Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 391 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #11701 of 11725 Old 06-21-2017, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Two Stations!

I ordered a Clearstream 4V from Amazon just to return it after setting it up. It was set up right and still couldn't pull in 7 and 13 even with a preamp! I finally called tech support and found out I Didn't receive a 4V but a C4-CJM which is just UHF. They tried to sell me and a VHS add on for $30 but i told them I'll just return it.

I just need a 60 mile UHF/VHF antenna and am trying to find one here local rather than order. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11702 of 11725 Old 06-21-2017, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkster View Post
I ordered a Clearstream 4V from Amazon just to return it after setting it up. It was set up right and still couldn't pull in 7 and 13 even with a preamp! I finally called tech support and found out I Didn't receive a 4V but a C4-CJM which is just UHF. They tried to sell me and a VHS add on for $30 but i told them I'll just return it.

I just need a 60 mile UHF/VHF antenna and am trying to find one here local rather than order. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA
The Clearstream 4 antennas (there are two versions) are very good on UHF but are not tremendous on VHF. So it may not have been appropriate for your channels 7 and 13 (if those are the "real channel" and not the "virtual channel" numbers).

Go to http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508 and make a plot for your location and post it. Make sure to use a realistic number for antenna height or it defaults to 10 feet.

Also:
1. Where will the antenna go? Attic? Roof?
2. Look at your plot to see what direction the signals come from. If you stand on your roof and look in that direction do you have a clear line-of-sight? Or are there buildings and mountains between you and the towers?
More questions may follow.
post #11703 of 11725 Old 06-21-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
The Clearstream 4 antennas (there are two versions) are very good on UHF but are not tremendous on VHF. So it may not have been appropriate for your channels 7 and 13 (if those are the "real channel" and not the "virtual channel" numbers).

Go to http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508 and make a plot for your location and post it. Make sure to use a realistic number for antenna height or it defaults to 10 feet.

Also:
1. Where will the antenna go? Attic? Roof?
2. Look at your plot to see what direction the signals come from. If you stand on your roof and look in that direction do you have a clear line-of-sight? Or are there buildings and mountains between you and the towers?
More questions may follow.
I ordered a V4 which supposed to be Vhs and Uhs, but they sent me a uhf only. Jake I'm 30' high on the roof and know my coordinates and I do live in a mountainous region surrounded by trees. I think I will try this one; Channel Master CM-4228HD High VHF, UHF and HDTV Antenna. I just wish I could pick her up locally. Thanks for the help!

post #11704 of 11725 Old 06-21-2017, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I ordered a V4 which supposed to be Vhs and Uhs, but they sent me a uhf only. Jake I'm 30' high on the roof and know my coordinates and I do live in a mountainous region surrounded by trees. I think I will try this one; Channel Master CM-4228HD High VHF, UHF and HDTV Antenna. I just wish I could pick her up locally. Thanks for the help!
Try this for purchasing one "locally" - order from Home Depot, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. Whether it's shipped to your home or to the store, you could likely return it to the store for a refund. To be sure, check their websites for return policies.
Valkster likes this.

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #11705 of 11725 Old 06-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
The Channel Master CM-4228HD is a good antenna, but it is very directional.

I did a generic plot for Pickens, SC: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4329efc4408

The signals received at your location may very greatly depending on terrain, etc.

A few comments.

Channels 7 (CBS - coming from 56 degrees), 9 (PBS - coming from 83 degrees) & 13 (ABC - coming from 2 degrees) are VHF-HI channels. The CM-4228HD (like the Clearsteam 4) is not designed to receive them. It's designed for real channels 14 & higher. Both antennas have some gain for VHF-HI, but it's trial and error. You are better off installing a separate VHF-HI antenna and aiming it about 40 degrees). [Note: The "real channel" is the channel the station is broadcast on. The "virtual channel" is what the channel calls itself. Sometimes they are the same. Very often they are different.] The VHF kit for the C4 might have worked, but we don't know because you didn't try it. There are several possibilities for VHF-HI, including the Clearstream-5 and the Stellar Labs 30-2475 (MCM Part #30-2475).

The CDM-4228HD also has a narrow reception band. [It's similar to the DB-8e and you can see the pattern at https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...s/DB8E-TDS.pdf ]

I would go with something like a DB-4e, which has an antenna pattern of https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...s/DB4E-TDS.pdf - that should be sufficient for your UHF channels, and if aimed properly, might even pick up MyN (WMYA) at 129 degrees.

You are certainly free to do what you want, but I recommend making a plot and posting it so we can assist you by providing the best options for your location. It saves work in the long run.
Valkster likes this.
post #11706 of 11725 Old 06-21-2017, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Digital VHF reception can be problematic, particularly WLOS which has a directional pattern which may have a null in certain parts of the Upstate. So you will need an antenna designed for High VHF real channels 7 and 13. And the preamp may cause problems if it overpowers certain strong signals.

For antenna, perhaps consider Winegard 7697 or 7698 models designed for High VHF and UHF. And for preamp, the Clearstream Juice from Antennas Direct is very good for overload protection. Or you could try a Winegard LNA100 inline amp.

Also the Stellar Labs High VHF antenna from MCM is probably a good suggestion, but you would also need to perhaps add a 4-bay UHF antenna for the UHF channels, using a UHF/VHF signal joiner which is also sold from MCM.
Valkster likes this.
post #11707 of 11725 Old 06-21-2017, 08:53 PM

Thank you for all your help!! I am just now seeing this and have already ordered and should be in Friday. After reading all the great reviews I purchased a ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna and hope this is the one. I also will use my RCA TVPRAMP1Z Preamplifier.
post #11708 of 11725 Old 07-06-2017, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking through this thread I see some discussion earlier this year about the new WLOS translator on Paris Mountain on RF31. As I am located just outside Mauldin I have had very little luck getting WLOS reliably on the main transmitter but this translator seems promising. Does anyone have any updates on it? Is the power still very low making it unusable for many of us on the "Far side" of town? Looking at Rabbit Ears it seems to think that it might be in range for me
post #11709 of 11725 Old 07-06-2017, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbers View Post
Looking through this thread I see some discussion earlier this year about the new WLOS translator on Paris Mountain on RF31. As I am located just outside Mauldin I have had very little luck getting WLOS reliably on the main transmitter but this translator seems promising. Does anyone have any updates on it? Is the power still very low making it unusable for many of us on the "Far side" of town? Looking at Rabbit Ears it seems to think that it might be in range for me

The WLOS transmitter on Paris Mtn. is too low power to be of useful benefit. I live on the edge of Mauldin near Butler Rd. and I cannot pick it up. And I have good dedicated UHF antennas and amps I have tried in the attic. No luck whatsoever. But I can get the main 13 signal from Asheville with strategic antenna placement, proper amplification, and appropriate filters and attenuators. Without an FM trap, it will pixelate and break up. Too much preamp it will be overloaded by local strong signals. Must be a proper balance.

Some folks have lucked out with a Clearstream 2V or 4V, and an inline amp. Other locations you may need a dedicated High VHF antenna such as Stellar Labs from MCM.
post #11710 of 11725 Old 07-07-2017, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The WLOS transmitter on Paris Mtn. is too low power to be of useful benefit. I live on the edge of Mauldin near Butler Rd. and I cannot pick it up. And I have good dedicated UHF antennas and amps I have tried in the attic. No luck whatsoever. But I can get the main 13 signal from Asheville with strategic antenna placement, proper amplification, and appropriate filters and attenuators. Without an FM trap, it will pixelate and break up. Too much preamp it will be overloaded by local strong signals. Must be a proper balance.

Some folks have lucked out with a Clearstream 2V or 4V, and an inline amp. Other locations you may need a dedicated High VHF antenna such as Stellar Labs from MCM.
Thank you for the great information, I get every station other than WLOS and according to RabbitEars I may be in an odd location off Ashmore Bridge that has some physical obstacles and so I am getting all of my current stations via multipath. To get WLOS from Asheville looks like it will require getting some height which may not be worth it as I can watch all the ABC games on ESPN3 anyway....
post #11711 of 11725 Old 07-08-2017, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'm less than five miles from Paris Mountain. I can Get the WLOS translator with an amplified indoor antenna in one room facing the mountain. I can not receive it with an amplified indoor antenna in a room on the "back" side of the house. Very frustrating.
post #11712 of 11725 Old 07-11-2017, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Has anybody else noticed that WLOS is running IDs that say they have 14 translators. While wikipedia still lists 18. I which 4 have gone away.
post #11713 of 11725 Old 07-13-2017, 06:50 PM

It looks like WGTA (Channel 32.X) in Toccoa has shifted its focus back to Atlanta. There's been a Website redesign and it says it broadcasts from Lawrenceville. It still says it serves viewers from Greenville to Atlanta, but all the news/weather info appears geared to Atlanta. Not a surprise, I guess.

http://www.wgtatv.com/
post #11714 of 11725 Old 07-13-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDevildog View Post
It looks like WGTA (Channel 32.X) in Toccoa has shifted its focus back to Atlanta. There's been a Website redesign and it says it broadcasts from Lawrenceville. It still says it serves viewers from Greenville to Atlanta, but all the news/weather info appears geared to Atlanta. Not a surprise, I guess.

http://www.wgtatv.com/
The tower and transmitter remain in Toccoa. They're depending on cable and satellite to get them to houses in Atlanta.

Sadly, I don't think they'll ever do anything to serve Toccoa on a local level. This is the picture of the address they say they're broadcasting from. It's clearly just some house. The address they used to give in Toccoa was a lawyers office. I think these folks have some trouble with the truth. They also say WUGA broadcast from Lawrenceville. Not true, the studio was in Athens at UGA in the Journalism building. Master control for WUGA was in Atlanta and manned by Georgia Public TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WGTA.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	2234929  

Last edited by rtripboy; 07-15-2017 at 03:09 AM.
post #11715 of 11725 Old 07-19-2017, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is anybody having any issue with cozitv whns 21.2 charter 195

With audio not match the video as look like they move their mouth then when finish then delay of the voice.

I emailed the engineer at whns he rebooted the cozitv receiver and I still get the lip sync issue

If anybody is are you watching on charter or over the air
post #11716 of 11725 Old 07-20-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
Is anybody having any issue with cozitv whns 21.2 charter 195

With audio not match the video as look like they move their mouth then when finish then delay of the voice.

I emailed the engineer at whns he rebooted the cozitv receiver and I still get the lip sync issue

If anybody is are you watching on charter or over the air
COZI's audio and video match up over the air; They are not in sync on Charter.
post #11717 of 11725 Old 07-20-2017, 08:14 AM

^Same here COZI's audio/video is fine over the air. However, their main channel seems a bit out sync over the air.
post #11718 of 11725 Old 07-20-2017, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDevildog View Post
COZI's audio and video match up over the air; They are not in sync on Charter.
Thanks
post #11719 of 11725 Old 07-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Speaking of Cord Cutters: I heard YouTubeTV has launched in Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC. I hope it'll launched in Greenville, SC market too. What do you think of YouTube TV?

Spencer Karter

OTA Equipment: ChannelMaster 25' telescopic mast, 5' extra antenna mast, antenna rotor, AntennaCraft C490.
post #11720 of 11725 Old 08-03-2017, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
40-4 DT OTA WMYA Charge! No video, black screen.

Anyone else notice that 40.4 WMYA DT Charge! network seems to be showing
no video feed, with a black screen and no audio? I've seen it quite a few times over the last few months seems like a satellite feed issue most likely. Weather has always been fine when it happens, so it's not
rain fade or something related. Seems to drop entirely for many hours and then someone at master control finally notices it?
post #11721 of 11725 Old 08-15-2017, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This issue was mentioned in the Technical thread. But I am curious locally if Charter Spectrum is converting to all digital or is it still switched digital video? Just wondering if a tuning adapter is still necessary for the TiVo. Just like over the air, 13-WLOS is subject to noise and interference on channel 713, and often pixelates. It seems the tuning adapter may create noise and cause dropouts. Moving the coax cable a bit seems to help, but I wonder if the tuning adapter is still necessary. And it seems Charter may receive all the locals over the air and retransmit the signal, rather than fiber link. This may explain some of the interference. But not sure about that. Supposedly some of the old Time Warner systems in neighboring regions may use a fiber link, but not some of the legacy Charter systems.
post #11722 of 11725 Old 08-15-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
This issue was mentioned in the Technical thread. But I am curious locally if Charter Spectrum is converting to all digital or is it still switched digital video? Just wondering if a tuning adapter is still necessary for the TiVo. Just like over the air, 13-WLOS is subject to noise and interference on channel 713, and often pixelates. It seems the tuning adapter may create noise and cause dropouts. Moving the coax cable a bit seems to help, but I wonder if the tuning adapter is still necessary. And it seems Charter may receive all the locals over the air and retransmit the signal, rather than fiber link. This may explain some of the interference. But not sure about that. Supposedly some of the old Time Warner systems in neighboring regions may use a fiber link, but not some of the legacy Charter systems.
Unplug yours and see. Last time I checked, only a few channels in our market were SDV, like foreign language, a few sports and premiums. I keep mine connected. I have no reason to believe they've moved away from SDV.
post #11723 of 11725 Old 08-15-2017, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Greenville, SC - HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdave
Unplug yours and see. Last time I checked, only a few channels in our market were SDV, like foreign language, a few sports and premiums. I keep mine connected. I have no reason to believe they've moved away from SDV.

I think the number of SDV channels has increased a great deal over the past few months. Have you tried putting a splitter at the jack and running separate Coax cables to your TiVo and Tuning Adapter? So long as your USB cable is connected you should be fine.
post #11724 of 11725 Old 08-16-2017, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
This issue was mentioned in the Technical thread. But I am curious locally if Charter Spectrum is converting to all digital or is it still switched digital video?
Charter in the upstate is all digital. But they have been increasing the use of SDV over the last year or so. It use to be a few random SD sports channels but it seems to have moved into all sorts of channels now.
post #11725 of 11725 Old 08-16-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 972
I have a very limited package (Spectrum Choice - locals, music, 10 a la carte channels and HBO), but I just disconnected my tuning adapter and still was able to tune everything in my package. I'm going to plug it back in now ...

Tyler, if you have a Ceton or Homerun Prime, you can see which channels are SDV with a lineup tool in windows. I don't have either of those anymore, so the only way I can tell is the hard way. But I would say try to improve your signal strength some other way and leave the TA connected. Look at how many other splits you have and see if you can reduce them or put the Tivo on the lowest loss leg of your splitters. I pretty much have just a 3 way split - modem, Tivo, TA. My Moca network is on its own isolated coax system. I did this by pulling one additional line from my main junction box to my Tivo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page