Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 368 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Charter appears to be suffering another major outage in the upstate this morning
Yet again another reason to have an antenna as a backup or supplement to cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 16
here is a website http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...king/index.htm

where it talk about the new ATSC 3.0 from that site said that the digital tuner on the tv won't work you would have to get a new tv or a new converter box for the ATSC 3.0
Old 08-02-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Will the ATSC 3.0 transmit a 4K signal? And the same coverage area? And will I have to get yet another converter box or a new TV? I like the plasma TVs I have now.
The good news... yes, the goal is to use HEVC (aka h.265) to enable 4K transmission and more. It will be IP based
The bad news... it is not backward compatible with current receivers so there will be a transition to the new transmission format. I expect there will be external receivers to use with current displays.
As for coverage, TBD. The FCC is reclaiming more TV spectrum so many stations will be changing channels again. The goal is to replicate current coverage. What actually happens is anybody's guess.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

^^I will probably get a converter box whenever this next transition occurs. Or maybe by then I will upgrade to a 4K OLED TV, which I prefer as a better replacement for plasma than LED. Hopefully the major channels will keep their full power coverage area, as I enjoy some of the Charlotte channels in addition to GSP. I mainly view WYFF and WSPA locally, along with WBTV and sometimes WCNC and WJZY. And then often WSOC and WCCB will come in at night.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
can i ask you-were station preempting for weather a lot back in the day or did they use crawls? i do remember WYFF doing a split screen once for a NFL playoff game between the Browns and Steelers..but that was for a winter storm in SC and i do remember watching a US-East Germany gymnastics meet on Wide World Of Sports in 1990 and there were severe thunderstorms close by my area..but WLOS only did a crawl and didn't interrupt were crawls used more often back then?

Last edited by danderson400; 08-02-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasd5 View Post
WYFF went stereo in the mid 80's. As I recall, all NBC prime time shows were in stereo from that point on, other content not so much. Not sure about your reference to "Group W". WFBC/WYFF has never been affiliated with Group W.
on my tape you can tell the difference in audio quality between "On Scene: Emergency Response" and "A Promise to Keep" in fact i had a few tapes were the audio quality changes based on the source in the "On Scene" episode about the Shulman rescue when hearing the flight nurse Laura Carnahan talking to Shulman it sounds mono but at one point in the movie "A Promise to Keep" when Dana Delany was crying you could hear her tears as well as her emotions! it showed me how having a show in stereo does better for the product
Old 08-03-2015, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I don't have Gold, so can't confirm whether the signal still there or not, but I can confirm it's still in my cable card channel map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post
I'm using a cablecard. I don't have a box to check with.
So does anyone on the forum have a contact for Charter in our area? (Maybe one of our friendly TV engineers could pass this concern on?) The national Charter HDTV thread people say the channel is working properly in other areas so clearly this is a local issue. I tried contacting their usual support when I had to call about our services being out in my area this past weekend. They blamed it on it being the off-season, but if it is working in other areas it should be here. It was until last week..

When RedZone (824) is the only channel out clearly it isn't my equipment like they claim if you all see the same thing.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
So does anyone on the forum have a contact for Charter in our area? (Maybe one of our friendly TV engineers could pass this concern on?) The national Charter HDTV thread people say the channel is working properly in other areas so clearly this is a local issue. I tried contacting their usual support when I had to call about our services being out in my area this past weekend. They blamed it on it being the off-season, but if it is working in other areas it should be here. It was until last week..

When RedZone (824) is the only channel out clearly it isn't my equipment like they claim if you all see the same thing.
Unfortunately I tried talking to support and got nowhere. Like you said only a local contact will be able to help. What is strange is the SD channel works so it is clearly not a package issue. I hope it is fixed before the season starts. I don't want to watch on my Xbox as it is at least a minute or more behind live.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I tried talking to support and got nowhere. Like you said only a local contact will be able to help. What is strange is the SD channel works so it is clearly not a package issue. I hope it is fixed before the season starts. I don't want to watch on my Xbox as it is at least a minute or more behind live.
That's what I'm concerned about... I realize it isn't active now, but it will be for the pre-season games coming up (4 nights anyway, per the NFL's announcement). I figured this would be difficult to get them to notice/fix

Thanks for the info on the SD channel... I completely forgot there was an SD version. Sounds like one of their HD encoders or the receiver for that channel's HD feed must have gone out.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's what I'm concerned about... I realize it isn't active now, but it will be for the pre-season games coming up (4 nights anyway, per the NFL's announcement). I figured this would be difficult to get them to notice/fix

Thanks for the info on the SD channel... I completely forgot there was an SD version. Sounds like one of their HD encoders or the receiver for that channel's HD feed must have gone out.
The channel is alive again for me!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The channel is alive again for me!
Yup, I finally was able to get ahold of a local technician yesterday morning who saw the same problem and passed it up the line to their supervisor. By the afternoon he'd called back and asked me to verify that the channel was back on. So hopefully we're set now... fingers crossed.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

I've got a question hopefully some of you who have been around a lot longer than I have can answer. I collect old sports broadcasts, and have a lot of Clemson/South Carolina games going back to 1977. I know in the pre-ESPN era ABC dominated college football and essentially controlled how many games could air live for each team.

Many of the Clemson/USC games from the late 70's and early 80's that I have use graphics that say "Clemson Football '78" and carry the radio call of legendary announcer Jim Phillips along with the video. These had to be re-broadcasts of some type I know, but was this a regular weekly occurrence?
Old 08-09-2015, 08:35 AM

i think that WLOS handles conflicts better by having the ABC shows on 13 and the ACC Games on 40 even if it means delaying the 10:00 News i wonder if it is ABC cracking down on preemptions?
Old 08-09-2015, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400 View Post
i think that WLOS handles conflicts better by having the ABC shows on 13 and the ACC Games on 40 even if it means delaying the 10:00 News i wonder if it is ABC cracking down on preemptions?
Depends on the programming. Sometimes ACC games will be on 13, other times on 40. Same with games on WBTV-3, other times 46 and 55.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Channels 191 & 198 on Charter

Has anyone had trouble viewing channels 191 & 198 (ETV & SCC) on Charter over the last couple of days? I've been getting "This channel should be availabe shortly" since Friday. Thought I would ask here before calling Charter.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusky14 View Post
Has anyone had trouble viewing channels 191 & 198 (ETV & SCC) on Charter over the last couple of days? I've been getting "This channel should be availabe shortly" since Friday. Thought I would ask here before calling Charter.

They're coming in fine for me
Old 08-11-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I get 3 SC-ETV channels consistently with an antenna. 29, 38, and 49. And no problems with Charter either.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's strange....just started a few days ago. Called Charter and the phone folks were no help just suggested that they send a tech out. It's the same issue on all the receivers in the house.

I get 29, 25 & 33 (and their subs) OTA and they are fine.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They're coming in fine for me
Strange. Neither come in for me. I get a "channel not authorized message". Clearly they should be authorized as they are on every package.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I get 33 also but that is UNC-TV. But both SC-ETV and UNC-TV are PBS.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Strange. Neither come in for me. I get a "channel not authorized message". Clearly they should be authorized as they are on every package.
have you all tried refresh your boxes by going to

https://m.charter.com/Views/AccountR...Equipment.aspx

all three ETV channels is fine on my charter.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
have you all tried refresh your boxes by going to

https://m.charter.com/Views/AccountR...Equipment.aspx

all three ETV channels is fine on my charter.
I have cablecards and you can't refresh them from the web (but you can over the phone). However, it doesn't work on either of my cablecard devices so I doubt it is an issue with my account. It sounds like a headend issue.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I have cablecards and you can't refresh them from the web (but you can over the phone). However, it doesn't work on either of my cablecard devices so I doubt it is an issue with my account. It sounds like a headend issue.
I refreshed the boxes several times with no change.

Called Charter again late yesterday and the tech support felt like it was probably a bigger issue and said he would escalate it to the field folks.

Either by coincidence or their fix, the channels are now working again for me.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:58 PM

i know that WYFF had "On Scene: Emergency Response" and "Memories: Then and Now" in 1990- i know that just by memory and there were promos of both on some of my NFL games i had taped off 4 i remember the promos for both quite well and of course i was a TV Guide buyer back then lol
Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I found an interesting tidbit while surfing the web regarding WYFF having originally planned to carry the GSN (Game Show Network) on OTA DT 4.3 sometime back in the 2003-7 period. Does anyone remember if it ever did air on OTA ? Or was that just something that was planned and never came to fruition, if it did air on 4.3 it's interesting because it shows that WYFF was already capable of operating a second subchannel way back. Anyone?
Old 08-19-2015, 03:41 AM

i was tihnking how would have a digtal subchannel worked in the late 80s early 90s? would have WYFF been able to show "On Scene" if there was a conflict lets say with a late season NFL game on a Saturday that started at 4:00 or 4:30 from NBC? would have WLOS been able to show a Billy Graham Cursade at the same time as "China Beach"? would have WYFF also been able to carry a ACC game at the same time as a NBA game from NBC? it just makes me wonder about that stations might have been able to handle conflicts better

Last edited by danderson400; 08-19-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:31 PM

i do remember once seeing the WYFF id during a mid-break on "Another World" the soap opera i also saw it on "Santa Barbara" so was it SOP to show the station id over the mid-break because i remember seeing the WLOS id on the mid-breaks of the soaps, "China Beach" "Life Goes On" and a few other shows and the WSPA id during "Guiding Light"

Last edited by danderson400; 08-19-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:02 PM

Escape TV WHNS 21.3 is now on Charter channel 176
Old 08-25-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Folks in Western Carolinas and Northeast Georgia. Had you ever recorded stuff from WFBC/WYFF 4 (NBC), WSPA 7 (CBS), WLOS 13 (ABC), WGGS 16 (Religious Independent), WHNS 21 (then Independent, now FOX), WNTV 29 (PBS/SCETV), WUNF 33 (PBS/UNC-TV), WAIM/WAXA/WFBC/WBSC/WMYA 40, and WASV/WYCW 62 on VHS in the past between 1977-2000?

The earliest VHS recordings from WYFF 4 I got on it was taped over from a home video of Three Stooges shorts, with a partial promo for NBC's Summer Sunday USA with current California Governor Jerry Brown with ex-GF Linda Rondstant? with Linda Ellerbee (now at Nickelodeon) and Andrea Mitchell (still at NBC News as of Today) after the promo was over it cuts off the promo for Days of Our Lives while network music played in the background it shows Kenn Sparks quiet at the NewsCenter4 desk for promo of Noon Newscast with Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo of course. It was recorded in mid-July 1984. Another VHS to DVD-R recording between January-May 1986 was partial recordings of NBC's Days of Our Lives with commercials and from the May 14, 1986 episode was interrupted by an NBC News Special Report anchored by the late John Palmer on the aftermath of Chernobyl thingy and it had the Proud N logo on the special report despite the current NBC logo was introduced two days earlier officially. After 5/14/1986 Days episode, it has NBC promos with Proud N logo and Today Show promo (then hosted by Gumbel/Pauley) some local commercials, Donahue promo for WYFF 4 (before moved to rival WLOS 13 in 1987) with Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo and Proud N logo as well, then a NewsCenter4 bumper with NewsCenter4 logo in Silver on top of the screen, on the bottom Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo, white call letters, and current 6 feathered NBC logo (the earliest recordings of the current NBC logo I have), and first few seconds of now-defunct Another World. Another Days episode, it has a PSA with Malcolm Jamal Warner with Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo, NewsCenter4 promo with Proud N logo. Another it has a promo for NewsCenter4 with Carl Clark, Carol Anderson (Goldsmith) which she's still at 4 today, and the late Charlie Gertz. It also has partial promo of PM Magazine with Red/Blue Arrow 4 with Proud N logo, and a promo from NewsCenter4 from circa January 1986.

Another DVD-R is a repeat of 1985's Motown Returns at The Apollo on NBC (recorded August 3, 1986). Locals, one promo a off-network showings of Diff'rent Strokes with silver Arrow 4 logo and call letters and current NBC logo with Charlie Van Dyke doing v/o. Two promos has future Weather Channel personality Mike Seidel doing 11pm teasers for NewsCenter4 (same graphics used from May 14, 1986), Alta Snell doing the news update with Red/Blue Arrow 4 logo, and a commercial after the news update, it has the Gold Arrow 4 logo with current NBC peacock with Charlie Van Dyke doing v/o "South Carolina Television Station of the Year" thingy.

VHS tapes from WYFF 4: July 2, 1989 a repeat of NBC movie "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" with local promos from NewsCenter4 with Lizz Walker and longtime mainstays Michael Cogdill and Dale Gilbert. It has a promo for Primetime with Annette Estes where one interview she interviewed Willard Scott (sans toupee).

August 1989, a partial VHS recording of the repeat of the 1986 NBC mini-series ON WINGS OF EAGLES, it has an NBC News At This Hour segment anchored by the late Garrick Utley, a NewsCenter4 promo, a Burt Wolf promo as well. Gold Arrow 4 logo of course.

From November 13, 1989: When NewsCenter4 already became News4, I've got a partial recording of The NBC TV-Movie CAST THE FIRST STONE (OBWC) and promos for News4 as well with Clark and Estes, and even ex personnel like Jeff Abell, and the late Charlie Gertz. Also Gold Arrow 4 logo too.

November 26, 1989 VHS recording was a repeat of the NBC movie 1986's TOP GUN. It has a Golden Apple Award promo, News4 Tonight with Codgill/Walker, a sports teaser with Paul Johnson, etc.

January 22, 1990 VHS recording of a repeat of the NBC movie 1986's THE DELTA FORCE. It has News4 promos with Clark/Estes, Judy Booker (now at rival station) filling in for Gertz doing weather promo, etc.

February 4, 1990 VHS recording of the NBC movie 1987's LETHAL WEAPON has News4 promos with Cogdill/Walker.

February 11 and 13, 1990 VHS recording of the NBC mini-series BLIND FAITH (with the late greats Robert Urich and Dennis Farina and pre-Big Bang Theory Johnny Galecki) with News4 promos with Codgill/Walker about the release of the late Nelson Mandella, Clark/Estes and News4 Speed Week promo, and the late Charlie Gertz too. (OBWC)

February 19, 1990 VHS recording of a repeat of the TV-movie of the short lived NBC show NASTY BOYS. It has Clark/Estes News4 promos with Abell, WYFF 4 station ID minus words "Your Friend", after the end of the movie it has promos of NBC's movies "A Family For Joe" and "Too Young to Die?", etc.

February 25, 1990 VHS recording of a TV-movie later short lived series on NBC starring the late Robert Mitchum called A FAMILY FOR JOE (OBWC) it has Dale Gilbert weather teaser for News4, Deborah Norville (TODAY show then co-host) doing NBC NEWS AT THIS HOUR, etc.

February 26, 1990 VHS recording of a TV-movie TO YOUNG TO DIE? (OBWC) with then-unknown Brad Pitt, it has News4 promos with Clark/Estes, Abell, and Gertz, and the whose on first promo for the debut of News4 This Morning which first broadcast on March 5, 1990, etc.

January 6, 1991 VHS recording of NBC TV movie PERRY MASON: THE CASE OF THE RUTHLESS REPORTER (OBWC) has TMYK promo with Betty White, News4 promos with Cogdill/Walker, after the movie partial recording of News4 11pm newscast. It was before the late Charlie Gertz retired, the Arrow 4 logo retired, and John Cessarich arrived.

To Be Continued....

I'll tell you more VHS recordings I got in the future from other stations. I hope you'll like it tylerSC!
a few of my tapes..
"On Scene" with a Coast Guard rescue in the icy Bering Sea; the helicopter rescue of a mother and son trapped in a freeway accident near San Bernadino (Cal.); and efforts to save an abandoned baby in Wichita and the NBC Monday Night Movie "A Promise To Keep"
"On Scene" with rescue efforts in the aftermath of tornadoes that struck Kansas on April 26, 1991. Included: interviews with rescue personnel and victims; clips of the tornadoes
"On Scene" from California: Car accidents near Idyllwild and Oceanside. Also: an infant with a high fever is treated near La Jolla
"On Scene" where Cleveland narcotics teams make a bust at an apartment complex; California rescuers airlift a traffic-accident victim; and firefighters are dispatched to battle a suspected arson at a two-story restaurant also has parts of the 1992 Olympics from Barcelona including some medal ceremonies(weird to have "On Scene" on same tape as the Olympics but...)
"On Scene" where members of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department aid a man who fell from a cliff; a Coast Guard unit searches for survivors of a plane crash in Miami. Also: footage of a boat set on fire by drug smugglers has a Olympics snippet too(women's 200 meter butterfly and medal ceremony for Summer Sanders)
two episodes of "On Scene" with segments on an air rescue involving an overturned pickup truck; Long Island, N.Y., paramedics with a pedestrian hit by a car; and the Royal Ambulance Corps in Belfast, Northern Ireland the second one is segments on helicopter rescues at a multicar accident in Huntington Beach, Cal., and at the Gunpowder River in Maryland, where rescuers try to save two children from drowning. Also: firefighters battle a rooftop blaze in Manhattan (these two were taped off reruns on Discovery People while on vacation in Tennessee in 1998)
"On Scene" with a look at rescue efforts following the 1990 crash of Avianca Airlines Flight 52 in New York, which were hampered by bad weather and heavy traffic
"On Scene" with the retrieval of passengers whose yacht sank in the Pacific Ocean; the battle against a New York fire in a deserted building used for drug deals; and efforts to save two auto-accident victims
"On Scene" where the show travels to Florida to follow the Metro Dade County Fire Department's effort to rescue a man involved in a boating accident; a girl injured in a motor-scooter accident; a mother and daughter burned in a fire; and a man shot in a gang fight also has a episode of the NBC drama "Sisters"
NBC TV movie PERRY MASON: THE CASE OF THE RUTHLESS REPORTER and "Memories Then And Now"(syndicated show with Chuck Scarborough and Kathryn Kinley)
"On Scene" with segments on rescues of flood victims by the Phoenix Fire Department; the near-drowning of a 10-year-old Long Island boy; and the efforts of the London Fire Brigade during a hotel fire and the ABC movie "Lucky Day"(the "On Scene" episode was a rerun)
"On Scene" From California: A boating accident in San Bernardino County; a motorcycle accident in the Mojave Desert
"On Scene" with segments on the New York City Transit Police; and the Newport Beach, Cal., Harbor Patrol. Also: rescue efforts by the Miami Metro Dade Fire Department after an earthquake in Manila
"On Scene" with a shooting near Fort Worth; an auto accident in Santa Ana (Cal.); a drug bust off the coast of Miami(the "On Scene" episode was a rerun)
"On Scene" with segments on an Arizona helicopter rescue of car-crash victims; U.S. Coast Guard search-and-rescue missions off Malibu and Long Island; and the San Francisco Fire Department at the scene of an accident on the Bay Bridge and a movie(the movie has a scene where someone jumps in the swimming pool to a band after a dance)
"On Scene" with segments on a California multi-car collision; the Laguna Beach, Cal., fire-department rescue of a woman stranded on a cliff; and an Arizona drug arrest involving gunfire has a movie afterwards taped off AMC(back when that channel was ad free)
"On Scene" with automobile accidents in Ohio, Wisconsin, California and New Jersey; a man who was stabbed during a drug deal in Mexico; a fire in New York also has a movie afterwards(and it was a silent movie taped off AMC

Last edited by danderson400; 08-29-2015 at 04:25 AM.
Old Today, 07:45 PM

An Update on WGTA TV 32 for Greenville-Spartanburg Market

Our negotiations to find a station/translator/LP/etc in the Greenville market has not yet been successful. To be honest with you, I think until after the FCC Auction next March, no one wants to sell or change anything until they see what the fallout may be. I wish I had better news.

i receive this email from GM for WGTA TV