are adapted to display digital signals.

The federal government plans to spend up to $1.5 billion to subsidize consumer acquisition of digital-to-analog converter boxes. The program allows each household to receive two $40 coupons to defray converter box costs. On Tuesday, the U.S. Commerce Department announced that 1 million coupons had been used since people began applying on Jan. 1.

Saffo said that ensuring broadcast-only viewers were not left behind was essential.

“Obviously we have some concerns,” Saffo said. “Our concern is at those folks who do not have a converter box are going to be given those converter boxes ...”

In theory, cable and satellite TV homes won't be affected by the transition unless they have analog TV sets not connected to one of the pay TV services.

post #5049 of 10599 Old 05-08-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

FCC Confirms Wilmington as Digital Test Market
By Ira Teinowitz and Julieanne Smolinski

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin has formally selected Wilmington, N.C., as the test market for the digital transition.

“It will help us spot issues that we need to address throughout the country,” Mr. Martin told a Washington news conference today, surrounded by the mayor of Wilmington and local broadcasters.

The announcement confirms TVWeek’s report that Mr. Martin would select his home state for the dry run of the congressionally mandated switch.

Nielsen ranks the Wilmington market as the 135th largest of major-network affiliates. Beginning at noon on Sept. 8, WWAY-TV (ABC), WSFX-TV (Fox), WECT-TV (NBC), WILM-LP (CBS), and W51CW (Trinity Broadcasting) will broadcast only digital signals to their viewers in the five North Carolina counties that make up the market.

Wilmington PBS station WUNJ-TV will continue to broadcast in both analog and digital until the national transition, set for Feb. 17. The station is part of UNC-TV, the state’s public TV network; it said today that it was concerned that turning off its analog signal in the midst of hurricane season might deprive viewers of needed emergency information.

Mr. Martin said today that the FCC would have full-time staff in Wilmington through the transition to speak and attend events ranging from the riverfront festival to the blueberry festival. He said the agency would prepare public service announcements, outdoor billboards and posters promoting the transition.

Wilmington was chosen for the test run because all of its commercial stations have completed construction of their DTV channels and are operating at full post-transition power.

Jonathan Collegio, the National Association of Broadcasters' VP of the digital television transition, said in a statement: “The FCC-initiated experiment in Wilmington can shed light on a number of issues surrounding the national DTV transition in February 2009. The results must be objectively reviewed to determine how or whether the findings can be applied nationwide. NAB will be fully supportive of our local television broadcasters in this effort."

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps, who had been to England to watch its switchover, had pushed for a test before the national switch. Today he praised both the FCC and local broadcasters for voluntarily agreeing to it.

“It’s not risk-free. It’s not problem-free,” he said.

While Mr. Martin suggested Wilmington’s switch would offer valuable information, Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein said he was concerned that Wilmington would be more a showplace than a real test. The kind of effort the agency is putting into making sure Wilmington goes right is unlikely to be there when the rest of the country switches.

“The question is whether it is a real test or a staged dress rehearsal,” said Mr. Adelstein.

Broadcasters said they expected some disruption in advertising and viewership during the switch, but that it would have occurred anyway in February.

“Whether we do the transition in September or we do it in February, we are going to have some disruption to work through,” said Jim Goodmon, president-CEO of Capitol Broadcasting, which owns WILM-LP.

“If you don’t know the transition is coming in Wilmington, you won’t be breathing. But I don’t know how we are not going to have a disruption. We are going to have a disruption. We are going to make it as small as we can.”

Paul McTear, president-CEO of Raycom Media, which owns WECT-TV, said the high level of cable and satellite households in the market—93%—together with the number that already have requested discount coupons for converter boxes, meant few households would lose TV service. He predicted the biggest problem would be with second sets.

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/05/f...ton_as_dig.php

post #5050 of 10599 Old 05-10-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

My OTA PBS HD (ch 29.3) signal has been rock solid for as long as I can remember. But the past week or so I see a couple of thin horizontal streaks of noise quickly flash across the picture a couple of times per minute. Anyone else experiencing anything like this. Wondering if this could be the broadcast itself, or some new interference at my location.

Bump...

Anybody having problems? Anybody NOT having problems?
post #5051 of 10599 Old 05-10-2008, 11:08 AM

We believe we know what the issue is with WNTV-D 29-3. Hopefully it will be resolved early next week.

-Shaun

Shaun Bennett
Engineering, SCETV
post #5052 of 10599 Old 05-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

I checked in this Message Board and via the "Search Thread" function and didn't see this one mentioned. A February 13th article from Broadcasting and Cable has details on WHNS' inclusion in a 2-year deal between Meredith Corp. and Panasonic. Under the terms of the agreement, Meredith's 13 TV Stations, WHNS included, will receive P2 HD solid-state camcorders for HD Local News Production.

(Source: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6532388.html )

post #5053 of 10599 Old 05-11-2008, 05:53 AM

I live in Charleston but I'm up here at my parents house in Piedmont trying to figure out how to get the local channels in HD. Dish's website says they are available in the 5190's channel range.

My parents have a 722 DVR and they subscribe to the HD package. They've been using an antenna to receive the local channels OTA, but there are a few channels that we would like to get off the satellite due to reception issues. When I pull up the channel guide on the 722 it does not even show those channels.

Are the locals really available and how do we get them?

Thanks!!
post #5054 of 10599 Old 05-11-2008, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Attention DirecTV subs:
With the download of the latest software update from DirecTV about two weeks ago, I have occasional short bursts of stuttering in the audio which is sometimes followed by very brief video instability. This has been observed on both LIL and other HD channels. DirecTV refuses to acknowledge it has a problem, but has agreed to send a service tech next week to review the recordings of the events. Anyone else having the problem?
It took eleven months to get DirecTV to correct the captions problems for WHNS and WLOS, which was finally solved by corrections at the uplink facility, and I hope not to wait that long to solve the audio interruptions!

JB - Asheville

post #5055 of 10599 Old 05-11-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsgas View Post

I live in Charleston but I'm up here at my parents house in Piedmont trying to figure out how to get the local channels in HD. Dish's website says they are available in the 5190's channel range.

My parents have a 722 DVR and they subscribe to the HD package. They've been using an antenna to receive the local channels OTA, but there are a few channels that we would like to get off the satellite due to reception issues. When I pull up the channel guide on the 722 it does not even show those channels.

Are the locals really available and how do we get them?

Thanks!!

I don't have DISH so I may be wrong here but I think those locals just went up. Perhaps a reboot of the box would reset the box and it would see the new channels?? Also, I know with DirecTV they use something like a 5 LNB dish for locals. Perhaps DISH does the same thing and if your parents don't have that dish they won't receive the locals.
post #5056 of 10599 Old 05-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry birdwell View Post

WESTERN CAROLINAS HDTV VIEWERS:

THIS THREAD RESTARTS THE WESTERN NORTH CAROLINAS HDTV THREAD, AND INCLUDES A SUMMARY OF PERTINENT INFORMATION FROM THAT FORUM.
THIS SHOULD MAKE SCANNING FOR INFORMATION EASIER.
There are several members contributing to information seen here, but there is no one specific person in charge. We encourage all who visit our site to acknowledge their presence and to summarize their HDTV / DT experience. Most station information is edited from emailed responses from station personnel.
Jerry Birdwell, Contributor

I am new to avs forums and this may have been already discussed however I am quite disappointed in the audio sync problem with WLOS digital 13-2 and 13-3. I am located 2 miles below GSP airport and am using a 17 element yagi with Channel Master Spartan series pre amp. Even the primary 13-1 is breaking up. This baffles me since the UNC channels come in rock solid and they are the same distance. I believe WLOS is at reduced power or have a serious issue with their antenna.
post #5057 of 10599 Old 05-11-2008, 05:07 PM

I believe they need a dish pointed at the 61.5 orbital location for the local HD, either a Dish 1000 or a second dish pointed to 61.5
post #5058 of 10599 Old 05-12-2008, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbennett View Post

We believe we know what the issue is with WNTV-D 29-3. Hopefully it will be resolved early next week.

-Shaun

Thanks for the update.
post #5059 of 10599 Old 05-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbennett View Post

-Shaun

Do you know if WNTV channel 8 on Charter will ever be fixed? Its going on 3 months that this channel is unwatchable because of the flickering. There are no issues with it OTA, only through Charter.
post #5060 of 10599 Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

Do you know if WNTV channel 8 on Charter will ever be fixed? Its going on 3 months that this channel is unwatchable because of the flickering. There are no issues with it OTA, only through Charter.

That may be something very local; I'm in Greenville county "Greer", the end of South Batesville; it is (and I believe always has been) clear as a bell here.

George
post #5061 of 10599 Old 05-15-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I have been out of the office. I am going to forward your problem to our engineer that liaisons with the numerous cable companies around the state.

For any problems with our broadcasts, OTA or with cable, please feel free to contact us at our customer service email (csr@scetv.org). Most of the cable companies work well with us and we are able to resolve the issues relatively quickly. Also, you can message me anytime. I cannot guarantee that I can answer your question or fix the problem, but at least I can get it to someone that can.

-Shaun

Shaun Bennett
Engineering, SCETV
post #5062 of 10599 Old 05-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post

That may be something very local; I'm in Greenville county "Greer", the end of South Batesville; it is (and I believe always has been) clear as a bell here.

George

The picture is clear for me as well. However, depending on the program, the flicker is beyond annoying. During some programing, you can't notice it too much, but in others it is just unwatchable.
post #5063 of 10599 Old 05-16-2008, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My Charter VOD has been missing all HD offerings for a solid two weeks now. I recently called customer service to inquire about this, and after about 45 minutes the tech was able to comprehend my question. She eventually found an intra-office memo that said the HD selections of VOD would be out of service until as late as June 1, but also that the outage was necessary to add more HD capacity.

I don't know if this extra capacity refers only to VOD, or if Charter is planning to roll out additional HD channels in our area...one can only hope.
post #5064 of 10599 Old 05-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrophenia View Post

My Charter VOD has been missing all HD offerings for a solid two weeks now. I recently called customer service to inquire about this, and after about 45 minutes the tech was able to comprehend my question. She eventually found an intra-office memo that said the HD selections of VOD would be out of service until as late as June 1, but also that the outage was necessary to add more HD capacity.

I don't know if this extra capacity refers only to VOD, or if Charter is planning to roll out additional HD channels in our area...one can only hope.

The 'Charlotte, NC - Charter' Message Board has had updates on this over the past month or so ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=549252 ). The explanation given from that Message Board for the lack of HD VOD by CharterJames, who works in Charter's Hickory Office, is due to technical issues that began in late March. Asheville was the first system to have HD VOD temporarily removed, then the Hickory System. It's been far longer than two weeks in most of the area. On the same Message Board, it's rumored that a new round of HD might arrive in late June/early July.

Keep a check of your mail on your Charter Monthly Bill or for a special flyer announcing the new round of HD channels (at least a 30 day notice should be given). I got my bill online this morning and there was no mention of additional HD, so it won't be any earlier than June 16th. Anyone that get's a flyer or note on their bill, post here so that we can celebrate...

post #5065 of 10599 Old 05-18-2008, 09:08 AM

Does anyone have an updated QAM list for Charter-Greenville area? Please?

Thanks.
post #5066 of 10599 Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jself1982 View Post

Does anyone have an updated QAM list for Charter-Greenville area? Please?

I _ASSUME_ you are looking for those in the clear. Why not post what you have and see if anyone can extend it? Mine follow; they are on quick select, and I may be slightly mis-remembering.

77.2, WLOS
86.8, SCTV SD
90.x, weather and music
103.1, WYFF
103.2, WSPA
103.3, PBS HD
104.1, Fox

104.?, Fox movie channel; now that I've posted it, Charter will fix that ...
post #5067 of 10599 Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Did anyone notice that WLOS presented their HD Crawl for the DTV Conversion during tonight's Wheel of Fortune?

post #5068 of 10599 Old 05-19-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popweaverhdtv View Post

Did anyone notice that WLOS presented their HD Crawl for the DTV Conversion during tonight's Wheel of Fortune?

They've been doing that for a while now. They do it during Jeopardy sometimes as well.
post #5069 of 10599 Old 05-19-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Attention DirecTV subs:
With the download of the latest software update from DirecTV about two weeks ago, I have occasional short bursts of stuttering in the audio which is sometimes followed by very brief video instability. This has been observed on both LIL and other HD channels. DirecTV refuses to acknowledge it has a problem, but has agreed to send a service tech next week to review the recordings of the events. Anyone else having the problem?
It took eleven months to get DirecTV to correct the captions problems for WHNS and WLOS, which was finally solved by corrections at the uplink facility, and I hope not to wait that long to solve the audio interruptions!

I've been having the same issues as well, mainly with local HD channels. Tech replaced the LNB, but it still happens. Let me know what your tech finds out.

Samsung LN-T4661FX/XAA AA09
MODULE-TULPAUSC-1019, DATE:
MICOM: T-TULPAUSS-1011, ACL: T-TULPAUSG-1009

Yamaha V663
HR21
XBox 360 w/ HD-DVD drive
Wii
PS3

Samsung LN-T3253HX/XAA SQ05
HR21
post #5070 of 10599 Old 05-20-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Attention DirecTV subs:

Jerry, are you running the national release? I'm running last week's CE on my HR20 and haven't noticed any problems. There are major issues with this week's CE though. It might be worth a try to download the new one this weekend. If you've never downloaded a CE, you might have to rebuild your favorites list. There are other risks, but you can always go back to the national release if you have problems. Check out the CE forum on dbstalk for details. As a side note, I had major problems several months ago with the LNBs on my AT9 dish. Since I replaced it with a Slimline, it's been pretty solid. At that time I got a new dish cheap from ebay and did all the work myself since D* wanted to charge me. Even though my AT9 was fairly new and obviously defective, they said it only had a 90 day warranty, which had expired. You're lucky they're willing to do anything.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List
tylerSC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page