2Likes

post #901 of 10533 Old 11-01-2004, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
foxeng: I did not understand this portion of your comment above:
"no control over the signal during network like adding weather crawls or squeeze backs or other type graphics except bugs."
Is your comment related to Fox and HD, or network operations in general?

JB - Asheville

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 10533 Old 11-01-2004, 12:42 PM

Jon, sounds like you are very close to success with the antenna. As I'm sure you know, the higher you can get your antenna the better. With regard to your attic: do you have a heater or A/C unit up there? If you do, then there should be conduit running from your crawlspace up to it (assuming you have a crawl space). I was perplexed when I first got started but got that tip and it helped. I ran RG6 and 20 gauge wire together down thru two floors into my crawl space and then over to my living room. I'm guessing that if you get the antenna up higher you will pick up WLOS-DT and all the ETV stations if you don't already. Good luck.
post #903 of 10533 Old 11-01-2004, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Originally posted by jerry birdwell
foxeng: I did not understand this portion of your comment above:
"no control over the signal during network like adding weather crawls or squeeze backs or other type graphics except bugs."
Is your comment related to Fox and HD, or network operations in general?

FOX specifically since the network signal is last in line and fed straight from the receiver to the transmitter. The other network stations could do such things if they had the HD graphics equipment since the HD signal is decompressed back out to HD SDI and then manipulated and all this stuff could be added and then re-encoded to ATSC but almost all (there are a few exceptions) do not at this time because of the cost and 95% of the viewers are still analog.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #904 of 10533 Old 11-01-2004, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks

JB - Asheville

post #905 of 10533 Old 11-01-2004, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by foxeng
The splicer has the station's bug in it so it can be put in and taken out when needed by either network or the station.

As a viewer I know you like that, but from a station's standpoint, that is a big drawback.

Actually, as a viewer, I think that bug insertion for anything more than 10-15 seconds as you come out of commercial is a drawback, but that is from the viewer's perspective.

Personally, I have never understood why the stations/networks have to leave it up throughout the entire program.

And, while we're at it, how about those "Up Now" , "Coming up" etc. banners overlaid on the programs, and covering as much as 20% of the screen? If we don't know what we're watching now, we must be in pretty bad shape...The stations are looking more and more like CNN!!

How about the dings, honks, booms, and swishes added every time a station shows scores, replays, flashbacks, and other miscellany? Don't we have enough noise in this world???

(kicks soapbox into the corner....)

Richard
post #906 of 10533 Old 11-01-2004, 09:20 PM

I can't agree more. All of the stations do this sort of thing in an effort to "dress up" their broadcast. I don't mind the little scoreboard in the corner with the time countdown. I'm beginning to become irritable about the ticker at the bottom on during the entire broadcast...and why does CBS have their fantasy stats? Isn't all of that online anyway? But, times are changing. Americans crave the most amount of information they can get at one time, and we're impatient about it. Our attention spans have decreased. I find myself becoming bored during a two hour movie because of my attention span. Heck, with football, you run a ten second play and then wait thirty seconds for the next one. During basketball and hockey, they only play for about fifteen minutes and then have a commercial break. I become shocked when watching games on ESPN Classic at how there is nothing on the screen but the game instead of this other modern hooplah. We've become more interested with the delivery of the product instead of its substance. Fortunately for us HD viewers, we now get both most of the time. Okay, I'm getting off of the stump...
post #907 of 10533 Old 11-02-2004, 04:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jerry birdwell
Thanks

There is one item that hasn't hit most people that could jeopardize HD in the short term. With the FCC going obscenity crazy with fines and stations not having delay boxes, I am seeing in some of the other local threads where stations have started to install SD delay boxes (there are not any real HD delay boxes yet) and during sports NOT providing the HD feed so the video and audio can be delayed in case someone says something that they aren't suppose to so the stations don't lose their licenses. Since the HD audience is so small, some stations have elected to just route the SD version to the digital channel with the delayed video and audio to avoid the fines.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #908 of 10533 Old 11-02-2004, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Jeccleston,

You might take a look at Home Depot or Lowes. They have a kit that includes a really long drill bit (4-5' long), a handle to help control it (it can be bent in a radius with the handle to work up walls, etc), and a wire pull (no more taping your wires together) for about $40.00

It is located in the wiring section with the other wire related tools. It is not located in the power tool section.

Just thought I would throw that out there. This item seems like a neccessity for walls with fire blocks in them. Good luck.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #909 of 10533 Old 11-02-2004, 05:59 PM

foxeng

I see your point about the boxes. However, if one our local affiliates did that, their phone would be burnt up with calls. 5% seems like a small number, but it isn't. If you have 100,000 viewers, then that is 5,000 watching the digital signal. If half of those called the station, that's 2,500 phone calls. WOW! I think they would pull it. I have two questions: Why aren't the delay boxes at the national level for national stuff? And two, does it really matter at the local level for local stuff, since it isn't in HD anyway?
post #910 of 10533 Old 11-03-2004, 04:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dashaund
foxeng

I see your point about the boxes. However, if one our local affiliates did that, their phone would be burnt up with calls. 5% seems like a small number, but it isn't. If you have 100,000 viewers, then that is 5,000 watching the digital signal. If half of those called the station, that's 2,500 phone calls. WOW! I think they would pull it. I have two questions: Why aren't the delay boxes at the national level for national stuff? And two, does it really matter at the local level for local stuff, since it isn't in HD anyway?

5% IS a small number when 95% of your audience doesn't see the HD and your license is in jeopardy, stations WILL take the heat.

post #911 of 10533 Old 11-03-2004, 06:00 AM

The Moxi guide issue with HDNet / HDNet Movies has been fixed! Thanks Charter.
post #912 of 10533 Old 11-03-2004, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Awesome. I sent another barrage of e-mails on Sunday to seemingly everything vaguely relevant on charter.com -- maybe that finally did the trick. Now I just have to see if Andy Richter Controls the Universe recorded correctly this morning or not.
post #913 of 10533 Old 11-03-2004, 12:20 PM

Ok i think i have messed up my charter cable while i was trying to pull it thru the wall. My PQ has been poor since i did it. I pulled the "cap" at the end off which i have replace twice but it still ends up pulling off. I can notice the PQ dropping off as soon as the "cap" loosens, right now i have the cap off and just coax stuck into the outlet which isnt working well. Which leads to my next question what wires do i need o run to get D* or do they run them all. Do they use the same lines as charter used or do they run new ones?
post #914 of 10533 Old 11-03-2004, 01:55 PM

My best guess would be that they ran new ones. First off, you MUST use RG6 cable (which is probably what you have for cable anyway), and it cannot have a splitter on it...period. The high frequencies used, accompanied with the fact that it isn't a very strong signal, requires high shielded cable with as little signal loss as possible. To sum it up, you don't want to play tricks with the cable or you will receive very poor or no performance at all. As far as your cabling problems now, either solder a new end on or run a new cable, or install D* (good time to do so, right?). I've installed about six D* dishes...its a very simple process. Heck, I need to get into the mini-dish market because it seems very profitable and very easy to do. The most difficult part is running the wires. Believe me, its worth the effort to go D* than to stick with Charter...trust me. And if you don't want the headache, let a professional do it! Good luck!
post #915 of 10533 Old 11-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

I absolutely agree with the above. Stay away from Charter, go to Directv or Dish, you will be thrilled if PQ is important to you. For OTA, the best picture by far, try the CM 4228.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess.
post #916 of 10533 Old 11-03-2004, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by AppState
The Moxi guide issue with HDNet / HDNet Movies has been fixed! Thanks Charter.

Aargh. Finally happens, and now my Moxi won't download program updates anymore. (Tried manually triggering it several times tonight; no dice.) It's stuck on extremely stale data from October 28th, so I'm not able to see the change, at least not yet.
post #917 of 10533 Old 11-04-2004, 06:55 AM

AT: Do you have a splitter on the coax coming in to the Moxi? If so, try removing it for a couple of days. My box was having trouble communicating with Charter when split (using a Charter provided splitter), especially during setup. I was also getting some error indicators on the diagnostics screen that possibly implied a lack of two-way communication. Removing the splitter seemed to cure those issues (at the expense of slightly clearer analog).

Hope that helps.
post #918 of 10533 Old 11-04-2004, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

No, I don't have a splitter there. (I have one in a different jack upstairs, though.) I'm going straight from the wall to the Moxi. Out of curiosity, could you check the diagnostics screen and let me know when you received your last program update?
post #919 of 10533 Old 11-04-2004, 09:12 AM

last epg update 2004-11-04 10:01:08

last software update 2004-10-08-09:48:43

software version 3.0.80LR-P.75011

The guide changed yesterday around 8:45 AM while the tv was being watched. Stuttered for a few seconds and the guide was then correct, if that helps any.
post #920 of 10533 Old 11-04-2004, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for taking a look at that. Even though it wasn't a splitter issue, I think you might be putting me on the right track. I forgot I'd done this, but on the evening of the 29th, I disconnected and reconnected everything. I was receiving all my channels fine, so I assumed everything was normal, but maybe the cable running from the wall to the box is just loose enough to prevent a download of the guide or something. I'll readjust everything when I get home and see if that clears everything up.
post #921 of 10533 Old 11-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

This may be old news but I noticed last night that "Smallville" was broadcast in HD on 14-1.
post #922 of 10533 Old 11-04-2004, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

14-1?? Did you perhaps mean to type 40-1? I am not aware of a 14-1 in the GSP area, or perhaps you are listing the actual station and not what it remaps too. I only know the remapped channel numbers.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #923 of 10533 Old 11-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

"or perhaps you are listing the actual station and not what it remaps too. "

Yep.
post #924 of 10533 Old 11-04-2004, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Apps1
This may be old news but I noticed last night that "Smallville" was broadcast in HD on 14-1.

This is new news to me so thanks for posting. Now we've only got WASV to go!

Hitachi 57s715
Samsung LN-S4051D
HR 10-250 HD Tivo (2)
HR 20-700 (2)
Denon Home Theatre System
Philips Upconverting DVD Player
post #925 of 10533 Old 11-05-2004, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool. Thanks.

Just a quick question. Has WHNS-DT lowered their signal level over the last couple of days? I'm sure they probably haven't, but I am no longer getting a signal where I got a very stable signal before. I just received my rotor and will hopefully be installing it this weekend, so it is really a mute point, but I was just curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

I suspect it is just the time of year. and the fact that we all probably have to tweak our antenna positions to get optimal reception now that the weather has changed.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #926 of 10533 Old 11-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sic0048
Cool. Thanks.

Just a quick question. Has WHNS-DT lowered their signal level over the last couple of days? I'm sure they probably haven't, but I am no longer getting a signal where I got a very stable signal before. I just received my rotor and will hopefully be installing it this weekend, so it is really a mute point, but I was just curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

I suspect it is just the time of year. and the fact that we all probably have to tweak our antenna positions to get optimal reception now that the weather has changed.

I haven't noticed any difference.
post #927 of 10533 Old 11-05-2004, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

After a very lengthy couple of phone calls, it turns out my problem with the Moxi was that Charter had reprovisioned the modem in the box (I'm not really familiar with that terminology; they tossed around the acronym "VPR" a lot). They redid that while I was on the phone, and I was then able to download the EPG without any problems. (I'm still seeing HDNet and HDNet Movies transposed, but I'll wait until the box has had a chance to stop and breathe before raising another fuss, just in case the change picks up between now and then.)

Edit: ...and it's not. I guess I'll have to keep pestering Charter. Apparently the Simpsonville channel map is its own unique and annoying animal.
post #928 of 10533 Old 11-06-2004, 06:33 PM

I'm watching WHNS-DT right now, and its an SD show but its in the standard 4:3 and not stretched. Anyone else seeing this? I'll wait till 10pm to see if the local news is like that.
post #929 of 10533 Old 11-06-2004, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dashaund
I'm watching WHNS-DT right now, and its an SD show but its in the standard 4:3 and not stretched. Anyone else seeing this? I'll wait till 10pm to see if the local news is like that.

During network any 4:3 show that is played off the splicer will be 4:3 with black side bars.

post #930 of 10533 Old 11-06-2004, 09:42 PM

I watched a little bit of the Georgia Tech, NC State game on WHNS-DT and it wasn't listed as HD, but it didn't have the black bars. It did seem like a nice digital upconvert though.

Hitachi 57s715
Samsung LN-S4051D
HR 10-250 HD Tivo (2)
HR 20-700 (2)
Denon Home Theatre System
Philips Upconverting DVD Player
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List
tylerSC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page