Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 382 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #11431 of 11442 Old 11-27-2016, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
Over the past several weeks, I have had a lot of intermittent trouble with OTA reception for WSPA (Channel 7). Normally the reception is excellent. On only some evenings over the past few weeks, I get very frequent (5 to 10 per minute) video glitches. The audio seems OK. This past Tuesday from 8:00 to about 9:30 PM was particularly bad, then the problem went away almost completely around 9:30. Wednesday evening was fine.

Does anyone know if this is a WSPA transmission issue? I am going on the theory that it is not a problem with my reception since some of the time WSPA is fine along with the other channels I receive are also fine as usual. Also since Tuesday around 9:30 the problem went from very bad to nearly no problem at all makes it seem like a transmission issue and not a reception issue.

Thanks,
Bill
I've been having the same issues on Charter with WSPADT. I rarely watch it live, but my recordings from this past tuesday all had issues from WSPA. In fact, I've seen it on several recordings from that channel in the last few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11432 of 11442 Old 11-28-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Although VHF is more subject to noise and interference, WSPA has a good strong signal in the local Upstate SC area. Unlike WLOS which is a bit more problematic. So there could have been some temporary transmission issue with Channel 7. Hopefully it has been corrected.
post #11433 of 11442 Old 11-28-2016, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all of the replies. I have not noticed any problems over the last few days but I have not been watching much TV lately either. And, what I have seen has been strictly WSPA and has been intermittent so I am discounting any problems on my end for now.
post #11434 of 11442 Old 12-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has anyone noticed for the last few weeks WHNS (Fox) 712 on Charter is constantly switching between blurry and sharp every second? I am seeing this on all primetime programming. It is especially annoying during football as the grass is constantly changing and graphics on the screen keep flashing from blurry to sharp. I don't have an OTA setup to test if this is a Charter encoding issue or not but I can't believe no one has noticed.
post #11435 of 11442 Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Preamp signal booster

Hi, I have finally cut the cord and am using my old 40 year old antenna, after trying two new ones. I have it 30' up and can't pull in 40, 62 and especially 13. 62 and 40 comes in obsessionally with the weather.

I know very little about pre amps and boosters, but I did read if I buy one too strong it could weaken the signal coming from a strong station like channel 4 or 7. Any suggestions on a good one that will work for me is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
post #11436 of 11442 Old Today, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkster View Post
Preamp signal booster

Hi, I have finally cut the cord and am using my old 40 year old antenna, after trying two new ones. I have it 30' up and can't pull in 40, 62 and especially 13. 62 and 40 comes in obsessionally with the weather.

I know very little about pre amps and boosters, but I did read if I buy one too strong it could weaken the signal coming from a strong station like channel 4 or 7. Any suggestions on a good one that will work for me is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
After 40 years you may need to change the cable and the connectors. Meaning replace the coax cable and the matching transformer, as well as any splitters. Also, does the antenna have a good UHF section? And all of the VHF elements? What type of antenna?

As for a preamp, it may be necessary for 13, but you have to be careful of overload issues from other strong signals. And you may need an FM trap or variable attenuator. You can try a Winegard LNA200 preamp sold at Home Depot. If that is problematic, then a Channel Master 3414 distribution amp may be a better choice, or an Antennas Direct Clearstream Juice preamp.

For an an antenna, you may consider a Winegard 7694 or 7697 combo version for High VHF and UHF, or a Clearstream 4V sold at Best Buy. Among other possibilities.
post #11437 of 11442 Old Today, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Tyler, For pre-amps I use the Winegard HDA-200 which has a variable attenuator and FM trap. I am in the very north of Mecklenburg and this allows me to get all of Charlotte plus Greensboro stations.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #11438 of 11442 Old Today, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You've probably already done this but. Be sure and check tvfool.com and find out where the towers are in relation to your house.

Channel 40's tower is not located anywhere near the others, making it a bit of a problem. 13 is between Cherokee and Asheville. 62 is near Hendersonville, they share a tower with MY102.5.

Channels 7, 13 & 29 are high VHF (29 is really on channel 9 now, not sure what channels their Spartanburg and Greenwood channel are on, but they're UHF). Channel 4 is UHF and is on channel 36.
16 & 21 are on 16 & 21. 40 is on 14. UNC TV is on channels 25 & 27. 62 is on 45. And if can get it channel 32 from Toccoa it is on 24.

Here in Oconee county 62 is the problem child.
post #11439 of 11442 Old Today, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2068 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post
Has anyone noticed for the last few weeks WHNS (Fox) 712 on Charter is constantly switching between blurry and sharp every second? I am seeing this on all primetime programming. It is especially annoying during football as the grass is constantly changing and graphics on the screen keep flashing from blurry to sharp. I don't have an OTA setup to test if this is a Charter encoding issue or not but I can't believe no one has noticed.
I'm seeing exactly the same thing on Charter. I was able to check OTA as well, and it looks perfectly fine. So I thought maybe since Fox broadcasts 720p, maybe Tivo converting to 1080i was the culprit. But when I changed resolution to 720p, it was even worse. So it appears that Charter is simply compressing the heck out of Fox. I guess our only option is to call and complain. If they're short on bandwidth, they could just put some more channels on SDV.
post #11440 of 11442 Old Today, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I'm seeing exactly the same thing on Charter. I was able to check OTA as well, and it looks perfectly fine. So I thought maybe since Fox broadcasts 720p, maybe Tivo converting to 1080i was the culprit. But when I changed resolution to 720p, it was even worse. So it appears that Charter is simply compressing the heck out of Fox. I guess our only option is to call and complain. If they're short on bandwidth, they could just put some more channels on SDV.

It appears to be an issue with Fox channels in general. I've been watching FXX's Simpsons marathon on Charter and it has the same issues
post #11441 of 11442 Old Today, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
Tyler, For pre-amps I use the Winegard HDA-200 which has a variable attenuator and FM trap. I am in the very north of Mecklenburg and this allows me to get all of Charlotte plus Greensboro stations.
Sounds like that is a good amp with the adjustable gain and the FM trap. Sometimes that one gets overlooked.
post #11442 of 11442 Old Today, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
After 40 years you may need to change the cable and the connectors. Meaning replace the coax cable and the matching transformer, as well as any splitters. Also, does the antenna have a good UHF section? And all of the VHF elements? What type of antenna?

As for a preamp, it may be necessary for 13, but you have to be careful of overload issues from other strong signals. And you may need an FM trap or variable attenuator. You can try a Winegard LNA200 preamp sold at Home Depot. If that is problematic, then a Channel Master 3414 distribution amp may be a better choice, or an Antennas Direct Clearstream Juice preamp.

For an an antenna, you may consider a Winegard 7694 or 7697 combo version for High VHF and UHF, or a Clearstream 4V sold at Best Buy. Among other possibilities.
Tyler It has always been a good antenna and better than the 2 new ones I returned. Yes I have all new RG6 cable, connector. When 62 and 40 comes in it is great and all seems dependent upon the weather. Now 13 I can't get at all where I used to get on 5 but it doesn't come in now and I even went up 10 more feet. Yes I guess I need a weak one since I get strong 4,7 16, 21, 29..just missing 3. Should i get like a 10dbs preamp? All my station are with in 60 miles of Pickens 29671. Thank for the help Tyler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception