Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 367 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #10981 of 10995 Old 07-27-2015, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Not sure which one edited your post, but one somebody made last night originally had a reference to WSPA's old broadcasts of the "Spartanburg Christmas Parade". I also remember this, and miss the old style broadcast. I can still remember Tom Crabtree and Pamela Graham doing those broadcasts with a bucket truck providing the primary camera angle. I think one of the last broadcasts they even borrowed a "steadycam" from First Baptist Spartanburg.

Do any of you have any of those old parades on tape? I'd volunteer to convert any old VHS's to DVD in exchange for copies of any of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10982 of 10995 Old 07-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Here is a video clip I posted last year from WSPA's coverage of President Ford's Visit to Greenville.

post #10983 of 10995 Old 07-27-2015, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Folks in Western Carolinas and Northeast Georgia. Had you ever recorded stuff from WFBC/WYFF 4 (NBC), WSPA 7 (CBS), WLOS 13 (ABC), WGGS 16 (Religious Independent), WHNS 21 (then Independent, now FOX), WNTV 29 (PBS/SCETV), WUNF 33 (PBS/UNC-TV), WAIM/WAXA/WFBC/WBSC/WMYA 40, and WASV/WYCW 62 on VHS in the past between 1977-2000?

The earliest VHS recordings from WYFF 4 I got on it was taped over from a home video of Three Stooges shorts, with a partial promo for NBC's Summer Sunday USA with current California Governor Jerry Brown with ex-GF Linda Rondstant? with Linda Ellerbee (now at Nickelodeon) and Andrea Mitchell (still at NBC News as of Today) after the promo was over it cuts off the promo for Days of Our Lives while network music played in the background it shows Kenn Sparks quiet at the NewsCenter4 desk for promo of Noon Newscast with Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo of course. It was recorded in mid-July 1984. Another VHS to DVD-R recording between January-May 1986 was partial recordings of NBC's Days of Our Lives with commercials and from the May 14, 1986 episode was interrupted by an NBC News Special Report anchored by the late John Palmer on the aftermath of Chernobyl thingy and it had the Proud N logo on the special report despite the current NBC logo was introduced two days earlier officially. After 5/14/1986 Days episode, it has NBC promos with Proud N logo and Today Show promo (then hosted by Gumbel/Pauley) some local commercials, Donahue promo for WYFF 4 (before moved to rival WLOS 13 in 1987) with Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo and Proud N logo as well, then a NewsCenter4 bumper with NewsCenter4 logo in Silver on top of the screen, on the bottom Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo, white call letters, and current 6 feathered NBC logo (the earliest recordings of the current NBC logo I have), and first few seconds of now-defunct Another World. Another Days episode, it has a PSA with Malcolm Jamal Warner with Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo, NewsCenter4 promo with Proud N logo. Another it has a promo for NewsCenter4 with Carl Clark, Carol Anderson (Goldsmith) which she's still at 4 today, and the late Charlie Gertz. It also has partial promo of PM Magazine with Red/Blue Arrow 4 with Proud N logo, and a promo from NewsCenter4 from circa January 1986.

Another DVD-R is a repeat of 1985's Motown Returns at The Apollo on NBC (recorded August 3, 1986). Locals, one promo a off-network showings of Diff'rent Strokes with silver Arrow 4 logo and call letters and current NBC logo with Charlie Van Dyke doing v/o. Two promos has future Weather Channel personality Mike Seidel doing 11pm teasers for NewsCenter4 (same graphics used from May 14, 1986), Alta Snell doing the news update with Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo, and a commercial after the news update, it has the Gold Arrow 4 logo with current NBC peacock with Charlie Van Dyke doing v/o "South Carolina Television Station of the Year" thingy.

VHS tapes from WYFF 4: July 2, 1989 a repeat of NBC movie "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" with local promos from NewsCenter4 with Lizz Walker and longtime mainstays Michael Cogdill and Dale Gilbert. It has a promo for Primetime with Annette Estes where one interview she interviewed Willard Scott (sans toupee).

August 1989, a partial VHS recording of the repeat of the 1986 NBC mini-series ON WINGS OF EAGLES, it has an NBC News At This Hour segment anchored by the late Garrick Utley, a NewsCenter4 promo, a Burt Wolf promo as well. Gold Arrow 4 logo of course.

From November 13, 1989: When NewsCenter4 already became News4, I've got a partial recording of The NBC TV-Movie CAST THE FIRST STONE (OBWC) and promos for News4 as well with Clark and Estes, and even ex personnel like Jeff Abell, and the late Charlie Gertz. Also Gold Arrow 4 logo too.

November 26, 1989 VHS recording was a repeat of the NBC movie 1986's TOP GUN. It has a Golden Apple Award promo, News4 Tonight with Codgill/Walker, a sports teaser with Paul Johnson, etc.

January 22, 1990 VHS recording of a repeat of the NBC movie 1986's THE DELTA FORCE. It has News4 promos with Clark/Estes, Judy Booker (now at rival station) filling in for Gertz doing weather promo, etc.

February 4, 1990 VHS recording of the NBC movie 1987's LETHAL WEAPON has News4 promos with Cogdill/Walker.

February 11 and 13, 1990 VHS recording of the NBC mini-series BLIND FAITH (with the late greats Robert Urich and Dennis Farina and pre-Big Bang Theory Johnny Galecki) with News4 promos with Codgill/Walker about the release of the late Nelson Mandella, Clark/Estes and News4 Speed Week promo, and the late Charlie Gertz too. (OBWC)

February 19, 1990 VHS recording of a repeat of the TV-movie of the short lived NBC show NASTY BOYS. It has Clark/Estes News4 promos with Abell, WYFF 4 station ID minus words "Your Friend", after the end of the movie it has promos of NBC's movies "A Family For Joe" and "Too Young to Die?", etc.

February 25, 1990 VHS recording of a TV-movie later short lived series on NBC starring the late Robert Mitchum called A FAMILY FOR JOE (OBWC) it has Dale Gilbert weather teaser for News4, Deborah Norville (TODAY show then co-host) doing NBC NEWS AT THIS HOUR, etc.

February 26, 1990 VHS recording of a TV-movie TO YOUNG TO DIE? (OBWC) with then-unknown Brad Pitt, it has News4 promos with Clark/Estes, Abell, and Gertz, and the whose on first promo for the debut of News4 This Morning which first broadcast on March 5, 1990, etc.

January 6, 1991 VHS recording of NBC TV movie PERRY MASON: THE CASE OF THE RUTHLESS REPORTER (OBWC) has TMYK promo with Betty White, News4 promos with Cogdill/Walker, after the movie partial recording of News4 11pm newscast. It was before the late Charlie Gertz retired, the Arrow 4 logo retired, and John Cessarich arrived.

To Be Continued....

I'll tell you more VHS recordings I got in the future from other stations. I hope you'll like it tylerSC!
the weirdest tape i had-was the "On Scene" episode with the Shulman rescue and the crabbing vessel trapped in a storm off Alaska and the movie "Perry Mason: The Case of the Ruthless Reporter" both taped off WYFF-also has Charlie Van Dyke doing WYFF ID before "On Scene"- he and Ed Dyer were the voices i remember giving ids before shows-Dyer is heard on my tapes of Wide World, American Gladiators,Monday Night Football and Pro Bowlers Tour and college football while Van Dyke is heard on my tapes of On Scene, Sale Of The Century, Tic Tac Dough(with Patrick Wayne) NFL Football, NBC Movies, NBA Games, and the Olympics i don't know who the voice was for WSPA's ids back then also on some of my tapes of "SOTC" there is Deborah Norville (TODAY show then co-host) doing NBC NEWS AT THIS HOUR also John Palmer doing same thing i dont think John or Debroah appear on my "TTD" tapes Brit Hume(now with Fox News) appears on some of my American Gladiators tapes too back when ABC did late night news on weekends i know on some of my NBC movies Bryant Gumbel and Jane Pauley appear to promote Today, and Tom Brokaw appears sometimes to promote Nightly News too could also add both the "On Scene" episode with the Shulman rescue and the crabbing vessel trapped in a storm off Alaska and the movie "Perry Mason: The Case of the Ruthless Reporter" was before the Arrow 4 logo retired also there was the time and temp graphic too IMHO

Last edited by danderson400; Today at 04:41 AM.
post #10984 of 10995 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Sorry, hope this hasn't been discussed before, but the new enhanced mobile view on AVS doesn't let me search threads.

Anyway, does anyone else have WYFF surround sound issues? Specifically the rear is extremely high, but really only during commercials. It's only station where it is extremely noticeable. I mean, to the point where I almost always mute commercials when I am watching a show on that station. My setup is DirecTV through an XBOX One through a Denon 3313ci out to a 5.1 Cambridge Audio system.

Prime example: right now watching The Voice which is outputting around 42db out of my left rear at the most. Commercials come on and the spikes hit 58db from the exact same measuring position!
The difference is real 5.1 vs synthesized 5.1. When the incoming audio is 5.1 we pass it unaltered. When the incoming audio is stereo, our audio processor creates 5.1 from the stereo. It generally does a good job but we did notice there was more audio in the rear channel than there should be so we have adjusted that. It should be better now.
post #10985 of 10995 Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Look like WYFF-4 getting ready add new subchannel. There is 36.3 appear when you rescan. Thought it was WCNC but Samsung signal meter says real RF36. Maybe they bring back weather channel. But Antenna TV would be good.
We discontinued our mobile DTV signal back in May and toyed with the idea of using that bandwidth for a second subchannel. As some found, we tested it for about 24 hours to prove the concept. Unfortunately, it's not going to work out at this time. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.
post #10986 of 10995 Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasd5 View Post
We discontinued our mobile DTV signal back in May and toyed with the idea of using that bandwidth for a second subchannel. As some found, we tested it for about 24 hours to prove the concept. Unfortunately, it's not going to work out at this time. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.
Thanks for the update. But good move dropping the Mobile DTV which was not widely adopted. Now that bandwidth can be better used for future use or better pic quality.
post #10987 of 10995 Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM

i wonder has WYFF always been the best station or has WLOS ever been as good as WYFF like in the 80s in terms of news and network programming? much of my tapes from the 80s and 90s came taped off 4 so..

Last edited by danderson400; Today at 04:43 AM.
post #10988 of 10995 Old Today, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasd5 View Post
The difference is real 5.1 vs synthesized 5.1. When the incoming audio is 5.1 we pass it unaltered. When the incoming audio is stereo, our audio processor creates 5.1 from the stereo. It generally does a good job but we did notice there was more audio in the rear channel than there should be so we have adjusted that. It should be better now.
i remembered my tape of "On Scene" and the movie "Perry Mason: The Case of the Ruthless Reporter" i noticed that "On Scene" wasn't in stereo but "The Case of the Ruthless Reporter" was! was Group W not doing stereo then but NBC was? this was in early 90s i don't think you were at the station then?
post #10989 of 10995 Old Today, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400 View Post
i remembered my tape of "On Scene" and the movie "Perry Mason: The Case of the Ruthless Reporter" i noticed that "On Scene" wasn't in stereo but "The Case of the Ruthless Reporter" was! was Group W not doing stereo then but NBC was? this was in early 90s i don't think you were at the station then?
WYFF went stereo in the mid 80's. As I recall, all NBC prime time shows were in stereo from that point on, other content not so much. Not sure about your reference to "Group W". WFBC/WYFF has never been affiliated with Group W.
post #10990 of 10995 Old Today, 07:56 AM

ok then i remember that the syndicated shows were not in stereo but the NBC stuff was because i remember the NBC graphic which had the NBC peacock inside a television set with a pair of headphones on top of the set i remember ABC's stereo graphic from watching "Wide World" or "China Beach" or college football WLOS had their own stereo graphic too from watching "American Gladiators" or "Wheel Of Fortune"

Last edited by danderson400; Today at 08:01 AM.
post #10991 of 10995 Old Today, 08:30 AM

i might explain my setup back then i had two satellite receivers two TV's a antenna a home theater system that could receive stereo sound and a radio and tape player back then kept tapes in a self
post #10992 of 10995 Old Today, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400 View Post
i wonder has WYFF always been the best station or has WLOS ever been as good as WYFF like in the 80s in terms of news and network programming? much of my tapes from the 80s and 90s came taped off 4 so..
WYFF has historically been a leading station in the Upstate market, with WLOS primarily serving Asheville and the mountain communities of western NC. But they are the ABC affiliate for the Upstate as well, so it is a bit frustrating that their digital signal is not as good as their analog was in this region. It should be much better with their tall tower atop Mt. Pisgah, but their directional pattern does not favor the Upstate. And WSOC does not make it past Spartanburg, unlike WBTV, WCNC, and WJZY. Which gives me 2 strong CBS, NBC, and FOX affiliates, but weaker ABC reception.
post #10993 of 10995 Old Today, 02:36 PM

to say the least NBC had the better shows in the 80s and early 90s but WYFF's syndicated lineup with the exception of Oprah and maybe "On Scene Emergency Response" and "Inside Edition" left something to be desired(since WLOS had the two hit syndie shows in "Wheel" and "Jeopardy") in fact WYFF had a hard time trying to get a show to compete with the latter two but "On Scene" delivered viewers to the NBC comedies and "Sisters" on Saturday nights for a few years in the 90s was the syndie lineup any better though(since for years 4 always did a hour of news until they got Entertainment Tonight and had to move Tom Brokaw to 6:30) 4 also had the issue that 13 has now in trying to air ACC Hoops when you have some hit shows on your hands(although the ACC refrained from having games during Must See TV)
post #10994 of 10995 Old Today, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

^^Syndicated programming became more lucrative at 7pm and stations such as WYFF, WBTV, and WSOC dropped the one hour newscast at 6pm and pushed the network news back to 6:30, in order to make room for shows such as Entertainment Tonight, Inside Edition, Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy. Earlier newscasts were added at 5pm, and more recently some stations such as WBTV, WCNC, and WHNS now have a 4pm newscast, to counter program as WYFF and WSOC struggle to recuperate from the lead in loss of Oprah.

Also WBTV and WYFF had popular PM Magazine programs at 7:30pm which had syndicated reports with local hosts.
post #10995 of 10995 Old Today, 05:54 PM

and there was the one year WLOS tried airing syndicated stuff instead of college football from ABC..it didn't work because the CBS games routed those shows in the ratings so they had to go back the next year..and have never done it since(although the CBS games in the past few years have been good-maybe its because of the SEC package they have now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception