Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 390 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #11671 of 11676 Unread 04-24-2017, 12:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Both WNTV and WGGS are on Paris Mountain and probably may share the same transmission facility. Or at least the same power supply. But perhaps they should look at a backup plan. But if you have an antenna you may also get SCETV from Greenwood channel 38. Which also has a good bit of overlap.
Greenwood is almost impossible in northern Oconee. But I can get UNC-TV from Asheville.

It just seems whenever there's bad weather WNTV is down for days at a time. I think they should use some the money from the sale to improve public TV in the Upstate.

I plan on writing them, as well as my representative in Columbia to suggest some uses for their windfall.
rtripboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11672 of 11676 Unread 04-24-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 5,496
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtripboy View Post
Greenwood is almost impossible in northern Oconee. But I can get UNC-TV from Asheville.

It just seems whenever there's bad weather WNTV is down for days at a time. I think they should use some the money from the sale to improve public TV in the Upstate.

I plan on writing them, as well as my representative in Columbia to suggest some uses for their windfall.
How good is the VHF reception in Oconee County? Some digital VHF signals can be problematic due to noise and interference,particularly WLOS. How about WSPA and WNTV? And I was hoping with this repack perhaps WLOS could alter their transmission pattern and remove their null in the Upstate. But does not appear to be the case.
tylerSC is offline  
post #11673 of 11676 Unread 04-24-2017, 07:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Adjacent to the aromatic Reedy River
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtripboy View Post
Does anyone know if SC ETV has a back-up power generator for WNTV in Greenville?

I've noticed during bad weather both WNTV and WGGS seem to go off the air at the same time. Both would get their power from Blue Ridge Electric.

If not this seems a good use for some of the $43,000,000 they got for WRET.
I am reasonably certain it's Duke Power, not the Blue Ridge Electric Co-op, that provides power to the WGGS and WNTV transmitters on Paris Mountain.
OldDevildog is offline  
 
post #11674 of 11676 Unread 04-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
How good is the VHF reception in Oconee County? Some digital VHF signals can be problematic due to noise and interference,particularly WLOS. How about WSPA and WNTV? And I was hoping with this repack perhaps WLOS could alter their transmission pattern and remove their null in the Upstate. But does not appear to be the case.
VHF reception is normally really good. In the spring and summer there's some temperature inversion stuff that happens. It can make WLOS harder to get. (this was always a problem with WLOS even when they were analog. Of course with analog you never lost the signal, it just looked bad)

WNTV is much better on VHF than they were on UHF. Until this week I've never had any problems with WSPA. Which is kind of odd as they are the most distant.

Right now I'm having some problems with all three.

Last edited by rtripboy; 04-27-2017 at 07:31 AM.
rtripboy is offline  
post #11675 of 11676 Unread 04-26-2017, 07:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDevildog View Post
I am reasonably certain it's Duke Power, not the Blue Ridge Electric Co-op, that provides power to the WGGS and WNTV transmitters on Paris Mountain.
If it is Duke Power, then they really do need a generator. Duke Power seems to have major problems in Greenville County.
rtripboy is offline  
post #11676 of 11676 Unread Today, 05:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Why is it that hockey always preempts or delays the news. Today it happened again. News didn't come on because the game went to double OT.
danderson400 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off