Honolulu, HI - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 5447 Old 03-21-2004, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did anyone happen to watch HD Alias tonight on 906? Was there audio dropout about 25 minutes into the show? Just wondering, because we recorded it, and when we were playing it back, there was a lot of inconsistency in the audio. Sometimes it would be loud, then it would get quiet, and then it would cut out completely for nearly 10 minutes. Not sure if my DVR is defective, or if it was the original feed. Can anyone confirm if it was a bad transmission?

Thought maybe we could at least read the closed captions for the silent parts, but I guess the DVR doesn't record that data...

Also curious, does anyone else find the Discovery HD image a little soft? It's still obviously HD, but it doesn't seem to have the punch that INHD has. Maybe it was just the particular programs I was watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5447 Old 03-21-2004, 11:42 PM

I think Discovery HD usually looks better than INHD. Your mileage may vary with the original video quality of the particular program.

Eric
post #273 of 5447 Old 03-21-2004, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hounsfield,

I had the same problem with KITV-DT(OTA). I tivo'd Alias while I was watching the NCAA games from earlier today. I had two periods of no audio, the first about 20 minutes in that lasted about 10 minutes and during the last 15 minutes also no audio. I need to call KITV on Monday and talk to them about the really bad dropouts on their OTA signal, it's real bad right now.

BTW: Thumbs Down to KGMB. They aired the HD feed for the Xavier/Miss St. game even though it wasn't the HD game. Then after halftime of the Pacific/Kansas game, which was in HD, flipped from the HD broadcast to SD.
post #274 of 5447 Old 03-22-2004, 12:05 AM

Thanks Charles, guess it was the transmission. Maybe they got a bad satellite feed from ABC. Was about ready to package up the DVR to take back to Sears tomorrow!
post #275 of 5447 Old 03-22-2004, 10:29 PM

Has anyone had trouble with their HDDVR? I have had to reboot mine twice in the last two days.
How about drop-out's on OC16? It was soo bad i missed most of the post game interview.
Rick
post #276 of 5447 Old 03-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Not including HD showtime and HD HBO, can you choose between HDNet and INHD with or without DVR or is it only lumped all together?

Sean

Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. -Mark Twain
post #277 of 5447 Old 03-23-2004, 09:09 PM

For $6.95 a month you get INHD, INHD2, HDSPORTS, DISCOVERYHD, HDNET and HDNETMOVIES; plus whatever they add to that tier in the future...

Eric
post #278 of 5447 Old 03-23-2004, 11:31 PM

Did anyone else happen to record the test patterns on HDNET? I have to say that my set looks a lot better after i used the test patterns to readjust everything.
Rick
post #279 of 5447 Old 03-24-2004, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
newbie question,

I've seen the Zenith indoor HDTV antenna for $20 at buy.com. Would I only need a HD receiver to get OTA HD channels with this? What channels is it limited too? I'm in Niu Valley, so I'm not that close to the antennas and can't understand antennaweb.org at all.
post #280 of 5447 Old 03-24-2004, 10:50 AM

I'm pretty sure that in Niu Valley you won't get anything over the air. Need that "line-of-sight" to the transmitters and you're surrounded by mountains. I lived in Hahaione Valley back in the Sixties and we absolutely needed cable to get any signals.

Eric
post #281 of 5447 Old 03-24-2004, 11:12 AM

That's what I figured. Even my cable is not very clean either.
post #282 of 5447 Old 03-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Linda - ah, that explains it.

I believe that the PQ difference that we're seeing between Discovery HD and InHD is that a lot of the programs on Discovery HD are film documentaries that have been converted to HD. Whereas, a lot of the InHD stuff is actually shot on HD video cameras. At least, the times when I've noticed a PQ difference, I'm pretty sure that that's been the difference. When both are shot on HD video, they look the same to me.

Spleen

What do you mean, I can't afford it!?
post #283 of 5447 Old 03-25-2004, 03:11 AM

Woo hoo! Got my 8000HD today and fiddled around with it. I have two tivos, so 8000HD took a little getting used too. Does the RCA connection not work if the DV out is being used?
post #284 of 5447 Old 03-25-2004, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

I am a prior Tivo user with a 8000HD now and still find myself missing the search features my Tivo offered. Like typing in the name of a favorite actor and getting a list of all upcoming shows starring him.

Oh well, beggars cant be choosers....

Bryan
post #285 of 5447 Old 03-25-2004, 11:25 AM

Bryan, I miss the guide interface mostly. When I got my digital cable installed last week, he split the line so I have one dedicated to 8000HD to tv by component. The other line is split again into my two tivos and into RCA plugs on tv. This way I got three recorders hooked up. I'm worried about tivo withdrawal
post #286 of 5447 Old 03-25-2004, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

boneless - did you get the DVI out to work on the 8000HD?? I had heard that it was disabled currently.

I admit that I have a hard time dealing with the 8000HD interface - I also split my line and am running a SD Tivo at the same time and find the Tivo interface much preferable. But as Bryan says, beggars can't be choosers.

Spleen

post #287 of 5447 Old 03-25-2004, 07:49 PM

Spleen93 "boneless - did you get the DVI out to work on the 8000HD?? I had heard that it was disabled currently."

OTWC has not put the software on the system that would make the DVI work.

To those of you that have talked about the PQ of the three new HD channels that are on in a free view tell the end of the month, I can tell you why you see a difference between them and INHD and INHD2. OTWC like other MSO's has a bandwidth problem (we don't have room to add more channels) yet we have to add more new channels (per TWC). To do this we are starting to use a "statmux" ( statistical multiplexer). The "statmux" allows use to put three HD channels on one 6MHz "channel" instead of 2. The down side as some of you can see is a minor loss of PQ on these channels. But I ask you which would you rather have two new HD channels that look great or three new HD channels that almost look great?
How much loss in PQ are you seeing please let me know.

Now I have a question for everyone here in Hawaii that reads this thread. Do you want OTWC to add a HD PPV channel? What would you pay to see a new movie in HD PPV?

One more thing channel 923 HD sports is on for everyone who has a HD cable box just like 906 HD KITV.

I hope this post answers some of the question that are out there.
post #288 of 5447 Old 03-25-2004, 10:31 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks for reading HDCABLE, I don't think most people use Pay Per View so I would rather have another regular HD channel..
Can you tell us when you are getting the other network channels like ABC, FOX, UPN? checkhd.com says May 1 but that might only be for OTA.. thanks!

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #289 of 5447 Old 03-25-2004, 11:44 PM

HDCABLE, can you clarify what HD channels we can receive until the end of month, what will have to be paid for next month, and any upcoming new info on future local channels in HD. I think most people would find this helpful during this promo period.
post #290 of 5447 Old 03-25-2004, 11:48 PM

HDCABLE, can you also see if there're ways to allow a signal through HD and RCA at the same time from the 8000HD?
post #291 of 5447 Old 03-26-2004, 09:09 AM

I would like to see the networks also. Pay preview is worthless. HDESPN would be the best choice but any thing will do. CBS NBC etc.

Tim
post #292 of 5447 Old 03-26-2004, 10:42 AM

Apparently, the KGMB situation is embroiled in negotiations between Emmis Broadcasting (owner of BOTH KGMB and KHON) and TWC Corporate on the mainland. Emmis wants more $$ for carrying their signals on a national basis. It's out of Oceanic's hands at present.

Eric
post #293 of 5447 Old 03-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

hdcable - thanks for the update - I was pretty sure that the DVI wasn't working. I agree with others - HD PPV doesn't excite me but another standard HD channel would. And bad news about the multiplexer - Hopefully more bandwidth can be opened up at some point so we can get the HD channels in their full quality.

Spleen

post #294 of 5447 Old 03-26-2004, 10:58 AM

I picked up my HD DVR at the Hilo office yesterday and it works just fine. Still, it has that krappy Scientific Atlanta software, but the smoothness and speed of operation is a definite step up from my old SA DVR. They are expecting a software upgrade Real Soon Now...hopefully that will improve things, too.

Eric
post #295 of 5447 Old 03-26-2004, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the info, hdcable. Does the multiplexer issue also imply that while 923 HDSPORTS is broadcasting, that it's stealing bandwidth from INHD/INHD2, or is 923 on a separate 6MHz "channel"?

As for how much PQ loss I'm experiencing, I would say that it's a very subtle loss -- just enough that I feel like something is missing, but I'm not sure what. The picture seems a little softer to me, a little less contrasty. For me, my reference standard for HD broadcasts are the INHD self-promo commercials -- the short station-identification clips that run between programs. Those things knock my socks off!

But don't get me wrong... more channels are definitely worth the slight trade off in PQ, IMO. Too bad they can't get rid of some of the SD riffraff to make more bandwidth available for HD! I can think of about 200 SD channels I could live without!
post #296 of 5447 Old 03-26-2004, 03:29 PM

On a separate note, has anyone noticed that when you set the DVR to record a show, for example American Idol, that it starts recording a couple minutes too late, and ends a couple minutes too early? I'm new to DVRs, so maybe this is the norm, but it's really irritating to miss part of a show because OTW's clock doesn't match its programming schedule.

I realize that you can adjust the time of the recording in the settings, but I think the software is a little buggy, because sometimes it lets me do this, and other times, the changes I make fail to "stick."

Eric, is this one of the krappy SA software issues that you're referring to? Hopefully they'll address this in their upgrade!
post #297 of 5447 Old 03-26-2004, 03:32 PM

Oh yah, forgot: hdcable, would the new HD PPV channel show new movies, as in before they're released on DVD? If that were the case, then I might be interested. Otherwise, no thanks.
post #298 of 5447 Old 03-26-2004, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Do you want OTWC to add a HD PPV channel? What would you pay to see a new movie in HD PPV?

Not very interested unless they are new and shown in their original aspect ratio. I would think around the same price as regular PPV.

Quote:

Apparently, the KGMB situation is embroiled in negotiations between Emmis Broadcasting (owner of BOTH KGMB and KHON) and TWC Corporate on the mainland. Emmis wants more $$ for carrying their signals on a national basis.

Geez, that really stinks.

Quote:

They are expecting a software upgrade Real Soon Now...hopefully that will improve things, too.

I hope that includes one for the 3250HD to activate DVI and allow pass-through on the component outs.

Anyone happen to know why KHNL/KFVE are dragging their feet on getting HDTV/DTV up? Is something holding them up or is it just because they can?

Anyway, thanks again for the great updates everyone.

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #299 of 5447 Old 03-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Here's the basic breakdown on why KFVE/KHNL are not transmitting digitally.
In 1999, KHNL as well as the other Honolulu stations(KHON/KGMB/KITV/KHET/KWHE) were in the process of being evicted from transmitting on the summit of Haleakala. The stations banded together and formed a LLC to find a new location on Maui to transmit from. As a result of this, KHNL as well as KHET suggest creating a LLC for Honolulu to build a new "Central Transmitter" on Oahu for all DT stations. KFVE's site was one of the first locations submitted but was shot down by KHNL/KFVE parent Raycom.
The search goes on and on for both Maui and Oahu, in 2003 the Maui LLC minus KWHE agrees to a new site at 8000 ft on Haleakala to transmit from(KWHE will build it's own new transmitter on Maui next to KAOI/KNUQ FM transmitter near Kula) to be completed in Q1 '05.
Now it's 2004, Of the Oahu LLC group; KGMB, KHON, KITV and KWHE all have their DT signals up and have pretty much decided they no longer need to be part of the group, leaving KHNL/KFVE/KHET. Now Raycom says it will offer up KFVE's transmitter for use thereby wasting 5 years of time chasing a "location" that the others decided to do by themselves.

Or you can read Raycom's side(pdf format):
http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs...ibit_id=200303

BTW: KPXO-DT is now up. DT 41 at a mighty 1.6kw. This means that KFVE, KHNL and KHET are the only Honolulu stations not transmitting a DT signal.
post #300 of 5447 Old 03-27-2004, 01:36 AM

KHNL actually has had their Hilo DT transmitter working for nearly 2 years now. It isn't real HD, though...they just upconvert the SD signal. As for poor KHET, they were evicted from their HQ, so they are building an entirely new facility...then they'll have to beg us all for money so that they can acquire the DT equipment. That won't happen for quite a while yet.

Eric
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page