Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 368 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #11011 of 11020 Unread Yesterday, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Charter appears to be suffering another major outage in the upstate this morning
Yet again another reason to have an antenna as a backup or supplement to cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11012 of 11020 Unread Yesterday, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 16
here is a website http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...king/index.htm

where it talk about the new ATSC 3.0 from that site said that the digital tuner on the tv won't work you would have to get a new tv or a new converter box for the ATSC 3.0
post #11013 of 11020 Unread Yesterday, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Will the ATSC 3.0 transmit a 4K signal? And the same coverage area? And will I have to get yet another converter box or a new TV? I like the plasma TVs I have now.
The good news... yes, the goal is to use HEVC (aka h.265) to enable 4K transmission and more. It will be IP based
The bad news... it is not backward compatible with current receivers so there will be a transition to the new transmission format. I expect there will be external receivers to use with current displays.
As for coverage, TBD. The FCC is reclaiming more TV spectrum so many stations will be changing channels again. The goal is to replicate current coverage. What actually happens is anybody's guess.
post #11014 of 11020 Unread Yesterday, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 125
^^I will probably get a converter box whenever this next transition occurs. Or maybe by then I will upgrade to a 4K OLED TV, which I prefer as a better replacement for plasma than LED. Hopefully the major channels will keep their full power coverage area, as I enjoy some of the Charlotte channels in addition to GSP. I mainly view WYFF and WSPA locally, along with WBTV and sometimes WCNC and WJZY. And then often WSOC and WCCB will come in at night.
post #11015 of 11020 Unread Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
can i ask you-were station preempting for weather a lot back in the day or did they use crawls? i do remember WYFF doing a split screen once for a NFL playoff game between the Browns and Steelers..but that was for a winter storm in SC and i do remember watching a US-East Germany gymnastics meet on Wide World Of Sports in 1990 and there were severe thunderstorms close by my area..but WLOS only did a crawl and didn't interrupt were crawls used more often back then?

Last edited by danderson400; Yesterday at 06:35 PM.
post #11016 of 11020 Unread Yesterday, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasd5 View Post
WYFF went stereo in the mid 80's. As I recall, all NBC prime time shows were in stereo from that point on, other content not so much. Not sure about your reference to "Group W". WFBC/WYFF has never been affiliated with Group W.
on my tape you can tell the difference in audio quality between "On Scene: Emergency Response" and "A Promise to Keep" in fact i had a few tapes were the audio quality changes based on the source in the "On Scene" episode about the Shulman rescue when hearing the flight nurse Laura Carnahan talking to Shulman it sounds mono but at one point in the movie "A Promise to Keep" when Dana Delany was crying you could hear her tears as well as her emotions! it showed me how having a show in stereo does better for the product
post #11017 of 11020 Unread Today, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I don't have Gold, so can't confirm whether the signal still there or not, but I can confirm it's still in my cable card channel map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post
I'm using a cablecard. I don't have a box to check with.
So does anyone on the forum have a contact for Charter in our area? (Maybe one of our friendly TV engineers could pass this concern on?) The national Charter HDTV thread people say the channel is working properly in other areas so clearly this is a local issue. I tried contacting their usual support when I had to call about our services being out in my area this past weekend. They blamed it on it being the off-season, but if it is working in other areas it should be here. It was until last week..

When RedZone (824) is the only channel out clearly it isn't my equipment like they claim if you all see the same thing.
post #11018 of 11020 Unread Today, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
So does anyone on the forum have a contact for Charter in our area? (Maybe one of our friendly TV engineers could pass this concern on?) The national Charter HDTV thread people say the channel is working properly in other areas so clearly this is a local issue. I tried contacting their usual support when I had to call about our services being out in my area this past weekend. They blamed it on it being the off-season, but if it is working in other areas it should be here. It was until last week..

When RedZone (824) is the only channel out clearly it isn't my equipment like they claim if you all see the same thing.
Unfortunately I tried talking to support and got nowhere. Like you said only a local contact will be able to help. What is strange is the SD channel works so it is clearly not a package issue. I hope it is fixed before the season starts. I don't want to watch on my Xbox as it is at least a minute or more behind live.
post #11019 of 11020 Unread Today, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post
Unfortunately I tried talking to support and got nowhere. Like you said only a local contact will be able to help. What is strange is the SD channel works so it is clearly not a package issue. I hope it is fixed before the season starts. I don't want to watch on my Xbox as it is at least a minute or more behind live.
That's what I'm concerned about... I realize it isn't active now, but it will be for the pre-season games coming up (4 nights anyway, per the NFL's announcement). I figured this would be difficult to get them to notice/fix

Thanks for the info on the SD channel... I completely forgot there was an SD version. Sounds like one of their HD encoders or the receiver for that channel's HD feed must have gone out.
post #11020 of 11020 Unread Today, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

I just noticed something... while tuning 824 (RedZone HD) I get the problem with this signal message, but when you hit the Info button on the TiVo it lists the signal as 720p. Why would RedZone be 720p when NFL Network is 1080i?

EDIT: Now when I go to it and click on info it says 1080i. Strange, strange
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page