Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 368 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #11011 of 11016 Old Today, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Charter appears to be suffering another major outage in the upstate this morning
Yet again another reason to have an antenna as a backup or supplement to cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11012 of 11016 Old Today, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 16
here is a website http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...king/index.htm

where it talk about the new ATSC 3.0 from that site said that the digital tuner on the tv won't work you would have to get a new tv or a new converter box for the ATSC 3.0
post #11013 of 11016 Old Today, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Will the ATSC 3.0 transmit a 4K signal? And the same coverage area? And will I have to get yet another converter box or a new TV? I like the plasma TVs I have now.
The good news... yes, the goal is to use HEVC (aka h.265) to enable 4K transmission and more. It will be IP based
The bad news... it is not backward compatible with current receivers so there will be a transition to the new transmission format. I expect there will be external receivers to use with current displays.
As for coverage, TBD. The FCC is reclaiming more TV spectrum so many stations will be changing channels again. The goal is to replicate current coverage. What actually happens is anybody's guess.
post #11014 of 11016 Old Today, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 125
^^I will probably get a converter box whenever this next transition occurs. Or maybe by then I will upgrade to a 4K OLED TV, which I prefer as a better replacement for plasma than LED. Hopefully the major channels will keep their full power coverage area, as I enjoy some of the Charlotte channels in addition to GSP. I mainly view WYFF and WSPA locally, along with WBTV and sometimes WCNC and WJZY. And then often WSOC and WCCB will come in at night.
post #11015 of 11016 Old Today, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
can i ask you-were station preempting for weather a lot back in the day or did they use crawls? i do remember WYFF doing a split screen once for a NFL playoff game between the Browns and Steelers..but that was for a winter storm in SC and i do remember watching a US-East Germany gymnastics meet on Wide World Of Sports in 1990 and there were severe thunderstorms close by my area..but WLOS only did a crawl and didn't interrupt were crawls used more often back then?

Last edited by danderson400; Today at 06:35 PM.
post #11016 of 11016 Old Today, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasd5 View Post
WYFF went stereo in the mid 80's. As I recall, all NBC prime time shows were in stereo from that point on, other content not so much. Not sure about your reference to "Group W". WFBC/WYFF has never been affiliated with Group W.
on my tape you can tell the difference in audio quality between "On Scene: Emergency Response" and "A Promise to Keep" in fact i had a few tapes were the audio quality changes based on the source in the "On Scene" episode about the Shulman rescue when hearing the flight nurse Laura Carnahan talking to Shulman it sounds mono but at one point in the movie "A Promise to Keep" when Dana Delany was crying you could hear her tears as well as her emotions! it showed me how having a show in stereo does better for the product
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception