Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 386 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #11551 of 11565 Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Actually I don't think they are over compressing it, I think it is just an equipment issue. The bitrate on WHNS is still very high. I think the problem is for whatever reason the modulators they are using to combine their channels into one data stream doesn't like the FOX networks (or perhaps 720p feeds in general?)

Just wondering...how do WLOS and ESPN look? Those feeds are 720p, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11552 of 11565 Old 02-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I certainly agree the Super Bowl was a mess on Charter last night. It was just the "whole field" at the start of every play that really looked bad. The players would "jump" around and looked pixelated. Ugh. The ads seemed perfect. Whatever they are doing was there for most of the football season.
post #11553 of 11565 Old 02-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New WLOS translator

I'm in NW Greenville city, near Rutherford Road at Poinsett Hwy. While my tvfool doesn't show the new translator, I'm including it for info.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a42ca54f17d4

I used Charter, but had an unconnected little 720P 24" set for me to watch news while wife and grandkids had more important stuff ... got 4, 29, and 62 with no trouble ... 8 inch wire in the F connector.

Just out of curiosity, I scanned last week, and it finds 13. With THAT antenna, it's not watchable, but anything better would probably work.

Oh, we switched to DirecTV and I have a wireless device for that set, so this really is an academic exercise.

George

post #11554 of 11565 Old 02-14-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
I'm in NW Greenville city, near Rutherford Road at Poinsett Hwy. While my tvfool doesn't show the new translator, I'm including it for info.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a42ca54f17d4

I used Charter, but had an unconnected little 720P 24" set for me to watch news while wife and grandkids had more important stuff ... got 4, 29, and 62 with no trouble ... 8 inch wire in the F connector.

Just out of curiosity, I scanned last week, and it finds 13. With THAT antenna, it's not watchable, but anything better would probably work.

Oh, we switched to DirecTV and I have a wireless device for that set, so this really is an academic exercise.

George
Well this long awaited WLOS translator on Paris Mountain so far has proven to be a big disappointment as it is difficult to receive in many Upstate areas, and requires a whole lot of strategic work. Which is the same problem with the main 13 from Asheville. The power level is entirely too low to receive a reliable signal. I have a 4 bay UHF antenna pointed directly at Paris Mountain and it gets 16 and 29 full strength with no problem from the same location. It detects WLOS on 31 but will not decode. I may have to move the antenna to the other side of the attic, but that is more trouble than expected. But since I get the main 13, I am not really that worried about it. But getting the main 13 took enough extra work, including a separate antenna, precise distro amp, and an FM filter. The WLOS issue apparently continues unless some changes may occur after the FCC repack. But that is not necessarily expected.
post #11555 of 11565 Old 02-14-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Speaking of the FCC repack, some results are beginning to trickle in. But nothing announced for GSP so far. But RF channels above 36 will definitely have to move, which includes WYCW-62(RF45) and SCETV-49(RF43). The major lower channels may be safe to remain at their present allocations, but that is unclear until further notice and decisions are announced. I have read the FCC may possibly want to vacate RF14, which means WMYA-40 may have to move. Remains to be seen.
post #11556 of 11565 Old 02-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Well this long awaited WLOS translator on Paris Mountain so far has proven to be a big disappointment as it is difficult to receive in many Upstate areas, and requires a whole lot of strategic work. Which is the same problem with the main 13 from Asheville. The power level is entirely too low to receive a reliable signal.
We must take baby steps; I suspect improvement in power level as proof of non-interference occurs.
Quote:
I have a 4 bay UHF antenna pointed directly at Paris Mountain and it gets 16 and 29 full strength with no problem from the same location.
I get 16 too, but it is on my never-watch list and gets deprogrammed from found channels immediately after a scan.
Quote:
The WLOS issue apparently continues unless some changes may occur after the FCC repack. But that is not necessarily expected.
I don't imagine repack will make any difference; their main antenna has to be able to see across the mountains for much better performance here, and the repack doesn't include lowering the mountains. <g>
post #11557 of 11565 Old 02-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But RF channels above 36 will definitely have to move, which includes WYCW-62(RF45) and SCETV-49(RF43).
SCETV here is superb on RF9 sharing the antenna farm with WGGS and several others. We get NC ETV better than yours. WYCW carries 13 as a SD subchannel which helped when I used an antenna.

My wife is addicted to HGTV so we have to have some provider.
post #11558 of 11565 Old 02-14-2017, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We must take baby steps; I suspect improvement in power level as proof of non-interference occurs.I get 16 too, but it is on my never-watch list and gets deprogrammed from found channels immediately after a scan.I don't imagine repack will make any difference; their main antenna has to be able to see across the mountains for much better performance here, and the repack doesn't include lowering the mountains. <g>
WLOS has a tremendous height advantage from atop Mt. Pisgah. The problem is they have a directional antenna pattern that is not optimized towards Upstate SC. Wish they could change to a more omnidirectional pattern. When they were UHF-56, their signal was easier to receive in the Upstate.

WBTV from Charlotte has a strong omnidirectional signal that is easier to receive from a further distance. Comes in full strength at my location near Butler Rd.
post #11559 of 11565 Old 02-16-2017, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
We must take baby steps; I suspect improvement in power level as proof of non-interference occurs.I get 16 too, but it is on my never-watch list and gets deprogrammed from found channels immediately after a scan.I don't imagine repack will make any difference; their main antenna has to be able to see across the mountains for much better performance here, and the repack doesn't include lowering the mountains. <g>
Channel 16-2 has some rarely seen shows from the 1950s and 1960s on most weeknights and Channel 16-4 offers an old movie -- often with an old cartoon for filler - at 3 p.m. weekdays.
post #11560 of 11565 Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDevildog View Post
Channel 16-2 has some rarely seen shows from the 1950s and 1960s on most weeknights and Channel 16-4 offers an old movie -- often with an old cartoon for filler - at 3 p.m. weekdays.
16.1 is mainly religious programming and carries the new Jim Bakker program. But not quite the same without Tammy Faye. And 16.3 has Jimmy Swaggart still going strong. Good gospel music.
post #11561 of 11565 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've just started using a Hauppauge HQ-950 USB tuner with the accompanying Win TV8 software. I'm using a 4-bay bowtie with reflector and I can receive WBTV with about a 20 on the Hauppauge signal monitor meter. I can see the tuner try to lock on to some of the other Charlotte markets stations as I scan. In particular, I can see activity like signal strength of 11.5 to 12 in red but never a green "lock" like on channel 23 (WBTV) on the meter on real channels 27, 34, 39, and 47. Is there a chance that a good mast mounted preamp would let me receive these? Thanks!

I may have posted this in the wrong place but any help would be appreciated!
post #11562 of 11565 Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4cf View Post
I've just started using a Hauppauge HQ-950 USB tuner with the accompanying Win TV8 software. I'm using a 4-bay bowtie with reflector and I can receive WBTV with about a 20 on the Hauppauge signal monitor meter. I can see the tuner try to lock on to some of the other Charlotte markets stations as I scan. In particular, I can see activity like signal strength of 11.5 to 12 in red but never a green "lock" like on channel 23 (WBTV) on the meter on real channels 27, 34, 39, and 47. Is there a chance that a good mast mounted preamp would let me receive these? Thanks!

I may have posted this in the wrong place but any help would be appreciated!

Yes you should be able to receive more of these signals.

Your antenna should be pointed towards Charlotte to the northeast. And then a good preamp should indeed help with the other Charlotte signals. WBTV is the strongest which is why you receive it now. But it depends upon location. What city or county are you located? At my location near Mauldin , I get WBTV, WCNC, WJZY, and WMYT from Charlotte. (23, 22, 47. and 39). I am just a bit too far to reliably receive WSOC and WCCB (34, 30, and 27). But if you are in Spartanburg you may get these stations also.

Locally you can purchase a Winegard LNA200 preamp at Home Depot, or a RCA preamp at Lowe's. But the better preamp may be the Clearstream Juice from Antennas Direct, because it is better designed to handle overload from other strong local signals. It is pricier but may be necessary because overboosting strong signals will cause dropouts. I also use a UVSJ before the preamp too block strong local VHF signals from 7 and 9, as well as FM radio. And if you use a separate VHF antenna for 7 and 13, I would also use a FM trap. Prevents dropouts on 13.
post #11563 of 11565 Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Of course we may be informed by the end of March if some of the local and regional channels may be moving to different frequencies as a result of the FCC repack. Channels above 36 will have to move, but some of the lower channels may be changing also to help make room for others. Hopefully no major impact but VHF may be a concern. Hopefully all channels will maintain their current coverage areas, despite changes in channels or power levels. I like being able to receive Charlotte as well as GSP and AVL. Any changes will be a year or so away after the decisions are announced.
post #11564 of 11565 Old Today, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks TylerSC! My coordinates are 36.02471 and -82.238608 and local compass bearing toward WBTV is 134 degrees. I am very pleased with the 4-bay bowtie that wncBraves shared with me. I've given up on receiving W34DX (WHNS translator west of Asheville) and think I have a better shot at the main signal on Slick Rock Mtn because I'm getting partial signal on 21 in that direction.

Quote:
Yes you should be able to receive more of these signals.

Your antenna should be pointed towards Charlotte to the northeast. And then a good preamp should indeed help with the other Charlotte signals. WBTV is the strongest which is why you receive it now. But it depends upon location. What city or county are you located? At my location near Mauldin , I get WBTV, WCNC, WJZY, and WMYT from Charlotte. (23, 22, 47. and 39). I am just a bit too far to reliably receive WSOC and WCCB (34, 30, and 27). But if you are in Spartanburg you may get these stations also.

Locally you can purchase a Winegard LNA200 preamp at Home Depot, or a RCA preamp at Lowe's. But the better preamp may be the Clearstream Juice from Antennas Direct, because it is better designed to handle overload from other strong local signals. It is pricier but may be necessary because overboosting strong signals will cause dropouts. I also use a UVSJ before the preamp too block strong local VHF signals from 7 and 9, as well as FM radio. And if you use a separate VHF antenna for 7 and 13, I would also use a FM trap. Prevents dropouts on 13.
post #11565 of 11565 Old Today, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4cf View Post
Thanks TylerSC! My coordinates are 36.02471 and -82.238608 and local compass bearing toward WBTV is 134 degrees. I am very pleased with the 4-bay bowtie that wncBraves shared with me. I've given up on receiving W34DX (WHNS translator west of Asheville) and think I have a better shot at the main signal on Slick Rock Mtn because I'm getting partial signal on 21 in that direction.
I remember now you are in Mitchell County, NC. I was thinking more in terms of Upstate SC near my location. So while it may be possible to improve your reception with a preamp, it will be more dependent upon your specific location. WBTV has a strong signal, but the other stations have different antenna patterns and power levels,so the signal reception may vary. And while TV Fool may not look promising, sometimes real world results may be different. I would consult other neighbors nearby for a more accurate assessment.

At my location I get WBTV without a preamp, but I need the preamp to pull in the other Charlotte signals. For the fringe, the Kitztech 501 may be a good preamp as it has very low noise figure, adjustable gain, and overload protection, according to the specs. But the Clearstream Juice may be perhaps better for overload, but the noise figure is a bit higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception