Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
This is truly a disaster. It should be illegal to broadcast a distorted image.
I've noticed something different two days ago on WLOS/WMYA's weather bulletins. The crawl is light-red and the Prestige Subaru logo disappeared and the crawl was going faster and the viewing area map remains at the same place as usual. Had you noticed it yet?

Also had you heard Casey Kasem died at 82? I remember him use to host TOP 40 on TV on WYFF 4 in the early 1990s. He'll be missed
I don't live near Greenville, I just pay attention to the markets near me. I grew up listening to Casey Kasem's top 40. I refused to listen to Rick Dees for years because Casey was my man. I even listened to his daughter on iheartRadio until she left (I assume due to her father's sickness and legal battles) even though Nicky Sixx is awful (musically and as a DJ). It's sad to see him depart, especially on Fathers Day.

Tickers just shouldn't be. There should be one subchannel per market (or per transmitter site) on the most power signal in that cluster that is for emergency crap. The FCC should require that cable and satellite both carry it. I HATE TICKERS, especially those that distort the image. It's one of the reasons I like OTA, options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10412 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The weather scrolls in the Asheville/GSP market are particularly annoying. Charlotte does a better job. But I suppose they are a necessity in view of a potentially life threatening emergency. And perhaps a FCC requirement.
post #10413 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The weather scrolls in the Asheville/GSP market are particularly annoying. Charlotte does a better job. But I suppose they are a necessity in view of a potentially life threatening emergency. And perhaps a FCC requirement.
Same story for the NYC stations like I saw on WNBC 4 while watching Days of Our Lives on that website http://www.tvpc.com two years ago sometimes they have NBC feeds from Miami, Orlando, Los Angeles, and NYC and others like ABC, CBS, FOX, and CW too. They're more discreet and less invasive like Charlotte, NC TV stations, also Columbia, SC too, and some Augusta, GA stations too. I sent a message to Christy Henderson of our CBS station and others to learn what Charlotte, NC does during severe weather crawls on FB. Also I saw the severe weather crawls on WESH 2 from Orlando on TVPC two years ago, unlike WESH's sister station (also NBC) WYFF 4 they show their crawls on the top of the screen instead of bottom and they used the horn sounds instead of NBC Chimes like WYFF 4 here and WIS 10 in Columbia does.

As I say once again, never trust Gordon Smith, Dennis Wharton, and their corrupted organization known as The National Association of Broadcasters aka NAB for short, they are against retransmission consent reform and importing distant and adjacent market feeds on PAY-TV providers (I know it's forbidden on satellite providers like DirecTV to import out-of-market or adjacent feeds unfortunately thanks to silly FCC laws like network non-duplication, syndicated exclusivity, and sports blackouts, unless you have a AM21 OTA tuner and get adjacent feeds).

Here in Greenwood, SC I get my home market Greenville, SC (sometimes I've picked up the ABC station WLOS OTA even though is problematic in our area despite being in moderate signal area in my location) and adjacent Augusta, GA stations in moderate signal and weak and ultra-weak signals of Columbia, SC stations OTA, also some ultra-week Charlotte, NC stations OTA too. But on my C490 Long-Range Outdoor Antenna I currently have outside for OTA stuff, I still having trouble getting WFXG 54 (FOX from Augusta, GA) on RF 31 (51.1) while I can get WAGT is on RF 30 (26.1), WJBF on RF 42 (6.1) and WRDW is on RF 12 (12.1) on OTA of course while the weaker signal in the Augusta, GA DMA I get OTA WCES RF 6 (20.1) aka PBS/GPB.

Spencer Karter

R.I.P. Robin Williams (1951-2014)

Last edited by SpencerKarter85; 06-15-2014 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Typos
post #10414 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Quote:

As I say once again, never trust Gordon Smith, Dennis Wharton, and their corrupted organization known as The National Association of Broadcasters aka NAB for short, they are against retransmission consent reform and importing distant and adjacent market feeds on PAY-TV providers (I know it's forbidden on satellite providers like DirecTV to import out-of-market or adjacent feeds unfortunately thanks to silly FCC laws like network non-duplication, syndicated exclusivity, and sports blackouts, unless you have a AM21 OTA tuner and get adjacent feeds).
You must not want OTA to survive. Either that, or you just don't understand the economics of the broadcast TV industry. There are not enough OTA eyeballs for stations to survive without money from cable and satellite subscribers. And allowing a bunch of out-of-market stations to be on cable and satellite systems would also harm local broadcasters. It's not 1954 anymore. The NAB is doing the best that it can to stand up for the interests of local broadcasters.
post #10415 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 01:43 PM

Reply to veedon's post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You must not want OTA to survive. Either that, or you just don't understand the economics of the broadcast TV industry. There are not enough OTA eyeballs for stations to survive without money from cable and satellite subscribers. And allowing a bunch of out-of-market stations to be on cable and satellite systems would also harm local broadcasters. It's not 1954 anymore. The NAB is doing the best that it can to stand up for the interests of local broadcasters.

I do want OTA to survive, but in Great Britain you'll have to pay a yearly license fee for a TV set, it's the law there, while here in the USA is not. But the NAB are still using outdated 20th century business models and you said that allowing out-of-market feeds on Pay-Television providers would harm it. IMHO I think the silly laws by the FCC like network non-duplication, syndicated exclusivity, and sports blackout rules must go because it's unfair, and it doesn't reflect today's marketplace since we have ways to get content. I already mentioned about the Aereo controversy too. But unfortunately, the NAB are AGAINST Retransmission Consent Reform (which Retransmission Consent is a controversial issue nowadays since last year there was record 127 blackouts that broadcasters forced Pay-Television providers to pull their signals off of their system unless they get the so-called ransom) and I know that Retransmission Consent is part of the outdated 1992 Cable Act bill and people like the American Television Alliance (a coalition of pay-Television providers that want Retransmission Consent Reform and 21st Century rules) , Civil Rights Leaders, ACLU, and politicians want reform one day, but changes won't happen overnight. I remember when CBS forced Time Warner Cable to blackout their O&O stations (and premium Showtime channels) from TWC's system last year before it was restored just in time for last seasons Fall TV shows. Same month, Raycom Media (owners of WBTV) pulled their stations off of Dish Network for 9 days...Same thing! Media General (owners of WSPA) pulled their stations off the same provider for almost 50 days....Same thing! Two months ago Hearst Television (owners of WYFF) pulled their stations off Dish for 14 hours before a new deal is reached.

Of course I heard of the Betamax Case of 1984 (similar to the Aereo case of this year) at Supreme Court. We do need 21st century laws for broadcasting, not outdated 20th century ones IMHO.

Whose side are you on? The NAB or consumers?

http://www.americantelevisionalliance.org

Spencer Karter

post #10416 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm on the side of people understanding that there are tradeoffs, that you can't get everything as cheap as you might want, and that cable and satellite TV is not a necessity. A lot of people act as though the world will end if they don't get their precious cable TV programs.

That "American Television Alliance" is nothing more than a lobbying group for the cable and satellite providers. The broadcasters have their own propaganda campaign to fight back. It's called TVfreedom.org

Don't be deceived. It's all about lobbying and propaganda on all sides.
post #10417 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 02:45 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Quote:

I'm on the side of people understanding that there are tradeoffs, that you can't get everything as cheap as you might want, and that cable and satellite TV is not a necessity. A lot of people act as though the world will end if they don't get their precious cable TV programs.

That "American Television Alliance" is nothing more than a lobbying group for the cable and satellite providers. The broadcasters have their own propaganda campaign to fight back. It's called TVfreedom.org

Don't be deceived. It's all about lobbying and propaganda on all sides.
www.TVfreedom.org is the NAB's rip-off of the American Television Alliance website and they attack Pay-Television providers and lying about supporting Retransmission Consent Reform while the NAB are against the reform. They should shut down TVFreedom.org website IMHO. I'm on American Television Alliance side because they tell the TRUTH!

The NAB are corrupted like the RIAA, MPAA, ESRB, and US Anti-Doping Agency too IMHO. I don't trust the NAB, period. That's for darn sure!

Spencer Karter

post #10418 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Back in the 80's more cable systems used to carry neighboring market signals. But the business model has changed, with the retransmission fees, network non duplication, and syndicated exclusivity. There are now legal and financial issues unless significantly viewed status applies. And not exactly sure how that is always determined. But the issue now is the reallocation of certain OTA broadcast signals due to possible FCC repacking of the RF channels. Hopefully the NAB will help preserve OTA broadcasting and reception.
post #10419 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

The opposition to retransmission consent fees has never made any sense to me. Why should a cable system be able to carry a broadcast network without having to pay for the right? That's sounds like a desire for corporate welfare to me, giving special favors to companies such as DirecTV and Time Warner Cable. I like the current system where the pay-TV providers have to pony up to carry a local broadcast signal just like they have to pony up to carry USA or ESPN.
post #10420 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
The opposition to retransmission consent fees has never made any sense to me. Why should a cable system be able to carry a broadcast network without having to pay for the right? That's sounds like a desire for corporate welfare to me, giving special favors to companies such as DirecTV and Time Warner Cable. I like the current system where the pay-TV providers have to pony up to carry a local broadcast signal just like they have to pony up to carry USA or ESPN.
Well veedon is a Retransmission Consent Proponent? Huh!

I've read tylerSC's reply when cable systems used to carry neighboring markets...That was the CATV era, sadly it's a bygone era. Free OTA signals should be free to be carried on Pay-Television providers (cable, satellite, Telco) for free, not being paid like it's required in that outdated Retransmission Consent law in the 1992 Cable Act. On Pay-Television channels like USA Network, MTV, or ESPN different story, you'll have to pay for it every month. I know that ESPN is one of the most expensive cable networks as of today.

To tell you the truth, Retransmission Consent is damaging TV stations and killing diversity, back then minority owned TV stations were at the rise, now is decreased and people are losing jobs because of the outdated rules that don't reflect on today's marketplace. On the JSAs controversy, I felt sorry for Bismark, North Dakota losing a FOX station and Hastings, Nebraska losing a Peacock station (two stations were owned by Gray TV) because of the restrictions passed by Tom Wheeler and the FCC recently. Charleston, SC market will might lose an ABC affiliate (WCIV 4) because of the JSAs restriction if they don't find a new owner soon.

Retransmission fees are raising by the end of the 2010s it'll cost about more than a billion dollars. IMHO, the outdated Retransmission Consent system is B-R-O-K-E-N!

I'm for the Retransmission Consent R-E-F-O-R-M! Sorry, I have to blow your bubbles veedon. In the words of the late Walter Cronkite "And that's the way it is!"

Feel free to reply folks! TY!

Spencer Karter

post #10421 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

I have no sympathy for cable and satellite subscribers who blame the local broadcast stations for the high cost of pay-TV. If you think the retransmissions consent fees are too high, then call up your pay TV provider and tell that provider not to carry the local station. Or, if you want that local station more than you want MTV and A&E, then tell the provider to drop those cable channels so that the provider can pay for the right to carry the more valuable local broadcast station.

You're not entitled to get the local broadcast station for "free" unless you're willing to set up an antenna to get the OTA signal. If you are going to rely on a pay TV provider to supply the local station to you via a mechanism that you find more convenient than putting up an antenna, then you have to accept that the local broadcaster has every right to demand retransmission payments.

OTA TV was set up to be a benefit to the masses, particularly to the poor (and also because in the early days of TV running cables throughout the nation was prohibitively expensive and OTA provided a way to quickly get the new system up and running.)

If you have enough money to shell out for cable or satellite TV, then count your blessings and quit whining about local stations.

And blaming local broadcast stations for a lack of "diversity" is a lot of nonsense. What have the cable companies ever done to improve society? Absolutely nothing. That's why cable companies have no fans and many people view pay TV providers as companies that should just fade away.

Last edited by veedon; 06-15-2014 at 08:21 PM.
post #10422 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I have no sympathy for cable and satellite subscribers who blame the local broadcast stations for the high cost of pay-TV. If you think the retransmissions consent fees are too high, then call up your pay TV provider and tell that provider not to carry the local station. Or, if you want that local station more than you want MTV and A&E, then tell the provider to drop those cable channels so that the provider can pay for the right to carry the more valuable local broadcast station.

You're not entitled to get the local broadcast station for "free" unless you're willing to set up an antenna to get the OTA signal. If you are going to rely on a pay TV provider to supply the local station to you via a mechanism that you find more convenient than putting up an antenna, then you have to accept that the local broadcaster has every right to demand retransmission payments.

OTA TV was set up to be a benefit to the masses, particularly to the poor (and also because in the early days of TV running cables throughout the nation was prohibitively expensive and OTA provided a way to quickly get the new system up and running.)

If you have enough money to shell out for cable or satellite TV, then count your blessings and quit whining about local stations.

And blaming local broadcast stations for a lack of "diversity" is a lot of nonsense. What have the cable companies ever done to improve society? Absolutely nothing. That's why cable companies have no fans and many people view pay TV providers as companies that should just fade away.

I have to disagree. Not all OTA TV signals are created E-Q-U-A-L depending on the location they live. Yes, you get your Big 4 networks OTA for free with an indoor or outdoor antenna, here where I live the only strong signal I get is the PBS station, Greenville/Spartanburg and adjacent Augusta, GA stations are moderate, weak for most Columbia, SC stations I get OTA, ultra-week for some Charlotte, NC stations OTA.

Sorry I hate to blow your bubbles once again, the outdated controversial Retransmission Consent rules are killing diversity. I've got the PROOF. It's NOT nonsense! http://www.americantelevisionallianc...ing-diversity/

Another PROOF that cable/satellite bills are increasing, it's the broadcaster's fault. http://www.americantelevisionallianc...-broadcasters/

Pay-Television consumers are forced (or have no choice) but to pay the greedy broadcasters (like the corrupted NAB) billions of dollars in the coming years, if the Retransmission Consent reform still not happening. PROOF http://www.americantelevisionallianc...years-to-come/

Prior to 1992 Cable Act, ABC only owned Lifetime, A&E, and ESPN (before Disney bought ABC in 1996), and NBC only owned CNBC (before the NBC-Universal/Comcast era), CBS and FOX didn't own a cable network then. Now it's 2,500% increase. ABC owns Lifetime, A&E, ESPN, ESPNNews, ESPN Classic, ESPN2, ABC Family, Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior (which replaced SOAPnet), LMN, etc. NBCU owns besides CNBC, MSNBC, CNBC World, USA Network, Syfy, Bravo, E!, Golf, NBC Sports Network, Chiller, Sleuth, Telemundo, The Weather Channel, Esquire, etc. CBS was part of Viacom prior to 2005, now CBS owns CBS Sports Network, Smithsonian, TVGN (formerly Prevue Guide, Prevue Channel, TV Guide Channel, TV Guide Network), and premium Showtime channels. FOX of course owns FX, FXM, FXX, Fox News, Fox Business, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, Fox Regional Sports channels (like FOX Sports South and SportsSouth here), etc.

When Retransmission Consent introduced in 1992, we had OTA or Cable TV as our choices, no digital TV signals, no HDTV, no DVRs, and the internet was a toddler. We had analog TV signals (before it died on June 12, 2009), boom-boxes, and VCRs. Yes, technology has changed over the years, but unfortunately our Retransmission Consent rules haven't. That's why we need a reform. Today we have more choices as ever (cable, satellite, and Telco) and some can't afford Pay-Television still watch big 4 networks free OTA with indoor or outdoor antennas, nowadays you get subchannels (like MeTV, This, AntennaTV, Bounce, CoziTV, etc) and we are in the digital era! Stop you're wining!

Actually the Broadcasters are the ones who forced the Pay-Television providers to pull their stations of their providers if a new carriage agreement isn't reached on time. Broadcasters are the Bullies, and they're Greedy IMHO just like CBS' Les Moonves for example (yes, he was the same dude responsible for the cancellation of CBS veteran soap operas Guiding Light and As The World Turns years back). As they say "Money is the root of all evil!" In this tough economy we have to make sacrifices. In 2011, there were 51 Retransmission Consent blackouts, 91 Retransmission Consent blackouts in 2012, and a record 127 last year.

Retransmission Consent must be reform and the American Television Alliance is fighting for it and they also want to eliminate the unfair silly laws like Network Non-Duplication, Syndicated Exclusivity, and Sports Blackout Rules for good! I've forgot to tell you American Television Alliance's Twitter page is VERIFED, TVFreedom.org's Twitter isn't VERIFED. I did the research.

We live in a 21st century world that we still used outdated 20th century rules and regulations. We need to update it, a reform, end of story!

Spencer Karter

post #10423 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Do the cable companies pay people by the word to spout their point of view?
I'm sorry that OTA reception isn't so great in SC. Things are somewhat better in more advanced parts of the nation (such as Massachusetts).

Last edited by veedon; 06-15-2014 at 09:34 PM.
post #10424 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Do the cable companies pay people by the word to spout their point of view?
I'm sorry that OTA reception isn't so great in SC. Things are somewhat better in more advanced parts of the nation.
veedon,

One to describe your reply....Bull****! In other words, you don't care about folks having OTA for Big 4 networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, plus others like The CW, MNT, and non-commercial PBS) and those don't have Pay-Television (example: Charter Cable or DirecTV) since the economy isn't doing good despite the stocks were rising recently you dig!

It's like we're doing a Political Debate!

Spencer Karter

post #10425 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

The beauty of retransmission consent is that it redistributes wealth from the people who don't deserve it to the less fortunate but smarter people who are smart enough to not pay money to watch a bunch of phony duck hunters and a bunch of Kardashians (or the trash that HBO shows). Let the cable subscribers pay more so that the more noble OTA viewers can watch the superior programming that broadcast TV provides.

Frankly, PBS is just about the only thing worth watching anyway. But in order to keep broadcast TV alive, we do also have to keep ABC, CBS, and NBC alive as local broadcasters. If those three networks were to go cable-only, PBS would have a hard time remaining as a viable broadcaster.
post #10426 of 10531 Old 06-15-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
The beauty of retransmission consent is that it redistributes wealth from the people who don't deserve it to the less fortunate but smarter people who are smart enough to not pay money to watch a bunch of phony duck hunters and a bunch of Kardashians (or the trash that HBO shows). Let the cable subscribers pay more so that the more noble OTA viewers can watch the superior programming that broadcast TV provides.

Frankly, PBS is just about the only thing worth watching anyway. But in order to keep broadcast TV alive, we do also have to keep ABC, CBS, and NBC alive as local broadcasters. If those three networks were to go cable-only, PBS would have a hard time remaining as a viable broadcaster.
On the last paragraph, the greedy broadcasters like CBS and FOX said the same thing if they don't get their way on the ongoing Aereo Supreme Court case if Aereo wins. They would get CBS and FOX be cable-only, I don't want to see that in the future you dig! I know that Aereo is a controversial product.

BTW, I'm against the NAB's hypocrisy, tricks and tactics. I'm on American Television Alliance's side not the NAB's knock-off called TVfreedom.org

Spencer Karter

Last edited by SpencerKarter85; 06-15-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Additions
post #10427 of 10531 Old 06-16-2014, 12:28 PM

Folks in Western Carolinas and Northeast Georgia. Had you ever recorded stuff from WFBC/WYFF 4 (NBC), WSPA 7 (CBS), WLOS 13 (ABC), WGGS 16 (Religious Independent), WHNS 21 (then Independent, now FOX), WNTV 29 (PBS/SCETV), WUNF 33 (PBS/UNC-TV), WAIM/WAXA/WFBC/WBSC/WMYA 40, and WASV/WYCW 62 on VHS in the past between 1977-2000?

The earliest VHS recordings from WYFF 4 I got on it was taped over from a home video of Three Stooges shorts, with a partial promo for NBC's Summer Sunday USA with current California Governor Jerry Brown with ex-GF Linda Rondstant? with Linda Ellerbee (now at Nickelodeon) and Andrea Mitchell (still at NBC News as of Today) after the promo was over it cuts off the promo for Days of Our Lives while network music played in the background it shows Kenn Sparks quiet at the NewsCenter4 desk for promo of Noon Newscast with Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo of course. It was recorded in mid-July 1984. Another VHS to DVD-R recording between January-May 1986 was partial recordings of NBC's Days of Our Lives with commercials and from the May 14, 1986 episode was interrupted by an NBC News Special Report anchored by the late John Palmer on the aftermath of Chernobyl thingy and it had the Proud N logo on the special report despite the current NBC logo was introduced two days earlier officially. After 5/14/1986 Days episode, it has NBC promos with Proud N logo and Today Show promo (then hosted by Gumbel/Pauley) some local commercials, Donahue promo for WYFF 4 (before moved to rival WLOS 13 in 1987) with Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo and Proud N logo as well, then a NewsCenter4 bumper with NewsCenter4 logo in Silver on top of the screen, on the bottom Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo, white call letters, and current 6 feathered NBC logo (the earliest recordings of the current NBC logo I have), and first few seconds of now-defunct Another World. Another Days episode, it has a PSA with Malcolm Jamal Warner with Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo, NewsCenter4 promo with Proud N logo. Another it has a promo for NewsCenter4 with Carl Clark, Carol Anderson (Goldsmith) which she's still at 4 today, and the late Charlie Gertz. It also has partial promo of PM Magazine with Red/Blue Arrow 4 with Proud N logo, and a promo from NewsCenter4 from circa January 1986.

Another DVD-R is a repeat of 1985's Motown Returns at The Apollo on NBC (recorded August 3, 1986). Locals, one promo a off-network showings of Diff'rent Strokes with silver Arrow 4 logo and call letters and current NBC logo with Charlie Van Dyke doing v/o. Two promos has future Weather Channel personality Mike Seidel doing 11pm teasers for NewsCenter4 (same graphics used from May 14, 1986), Alta Snell doing the news update with Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo, and a commercial after the news update, it has the Gold Arrow 4 logo with current NBC peacock with Charlie Van Dyke doing v/o "South Carolina Television Station of the Year" thingy.

VHS tapes from WYFF 4: July 2, 1989 a repeat of NBC movie "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" with local promos from NewsCenter4 with Lizz Walker and longtime mainstays Michael Cogdill and Dale Gilbert. It has a promo for Primetime with Annette Estes where one interview she interviewed Willard Scott (sans toupee).

August 1989, a partial VHS recording of the repeat of the 1986 NBC mini-series ON WINGS OF EAGLES, it has an NBC News At This Hour segment anchored by the late Garrick Utley, a NewsCenter4 promo, a Burt Wolf promo as well. Gold Arrow 4 logo of course.

From November 13, 1989: When NewsCenter4 already became News4, I've got a partial recording of The NBC TV-Movie CAST THE FIRST STONE (OBWC) and promos for News4 as well with Clark and Estes, and even ex personnel like Jeff Abell, and the late Charlie Gertz. Also Gold Arrow 4 logo too.

November 26, 1989 VHS recording was a repeat of the NBC movie 1986's TOP GUN. It has a Golden Apple Award promo, News4 Tonight with Codgill/Walker, a sports teaser with Paul Johnson, etc.

January 22, 1990 VHS recording of a repeat of the NBC movie 1986's THE DELTA FORCE. It has News4 promos with Clark/Estes, Judy Booker (now at rival station) filling in for Gertz doing weather promo, etc.

February 4, 1990 VHS recording of the NBC movie 1987's LETHAL WEAPON has News4 promos with Cogdill/Walker.

February 11 and 13, 1990 VHS recording of the NBC mini-series BLIND FAITH (with the late greats Robert Urich and Dennis Farina and pre-Big Bang Theory Johnny Galecki) with News4 promos with Codgill/Walker about the release of the late Nelson Mandella, Clark/Estes and News4 Speed Week promo, and the late Charlie Gertz too. (OBWC)

February 19, 1990 VHS recording of a repeat of the TV-movie of the short lived NBC show NASTY BOYS. It has Clark/Estes News4 promos with Abell, WYFF 4 station ID minus words "Your Friend", after the end of the movie it has promos of NBC's movies "A Family For Joe" and "Too Young to Die?", etc.

February 25, 1990 VHS recording of a TV-movie later short lived series on NBC starring the late Robert Mitchum called A FAMILY FOR JOE (OBWC) it has Dale Gilbert weather teaser for News4, Deborah Norville (TODAY show then co-host) doing NBC NEWS AT THIS HOUR, etc.

February 26, 1990 VHS recording of a TV-movie TO YOUNG TO DIE? (OBWC) with then-unknown Brad Pitt, it has News4 promos with Clark/Estes, Abell, and Gertz, and the whose on first promo for the debut of News4 This Morning which first broadcast on March 5, 1990, etc.

January 6, 1991 VHS recording of NBC TV movie PERRY MASON: THE CASE OF THE RUTHLESS REPORTER (OBWC) has TMYK promo with Betty White, News4 promos with Cogdill/Walker, after the movie partial recording of News4 11pm newscast. It was before the late Charlie Gertz retired, the Arrow 4 logo retired, and John Cessarich arrived.

To Be Continued....

I'll tell you more VHS recordings I got in the future from other stations. I hope you'll like it tylerSC!

Spencer Karter

post #10428 of 10531 Old 06-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My oldest local recording is a 1973 SC ETV Broadcast of President Nixon's visit to address the S.C Legislature on the Vietnam War. It runs about 90 minutes, from arrival to sign off after his departure.

I do have a 1974 or 75 WSPA newscast covering President Ford's visit to Greenville. It has some raw WSPA film footage at the end of it.

I also have a WBTV remote broadcast of a Ford Visit to Charlotte around the same time period.

Somewhere I have an old VHS tape of one of the Charlie Brown specials from WSPA and if I remember correctly it has part of one of their old 11pm newcasts on it. I'll see if I can dig it up. Lastly it is older, but I have WSOC TV's "Hurricane Hugo Video Scrapbook" that condensed their coverage of Hurricane Hugo down.

I'd be happy to send you DVDs of the 1970's era broadcasts if you'll PM me. I tried putting them on YouTube, but MPEG4 and VHS don't mix very well sometimes.
Retspin likes this.
post #10429 of 10531 Old 06-17-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Old videos

Sounds like you have quite a video collection there, SpencerKarter. Very interesting. Somewhere I have some old VHS tapes from WBTV and WSOC newscasts during the late 1980's. Bill Walker and Bob Inman were the prominent anchors, and Doug Mayes had just moved from WBTV to WSOC. Female anchors included Janet England, who also changed from WBTV to WSOC, as well as Meg MacDonald and later Debi Faubion. Back then, Paul Cameron was the sports anchor at WBTV, although they had tried to lure Harold Johnson away from WSOC. Ray Boylan had replaced Jerry Peterson as the meteorologist at WSOC, and Eric Thomas took over from Mike McKay. WSOC had their famous newsroom set, which they used with various modifications for the better part of 30 years. Many of the news tapes I have featured coverage of the PTL scandal with Jim and Tammy Bakker, including the big debacle when Jerry Falwell took over and went down the Heritage USA waterslide. Speaking of which, I would love to have more videotapes of the old PTL programs.
post #10430 of 10531 Old 06-19-2014, 01:53 PM

Personnel changes at WLOS ABC 13!

It's official: After 11 years at ABC 13 doing morning weather, Julie Wunder is leaving the station next month to pursue other interests and her health issues. No word yet on her replacement.

I hope she doesn't end up like the late Keisha Kirkland (formerly of WYFF 4) when she died last year from cancer.

We'll miss you Julie W!

Spencer Karter

post #10431 of 10531 Old 06-20-2014, 05:48 AM

More of my VHS collection that was recorded from Greenville, SC TV stations.

Between 1989-1991 I've got some CBS TV-movies recorded from WSPA-TV 7 plus one off-network showing of 1984's The Terminator recorded from WSPA 7 in 1990, one of the promos it has 7 Eyewitness News promo with Tom Crabtree, who'll will replaced Allen Denton as the main anchor in late 1993 on 6 and 11pm newscasts. Also I've got some Christmas specials recorded from 1992 with of course Rudolph and Frosty The Snowman. Plus Charlie Brown Christmas (which CBS had the rights at the time). Also some made-for-TV movies Child of Rage from September 1992, and John List from February 1993.

Also I've got some ABC stuff recorded from WLOS 13 the earliest I've got was from late January 1989 when ABC broadcast The Sunday Night Movie airing of Ghostbusters, I know that Harold Ramis and Casem recently died. I've got some other movies recorded between late 1989-1991 (some James Bond movies too).

On FOX stuff taped from WHNS 21 in 1990 it has mostly off-network movies, an early episode of The Simpsons, etc. From early 1991 I've got FOX movie airing of Young Guns.

Sorry I don't have any VHS tapes from WAXA 40 (before and after FOX era before 8/31/1989 sign-off), nor WGGS 16.

Spencer Karter

post #10432 of 10531 Old 06-20-2014, 08:11 AM

I've made a phone call to WYFF 4 (NBC) today about my suggestions about severe weather crawls.

I know TV stations are required to put severe weather bulletins on the screen at the event of severe weather.

I mentioned to the woman that WYFF and Greenville/Spartanburg market is notorious for leaving the severe weather thingy on the screen at all times during severe weather like WYFF does during common severe t-storm warnings during the summer which they leave the crawls on at all times (especially during commercial breaks either NBC or syndicated) which is very annoying. I've made some suggestions to them what they need to do....Watch the stations from Columbia or Charlotte for example when they have Severe Weather bulletins and they do it very discreet and minimally invasive unlike this market does. I've also mentioned stations WIS from Columbia and WSOC from Charlotte as examples.

What do you think tylerSC?

Spencer Karter

post #10433 of 10531 Old 06-20-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've made a phone call to WYFF 4 (NBC) today about my suggestions about severe weather crawls.

I know TV stations are required to put severe weather bulletins on the screen at the event of severe weather.

I mentioned to the woman that WYFF and Greenville/Spartanburg market is notorious for leaving the severe weather thingy on the screen at all times during severe weather like WYFF does during common severe t-storm warnings during the summer which they leave the crawls on at all times (especially during commercial breaks either NBC or syndicated) which is very annoying. I've made some suggestions to them what they need to do....Watch the stations from Columbia or Charlotte for example when they have Severe Weather bulletins and they do it very discreet and minimally invasive unlike this market does. I've also mentioned stations WIS from Columbia and WSOC from Charlotte as examples.

What do you think tylerSC?
That is a good suggestion, but I don't know if it will do any good. The call screener probably just passed the message along. But, thanks for trying Spencerkarter.
post #10434 of 10531 Old 06-20-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
That is a good suggestion, but I don't know if it will do any good. The call screener probably just passed the message along. But, thanks for trying Spencerkarter.
Well they sort of did my suggestion. During DOOL on WYFF 4 earlier today when a Severe T-Storm Warning happen in the Carolinas, they took it off during some commercials. Not a complete loss!

Spencer Karter

post #10435 of 10531 Old 06-20-2014, 03:55 PM

UPDATE on why Judge Alex (now cancelled but reruns still showing) isn't showing in true HD in Greenville, SC.

I've sent an e-mail to WMYA My40 about the issue. Here's my e-mail I sent them:

Dear WLOS/WMYA,

My name is Spencer Karter and reside in Greenwood, SC. I would like to ask a question about programming on My40.

Despite the first-run syndicated show already cancelled, why are you showing Judge Alex in crude 4x3 SD (with pillar boxes) here despite the show being in 16x9 HD format? I know you show other HD syndicated programs in HD like from Judge Mathis to Springer. Your sister stations WMMP aka MyTV Charleston and WTAT in Charleston, SC doesn't have HD syndicated availability yet same as your sister stations in Greensboro, NC that's what I heard, but WLOS/WMYA are the lucky ones when it comes to HD syndicated programming.

Please write me again ASAP. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Spencer

Now here's the dreadful reply from WMYA My40, you're not going to like this!

Spencer,

Yes, Judge Alex is one of the few SD linear feeds we take. We don’t have an HD recorder available when his show feeds.

This is bad news for viewers in Western Carolinas and Northeast Georgia who wanted to see the now-defunct court show in HD real bad.

My40 should put a disclaimer at the start of the show This Program is NOT in HD IMHO.

What's your thoughts tylerSC and others?

Spencer Karter

Last edited by SpencerKarter85; 06-20-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Additions
post #10436 of 10531 Old 06-20-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
UPDATE on why Judge Alex (now cancelled but reruns still showing) isn't showing in true HD in Greenville, SC.

I've sent an e-mail to WMYA My40 about the issue. Here's my e-mail I sent them:

Dear WLOS/WMYA,

My name is Spencer Karter and reside in Greenwood, SC. I would like to ask a question about programming on My40.

Despite the first-run syndicated show already cancelled, why are you showing Judge Alex in crude 4x3 SD (with pillar boxes) here despite the show being in 16x9 HD format? I know you show other HD syndicated programs in HD like from Judge Mathis to Springer. Your sister stations WMMP aka MyTV Charleston and WTAT in Charleston, SC doesn't have HD syndicated availability yet same as your sister stations in Greensboro, NC that's what I heard, but WLOS/WMYA are the lucky ones when it comes to HD syndicated programming.

Please write me again ASAP. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Spencer

Now here's the dreadful reply from WMYA My40, you're not going to like this!

Spencer,

Yes, Judge Alex is one of the few SD linear feeds we take. We don’t have an HD recorder available when his show feeds.

This is bad news for viewers in Western Carolinas and Northeast Georgia who wanted to see the now-defunct court show in HD real bad.

My40 should put a disclaimer at the start of the show This Program is NOT in HD IMHO.

What's your thoughts tylerSC and others?
I know you are not a fan of crude SD, Spencerkarter. But at least these days most shows are now HD. And Judge Alex probably won't be around much longer.
post #10437 of 10531 Old 06-20-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I know you are not a fan of crude SD, Spencerkarter. But at least these days most shows are now HD. And Judge Alex probably won't be around much longer.
tylerSC,

I remember another court show (sadly off the air now) called Swift Justice during the Nancy Grace era, it was in HD, but after they moved to Los Angeles and Jackie Glass took over, it downgraded to SD just like when the late Joey Bishop's sitcom moved from NBC to CBS in 1964 it reverted back to B&W from Color (as shown in Color during seasons 2 and 3 in the NBC era) and when the original The Price is Right (not the current CBS version which was hosted by Bob Barker from 1972-2007 and Drew Carey from 2007-present) moved from NBC to ABC in 1963 it reverted back to B&W from Color too. Very rare for TV!

Spencer Karter

post #10438 of 10531 Old 06-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

The judge shows are just game shows in disguise, except that in ordinary game shows a contestant has to actually win to rake in the dough. The participants (plaintiffs and defendants) on the judge shows get paid for their appearances, and any judgment against the losing side just gets deducted from the loser's appearance payment. But even the loser walks away a winner in the sense that the show pays the loser for appearing on the show.

Nowadays the judge shows don't even make much of an attempt to follow principles of law. Back when Judge Wapner hosted the original "People's Court", the focus was more on the legal principles and arguments. Today's judge shows hardly give a hoot about the principles of law. They're all about wisecracks and phony drama.
ProjectSHO89 likes this.

Last edited by veedon; 06-21-2014 at 01:25 PM.
post #10439 of 10531 Old 06-21-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
The judge shows are just game shows in disguise, except that in ordinary game shows a contestant has to actually win to rake in the dough. The participants (plaintiffs and defendants) on the judge shows get paid for their appearances, and any judgment against the losing side just gets deducted from the loser's appearance payment. But even the loser walks away a winner in the sense that the show pays the loser for appearing on the show.

Nowadays the judge shows don't even make much of an attempt to follow principles of law. Back when Judge Wapner hosted the original "People's Court", the focus was more on the legal principles and arguments. Today's judge shows hardly give a hoot about the principles of law. They're all about wisecracks and phony drama.
I agree with the wisecrack part veedon, most TV Judges are mean as heck nowadays. But my mom and brother Harold still loves Judge Judy.

I also miss the days when they have dramatized courtroom shows (actors, not real folks) from the 1980s like The Judge, Superior Court (my personal favorite), and the William B. Keene era Divorce Court (with Jim Peck in earlier seasons of 1980s) which the latter is different than today's version. I've never seen the original Divorce Court form 1950s-1969 with Voltaire Perkins which the episodes I think are sadly wiped.

Spencer Karter

post #10440 of 10531 Old 06-21-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe Judge Judy is the most successful court show.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List
tylerSC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page