Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 5447 Old 08-05-2004, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Delar,

Depends would be the answer. If you are completely blocked by buildings to KITV's Transmitter you may have problems, mostly due to multipath.

Example, I live in the Ward area and have a building that blocks my view of Century Square where KWHE-DT and KBFD-DT transmit. I know that I'm getting a signal, my STB shows the PSID data for KWHE and a "green" light for KBFD but can watch neither, but receive KIKU which transmits from above Makakilo no prob.

Since the HDTV your getting has CableCard I'm guessing it also has a Digital OTA tuner built-in, hook up a cheap pair of rabbit ears and see what you get.
Also, since I guess that you are going to a CableCard from Oceanic KITV-HD is already on Oceanic in the clear.

Hope this helps.

Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5447 Old 08-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I remember correctly (which is rare, to be honest), the current version of CableCard only allows for one way transmission which is why they say that Pay-Per-View won't work with CableCard. The work around, of course, is by calling the company to order PPV and that the cable company on their end sends the signal to unlock the PPV digital stream. Theoretically, should work but who knows if Oceanic will support it or not?

Even if PPV is important to you, I'd say go for a TV that has CableCard. It'll give you some more options down the line (potentially going without a cable box) - the worst possible situation is that you'll have to use a cable box to order your PPV which is really no worse than having a TV that doesn't have CableCard to begin with.

Spleen

What do you mean, I can't afford it!?
post #453 of 5447 Old 08-06-2004, 12:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks Charles. I also found more info here http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packages/hawaii_offer.dsp

FREE DIRECTV SYSTEM FOR UP TO 3 ROOMS

Get FREE DIRECTV equipment for up to 3 rooms, including satellite dishes (plural...read below), up to 3 standard receivers and NO-COST standard professional installation when you subscribe to one year of any TOTAL CHOICE programming package. Sounds good. But...

The fine print...

*For DIRECTV TOTAL CHOICE programming, premium packages, seasonal sports subscriptions, International and HD programming, you will need three (3) 90-centimeter DIRECTV Dishes. WHAT?? 3 Dishes??!!

To access DIRECTV HD programming, a DIRECTV HD Receiver and HD television equipment, is required. Offer for new residential customers who purchase any DIRECTV System from a participating retailer between 7/18/04 and 10/30/04, commit to and pay for 12 consecutive months of any TOTAL CHOICE programming package ($36.99/mo. or above), PLUS subscribe to 2004 NFL SUNDAY TICKET ($249.00/retail offer price) AND the TOTAL CHOICE PLUS package ($39.99/mo.), HBO, SHOWTIME UNLIMITED, Cinemax and SPORTS Pack within 30 days of equipment purchase.

OK...so i get 3 rooms for free... BUT ... I have to subscribe to all this programing for a year... AND ...they're going to put THREE 90-CENTIMETER DISHES on my roof, making it look like a traffic control tower. AND I have to keep my cable service because local channels are NOT INCLUDED. Where do I sign??!!
post #454 of 5447 Old 08-06-2004, 01:36 AM

TJR,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but the "Special Request" is for an SA3250HD box that has the firmware upgrade that activates the firewire facilities. I am not aware of just anyone in sales or customer service being able to handle this request. AFAIK, they will only do this for the firewire requirement, not for pass-through. If you don't have a firewire-equipped HD VCR, they will not install it.

Eric
post #455 of 5447 Old 08-06-2004, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
of course, someone could let you borrow a loaner to let them hook up during installation

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #456 of 5447 Old 08-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

I received an email response from Oceanic technical support regarding ording PPV with CableCard only. It appears Oceanic will not support PPV in any way, shape or form unless you have a STB. Bummer.

Charles

I will try the rabbit ear thing. I think I have one in the bottom of my closet somewhere.

Spleen

You are correct about CableCard being one way. 2 way CableCards are 1 to 2 years away. Current sets with CableCard will not be upgradable to the next generation.

PPV actually isn't that important to me. Certainly not a deal killer. I just like to order the occassional boxing event, but since most of these are repeated on HBO and Showtime a week later (and most likely in HD !!), I'll just save my money and wait.
post #457 of 5447 Old 08-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Delar - thanks for checking with Oceanic - bummer about their policy though. Doesn't that defeat the point of having Cablecards in the first place if they're not going to support PPV access with it?!

Not that it's a big thing for me either - I don't think I've ordered a PPV event in years. And my current set doesn't have Cablecard either so it's moot point for me. Good luck with your rabbit ears!

Spleen

post #458 of 5447 Old 08-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Oceanic is mandated by the feds to support CabelCard, but there is nothing in the mandate to require PPV support. Because Oceanic (and all other cable co's) want to steer you toward renting their STB, this policy makes sense for the moment. I think this policy will change as more and more people go with CableCard.

I'd like to ask one more question if I could. I'd like to also buy a Mits D-VHS recorder for use with my CableCard set. Does anyone here record HD from Oceanic to D-VHS. Does Oceanic flag their stream? If so, are we allowed to record once only? Are there any channels we are not allowed to record? I know egcarter said he records via his STB to his JVC, which is good to hear. The only difference here would be that I won't have a STB. (Cable into tv via CableCard, then from tv to D-VHS via Firewire). I'm relatively new to all this so please correct any misstatements I may have made.

Ok, ok. That's more than one question.
post #459 of 5447 Old 08-08-2004, 07:55 PM

delar,

I don't record very often, but sometimes the stream IS flagged and it will record in 480i resolution only. It's quite weird and I haven't had time to follow up with Oceanic on it, but it seems quite haphazard, varying from one program to another on the same channel.

Eric
post #460 of 5447 Old 08-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

I'm picking up my new HD RPTV this weekend. Oceanic will be out on Monday to install and activate CableCard. It's suppose to be the first CableCard installation in Hawaii. I'll post results and any observations.
post #461 of 5447 Old 08-17-2004, 05:05 PM
TJR

Oceanic recently relocated all of the HDTV channels. Is this any indication of adding more stations soon or am I just reading into this a little more than I should?
post #462 of 5447 Old 08-20-2004, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Man, why are you complaining about TV when you live in Hawaii?

Wolfie
post #463 of 5447 Old 08-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

We have to complain about SOMETHING ...

Spleen

post #464 of 5447 Old 08-20-2004, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I brought my new RPTV home last Friday, a Mitsubishi WD-52525, and had Oceanic come over the following Monday to install CableCARD. This was going to be the first install for Hawaii. Four guys were over to install and observe......well, mostly to observe, as the installation was rather simple. Initially there was a problem with the card authorizing all the channels, but after a couple of 'hits' the card worked just fine. So I'm subscribed to HBO, Showtime and the HD tier and receive all of them without Oceanic's STB. I never order PPV and the lack of channel guide isn't a problem because I use titantv (my tv is also used as a second PC monitor). Of course I can't use a DVR with CableCARD, but I've never used one before anyway. I'll wait until the HD Tivo's with CableCARD are available.

As for reception, everything looks great. I'm a first time HD set owner and I'm just ecstatic. I've read elsewhere that bypassing the STB and having the cable direct into the TV should provide the best picture possible, but I can't make a comparison as I don't (and hopefully never will) rent an Oceanic STB. I do have a problem with pixellation on the high channels, but am not sure yet if this is a signal problem or a problem with the tv's tuner. More study is required.

As far as new channels in the lineup, I read that the parties responsible for keeping ESPN-HD from being carried on TWC systems are back at the negotiating table. Lets hope they get this thing settled before most of the football season is over.
post #465 of 5447 Old 08-21-2004, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

delar,

Great to hear that everything went fine with the CableCard install. Hope you enjoy the new toy.

Charles
post #466 of 5447 Old 08-21-2004, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Congrats on the install going well.

Spleen

post #467 of 5447 Old 08-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Big News on the OTA-DTV front:

Emmis has filed papers with the FCC to swap DTV frequencies for KGMB and KHON. Currently KGMB-DT operates on Ch. 8 and KHON-DT was transmitting on Ch. 22, Emmis is proposing KGMB-DT move to Ch. 22 and KHON-DT move to ch. 8. But the real curiosity is that KHON-DT would continue to transmit from KGMB's tower on Kapiolani Blvd and KGMB-DT would transmit from KHON's analog transmitter at Century Center. Emmis also filed a CP for the Century Center site which calls for a 1000kw Digital Transmitter to be co-located with the existing tower. Emmis also has returned the STA license for KHON-DT(22) while it was transmitting from KGMB's tower.

This may be related to FOX's new HD system. The way it works is that FOX will provide stations a "broadcast ready" signal, all the stations will have to do is send the signal to the transmitter. My thinking is that all the HD(CBS and FOX) content will come through KGMB's facility, ie. recieve KHON's regular signal but able to switch to FOX's HD feed when needed. No additional equipment at KHON would be necessary, thus saving Emmis some money from upgrading 2 stations to pass HD.

With KHON's STA license returned, that should open up contruction and testing of the transmitter for DT 22 regardless of it ends up as KHON-DT or KGMB-DT.
post #468 of 5447 Old 08-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

And I was just about to ask where KHON was in their HD upgrade with football season so close. I guess this news doesn't mean anything to those like me who cannot receive OTA digital broadcasts because of multipath problems. I wonder if they are talking to Oceanic about carrying FOX-HD broadcasts. Wishful thinking perhaps. Will probably have to wait for the 5th generation 8VSB tuners to become available in a few months.
post #469 of 5447 Old 08-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Charles - great news! More potential HD is always a good thing!

Spleen

post #470 of 5447 Old 08-25-2004, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks Charles, interesting news.

So is there any update to the situation with Emmis and Time Warner that'll finally let us Oceanic customers get CBS, and hopefully FOX when it happens, in HD?

Or the status of slow poke KHNL/KFVE's upgrade? I wish they had made it a point to be ready for the Olympics...

Thanks

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #471 of 5447 Old 08-30-2004, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

I've only been watching HD for 2 weeks now and would like to post a few observations. You all have probably addressed these tidbits in previous posts so please just allow me to voice my comments here.

So far I am happy with CableCARD. It works as advertised and I have no complaints.

Here in Waikiki I cannot get an unpixelated signal from KITV using a Radio Shack 15-1880 antenna with preamp because of multipath. There is a sweet spot in my apartment that gives me a good picture for 20 seconds before it pixelates some. Unfortunately it's quite unwatchable.

I am not entirely happy with the picture quality of the MNF games on Oceanics' KITV feed. It seems there are a lot of compression artifacts. I say this because when I compare the Oceanic signal with the OTA signal (between pixelations) the OTA PQ is quite superior. Do others feel this way? I'm going to take this RS antenna back and try something else.....maybe a Silver Seven.

On Sunday morning I sat down to enjoy my first baseball game in HD, an Oakland A's home game on INHD. Unfortunately all I got was a black screen. It seems the game was blacked out here in Hawaii. Is this true? And if so, WHY ?!?

But perhaps I complain too much. I do enjoy watching movies on the premium HD channels and the HD tier very much. Some transfers are quite stunning (i.e. Seabiscuit on HBO). It would be nice if Cinemax HD and Starz HD were available too. I'd subscribe to those tiers in a second if they were added.

Anyway, thanks for allowing me to rant.

David
post #472 of 5447 Old 08-31-2004, 12:19 AM

David,

I too have seen many of the west coast baseball games are blacked out on INHD. Gee, we're only 2500 miles away from the stadium...

Eric
post #473 of 5447 Old 08-31-2004, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by delar
]Here in Waikiki I cannot get an unpixelated signal from KITV using a Radio Shack 15-1880 antenna with preamp because of multipath. There is a sweet spot in my apartment that gives me a good picture for 20 seconds before it pixelates some. Unfortunately it's quite unwatchable.

It's actually a known problem that KITV has, I also have the pixelation problem on both my Dish 811 and Samsung T151 receivers. The 811 does a much better job at handling KITV's signal then the 151 does that makes KITV watchable. Occasionally KITV does a reboot of the encoder and it clears up for a couple of weeks, but then returns. I might give a KITV a call to give them a heads up on the hiccups again.

BTW: I use a Silver Sensor, highly recommend it.

Quote:

On Sunday morning I sat down to enjoy my first baseball game in HD, an Oakland A's home game on INHD. Unfortunately all I got was a black screen. It seems the game was blacked out here in Hawaii. Is this true? And if so, WHY ?!?

The Giants, A's, Dodgers, Angels and Mariners all claim Hawaii as part of their home team markets. Because of this, only the "Home Team" broadcasters(Fox Sports Net) are allowed to broadcast games involving these teams in Hawaii. Whether or not that they are actually available is another matter.

I have Dish and they also only offer HBO and Showtime HD, but would add Cinemax HD in a minute if it was offered. Both HBO and Showtime have too much non-movie programming for my taste. But that's just me.

Charles
post #474 of 5447 Old 08-31-2004, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Charles O
The Giants, A's, Dodgers, Angels and Mariners all claim Hawaii as part of their home team markets. Because of this, only the "Home Team" broadcasters(Fox Sports Net) are allowed to broadcast games involving these teams in Hawaii. Whether or not that they are actually available is another matter.
Charles

That's really lame. I can almost understand the Dodgers and Angels because of Fox Sports West and FSW2.....but the A's?!? It's a good thing that every MLB team doesn't claim us as part of their home team market else we'd see no baseball at all. I wonder if they all claim Alaska and Guam as their home market too (at least the Padres aren't on that list).

I also agree about the non-movie programming on HBO and SHO. Except for The Sopranos and boxing events I don't watch anything but movies on these channels. It also seems that we are getting the HBO West and SHO West feeds live here. Programs that are showing at 8pm on the west coast we are seeing at 5 pm. Am I mistaken? If this is true then I can see how a DVR would be handy.

David
post #475 of 5447 Old 08-31-2004, 05:21 PM

Hello,

I subscribe to MLB extra innings and notice even though the game is listed on the channels to be shown, it is blacked out also. I mostly just watch the Yankees and Mets so it doesn't bother me as much, but I felt kind of ripped off as Oceanic didn't say all those games would be blacked out beforehand. I mean the MLB extra innings site says games are subject to local blackout but who would've thought all those teams would claim Hawaii as their home market? I never would've bought the package had I known, since I also wanted to watch Ichiro.
post #476 of 5447 Old 08-31-2004, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

It seems the game was blacked out here in Hawaii. Is this true? And if so, WHY ?!?

I was just about to ask that. I'm tired of looking forward to seeing a game in HD only to find out it's been blacked out.

Quote:

Yeah that is pretty lame. They expect us to fly up there and catch the games? Anyway, thanks for the explanation, Charles.

So I guess there's nothing new to report regarding Emmis and Time Warner and HDTV? Just gotta wait for them to duke it out... Being an early adopter feels somewhat like being in prison...

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #477 of 5447 Old 09-02-2004, 12:37 PM

8000HD software
I just got the 8000HD Dvr because my tivo took a nose dive. I've been trying to catch up on all of the 8000HD info in the forums. Am I supposed to have the SARA software on my 8000HD instead of the Passport software? It sounds like the Passport has more features and that Time Warner is supposed be using the Passport software.

When I checked the software on my 8000HD I found that I am running an old version SARA 1.82 something if I remember correctly.
post #478 of 5447 Old 09-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

How did you check which version software your 8000HD was using? I think I vaguely remember the technique but don't recall any more. Not that it's likely to make any difference since we're hostages to whatever software that Oceanic decides to send our way ...

Spleen

post #479 of 5447 Old 09-03-2004, 02:18 AM

You have to turn off the DVR and use the buttons on the dvr itself.
Then press the + button and wait for the message light to blink. Then press the info button. On page 17 it shows the version numbers. I have 1.82.4.0

I also found this way to get into the menu with out going to the dvr in the SARA COX thread.

Quote:
LaZy man's Diagnostic mode. You can enter the diagnostic mode from the couch! Be careful with this one though, it may do other accidental things. Press and hold the pause button for about 10 seconds until the Mail light starts to flash. Press PAGE up and you will enter the diagnostic menu.

Now if there was only a way to switch between HD and SD using the remote...instead of turning it off and running the wizard by pressing guide and info on the box.
post #480 of 5447 Old 09-03-2004, 11:41 AM
KOA
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I got my 8000hd awhile back and finally got around to hooking it up. Also read the other forums and postings and talked to Oceanic tech.

We do not have latest firmware updates here in Hawaii. In fact we are quite a few behind.

In San Diego they are beta testing DVI. Quite a few people on the mainland have Archive to VCR activated. They also have pass through. We do not. I was told by tech to use PIP if you want to record to VCR, but kinda lame. We also don't have the ability NOT to record repeats. If you record all Daily Shows for example you get ALL even if it's the same show. This is also available on the mainland.

Surfgeek-You can switch between HD and SD using the remote. Go to PIP and have same channel on screen and in the PIP. The composite and Svideo will now output. This will give your screen a NTSC signal and you can now change aspect with your TV instead of the cable box. If you don't have the same channel and PIP you can't get the right sound and channel at the same time.

Also you can change aspect using the # button on cable remote with what's on screen (not PIP).

I think the PQ was a bit better with my 3150HD but recording ability makes up for that.

For anyone who is worried about burn-in; after playback of a recorded show you will get a static b&w Nintendo game screen so don't fall asleep on the couch.

Now my questions are: Why don't we have more firmware updates? How long does it take to test? Is Oceanic really actively working on it? Is the HD market just not a priority with them?

I remember awhile back (van cam time frame) the president of Oceanic was on the Mike Buck show on the radio and was saying how lucky we are here because Hawaii gets a lot of cutting edge tech stuff here first to test out before TW on the mainland. Maybe he was thinking about the Jobs channel! Oh well.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page