Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 349 - AVS Forum
First ... 347  348  349 350  351  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Greenville, SC - HDTV
gthrift's Avatar gthrift 11:59 AM 06-22-2014
Is anyone using Northland Communications with a cable card setup? I'm moving to Clemson in a month and want to make sure they will support cablecards a and I can use my HDHomerun Prime.

loggerhead's Avatar loggerhead 12:01 PM 06-22-2014
If Satan has a mother, it is surely Judge Judy.
UScr00ge's Avatar UScr00ge 02:36 PM 06-22-2014
Had a quick question for you guys....I recently switched to antenna and am trying to figure out what my next attempt at a setup should.

I initially tried several Leaf/Winegard flat antennas as well as the direction indoor Terk antenna. I was able to pull in every channel but WLOS, which was sort of a deal breaker since one of the few shows we watch on DirecTV is Jeopardy.

Based on several posts in this thread, I ended up purchasing a HBU33 and a Winegard preamp and scheduled an electrician to come wire it in the attic and run the cable to the box for all the TVs on the same day I cancelled DirecTV and unhooked all the DirecTV boxes. (I'm not handy!) Unfortunately, he took one look at our (impossibly small) attic and said that the HBU33 won't fit in the space I have. Since he had already done the wiring at this point, he went ahead and wired the Costco Winegard in the very top of the attic to the main house connection, and surprisingly I was able to get WLOS with a half-decent signal strength. I was thrilled.

Over the next few days, I tried to monitor the picture on all the TV's in the house, and found that WYFF/WSPA/WLOS would be perfect for minutes at a time, but would have an occasionally signal drop/pixelation/audio cutout. I decided on the Mohu Sky 60 as my next attempt (decent Amazon reviews, small form-factor for the small space I have), and we swapped out the Winegard for it on Friday.

To our surprise, the Mohu Sky performed much worse than the Costco-purchased Winegard, even after placing it in several different spots. We ended up swapping back in the Winegard just to have something hooked up while we decided what to do next.

Right now I'm looking at either a solo RCA ANT751 with the Winegard amp I originally purchased for the HBU33, or hooking both the Winegard and the RCA ANT751 together via a combiner. If I didn't have much luck with the Mohu Sky, will I most likely be disappointed with the ANT751 as well? I was hoping it would perform better since it was directional .... I was planning on pointing it to heading 300 degrees towards most of the stations.

One other option....I still have the indoor Terk directional antenna. Is it worth a shot putting it in the attic?

I figured I'd run it by you folks....I'm trying to limit the amount of trips to the attic....Each time I've been up there I've swore it must be 100 degrees

Obligatory TVFool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6a4e83d4661

House is (unfortunately) in a bit of a valley, which I think explains why I can only get WLOS in the very top of the attic.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 08:15 PM 06-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by UScr00ge View Post
Had a quick question for you guys....I recently switched to antenna and am trying to figure out what my next attempt at a setup should.

I initially tried several Leaf/Winegard flat antennas as well as the direction indoor Terk antenna. I was able to pull in every channel but WLOS, which was sort of a deal breaker since one of the few shows we watch on DirecTV is Jeopardy.

Based on several posts in this thread, I ended up purchasing a HBU33 and a Winegard preamp and scheduled an electrician to come wire it in the attic and run the cable to the box for all the TVs on the same day I cancelled DirecTV and unhooked all the DirecTV boxes. (I'm not handy!) Unfortunately, he took one look at our (impossibly small) attic and said that the HBU33 won't fit in the space I have. Since he had already done the wiring at this point, he went ahead and wired the Costco Winegard in the very top of the attic to the main house connection, and surprisingly I was able to get WLOS with a half-decent signal strength. I was thrilled.

Over the next few days, I tried to monitor the picture on all the TV's in the house, and found that WYFF/WSPA/WLOS would be perfect for minutes at a time, but would have an occasionally signal drop/pixelation/audio cutout. I decided on the Mohu Sky 60 as my next attempt (decent Amazon reviews, small form-factor for the small space I have), and we swapped out the Winegard for it on Friday.

To our surprise, the Mohu Sky performed much worse than the Costco-purchased Winegard, even after placing it in several different spots. We ended up swapping back in the Winegard just to have something hooked up while we decided what to do next.

Right now I'm looking at either a solo RCA ANT751 with the Winegard amp I originally purchased for the HBU33, or hooking both the Winegard and the RCA ANT751 together via a combiner. If I didn't have much luck with the Mohu Sky, will I most likely be disappointed with the ANT751 as well? I was hoping it would perform better since it was directional .... I was planning on pointing it to heading 300 degrees towards most of the stations.

One other option....I still have the indoor Terk directional antenna. Is it worth a shot putting it in the attic?

I figured I'd run it by you folks....I'm trying to limit the amount of trips to the attic....Each time I've been up there I've swore it must be 100 degrees

House is (unfortunately) in a bit of a valley, which I think explains why I can only get WLOS in the very top of the attic.
Your problem may be amplifier issues. The Winegard Flatwave from Costco already has an inline amplifier, and the Mohu Sky also has its own built in amp. So if you are adding a Winegard preamp, then you may be overloading the amp and cancelling out the signal. Or, the problem could be with the power supply being blocked by a splitter or junction box, and not allowing DC power pass. If you could position the power supply before the splitter or junction box, that would be best. Also, a better compact antenna would be the Clearstream 4 which has good UHF gain, and there is an add on VHF kit for 7 and 13. That should fit in your attic. Then add the Winegard preamp. Point the CS4 northeast, and you should receive several Charlotte channels, as well as the GSP channels off the back. The CS4 is sold at Best Buy, and perhaps they will price match Amazon or some other online vendor. You can also get a UHF/VHF signal joiner from RadioShack and add a set of basic rabbit ears to the CS4 and that should also get 7 and 13. Charlotte channels you should get are WBTV-3, WJZY-46, WMYT-55, and WCNC-36. WCNC also carries Jeopardy. I get all of those Charlotte, as well as GSP channels near Mauldin. And be aware those Flatwave and Mohu antennas are not optimized for VHF reception, and will not perform as well as a CS4 or HBU-33.
UScr00ge's Avatar UScr00ge 07:18 AM 06-23-2014
Awesome. I just printed out the size specs of the ClearStream 4 and will measure my attic space tonight.

I just have clarified my original post regarding the amplifier.....I purchased the stand alone Winegard amp when I was planning on using the HBU-33. When we hooked up both the Sky and the Winegard flat antenna, we unhooked the standalone amp and just used the inline version.

If I end up going with the CS4 and a pair of rabbit ears, does the order go something like this?

CS4/Rabbit Ears -> UHF/VHF joiner -> Winegard Amp -> Outside box?
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 08:56 AM 06-23-2014
Quote:
Awesome. I just printed out the size specs of the ClearStream 4 and will measure my attic space tonight.

I just have clarified my original post regarding the amplifier.....I purchased the stand alone Winegard amp when I was planning on using the HBU-33. When we hooked up both the Sky and the Winegard flat antenna, we unhooked the standalone amp and just used the inline version.

If I end up going with the CS4 and a pair of rabbit ears, does the order go something like this?

CS4/Rabbit Ears -> UHF/VHF joiner -> Winegard Amp -> Outside box?
That sounds about right. But I am concerned about that outside junction box. That split is where the signal loss may be occurring, and it could be blocking the DC power pass from the power supply. Do you have a power outlet in the attic so you can put the power supply before the junction box? And what type of Winegard amp do you have? Is it LNA-200 or LNA-100? And it may be easier to order the VHF add on kit from Antennas Direct unless you have a good set of rabbit ears to connect to the CS4. Although a dedicated 7-13 antenna from Antennacraft would be best if you have room. Sold by Solid Signal or Summit Source. And the UVSJ looks like a regular splitter, but if you go to Radioshack be sure it says UHF/VHF signal joiner on the label. And it passes power for the amp on the UHF side if used down the line. Good luck.
UScr00ge's Avatar UScr00ge 09:15 AM 06-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
That sounds about right. But I am concerned about that outside junction box. That split is where the signal loss may be occurring, and it could be blocking the DC power pass from the power supply. Do you have a power outlet in the attic so you can put the power supply before the junction box? And what type of Winegard amp do you have? Is it LNA-200 or LNA-100? And it may be easier to order the VHF add on kit from Antennas Direct unless you have a good set of rabbit ears to connect to the CS4. Although a dedicated 7-13 antenna from Antennacraft would be best if you have room. Sold by Solid Signal or Summit Source. And the UVSJ looks like a regular splitter, but if you go to Radioshack be sure it says UHF/VHF signal joiner on the label. And it passes power for the amp on the UHF side if used down the line. Good luck.
Sorry, should have told you the model earlier. It's the Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT Digital HDTV Preamplifier. It's currently not in place since I'm just using the Winegard flat antenna with it's built it amp plugged in in the attic next to it.

The splitter/jointer I got was http://www.amazon.com/2532-Splitter-...nnel+plus+2532

Sounds like I might need a specific UHF/VHF joiner for the setup that you proposed (versus a generic one). I might drop by Radioshack on the way home and pick one up.

As for the outlet, the in-line amp on the Costco Winegard is plugged in in the attic, so I do have power available up there.

Thanks for all the help by the way. It's super helpful!
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 12:53 PM 06-23-2014
When you go to RadioShack, also get an FM trap. Because boosting FM signals can cause interference, and I am not sure if the LNA-200 has a good FM filter. Also, the amp could be part of the problem due to overload, as most of the local signals are very strong due to close proximity. But you do need a bit of a boost for 13 and some of the Charlotte channels. So I would add a 6db attenuator or variable attenuator to install at the VHF antenna before the preamp. That should eliminate pixilation or dropouts on the local channels. Because RF7 and RF9 (29) are very strong and can overpower 13 when amped. Then point the CS4 northeast towards Charlotte, and it should also receive 4, 21, and 62 from the back. Using the UVSJ to join both antennas going into the preamp. RadioShack also sells short 1ft, 2ft, and 3ft RG6 cables to connect the antennas to the joiner and the preamp.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 01:04 PM 06-23-2014
Quote:
When you go to RadioShack, also get an FM trap. Because boosting FM signals can cause interference, and I am not sure if the LNA-200 has a good FM filter. Also, the amp could be part of the problem due to overload, as most of the local signals are very strong due to close proximity. But you do need a bit of a boost for 13 and some of the Charlotte channels. So I would add a 6db attenuator or variable attenuator to install at the VHF antenna before the preamp. That should eliminate pixilation or dropouts on the local channels. Because RF7 and RF9 (29) are very strong and can overpower 13 when amped. Then point the CS4 northeast towards Charlotte, and it should also receive 4, 21, and 62 from the back. Using the UVSJ to join both antennas going into the preamp. RadioShack also sells short 1ft, 2ft, and 3ft RG6 cables to connect the antennas to the joiner and the preamp.
And while that 2532 Channel Plus splitter may be used as a combiner, there is still a chance of interference when combining 2 different antennas. It may create interference on the UHF channels, whereas the UVSJ will separate the UHF and VHF signals.
dtv_junkie87's Avatar dtv_junkie87 11:10 PM 06-23-2014
WMYA to get getTV on a subchannel soon:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/008...tations/271009

dtv_junkie87
NoWayHozay's Avatar NoWayHozay 06:28 AM 06-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv_junkie87 View Post

dtv_junkie87
Be nice if LOS put that on it's redundant 13.3 subchannel.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 03:34 PM 06-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv_junkie87 View Post

dtv_junkie87
Good to see the getTV coming to the GSP market. They seem to have a decent selection of old movies. Also, the Movies! channel is coming to WJZY 46.2 for those with an outside antenna, which can be received in parts of Greenville and Spartanburg. So soon some new subchannels offering a wider selection of movies, including This TV on WYFF 4.2 and WMYT 55.2 .
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 03:38 PM 06-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWayHozay View Post
Be nice if LOS put that on it's redundant 13.3 subchannel.
Yes I no longer see the point in wasting the bandwith to simulcast 13.1 on 13.3, in that crude SD, as SpencerKarter would say. Looks like they would replace it with some other choice.
SpencerKarter85's Avatar SpencerKarter85 07:43 AM 06-26-2014
Quote:
I believe Judge Judy is the most successful court show.
tylerSC,

My mom and brother Harold loves her. I like to nickname Judge Judy Judge Booty or Judylicious and I've got over the Supreme Courts' controversial ruling that killed Aereo 6-3 yesterday...As a result SCOTUS ruined cord-cutters dreams with nightmares and destroying innovation and The NAB got away with the crime IMHO. But Chet Kanojia said it's not over yet I think. Very shocked yesterday which SCOTUS backstabbed the USA on the 5th anniversary of Michael Jackson's death by ruling to corrupted NAB's favor. Travesty!

IMHO also I think The Copyright Act of 1976 is totally outdated and needs to be updated to suite 21st century needs.

I've got over Black Wednesday yesterday or aka The Day Aereo Died!

BTW, Aereo will always live on in our hearts and memories since it unfortunately never seen the light of day in Greenville, SC or Charlotte, NC. But it did for Atlanta, GA.
SpencerKarter85's Avatar SpencerKarter85 08:24 AM 06-26-2014
Quote:

I've seen your TV Fool OTA report. Unfortunately, you're so out of luck when it comes to getting adjacent markets OTA like say Charlotte, NC except very weak signals from WBTV and WHKY.

Here where I live very lucky. I can get moderate signals of most of the GSP stations (I do have trouble mostly getting ABC 13 WLOS OTA), and adjacent Augusta, GA which Wheel and J! airs on CBS station WRDW 12 in Augusta, GA. Also I can get weak signals of most Columbia, SC stations too also Wheel and J! airs on WOLO 25 aka ABC Columbia of course. Off-and-on I can get some Charlotte, NC OTA at night (only WBTV, WJZY, and WCNC which the latter also airs Wheel & J! in the Queen City)

If you don't believe it. Here's my TV Fool OTA report! http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c693d62cd88f
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 11:11 AM 06-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
I've seen your TV Fool OTA report. Unfortunately, you're so out of luck when it comes to getting adjacent markets OTA like say Charlotte, NC except very weak signals from WBTV and WHKY.

Here where I live very lucky. I can get moderate signals of most of the GSP stations (I do have trouble mostly getting ABC 13 WLOS OTA), and adjacent Augusta, GA which Wheel and J! airs on CBS station WRDW 12 in Augusta, GA. Also I can get weak signals of most Columbia, SC stations too also Wheel and J! airs on WOLO 25 aka ABC Columbia of course. Off-and-on I can get some Charlotte, NC OTA at night (only WBTV, WJZY, and WCNC which the latter also airs Wheel & J! in the Queen City)

If you don't believe it. Here's my TV Fool OTA report! http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c693d62cd88f
That TV Fool report may not be entirely correct. As that poster should be able to receive a strong signal from WBTV, and a decent signal from WJZY, WCNC, and WMYT, if he chooses. Because he is several miles closer to the towers than I am. And I get all of those channels reliably. And I would not count on WHKY, contrary to that report. And WLOS is feasible, but it does sometimes require strategic work and placement to optimize the signal. Because you do need a bit of an amp to get it, but that same amp can be overloaded by WSPA and SC-ETV.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 11:18 AM 06-26-2014
Re Aereo: Bottomline, if Aereo were allowed to steal a free OTA signal and profit from theft of service for commercial purposes, then free OTA broadcasting for the greater public would likely go dark. Everyone would be forced to purchase a pay TV model of some sort. So I think the SCOTUS and NAB were right in this case to protect free OTA as we know it. So I disagree with you on this one , SpencerKarter. But I remain a strong advocate and supporter of free OTA broadcasting.
SpencerKarter85's Avatar SpencerKarter85 08:32 PM 06-26-2014
Quote:
Re Aereo: Bottomline, if Aereo were allowed to steal a free OTA signal and profit from theft of service for commercial purposes, then free OTA broadcasting for the greater public would likely go dark. Everyone would be forced to purchase a pay TV model of some sort. So I think the SCOTUS and NAB were right in this case to protect free OTA as we know it. So I disagree with you on this one , SpencerKarter. But I remain a strong advocate and supporter of free OTA broadcasting.
Who's side are you on tylerSC? The consumers and activists like me or the traitors and backstabbers like SCOTUS and The NAB? I thought you were my e-pal...I've been betrayed!

BTW IMHO Abolish Retransmission Consent damn it...It's outdated and doesn't reflect 21st century standards!
veedon's Avatar veedon 09:46 PM 06-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Who's side are you on tylerSC? The consumers and activists like me or the traitors and backstabbers like SCOTUS and The NAB? I thought you were my e-pal...I've been betrayed!

BTW IMHO Abolish Retransmission Consent damn it...It's outdated and doesn't reflect 21st century standards!
For all intents and purposes, Aereo was acting like a cable system, so the Court made a good decision in ruling that Aereo needs to play by the same rules as the cable companies.
SpencerKarter85's Avatar SpencerKarter85 10:03 PM 06-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
For all intents and purposes, Aereo was acting like a cable system, so the Court made a good decision in ruling that Aereo needs to play by the same rules as the cable companies.
Oh for God's sake veedon please, the current Retransmission Consent regime is outdated and it needs to be reform to fit 21st century needs. Also The NAB and broadcasters prefer to live in the past using 1960s business models, outdated unfair lame silly laws, and hating innovation. The NAB said that Aereo characterized our lawsuit as an attack on innovation; that claim is demonstrably false That's a DAMN lie! The NAB's rip-off site of American TV Alliance called TVFreedom.org pretend to support retransmission consent reform while they're lying to your faces and blamed providers for blackouts and stifling innovation...The NAB are also lying to your faces too! I wish someone force to shut-down TVFreedom.org

The TRUTH: The Broadcasters forced Pay-Televison providers to blackout their content (despite free OTA with indoor/outdoor antenna) unless the providers paid the so-called ransom.

American TV Alliance tells the truth about The NAB's hypocrisy and their abusive powers and the NAB's hating on reforming outdated retransmission consent laws that we needed for Pete's sake.

In conclusion I have to disagree on your reply about SCOTUS decision. I hate hearing the 5 dreadful words I Hate to Hear There's Nothing You Can Do! That's BS nonsense! I'm a true American who believe what's right for this country and I hate corporate greed and corruption like The NAB are doing. I hate communism, but I love freedom of choice, and The NAB destroyed it.

Also, what I also hate to get in the mail a defamation lawsuit by The NAB about my comments. I'll be P-I-S-S-E-D if I receive it in the mail, that's for damn sure.

I'll be happy if The NAB is disestablished one day, never knows...Abolish The NAB and Let Freedom Ring. But this is the USA and We Shall Overcome!

Chet Kanojia and Barry Diller were/still True Americans but they unsucceeded their mission of change for the USA unlike the late Susan B. Anthony fought for women's voting rights a long time ago, or the late MLK fought civil rights in the 1950s-1960s...They were True Americans and sadly both gone.

I support innovation, but I hate corporate greed. Does this answer your question you dig?
SpencerKarter85's Avatar SpencerKarter85 10:13 PM 06-26-2014
And now my 400th Post!

I'll do "What If" thingy. What if Aereo won SCOTUS decision instead of losing? I'll be happy and cord-cutters would rejoice! Sadly never happen and the dire warnings by The NAB came true...Aereo loss SCOTUS case 6-3 and ruled in favor of the greedy broadcasters. But unfortunately Aereo never see the light of day in Greenville, SC market unlike adjacent Atlanta, GA did....Lucky Hotlanta!

Were would you be 30 years from now on June 25, 2044 aka the 30th anniversary of The Day Aereo Died? Some of us might be alive, some of us not. We don't know that's the answer.

In conclusion, Retransmission Consent Regime of 1992 (pre-digital TV era) must go and needs a reform to reflect today's marketplace and use todays business models like Aereo attempted, but failed thanks to the interference of The NAB at SCOTUS case. Corruption and Corporate Greed by The NAB still lives on. I do hate to say it my friends!
SpencerKarter85's Avatar SpencerKarter85 11:52 PM 06-28-2014
I apologize for my rant, but I'm still recovering from the Aereo death.

I've got a question for tylerSC,

I'm planning on getting another outdoor antenna and a DirecTV AM21 OTA tuner with it to intergrade my adjacent stations on the EPG. Here's my TV Fool report for my house: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c693d62cd88f

What outdoor antenna should I get?
The Lava HD2605 Outdoor Antenna (150 miles) http://www.antennadeals.com/HD2605.html
Solid Signal Xtreame Signal HD8200XL (100 miles) or Winegard HD8200U (100+ Miles VHF, 60+ Miles UHF)
Both at http://www.solidsignal.com
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 05:03 PM 06-29-2014
SpencerKarter, I would avoid that Lava antenna. While the design looks decent, the build quality reportedly is not, and it is considered to have cheaply made Chinese circuitry. Now, if you indeed need the large all band antenna, then that Winegard 8200 is an excellent antenna. And I believe that Solid Signal version may be identical, and also made by Winegard. So I would confirm that, and order whichever is the best price. But if you want a better shot at Charlotte signals, then I would consider a 91XG UHF antenna or the Solid Signal version. And a Kitztech 100 preamp with low noise and variable gain. And add a FM trap from Radioshack.
britoutofwater 07:07 AM 07-01-2014
I have a question for Greenville people and I apologize if there is an answer for this in the thread, but 349 pages is way too long for me to wade through!

We cut the cable a couple of years ago and have been mostly happy with Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix, but we would like better access to the broadcast channels. We have a little indoor antenna and it gets a couple of channels but not consistently so I think we need to upgrade to something a little more powerful.

I'm from London, UK originally and used to outdoor aerials, which is not something I see around here. Is it allowed, or just not necessary? Are there a tonne of hidden antenna in attics that I'm just not seeing?

Mostly what I'd really like is some sort of electrician who can come and install it for me, I'm fairly handy, but I don't know that I have the time or energy to install a whole system. Any recommendations for electricians in the area who know what they're doing when it comes to installing TV antenna?
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 07:22 AM 07-01-2014
They are allowed. I guess people just don't like to see them. So some are hidden in attics. They were much more ubiquitous years ago. We always had a big aerial when I was growing up until we got cable in the late 80's. Most probably have cable or satellite rather than OTA now. But with more cord cutters, the rising cost of subscription TV and the quality of OTA digital TV, I expect antenna use to rise again.

Go to http://www.tvfool.com to see what kind of antenna you need. Others will have to advise you on an electrician. Here's what I see in the yellow pages: http://www.yellowpages.com/greenvill...nna-installers

If you are in Greenville and in a clear area, then you can get most everything in the area with rabbit ears (WLOS may require a larger antenna). I'd try that first.
britoutofwater 08:09 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
They are allowed. I guess people just don't like to see them. So some are hidden in attics. They were much more ubiquitous years ago. We always had a big aerial when I was growing up until we got cable in the late 80's. Most probably have cable or satellite rather than OTA now. But with more cord cutters, the rising cost of subscription TV and the quality of OTA digital TV, I expect antenna use to rise again.

Go to http://www.tvfool.com to see what kind of antenna you need. Others will have to advise you on an electrician. Here's what I see in the yellow pages: http://www.yellowpages.com/greenvill...nna-installers

If you are in Greenville and in a clear area, then you can get most everything in the area with rabbit ears (WLOS may require a larger antenna). I'd try that first.
I think what we have right now is rabbit ears, but our reception isn't consistent, we get WHNS sometimes but it often futzes out in the middle of a show and we don't get WLOS at all (which in our house is a key concern in Oscar season!) So those are the two channels we'd love to get if possible. We're close to downtown and our rabbit ears are on the ground floor of a two story home so I suspect we have some interference, which is why I was thinking an outdoor antenna might be the way to go... assuming we can find someone to install it!
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 11:44 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by britoutofwater View Post
I think what we have right now is rabbit ears, but our reception isn't consistent, we get WHNS sometimes but it often futzes out in the middle of a show and we don't get WLOS at all (which in our house is a key concern in Oscar season!) So those are the two channels we'd love to get if possible. We're close to downtown and our rabbit ears are on the ground floor of a two story home so I suspect we have some interference, which is why I was thinking an outdoor antenna might be the way to go... assuming we can find someone to install it!
13-WLOS is a VHF channel with a spotty reception pattern in Upstate SC, and it is subject to noise and interference. Indoor antennas may not receive it, and at minimum it requires rabbit ears in a good reception area. The best indoor antenna would be the Terk HDTVa Log antenna from HHG, which has rabbit ears and a good UHF element, as well as an inline amplifier. Avoid the gimmicky flat panel antennas. Otherwise, a better choice would be an attic or outdoor antenna such as Antennacraft HBU-33 or Winegard 7696. And a good amplifier such as Winegard LNA-200 or Channel Master 7778. Outside antennas are allowed under FCC OTARD regulations and cannot be banned by a homeowners association. And it is also possible to receive several Charlotte, NC channels with an outside antenna, but for Charlotte alone a 91XG from Antennas Direct would be the best choice for those distant UHF channels.
gbynum's Avatar gbynum 12:05 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by britoutofwater View Post
If you are in a condo or apartment, there are often restrictions on attaching the outdoor antenna, but more important, with the elevation changes involved, and random tall buildings by some standards (grin), 2 or 3 blocks can be the world of difference.

The request for your tvfool results (exact address is not displayed) is important for us to help. Aside, I'm also close to downtown and get some with just a wire in my antenna jack. Street elevation in front of my house is 980 ft.
dubber's Avatar dubber 10:01 PM 07-01-2014
Was just flipping the OTA channels and instead of the
usual color bars on 40.2 I found the GetTV Channel, they are showing old movies. Never heard of them, I wonder if this is another collection of B grade movies that very few people care about seeing like THIS TV is. THIS TV repeats the same old middling movies over and over and over again month after month year after year.

I wonder if WYFF will ever add a .3 to their sub-channel line up?

I dearly miss NBC Weather PLUS at least it provided something useful and live 24/7. Amazingly Weather PLUS has lived on in some markets with little or no changes except that it is a stand alone product and not part of the NBC network. I think WVIR in Virginia still brands it Weather PLUS. and it can still be seen live streaming on their website as well. At least four or five other markets still use the Weather PLUS engine with minor modifications like KY 3 24/7 in MO, and Iowa's Weather Channel on WHO TV. Well I'm pretty sure that WYFF never sold the computer and additional equipment for Weather PLUS so maybe it will return someday.

I have to comment on the problem of receiving WLOS DT 13 in the Anderson, SC area because it is nearly impossible even with a good antenna to get the ABC affiliate, I don't understand why they can't get approval to carry WLOS on the WMYA sub channel. I would think that the FCC would step in because they are not serving this part of their market well at all, I'd pull their license, as Sinclair is a bunch of idiots anyhow.
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 05:01 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubber View Post
Was just flipping the OTA channels and instead of the usual color bars on 40.2 I found the GetTV Channel
Glad to hear it. If anybody sees it show up on Charter, please post.
First ... 347  348  349 350  351  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop