Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post

I'd be pissed if that was my "HD"

So far we've been happy with the Dish HD only package. Got the bill for the first two months. It looks like we'll be paying the $29.99 and about $1.75 in taxes. Not bad.

Just for grins and giggles and to put the sales pitches to rest, I tried to see if I could get a better deal than Charter by going to E*. I have to say that E*'s website is very user unfriendly. It's DishBUILDER "feature" won't let you select DVR with 2 HDTV's, won't let you select a-la-carte features (i.e. Superstations, adding DVR, etc.) and the price when I was finished would be more expensive than Charter (Biggest Value with 10MB HSI).

Also, I checked D* and found that I'd get a better deal by going to them than with E* and had no problems selecting a-la-carte features. Although, Charter would still be a greater value than D* (can't get Internet with D* unless you pay $70 per month for Satellite Internet). I'd be more willing to entertain a sales pitch from D* than what we've been getting here for E* if I were considering a switch. As Tim Waller would say on WYFF, "Buyer Beware" when considering HD Options from all aforementioned.

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 10476 Old 07-26-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post

I'd be pissed if that was my "HD"

I am pissed most of the time.

And I'm pissed off about the HD quality, that's for sure. I canceled the Comcast TV-service few days after I wrote that. I just couldn't find any reason to keep paying around $100 for that, especially as during the summer time, all the series I keep watching are on summer vacation.

Heck, with 1 month Comcast bill I can buy one season of all the series I watch from there anyway, so....

I still have internet from Comcast, nothing (much) to complain about that. But if FIOS and FIOS-TV becomes available in this area, I think I will change.

I must say, I don't miss tv that much, I still have more than enough DVDs on my shelf I haven't yet watched. But for first weeks, it felt odd when coming home, I couldn't turn on the TV just for background noise.
post #5223 of 10476 Old 07-28-2008, 05:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by popweaverhdtv View Post

Just for grins and giggles and to put the sales pitches to rest, I tried to see if I could get a better deal than Charter by going to E*. I have to say that E*'s website is very user unfriendly. It's DishBUILDER "feature" won't let you select DVR with 2 HDTV's, won't let you select a-la-carte features (i.e. Superstations, adding DVR, etc.) and the price when I was finished would be more expensive than Charter (Biggest Value with 10MB HSI).

Also, I checked D* and found that I'd get a better deal by going to them than with E* and had no problems selecting a-la-carte features. Although, Charter would still be a greater value than D* (can't get Internet with D* unless you pay $70 per month for Satellite Internet). I'd be more willing to entertain a sales pitch from D* than what we've been getting here for E* if I were considering a switch. As Tim Waller would say on WYFF, "Buyer Beware" when considering HD Options from all aforementioned.

I used to have the "biggest value + internet" with Charter, and then the promo price ended. I can't even remember what my bill went up to (it's been 18 months now). Charter was unwilling to continue the promo price unless I paid full price for 3 months. Needless to say, I left, and my bill is $30 cheaper with D* than it would have been at regular price with Charter. $30 cheaper, and how many more HD channels? Not to mention the fact that at the time, I qualified for $425 in rebate checks from Bellsouth just for switching. So, over the past 18 months, it's actually been $53 cheaper per month. Yeah, a no-brainer.

I know not everyone has the option to go with sat, but if you do, stop wasting your time with Charter. It's never going to get any better.

FIOS might make me considering switching from D*, but Charter can keep wasting their money by sending me brochures about their HD choices, and I'll keep laughing at them.
post #5224 of 10476 Old 07-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post

FIOS might make me considering switching from D*, but Charter can keep wasting their money by sending me brochures about their HD choices, and I'll keep laughing at them.

Yeah, if FIOS makes a run for the area, it would be a worthy consideration since Verizon is a provider for Weaverville's phone service and they even have 100 HD Channels (Source: http://www.tvpredictions.com/verizonlist072808.htm ). Unfortunately, AT&T is the big dog in Buncombe County, so Verizon might not think it's worth funneling huge amounts of money into the here to build the infrastructure for FIOS.

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #5225 of 10476 Old 07-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

How disappointing is it that WSPA flipped back to SD during the CBS Evening News during its HD debut tonight? It looks like audio issues are to blame (national or only for WSPA?).

Updated at 6:35 p.m.: WTRK in Norolk, VA had the same issue, so it appears to be a problem at the network level.

Updated at 6:51 p.m.: KTHV in Little Rock, AR also reported the same issue. CBS Evening News returned in HD and with audio at 6:51 p.m.

Updated at 7:06 p.m.: Apparently, the issue is mostly affecting stations that have their audio in DD5.1 (Source: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post14386981 ).

post #5226 of 10476 Old 07-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Any chance of breaking this into two separate threads, as many areas do: one, Charter. Two, satellite plus OTA. Those of us with satellite aren't much concerned about Charter, and vice versa. Any thoughts?

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess.
post #5227 of 10476 Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post

Any chance of breaking this into two separate threads, as many areas do: one, Charter. Two, satellite plus OTA. Those of us with satellite aren't much concerned about Charter, and vice versa. Any thoughts?

Every few weeks, someone brings that up, and it ends up getting shot down. I think that this thread's purpose is to discuss HDTV, whether it's OTA, D*, E*, or Charter.
post #5228 of 10476 Old 07-30-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubber View Post

Just wanted to update on a couple of issues.

WYFF 4:

I had written them concerning the possible addition of MSNBC on an additional subchannel and received a very curt, nearly rude reply from someone who did not name themselves.

I can see that WYFF is not really interested in viewer comments either.

I had worked for a former Hearst Argyle station in Lancaster about a decade ago WGAL TV8 and I see the corporate disdain for viewer input there as well.

I'm not sure who at WYFF responded to your email but if it was not signed, then it was a mistake and if you thought it was rude, then please accept my apology. All email replies are from our personal work email addresses so you can reply directly to the sender. We do welcome viewer feedback, but answering emails is a task we must add to our other daily duties and I believe we answer most in a timely manner. There will always be some that fall through the cracks. If anyone here has questions about our operation you can email me at ddurkee@hearst.com and I will do my best to answer.

Doug
post #5229 of 10476 Old 07-30-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

The issue with switching to HD during the nightly news is due to the equipment. Once they fully upgrade, they will be able to do a crawl over HD content. It isn't laziness but a technical issue.

This is correct. We don't have an HD character generator for HD native crawls but we're getting close. As for HD switching, it was mostly manual up until about 6 weeks ago. It is now controlled by automation so if the automation is programmed correctly, HD will be switched properly.

I'm an avid HD viewer too and I don't like switching to upconverted video to run crawls either. We are working to minimize and eventually eliminate this practice. The Olympics will be entirely in HD for the first time and we want to be as HD viewer friendly as possible so we are working to keep the switch to upconverted video during HD programming to a minimum. We're making progress but not as quickly as any of us would like.

Doug
post #5230 of 10476 Old 07-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post

Every few weeks, someone brings that up, and it ends up getting shot down. I think that this thread's purpose is to discuss HDTV, whether it's OTA, D*, E*, or Charter.

Thats odd. As a D* subscriber, I have no interest in Charter, and don't imagine Charter subscribers have much interest in D* or E* either. A whole lot of places have broken their subscriptions into multiple parts. Just because somebody says lets not do it doesn't make it a bad idea.
Secondarily, why not eliminate the first couple thousand posts in this thread? It is getting unwieldy, and the answers that appllied a few years ago don't have much to do with today.

post #5231 of 10476 Old 07-30-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Yeah, if FIOS makes a run for the area, it would be a worthy consideration since Verizon is a provider for Weaverville's phone service and they even have 100 HD Channels (Source: http://www.tvpredictions.com/verizonlist072808.htm ). Unfortunately, AT&T is the big dog in Buncombe County, so Verizon might not think it's worth funneling huge amounts of money into the here to build the infrastructure for FIOS.

ATT has their own version of FiOS, so its plausible they could be bringing it here one day.

https://uverse1.att.com/un/launchAMSS.do
post #5232 of 10476 Old 07-30-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Thats odd. As a D* subscriber, I have no interest in Charter, and don't imagine Charter subscribers have much interest in D* or E* either. A whole lot of places have broken their subscriptions into multiple parts. Just because somebody says lets not do it doesn't make it a bad idea.
Secondarily, why not eliminate the first couple thousand posts in this thread? It is getting unwieldy, and the answers that appllied a few years ago don't have much to do with today.

I personally like hearing about what you can get on both sides of the spectrum. It keeps me up to date on what the market offers.
post #5233 of 10476 Old 07-30-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats odd. As a D* subscriber, I have no interest in Charter, and don't imagine Charter subscribers have much interest in D* or E* either. A whole lot of places have broken their subscriptions into multiple parts.

Don't most of them get more traffic, though? I mean, this thread only has a few posts a day, and sometimes not even that, so the signal-to-noise ratio regardless of someone's preferred delivery method is pretty easy to deal with.

I'll admit to my preference being for one thread, personally.
post #5234 of 10476 Old 07-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post

Don't most of them get more traffic, though?

I think the ones with a lot of posts are probably those with mainly OTA HD. I know I was far more interested in this thread when that was what I had.
You are clearly entitled to your opinion about being one thread, and limited posting does sort of tie in with that. How about eliminating a few thousand old posts, however?

post #5235 of 10476 Old 07-30-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post

Don't most of them get more traffic, though? I mean, this thread only has a few posts a day, and sometimes not even that, so the signal-to-noise ratio regardless of someone's preferred delivery method is pretty easy to deal with.

Well to me this thread is for HDTV reception. No matter how it is you receive it. If you want a SAT only thread, there are several forums on the Internet that only deal with SAT TV.
post #5236 of 10476 Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Actually, I first joined AVS back when I was debating leaving Charter for D*. Having never had satellite, I found this thread to be very useful in getting information for both sides from people in my local area.
post #5237 of 10476 Old 07-31-2008, 12:21 PM

I just moved to a new apartment in Seneca, SC. I am using a Channel Master 4220M antenna connected to a CM 7777 Titan pre-amp to pick up OTA. I get nearly 100% signal strength for WYFF, WSPA, WLOS, WHNS, WYCW, WUNF, and WMYA. I do not get any signal from WNTV. I used tvfool.com's antenna tool and it looks like I'd need to be up at least 2 floors to get a decent line to WNTVs transmitter.

That said, having been a little disappointed in the compression WNTV used for their HD feed (motion artifacts, some pixelation) which are present at 1080i (as opposed to their being gone during their test at 720p at the end of last year), I was wondering if people who read this thread had an opinion on whether WUNF or WNTV has better HD quality. I only had a chance to quickly hook up my antenna to check for signal strengths and won't have my TV set up for a little while and when I checked the signals it wasn't during UNC-TVs HD broadcasting window. Their SD picture quality looked pretty good at the time.

Any opinions on WUNF vs WNTV's HD picture quality would be much appreciated.
post #5238 of 10476 Old 07-31-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwalke View Post

I am using a Channel Master 4220M antenna connected to a CM 7777 Titan pre-amp to pick up OTA. [...] I do not get any signal from WNTV.

The 4220M is for UHF only. WNTV's digital signal is on VHF channel 9. Note that although WSPA and WLOS currently have their digital signals on UHF (53 and 56 respectively), when they shut down their VHF analog signals in February they will move their digital signals to their VHF channels (7 and 13).

So you'd better start shopping for a combination VHF/UHF antenna! You might want to look into one of the new Winegard models that do high-VHF (7-13) and UHF, because there are no digital signals on low VHF (2-6) in our area, either now or in the future. Low-VHF requires the largest antenna elements, so omitting it saves a lot of size and weight.

I've already switched from a large combination VHF/UHF antenna to a pair of antennas, one for high VHF and one for UHF, because I don't need either of my low-VHF analog stations any more (WYFF-4 and WBTV-3).
post #5239 of 10476 Old 07-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think the ones with a lot of posts are probably those with mainly OTA HD. I know I was far more interested in this thread when that was what I had.
You are clearly entitled to your opinion about being one thread, and limited posting does sort of tie in with that. How about eliminating a few thousand old posts, however?

Quote:

Within this DMA, we're a cornucopia of different HD-types: OTA, Cable, D* and E*. We're not in an area for which OTA is the main source of HD due to Mountains, Trees, etc. I don't recall the intent of this thread being strictly OTA. BTW, I looked through the thousands of posts in this "unwieldy" thread to come to that particular conclusion. You might disagree with the postings here or the direction of this thread, but, to the credit of all of the posters here in relation to HD reception, I believe all of the information and opinions that are provided here has made each one of us better HDTV Consumers.

When I looked through the old posts a few weeks ago for the history of Cable adding HD within this DMA, it was very valuable information as it had dates for which new channels were added and demonstrated how slow the additions were taking place (as reported by the thread's readers like myself). I wouldn't be an advocate of purging that history as it contains valuable info from the thousands of previous posts. Besides, isn't your signature "Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess."?

Just because somebody says lets do something doesn't mean we all have to jump on the bandwagon. Please feel free to use the D* Thread if you feel the need to keep up with just D* issues: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=914047 (highly recommended reading) . The rest of us will continue educating each other about our experiences with HD via OTA, Cable and Satellite.

post #5240 of 10476 Old 08-11-2008, 08:06 AM
awp

Guess the forums went down and we're missing like a week-and-a-half of posts. So I'm not sure if anything interesting has come up with Charter's new channels coming on board on Wednesday.

I'm hoping that they'll be opening up their bandwidth to also add back the HD on Demand for premiums on the 13th as well.
post #5241 of 10476 Old 08-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp View Post

Guess the forums went down and we're missing like a week-and-a-half of posts. So I'm not sure if anything interesting has come up with Charter's new channels coming on board on Wednesday.

I'm hoping that they'll be opening up their bandwidth to also add back the HD on Demand for premiums on the 13th as well.

The bigger question is whether we'll get two more full-time HD channels to fill in the slots for the two temporary NBC Olympics HD Channels when they go away after 8/25. Wishful thinking, I know.

post #5242 of 10476 Old 08-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

The bigger question is whether we'll get two more full-time HD channels to fill in the slots for the two temporary NBC Olympics HD Channels when they go away after 8/25. Wishful thinking, I know.

They are moving 5 analog stations to digital only on 8/13 so they are making room for the current additions on the same date. Whether it is enough for future changes I do not know. But it seems we are seeing a trend of the analogs being moved to digital to make room for more channels. I am not getting my hopes up after it took almost a year to get more HD channels, but maybe they are going to actually start making some improvements this time.
post #5243 of 10476 Old 08-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They are moving 5 analog stations to digital only on 8/13 so they are making room for the current additions on the same date. Whether it is enough for future changes I do not know. But it seems we are seeing a trend of the analogs being moved to digital to make room for more channels. I am not getting my hopes up after it took almost a year to get more HD channels, but maybe they are going to actually start making some improvements this time.

Which 5 analog stations are you referring to? I'm only aware of C-SPAN and INSP moving to digital on this end.

post #5244 of 10476 Old 08-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Which 5 analog stations are you referring to? I'm only aware of C-SPAN and INSP moving to digital on this end.

SoapNet, Toon Disney, Inspirational Network, and WE are moving to the digital only (either on the basic or expanded basic) package. It seems to be 6 channels. I must of not counted them correctly earlier.

Quote:

Channel Current Channel Number Current Tier New Channel Number New Tier Effective Date
CSPAN2 96 Basic 92 Basic (Digital Only) 8/13/2008
E! 69 Exp Basic 60 Exp Basic 8/13/2008
GSN (Game Show) 70 Exp Basic (Digital Only) 144 Exp Basic (Digital Only) 8/13/2008
Inspirational Network 20 Basic 152 Basic (Digital Only) 8/13/2008
National Geographic 72 Exp Basic 70 Exp Basic 8/13/2008
ReelzChannel 156 Digital View 173 Digital View 8/13/2008
Soap Net 68 Exp Basic 84 Exp Basic (Digital Only) 8/13/2008
Toon Disney 60 Exp Basic 83 Exp Basic (Digital Only) 8/13/2008
TV Guide 98 Basic 97 Basic 8/13/2008
Univision 21 Basic 96 Basic 8/13/2008
Women's Entertainment 37 Exp Basic 163 Digital View 8/13/2008

post #5245 of 10476 Old 08-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

SoapNet, Toon Disney, Inspirational Network, and WE are moving to the digital only (either on the basic or expanded basic) package. It seems to be 6 channels. I must of not counted them correctly earlier.

OK, I see the difference...On the system up here, SoapNet, ToonDisney, WE and GSN have either already migrated to Digital or began in the Digital Tier. The only migrates on the 13th here will be CSPAN2 and INSP.

post #5246 of 10476 Old 08-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

It appears that WYFF's original Local HD Commercials (i.e. John Knows Weather, High School Playbook, etc.) that had aired since Friday aren't presently airing in HD. I wonder if issues have come up with the new HD Switcher that douglasd5 mentioned a couple of weeks ago. To restate a previous post, they now have the HD Crawl that's presently running info about the upcoming DTV Transition, as well.

post #5247 of 10476 Old 08-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Oxb

The 5 new HD channels on Charter are here. From the Weather Channel (no locals on the 8s though) to stretchoTBS.
post #5248 of 10476 Old 08-13-2008, 07:25 AM
awp

Yeah, I checked out the 5 new channels this morning. Didn't have time to check On Demand, though. Does any one know --- along with the HD channel additions --- they added back the HD On Demand for Premiums?

I still wish D* was an option for me. We have seven televisions (only one HD) in our house so the cost of additional receivers makes it prohibative.
post #5249 of 10476 Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 AM

Any word on SciFiHD being added to Charter?
post #5250 of 10476 Old 08-13-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxb View Post

The 5 new HD channels on Charter are here. From the Weather Channel (no locals on the 8s though) to stretchoTBS.

I also noticed we go some national type thing when it was supposed to be local on the 8's as well. I still don't get their reasoning for some of the channels they are adding first. Some of the most watched cable networks still aren't added. Why you would add the channels they did over those baffles me.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page