Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 363 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #10861 of 10884 Old 04-13-2015, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
Stations do it all the time. The issue comes up on which game goes on which channel and all depends on the contract. We carry ACC football and the first year we had it, FOX had college ball on at the same time. We moved the FOX game to the .2 until the ACC game, on the .1 was over then joined in progress on the .1 while continuing to run it on the .2. Last year we had not only FOX college, ACC, we also had a black college network as well. All airing on Saturday afternoon. Talk about shuffling the schedules of all the channels!
Yes, that I know. But I thought we were talking about airing 2 NHL games? If so, it wouldn't make sense to pre-empt another channel because WYFF would only be able to air one of those games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10862 of 10884 Old 04-13-2015, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
Stations do it all the time. The issue comes up on which game goes on which channel and all depends on the contract. We carry ACC football and the first year we had it, FOX had college ball on at the same time. We moved the FOX game to the .2 until the ACC game, on the .1 was over then joined in progress on the .1 while continuing to run it on the .2. Last year we had not only FOX college, ACC, we also had a black college network as well. All airing on Saturday afternoon. Talk about shuffling the schedules of all the channels!
i have seen wlos carry one acc game while wmya carried the other in a acc network split before one time wycw carried the second game because it involved clemson
post #10863 of 10884 Old 04-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well after talking about it forever I finally called and negotiated a promo with Charter yesterday to add a Cable Card for my TiVo Roamio. The installer came out today and plugged it in and got everything up and running with a few quirks. The poor tech had to drive all the way to ASHEVILLE to get a tuning adapter/cable card because the only one they had in Greenville didn't work. The good news is both were brand new in their wrapping materials, so all seems to be good so far.

I've set a few recordings and so far LOVE the TiVo's ability to record & transfer to my PC for Blu-Ray archiving. Some of the HD stations do have some visible pixellation, but it doesn't seem any worse than DirecTV's compression.
post #10864 of 10884 Old 04-14-2015, 08:11 PM

i guess WYFF better be prepared to lose local news on Saturday and Sunday if there is overtime hockey
post #10865 of 10884 Old 04-14-2015, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400 View Post
i guess WYFF better be prepared to lose local news on Saturday and Sunday if there is overtime hockey
I think that very thing happened last year or the year before.
post #10866 of 10884 Old 04-14-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400 View Post
i have seen wlos carry one acc game while wmya carried the other in a acc network split before one time wycw carried the second game because it involved clemson
Except the rules for pro sports are quite different, also don't forget that those playoff are also airing on the NHL Network as well, so I doubt that NBC will air a game that was due to be on a paid channel (owned by NBC LOL) also on a OTA as well especially in a city that has a home market team in the play offs. US ONLY.

CBC does a waaaay better job of broadcasting than NBC/NHL Network ever will.
post #10867 of 10884 Old 04-14-2015, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Well after talking about it forever I finally called and negotiated a promo with Charter yesterday to add a Cable Card for my TiVo Roamio. The installer came out today and plugged it in and got everything up and running with a few quirks. The poor tech had to drive all the way to ASHEVILLE to get a tuning adapter/cable card because the only one they had in Greenville didn't work. The good news is both were brand new in their wrapping materials, so all seems to be good so far.

I've set a few recordings and so far LOVE the TiVo's ability to record & transfer to my PC for Blu-Ray archiving. Some of the HD stations do have some visible pixellation, but it doesn't seem any worse than DirecTV's compression.
If it's a Moto tuning adapter, be sure to use a splitter before it rather than using the pass thru. That should improve the signal a lot.
post #10868 of 10884 Old 04-15-2015, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post
Why would they show two games at once? Would NBC even allow that?
Things like this are extremely RARE... in the old days of digital broadcasting some CBS affiliates would use sub-channels to air all four of CBS's March Madness feeds but most of them were forced to stop when DirecTV complained. People were using antennas instead of paying for Mega March Madness. Other than that I've never heard of another network using subchannels to air two network games that are split around the country on a regional basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
If it's a Moto tuning adapter, be sure to use a splitter before it rather than using the pass thru. That should improve the signal a lot.
Thanks for the heads up. I was surprised that the TiVo lists the cable signal at only 90% when my signal is always unusually high coming in ordinarily. The tuning adapter was the only part of the equation that gave us problems. The tech insisted that it communicated over the Cable line... it took about half an hour before I convinced him to plug in the USB cable, and then everything magically worked perfect. The TA is in a really bad spot with a very short cable. I was going to switch the cables, but now I'll just unhook it and attach a splitter.

A few notes I got from yesterday though... Channel 23 is considered their "Test Channel" because of its frequency and/or the fact that it is SDV (at least in our area). He also told me Charter was now enforcing a 250ft limit on cable service. If you live more than 250 feet from the closest hookup they now won't install service. He said even if a house has had service previously they won't reconnect now, so keep those Charter accounts alive if you fall into this situation.

He insisted that all the HD channels required SDV, but most of those came in fine before we connected the Tuning Adapter correctly. I did notice many of the SD channels he was trying to test didn't come in without it, but I had already taken all of those out of my channel guide anyway.
post #10869 of 10884 Old 04-15-2015, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Escape TV is now up running on 21.3 they will be doing some fine tuning today.

per WHNS Chief Engineer who was kind enough email me to let me know it was up.

Last edited by LMckin; 04-15-2015 at 06:39 PM.
post #10870 of 10884 Old 04-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

He insisted that all the HD channels required SDV, but most of those came in fine before we connected the Tuning Adapter correctly. I did notice many of the SD channels he was trying to test didn't come in without it, but I had already taken all of those out of my channel guide anyway.
In Greenville, I don't think there are any SDV channels that are HD (at least not many). Mostly it is just SD channels (most of the SD sports channels are SDV).
post #10871 of 10884 Old 04-15-2015, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

I had my problems getting Charter to get it right with the cable card and tuning adapter but I have had no problems with pixellation. You might need to have them back to check the signal strength. That should not be happening. I assume you are using the TiVo desktop software to transfer to your PC? I have not tried that.
post #10872 of 10884 Old 04-15-2015, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
In Greenville, I don't think there are any SDV channels that are HD (at least not many). Mostly it is just SD channels (most of the SD sports channels are SDV).
The installer I had, had no idea what SDV was or how it worked. The ignorance of the installers is almost limitless. Mostly all they do is install Charter set top boxes so they have no idea how the system works. The tuning adapter informs the TiVo what the channel mapping is for those channels that are being sent switched. Those channels that always appear at the same spot do not need the tuning adapter to come in correctly. Most of the HD channels are probably popular and so are not switched.
post #10873 of 10884 Old 04-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrys11 View Post
I had my problems getting Charter to get it right with the cable card and tuning adapter but I have had no problems with pixellation. You might need to have them back to check the signal strength. That should not be happening. I assume you are using the TiVo desktop software to transfer to your PC? I have not tried that.
I should've been clearer... the pixellation I see is part of the channels feed... you can see it around channel logos, and in a few places. It is just from the compression, but DirecTV is the same way.
post #10874 of 10884 Old 04-15-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post

I just noticed this, I have noticed a strange "strobing" (fps issue) effect on 21.1
at least on the 4'O Clock News, but I suppose that might not be related to the
new sub channel offerings. It almost looks like some form of cross talk though.
post #10875 of 10884 Old 04-15-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

The TiVo Roamio is an excellent DVR, and has a strong tuner. But it does not have dual antenna and cable inputs like the previous Premiere unit, so you would have to choose one source or the other, or use an A/B switch. Did you drop DirecTV and how did you integrate your antenna set up for the Charlotte stations? We still use a Premiere box for both Charter cable and the antenna input for Charlotte. And it was indeed an ordeal the first time to get the cable card paired up and the tuning adapter functioning. And had to replace both last fall after they did a software update.
post #10876 of 10884 Old 04-15-2015, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The TiVo Roamio is an excellent DVR, and has a strong tuner. But it does not have dual antenna and cable inputs like the previous Premiere unit, so you would have to choose one source or the other, or use an A/B switch. Did you drop DirecTV and how did you integrate your antenna set up for the Charlotte stations?
We're keeping DirecTV for now... my wife prefers it, and I'm grandfathered on the DNS stations from NY so I don't want to lose those. The cost of the cable card package on promo is almost nill.

I don't have the antenna on the TiVo anymore, but it does run into my DirecTV Genie via the AM21N so I can still record with that.
post #10877 of 10884 Old 04-17-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

per WHNS Chief Engineer who was kind enough email me to let me know it was up.
Thanks for the heads up. If you see it pop up on Charter, please let us know.
post #10878 of 10884 Old 04-17-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. If you see it pop up on Charter, please let us know.
You're welcome Dave,

If i see it pop up on charter i'll let you know if it get add to charter i guess it could be on channel 188 since that is a blank channel space since grit tv is on channel 189 wlos 13.3
post #10879 of 10884 Old 04-18-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubber View Post
I think that very thing happened last year or the year before.
and the news has sometimes started really late same thing with the nba sometimes
post #10880 of 10884 Old 04-20-2015, 08:20 AM

Here is a picture of Foxcarolina 21 new control room they install over the weekend.

Foxcarolina 21 engineer sent me a picture of it.

post #10881 of 10884 Old 04-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can anyone tell me if all the premium channels are "copy protected"? I know the original HBO us, but wondered if they went as far as getting the Encores and others with it? Didn't want to set a bunch of movies and find the recordings useless
post #10882 of 10884 Old 04-20-2015, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if all the premium channels are "copy protected"? I know the original HBO us, but wondered if they went as far as getting the Encores and others with it? Didn't want to set a bunch of movies and find the recordings useless
Mostly yes. Occasionally something slips through the cracks and you'll see copy freely on even a few HBO programs. Why is that even an issue? You have to have a cable card to get anything at all on Charter, but that gets you all copy protected content as well (as long as it's in your package). What are you using to make your recordings? I'm able to recording everything using any Tivo, Ceton or Silicon Dust cable card tuner.
post #10883 of 10884 Old 04-21-2015, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Mostly yes. Occasionally something slips through the cracks and you'll see copy freely on even a few HBO programs. Why is that even an issue? You have to have a cable card to get anything at all on Charter, but that gets you all copy protected content as well (as long as it's in your package). What are you using to make your recordings? I'm able to recording everything using any Tivo, Ceton or Silicon Dust cable card tuner.
My TiVo can record it just fine, I just can't archive any copy protected recordings. Now I archive most of my Blu-Ray/ DVD movies & tv show sets on 2 network hard drives that I can play content from with my Smart TV. I'd love to be able to record and archive some of the movies I like that aren't available commercially on Blu-Ray, but the copy protected channels kill that. That's why I was curious if it was all channels, or just some of them.
post #10884 of 10884 Old 04-22-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Here is a picture of Foxcarolina 21 new control room they install over the weekend.

Foxcarolina 21 engineer sent me a picture of it.

Looks like a Miranda router system and I can't tell because of the bloom picture of the monitors, but that might be a Ross switcher with Overdrive. If so, they have of the line gear. We run Ross with Overdrive here. We did have a Miranda router until corporate made a group deal with Black Magic so everyone got to change routers. I know their transmitter engineer. May have to give him a call.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page