Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 378 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #11311 of 11822 Old 03-03-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Everything on Charter Greenville is still copy freely except for premiums and possibly some sports channels.
Thanks!

That was confirmed by a Charter Tech friend of mine. He says generally digital basic service are copy freely, premium services are copy once, and pay-for-view is copy never......

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11312 of 11822 Old 03-03-2016, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDevildog View Post
I got an e-mail from a WLOS station rep today in response to my earlier inquiry. He said Channel 13 is trying to get a translator on Paris Mountain near Greenville via one of the towers already standing.
They keep telling they are working on translotors.
post #11313 of 11822 Old 03-04-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDevildog View Post
I got an e-mail from a WLOS station rep today in response to my earlier inquiry. He said Channel 13 is trying to get a translator on Paris Mountain near Greenville via one of the towers already standing.
They had plans for a translator signal on Paris Mountain but may be on hold now due to FCC repack.

But I get 13 just fine with rabbit ears in the attic, but it requires an FM trap before the preamp to eliminate interference from nearby radio signals. And WSPA and SC-ETV are also very strong on RF7 and RF9, so sometimes an attenuator or filter may also help with finding a delicate balance to get 13 to avoid overload from the preamp.

post #11314 of 11822 Old 03-06-2016, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wlos ota

Hello everyone. It has been a while since I've been here but that is a good thing as my reception and issues have been nil for quite a while. Well, that seems to have changed for WLOS (13) sometime over the last 2 to 3 weeks (maybe a bit longer). Please note that this issue is not for cable, but for OTA and is only an issue for WLOS - all other channels are fine.

I use a home built DVR to record/watch/delete pretty much all of my TV programming. This system has worked well for many years. Starting recently (last 2 or 3 weeks???) when I play back anything from WLOS, the video is not quite right. It is a bit hard to describe but I guess I would say it looks like some video frames are being dropped causing motion to look a bit jerky. It is most noticeable when it is a scene where the camera is panning left/right. When there is little or no motion, the video looks fine.

I have done quite a bit of troubleshooting trying to determine the source of the issue but since it only appears on WLOS I don't really know what to look for. I have tried multiple tuners and multiple computers for playback to no avail. It seems to me that something has changed in the transmission stream but I don't know if that is even a possibility. What's more frustrating is that if I watch WLOS live (not through the DVR) it looks fine.

Any ideas?
post #11315 of 11822 Old 03-06-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
Hello everyone. It has been a while since I've been here but that is a good thing as my reception and issues have been nil for quite a while. Well, that seems to have changed for WLOS (13) sometime over the last 2 to 3 weeks (maybe a bit longer). Please note that this issue is not for cable, but for OTA and is only an issue for WLOS - all other channels are fine.

I use a home built DVR to record/watch/delete pretty much all of my TV programming. This system has worked well for many years. Starting recently (last 2 or 3 weeks???) when I play back anything from WLOS, the video is not quite right. It is a bit hard to describe but I guess I would say it looks like some video frames are being dropped causing motion to look a bit jerky. It is most noticeable when it is a scene where the camera is panning left/right. When there is little or no motion, the video looks fine.

I have done quite a bit of troubleshooting trying to determine the source of the issue but since it only appears on WLOS I don't really know what to look for. I have tried multiple tuners and multiple computers for playback to no avail. It seems to me that something has changed in the transmission stream but I don't know if that is even a possibility. What's more frustrating is that if I watch WLOS live (not through the DVR) it looks fine.

Any ideas?
Sounds like some sort of technical issue with WLOS transmission signal but could be issue with DVR settings.
post #11316 of 11822 Old 03-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Is there any way to contact an appropriate person at WLOS to ask them if they have made any recent changes in their transmission format?
post #11317 of 11822 Old 03-08-2016, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post

Any ideas?
I've been having the same problem. It's almost like a stop motion effect. It only seems to affect their HD signal. When I watch them through an old converter box it doesn't happen. All of my TVs have LG tuners.
post #11318 of 11822 Old 03-14-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a good Winegard FM antenna in the attic. I get good distant reception, but for some reason I can no longer get the HD Radio signal from Channel 96.1 in Charlotte to lock on. It always used to lock in no problem until about last October sometime. Have there been any local RF changes that increased the noise figure so it will no longer lock on? Perhaps 95.9 or 96.3 increased power? I have tried the antenna with or without the preamp, and separate from the TV antenna in the attic.

I suspect the problem could indeed be from some of these new low power translator signals which are detrimental to distant reception. I have lost WLKO on 102.9 since WGTK began broadcasting a Lite format on 102.9. And no more WKKT Kat Country on 96.9 because of a Hispanic station. And WLNK-107.9 the Link is now problematic in the car because of WXRU-LP, although I fortunately I still get WLNK very strong with rabbit ears in the house, including the HD. I think several of these translators should have been limited to Anderson County where the Charlotte signals drop off, because several of the Charlotte signals have always reached Greenville County. DMA boundaries or not.

I tend to prefer 95.1 and 96.1 over 93.7 for the CHR format. But my main station is 107.9-WLNK for adult AC format and personality based shows such as Matt and Ramona and Bob and Sheri. But I am curious why 96.1-HD will no longer lock on until Spartanburg, as I do get 95.1-HD which broadcasts from the same tower.
post #11319 of 11822 Old 03-22-2016, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 12
tylerSC,

What's your thoughts on The Price is Right shown for one day only on WYCW 62 this week in lieu of WSPA 7 because of funeral of Officer Allen Jacobs? WSPA is CBS, TPIR is a CBS show, and WYCW is The CW not CBS. WYCW pretending to be WSPA and CBS is a bad idea, it's like someone being an impostor. The funeral coverage would been better off on WYCW 62 instead IMHO.

It reminds me back in Labor Day 1998 when WSPA 7 was broadcasting the opening of the Bi-Lo Center (now Bon Securs Wellness Arena) and they locally preempted CBS Sports coverage of US Open which ended up on WYCW 62 (then WASV) instead. Then WSPA 7 continutes to preempt CBS Sporting Events for local nonsense and end up on Channel 62 instead. This mainly happened in 1998-1999. Also WASV carried NBC Sports Programming locally preempted by WYFF 4 because they were broadcasting a CMN Telethon that year, and a MLB game in 2000 as well. Also WMYA (then WBSC) carried ABC sports programs preempted by WLOS 13 when they show local sporting events instead. It doesn't sound right. I remember the Nightline controversy by Sinclair in 2004 and that show ended up on WHNS 21 aka FOX Carolina, and months later WHNS carried a golf sporting event from ABC (with consent) on Labor Day 2004 which was preempted by WLOS because of now-defunct MDA telethons and ironically Bill Haas was in the game.

Do you think North Carolina and Georgia News is irrelevant? I live in South Carolina and SC News is relevant to me. Yesterday, I tried to ask my 2nd Cousin (who has friends living in Charleston, SC) to set up my Slingbox in the Lowcounty so I could watch Charleston locals in its entirety and etc. Unfortunately, they refused! I was disappointed and hopes shattered. I do get Columbia, SC TV stations OTA in Greenwood, but impossible to get Charleston ones.

Localism is still important, the Columbia and Charleston TV stations does relevant in-state SC news 100% while Greenville, SC TV stations does irrelevant NC/GA news besides in-state SC ones. The Nielsen's DMA system is not perfect! I've tried to get an idea to county council about STELAR Market Modification (in-state locals on DIRECTV) but the drawback is they have to pay $1,465 fee to file a FCC petition and also unfortunately individuals can't file petitions.
SOOL!

I don't want to give up my hopes in watching in-state news like Charleston, SC for example. But watching the newscasts online is NOT THE SAME because it don't have syndicated/network programming, just local news. Instead of REAL commercials, a dreadful screen with TV station logo with the words "We'll be right back!"...Is that the NAB's idea? Sad indeed!

Please reply ASAP! Thanks

Spencer Karter

OTA Equipment: ChannelMaster 25' telescopic mast, 5' extra antenna mast, antenna rotor, AntennaCraft C490.
post #11320 of 11822 Old 03-22-2016, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quick update on my video problems with WLOS. I was watching DTWS last night. When the program was live I didn't experience any problems. But when they went a commercial break the effect returned.

I have a very cheap PVR that I bought for $40 at Amazon. It's mostly a piece of junk. But I have noticed it doesn't have the same problem. This leads me to wonder if my TVs are old enough to not be in sync with the most current ATSC standard.

I have written to WLOS but have not gotten a answer and I really don't expect to. SBG has a bad record when it comes to viewer response.
post #11321 of 11822 Old 03-22-2016, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtripboy View Post
Quick update on my video problems with WLOS. I was watching DTWS last night. When the program was live I didn't experience any problems. But when they went a commercial break the effect returned.

I have a very cheap PVR that I bought for $40 at Amazon. It's mostly a piece of junk. But I have noticed it doesn't have the same problem. This leads me to wonder if my TVs are old enough to not be in sync with the most current ATSC standard.

I have written to WLOS but have not gotten a answer and I really don't expect to. SBG has a bad record when it comes to viewer response.
I think there is something going on there. Since your original post I've paid it more attention and I've noticed some of the same things while watching WLOS via Charter on my TiVo. I had similar issues with last weeks' episode of the Real O'Neals.
post #11322 of 11822 Old 03-22-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

SpencerKarter, The police officer funeral is considered significant local interest, so I can see why WSPA will carry it live and preempt Price is Right. But at least they will offer alternative to see Price is Right on WYCW. And some can also watch WBTV.

And it would be nice if cable could carry neighboring market stations like they used to, but as you know it is FCC regulations and contractual issues that now prevent this, such as market exclusivity and significantly viewed status. And the retransmission fees are also a major factor.
post #11323 of 11822 Old 03-22-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I think there is something going on there. Since your original post I've paid it more attention and I've noticed some of the same things while watching WLOS via Charter on my TiVo. I had similar issues with last weeks' episode of the Real O'Neals.
Does the WLOS issue occur only on cable or is OTA affected also? And what about WSOC?
post #11324 of 11822 Old 03-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
SpencerKarter, The police officer funeral is considered significant local interest, so I can see why WSPA will carry it live and preempt Price is Right. But at least they will offer alternative to see Price is Right on WYCW. And some can also watch WBTV.

And it would be nice if cable could carry neighboring market stations like they used to, but as you know it is FCC regulations and contractual issues that now prevent this, such as market exclusivity and significantly viewed status. And the retransmission fees are also a major factor.
tylerSC,

Those FCC rules are 100% absurd and silly. The exclusivity rules needs to go, and retransmission consent too. FCC has promised market modification to get in-state locals (especially those in orphan counties in Northeast Georgia, but sadly forced to watch UNC-TV or SCETV for PBS because of lack of in-state PBS from GPB in this DMA) and failed plus railroad us with crappy $1,465 fee to file petitions for market modification, and the NAB has screwed up America and the stupid Nielsen's DMA boundary nonsense too. Is this supposed to be America? The NAB are UnAmerican, they don't believe in free choice and free market, the NAB are like TV commies (I hate to use that word). Nielsen's DMA system is outdated a broken. I dislike the National Association of Broadcasters, Dennis Wharton, Rick Kaplan, and Gordon Smith with a passion. Paying for free over-the-air signals on Pay-TV that supposed to be free does not many sense! The NAB screwed the USA, and they regret making this rules in 1992 way before digital age and before the 21st century. That's how I feel. Having NO CHOICE but to watch locals from your own market on DIRECTV is UnAmerican and it's not right, period! I bet the NAB's reputation is forever tarnished.

Last night, I was talking to my mom after I was upset that I failed to fulfill my hopes of getting my Slingbox set up at my 2nd Cousin's friends place in Charleston, SC because they tell SC news as well. Unfortunately, plans failed and they refused! I did dropped the F-bombs (won't repeat what it really is) but I was mad at the way the FCC and the Nielsen's messed up DMA system too. I called my friend last night on the phone for 36 minutes and talk about those issues that bothers me. I don't want to know what's happening in NC or GA, only SC. Unfortunately, I cant get a good signal of WBTV OTA, but I can't get a much better signal of WLTX from Columbia, SC OTA but a good signal of unfortunately out-of-state WRDW 12 from Augusta, GA with OTA. The Nielsen's DMA nonsense from the 1950s is NOT PERFECT! I want to live to see the day when I see R.I.P. Exclusivity Rules and R.I.P. Retransmission Consent or R.I.P. Designated Market Area trending on Social Media.

Once again the FCC needs to get rid of those stupid exclusivity rules, retransmission consent nonsense (let the NAB have a temper tandrum, they're days of always wins will soon be over), and the reform the DMA for the better. Martin Luther King, Jr. fought to end segregation in the USA, and Susan B. Antony fought to end discrimination against females when it comes to voting, unfortunately they're both gone. Both of them were True Patriots. I just had a bad day yesterday tylerSC.

In other topic, the FCC voted 3-2 to #UnlockTheBox (you heard about recent news about cable/satellite set top boxes?) and the Incentive Auction is next week. http://www.unlockthebox.com has details.

NAB's slogan says #WeAreBroadcasters? Truth is they succeeded by destroying innovation like they did to the late great Aereo two years ago at the Supreme Court, and later FilmOnX too. The NAB are dangerous, loves to stifle innovation, makes me sick...Enough is Enough cashcasters! I think the NAB are corrupted like the MPAA, RIAA, ESRB, and the USADA. I don't like corruption, period. Sorry about my rant, like people always say life is unfair. Thank you for your time and reply ASAP.

I just hate having my hopes shattered on watching Charleston, SC locals on Slingbox my friend. I hate bad news, period!

P.S. The NAB and Rick Kaplan also blocked me on Twitter after my Retransmission Consent blackout and stifling innovation protest tweets recently. The NAB are unfriendly! That's my True Feelings.

Spencer Karter

OTA Equipment: ChannelMaster 25' telescopic mast, 5' extra antenna mast, antenna rotor, AntennaCraft C490.
post #11325 of 11822 Old 03-22-2016, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Also bandwidth issues.

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #11326 of 11822 Old 03-22-2016, 07:18 PM

WLOS 5 analog on tryon peak really has a good picture now. Have not been able to see ABC in 10 years.
post #11327 of 11822 Old 03-23-2016, 12:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^I feel your frustration SpencerKarter. And I do not necessarily agree with the legal and monetary issues involved concerning cable carriage of out of market stations. I remember when WBTV used to be carried on cable in Asheville and Spartanburg, back in the 80's. And WBTV and WSOC were both on cable in Hendersonville. And on the other end, WSPA was on cable in Gastonia, Rock Hill, and even Charlotte. But then the laws and financial issues were changed. And now we are facing the FCC repack which could move some stations to a different RF frequency and possibly threaten OTA reception of distant channels. But I hope when it is all said and done, most stations in our area will not lose their current coverage area. I believe March 29th is the big auction day.

Also, as mentioned, cable/sat viewers in Northeast Georgia are deprived Georgia news from the Atlanta stations and are forced to watch the Carolina stations unless they have a good antenna. Looks like there should be an exception there.
post #11328 of 11822 Old 03-23-2016, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realoldman View Post
WLOS 5 analog on tryon peak really has a good picture now. Have not been able to see ABC in 10 years.
Maybe they made an adjustment to the transmitter. But would be nice if they could upgrade to HD, but that may be on hold due to upcoming FCC auction. As well as the proposed Paris Mtn. translator.
post #11329 of 11822 Old 03-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I remember back in the 1980s back when Charter Spartanburg was called Telecable of Spartanburg back then they used to carry the WBTV channel 3 then in Late 80s they started reduce WBTV channel 3 cbs programs by replace it with a another cable station and then they drop WBTV channel 3 i think when those retransmissions issue came out they still offer WBTV 3 on the charter Gaffney system
post #11330 of 11822 Old 03-23-2016, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Yes we still get WBTV & WSOC on Charter but only in SD. No HD.
post #11331 of 11822 Old 03-23-2016, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Cablevision here in Mitchell County NC is in the Asheville GSP market so of course they carry all of those channels, but they also carry almost all of the tri cities Tennessee networks except Fox which they dropped a couple years ago, and they also carry WBTV from Charlotte. When I used to have service with them the best thing about it was during football season you could often get numerous different games according to which cbs or fox you watched, this was extremely helpful as a lifelong Cowboys fan because often the Tennessee fox would carry the Cowboys or Redskins instead of having to be forced to watch the Panthers every week here in the Carolinas. It was also nice during March madness in the old format when all the games was on CBS and you only got to watch one of the four games going during a time slot, with 3 different CBS's you were almost sure to get at least 2 different games. Most importantly though was that this area just really don't have a lot of ties to the upstate or Charlotte areas as far as shopping there or going to these areas for anything other than special events or just passing through, so as far as local news goes our area is more relatable with the Johnson City area because that is where most people shop and spend time, plus their weather forecasts are closer to ours than places in our market. I have dish network now, but luckily I am able to get pretty much all of the Charlotte stations and NBC from Bristol with an antenna so that I can still get a little bit of each market. The funny thing is most people in this area can not receive a single channel from our own market including WLOS unless you can get one of them from a transmitter.
post #11332 of 11822 Old 03-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^^I feel your frustration SpencerKarter. And I do not necessarily agree with the legal and monetary issues involved concerning cable carriage of out of market stations. I remember when WBTV used to be carried on cable in Asheville and Spartanburg, back in the 80's. And WBTV and WSOC were both on cable in Hendersonville. And on the other end, WSPA was on cable in Gastonia, Rock Hill, and even Charlotte. But then the laws and financial issues were changed. And now we are facing the FCC repack which could move some stations to a different RF frequency and possibly threaten OTA reception of distant channels. But I hope when it is all said and done, most stations in our area will not lose their current coverage area. I believe March 29th is the big auction day.

Also, as mentioned, cable/sat viewers in Northeast Georgia are deprived Georgia news from the Atlanta stations and are forced to watch the Carolina stations unless they have a good antenna. Looks like there should be an exception there.
tylerSC,

Speaking of Georgia Orphan Counties. Here's a link to the STELAR market modification. https://dougcollins.house.gov/press-...ties-progress/

The NAB has railroaded the USA with their stupid anti-consumer and anti-choice ways like that dumb Retransmission Consent provision in the dreadful 1992 Cable Act. Still the Nielsen's DMA system is broken!

Spencer Karter

post #11333 of 11822 Old 03-24-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Maybe they made an adjustment to the transmitter. But would be nice if they could upgrade to HD, but that may be on hold due to upcoming FCC auction. As well as the proposed Paris Mtn. translator.
This is a low power for my area.
post #11334 of 11822 Old 03-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

I've got some BAD NEWS...Don't shoot the messenger!

Media General is threatened to blackout DISH Network subscribers again if a new retransmission consent agreement isn't reached on March 31st. Repeat offender? A repeat of 2013? MG owns our CBS and CW stations.

Remember back from October-November 2013 MediaGeneral blackout DISH because of outdated rules from so-called 1992 Cable Act before their controversial merger with Young Broadcasting. Yes, Retransmission Consent is a controversial topic and the blackouts by broadcasters another another controversial topic too.

I've first seen those dreadful messages while my folks watching Judge Judy on channel 7 today. :'(

Retransmission Consent reform is needed badly...Sorry NAB!

Spencer Karter

post #11335 of 11822 Old 03-28-2016, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post

Media General is threatened to blackout DISH Network subscribers again if a new retransmission consent agreement isn't reached on March 31st. Repeat offender? A repeat of 2013? MG owns our CBS and CW stations.

Remember back from October-November 2013 MediaGeneral blackout DISH because of outdated rules from so-called 1992 Cable Act before their controversial merger with Young Broadcasting. Yes, Retransmission Consent is a controversial topic and the blackouts by broadcasters another another controversial topic too.

I've first seen those dreadful messages while my folks watching Judge Judy on channel 7 today. :'(

Well fortunately WSPA has a strong signal and is easy to receive in many areas with a paper clip, and certainly a decent antenna. And also WBTV can be a secondary source for CBS in many Upstate areas. And I have no problem getting WYCW either. But I agree the retrans issue is problematic for those who do not have good reception with an antenna' or are unfamiliar with the OTA option.
post #11336 of 11822 Old 03-28-2016, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well fortunately WSPA has a strong signal and is easy to receive in many areas with a paper clip, and certainly a decent antenna. And also WBTV can be a secondary source for CBS in many Upstate areas. And I have no problem getting WYCW either. But I agree the retrans issue is problematic for those who do not have good reception with an antenna' or are unfamiliar with the OTA option.
I noticed last night while flipping channels that the 62.2 feed of WSPA is now in 16:9 widescreen (still SD of course). When did that happen?
post #11337 of 11822 Old 03-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post

Look Like Cox owners of WSOC WAXN in charlotte will have simmer issue with DISH Thursday

http://mediaweb.wsoctv.com/photo/201....0_640_360.png
post #11338 of 11822 Old 04-01-2016, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Now that everything seems to be going to apps with smart TV's, any word on when we will be getting local 13 ABC or other locals via app?
post #11339 of 11822 Old 04-01-2016, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by greerguy View Post
Now that everything seems to be going to apps with smart TV's, any word on when we will be getting local 13 ABC or other locals via app?
Charter Spectrum and Stream TV apps have all locals.
post #11340 of 11822 Old 04-02-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hear Dish Network got extension for WSPA but not a done deal yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page