post #10681 of 10703 Old 12-16-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
it would be nice if the SD version of the simulcast of WSPA 7 on 62.2 get drop and them replace it with antennaTV. since Media General has a agreement with AntennaTV for some of their stations also. after it got drop from 46.2 i can't get 18.2 on full time.
In Spartanburg, with a good UHF antenna, you may get more reliable reception of WCCB and WSOC from Charlotte. Especially if the antenna and amp outside. But they drop out before Greenville, where I only get 3, 36, 46, and 55 from Charlotte, and all the other locals, including 13 from Asheville.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10682 of 10703 Old 12-16-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
it would be nice if the SD version of the simulcast of WSPA 7 on 62.2 get drop and them replace it with antennaTV. since Media General has a agreement with AntennaTV for some of their stations also. after it got drop from 46.2 i can't get 18.2 on full time.
They simulcast Channel 7 on 62.2 because of gaps in their coverage area, apparently in Western NC. But it would be nice with today's advanced encoders, that they broadcast both 62.1-CW and 62.2-CBS with 2 720p HD channels. Instead of 62.2 in inferior SD.
post #10683 of 10703 Old 12-16-2014, 07:43 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
they add wspa on 62.2 when they lost their wspa tv tower couple years ago before that they had the 24x7 weather channel on it.
post #10684 of 10703 Old 12-16-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasd5 View Post
Mobile isn't costing us anything at this point. It is simply a simulcast of 4.1. Replacing it with another service, regardless of the type of programming, will require a significant capital investment. And there aren't any plans for that at this point.

Since I don't really have any input on programming, viewers need to express their programming preference to station management. Emails are read and considered.
Doug,

It is so simple. Isn't it?!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #10685 of 10703 Old 12-16-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
Doug,

It's almost like magic!
post #10686 of 10703 Old 12-16-2014, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Doug,

Nice to hear from the resident repository of sarcasm.

Not that it is simple, but adding another
sub channel is not rocket science, and has been done by numerous stations across the USA and the rest of the world using DT.

Notably even our independent/ religious here in the GSP DMA (WGGS DT ) has TWO sub channels. And you can be sure that they have a VERY tight budget to operate on.

To that I would add I wonder how many people ever watched
THiS TV, and how many more will miss it? The same
low budget or tired movies run over and over, and over again.
And also many of which are on cable outlets as well.
I wonder how much revenue was generated on that one?

Of course I look at a weather product as a "public service"
category. Which all stations have to make some effort to
provide to the local community, it may not make much revenue but it does help to satisfy requirements for a station to keep their license each year.

@Doug : So you are fairly sure that Hearst will not be
adding a second sub channel at any of their owned stations in the near future?

At least Movies! will be a better product than THiS TV.

Do you expect to have testing of Movies! going OTA on 4-2 in a test phase before Jan 1st? If so could you hint about when that might be?
post #10687 of 10703 Old 12-16-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
It's almost like magic!

Was it cost free to purchase, install, and activate the
Mobile DT equipment?

Perhaps it is "divine intervention" that allows WGGS DT to have
two sub channels? LOL Since their budget is a shoestring as best.

So you are fairly sure that Hearst will not be
adding a second sub channel at any of their owned stations in the near future?

At least Movies! will be a better product than THiS TV.

Do you expect to have testing of Movies! going OTA on 4-2 in a test phase before Jan 1st? If so could you hint about when that might be?

Last edited by dubber; 12-16-2014 at 09:17 PM.
post #10688 of 10703 Old 12-16-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
^^Unless I am mistaken, master control for WHNS may be handled from their sister station in Atlanta. And they could still be working on getting Cozi TV set up for all their stations. But they are back to weather radar this morning. But hopefully Cozi is indeed coming. Now I want to see a GSP station add Antenna TV, because I longer receive it since it dropped from 46.2. from Charlotte.
Actually I recall that Doug stated that WSPA
MC was handled from ATL. But he probably knows
how Meridian (WHNS) works that as well.

I live near Anderson it is darn hard to pick up
the DT7 here.

Interestingly WYCW was supposed to put their
24/7 Weather channel product on 62-3 at least four years ago and it never happened. Yet if you search around you will see that the information about that still exists on the WSPA
website. HAHAHAA!
post #10689 of 10703 Old 12-17-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubber View Post
Not that it is simple, but adding another
sub channel is not rocket science, and has been done by numerous stations across the USA and the rest of the world using DT.

Notably even our independent/ religious here in the GSP DMA (WGGS DT ) has TWO sub channels. And you can be sure that they have a VERY tight budget to operate on.
I would be careful here. You are treading into an area that unless you work for a station, you really have no idea what the dynamics are of these kinds of decisions. From the viewpoint of a viewer, yeah, there is nothing to it. Just add it. If it were only that easy.

Actually it is not as cut and dry as it appears. The technical side is not hard. It just takes money. These decisions are usually not made at the local level and companies now buy at a corporate level and the stations are told what they will offer. Until corporate blesses it, it doesn't happen.

And that is the way it works in todays environment.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #10690 of 10703 Old 12-17-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Was it cost free to purchase, install, and activate the Mobile DT equipment?
Hey, lighten up a bit. No, it's not rocket science but it is an involved process from both the business and the technical aspects.

Quote:
So you are fairly sure that Hearst will not be adding a second sub channel at any of their owned stations in the near future?
I don't know what other Hearst station's plans are. I know there is at least one with two sub-channels and a couple like us with a sub-channel and mobile. It depends on the station and the market. Our station in Monterey, CA is both an NBC and ABC affiliate and provides both in HD on the same channel. There are other stations around the country doing two HDs as well.

Quote:
Movies! debuts on 12/31 at 8:00 am... This TV on 4.2 until then.
post #10691 of 10703 Old 12-17-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Will you be running Movies! in 16:9 SD or otherwise processing it to fit in a 4:3 frame?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10692 of 10703 Old 12-17-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Will you be running Movies! in 16:9 SD or otherwise processing it to fit in a 4:3 frame?

- Trip
Movies! is natively wide-screen. Our 4.2 sub-channel with This TV is currently configured for wide-screen and This TV is stretched as that was the preference of most viewers. So it will be a much better viewing experience to see the movies in 16x9 without stretching.
post #10693 of 10703 Old 12-17-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I saw on trips va's Rabbit ears info website where WMYA TV 40 will be add grit tv soon to 40.4
post #10694 of 10703 Old 12-17-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Hey, lighten up a bit. No, it's not rocket science but it is an involved process from both the business and the technical aspects.

I don't know what other Hearst station's plans are. I know there is at least one with two sub-channels and a couple like us with a sub-channel and mobile. It depends on the station and the market. Our station in Monterey, CA is both an NBC and ABC affiliate and provides both in HD on the same channel. There are other stations around the country doing two HDs as well.

Thanks for the info.
post #10695 of 10703 Old 12-17-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I saw on trips va's Rabbit ears info website where WMYA TV 40 will be add grit tv soon to 40.4
GritTV is also on WBTV 3.3 and the pic quality is good.
post #10696 of 10703 Old 12-22-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I would be careful here. You are treading into an area that unless you work for a station, you really have no idea what the dynamics are of these kinds of decisions. From the viewpoint of a viewer, yeah, there is nothing to it. Just add it. If it were only that easy.

Actually it is not as cut and dry as it appears. The technical side is not hard. It just takes money. These decisions are usually not made at the local level and companies now buy at a corporate level and the stations are told what they will offer. Until corporate blesses it, it doesn't happen.

And that is the way it works in todays environment.
I may have mentioned it in previous posts but I did in fact work at a Hearst owned station in the 90s (WGAL 8)

I have a reasonable understanding of how the business model works and know that in the end it is
the corporate HQ that make all major (re: expensive) decisions.

I for one definitely questioned the worth of mobile DT
and stated years ago to Doug that is was an expense that would likely be a significant bust. It turned out just that way. The investment was wasted. An additional subchannel would have been a much better choice. Although I wonder if the decision to implement Mobile DT at WYFF was made at Hearst or at WYFF itself?
Doug seems a little defensive but he isn't the GM at
WYFF.

Last edited by dubber; 12-22-2014 at 04:30 PM.
post #10697 of 10703 Old 12-22-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I don't work in the broadcast business anymore, so I was just bringing a little humorous sarcasm to bear. More so directed at FOXENG not you. I've never been a fan of
magic or slight of hand mind you.

Quote:

I was thinking that like many other stations that
a brief OTA testing phase would be occurring before the official debut sometime during the early AM hours
to double check things. (To adjust the computer automated spot insertion) I recall seeing
this when the transition happened between
Weather PLUS and THiS TV, but too far back to remember exactly.

Again Doug, I appreciate your responses to my questions.
I'm sure you do it independently of your duties at WYFF.
Thank you for going the extra mile for your viewers.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
SEASONS GREETINGS,
AND HAPPY NEW YEAR
To you, your family, and everyone at WYFF4.
post #10698 of 10703 Old 12-23-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I may have mentioned it in previous posts but I did in fact work at a Hearst owned station in the 90s (WGAL 8)

I have a reasonable understanding of how the business model works and know that in the end it is
the corporate HQ that make all major (re: expensive) decisions.

I for one definitely questioned the worth of mobile DT
and stated years ago to Doug that is was an expense that would likely be a significant bust. It turned out just that way. The investment was wasted. An additional subchannel would have been a much better choice. Although I wonder if the decision to implement Mobile DT at WYFF was made at Hearst or at WYFF itself?
Doug seems a little defensive but he isn't the GM at
WYFF.
It is a MUCH different business than it was in the 90's and you would not recognize Hearst today. The people I have talked to at the local Hearst in my market tell me of the vast differences. It is all about consolidation and economy of scale. Squeeze every dollar out of every station and then some. The key word is "monetize". You monetize EVERYTHING. With the debt load companies are carrying these days with all this consolidation, every dollar spent is approved at the corporate level. That is the way all broadcast companies are run these days. Station autonomy is a thing of the past.

God, how I long for the old days of the just the early 2000s. That is how much it has changed in just 10 years, much less 20 or even 25. Those were ancient times in comparison.

Last edited by foxeng; 12-23-2014 at 08:54 AM.
post #10699 of 10703 Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
(at the beginning of this month)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post
This morning I noticed that WSPA's station ID screen which lists all their translators now shows W10AJ-D instead of just W10AJ for the one on Paris Mountain.
False alarm. That screen now shows just W10AJ for that translator. Immediately above it is W10AD-D for Montreat. Either it's been that way all along and my eyes were playing tricks on me for a while (probably the most likely thing), or maybe it had W10AD and W10AJ-D by mistake for a while and then was corrected.
post #10700 of 10703 Old Today, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post
(at the beginning of this month)

False alarm. That screen now shows just W10AJ for that translator. Immediately above it is W10AD-D for Montreat. Either it's been that way all along and my eyes were playing tricks on me for a while (probably the most likely thing), or maybe it had W10AD and W10AJ-D by mistake for a while and then was corrected.
Is there a local pawn shop or electronics store in the Greenville area that will purchase a new condition plasma TV? I have a new LG 6600 50 inch plasma smart TV I would like to sell for about $350. 2014 model, very little use. Prefer not to deal with Craig's List. A nice TV but I prefer Samsung models so I don't need the LG.
post #10701 of 10703 Old Today, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is there a local pawn shop or electronics store in the Greenville area that will purchase a new condition plasma TV? I have a new LG 6600 50 inch plasma smart TV I would like to sell for about $350. 2014 model, very little use. Prefer not to deal with Craig's List. A nice TV but I prefer Samsung models so I don't need the LG.
I know it is not necessarily recommended, but I may have to combine the Charter cable and OTA antenna inputs on one cable at my sister's house. Because the Charter tech only left one cable down the wall from the attic after the separate Charter cable went bad. So right now the antenna in the attic is not hooked up to the bedroom TV, and her husband was asking me about splicing in the antenna again. And apparently it is near impossible to run another cable down the wall at that location, and my sister doesn't want to run another cable around the wall and under the rug again. And since most of the Charter HD channels are upper tier numbers now, they are not worried about the lower tier SD duplicate channels. And I would like to know if the OTA and cable channels would now interfere, since Charter now uses higher channels. I will give it a try using diplexers and see what happens. But fortunately the antenna cable is still separate from the Charter cable on the other 2 TVs.
post #10702 of 10703 Old Today, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
I know it is not necessarily recommended, but I may have to combine the Charter cable and OTA antenna inputs on one cable at my sister's house. Because the Charter tech only left one cable down the wall from the attic after the separate Charter cable went bad. So right now the antenna in the attic is not hooked up to the bedroom TV, and her husband was asking me about splicing in the antenna again. And apparently it is near impossible to run another cable down the wall at that location, and my sister doesn't want to run another cable around the wall and under the rug again. And since most of the Charter HD channels are upper tier numbers now, they are not worried about the lower tier SD duplicate channels. And I would like to know if the OTA and cable channels would now interfere, since Charter now uses higher channels. I will give it a try using diplexers and see what happens. But fortunately the antenna cable is still separate from the Charter cable on the other 2 TVs.
I don't think a diplexer will work. I posted all Charter frequencies several weeks ago in this thread if you want to have a look.

Your sister may be able to get a free cable box from Charter depending on her plan. That would be the best thing to do.

BTW, did anybody notice WGGS in HD show up on Charter on 706 today? Looks pretty good.
post #10703 of 10703 Old Today, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

BTW, did anybody notice WGGS in HD show up on Charter on 706 today? Looks pretty good.
I've been watching their OTA signal for quite sometime now and they did a really good job with their upgrade, even though
they have TWO additional subchannels that use quite a bit of bandwidth, their main channel looks VERY good, with no obvious
pixelization or artifacting which we can see on other local main channels with sub channels. Their local live nightline program
looks vibrant and natural at the same time, technically and to my eye (which is trained to look for issues) things look great.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page