Honolulu, HI - HDTV - Page 180 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5371 of 5440 Old 08-14-2011, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just upgraded my tv to a 55" Samsung 6050 series from Costco. Previously I only paid for basic cable channels 2-13 since I hardly watch and use my computer more. It could pickup a few scattered value package channels like ESPN news or TNT, etc... It was a nice to have them but nothing special. I plugged just the coaxial line in and let the Sammy autoscan the channels at setup. Now I can get analog, digital, and HD local channels, etc. The numbering is weird in that there's two numbers separated by a dash now. They also don't correspond to the Oceanic cable guide now so I can't remember so many channels unlike before. What happened? Is there a guide that I can use for the channel lineup?

OT, the tv has an optical out. So can I use a PS3 or Xbox 360 with HDMI to tv and run the optical out to a receiver and still get surround sound? Or do I run the optical directly from the PS3/Xbox to the receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5372 of 5440 Old 08-14-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneless6220 View Post

OT, the tv has an optical out. So can I use a PS3 or Xbox 360 with HDMI to tv and run the optical out to a receiver and still get surround sound? Or do I run the optical directly from the PS3/Xbox to the receiver?

Probably you can only get 2-channel sound if you send it through the TV, since most TVs will only do Dolby Digital 5.1 when the signal comes from their own digital tuner. So if possible, you want to run the optical directly from the game console to your receiver. (Unless your receiver has an HDMI input, in which case that might be better to use.)

However, "surround sound" can refer to Dolby ProLogic 5.1 sound derived from a 2-channel source, and I think you could get that through your TV from a game console signal. It can sound very good.

Greg Lee
post #5373 of 5440 Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Probably you can only get 2-channel sound if you send it through the TV, since most TVs will only do Dolby Digital 5.1 when the signal comes from their own digital tuner. So if possible, you want to run the optical directly from the game console to your receiver. (Unless your receiver has an HDMI input, in which case that might be better to use.)

However, "surround sound" can refer to Dolby ProLogic 5.1 sound derived from a 2-channel source, and I think you could get that through your TV from a game console signal. It can sound very good.

I'm not sure what 2-channel means. I assume 5.1 is still surround not left and right sides of the room. So I should use HDMI directly into the receiver and then HDMI into the tv? This would eliminate the need for optical?

Also, I did some reading earlier on this thread and realize it's QAM that is giving me the channels. Is there a channel lineup for this? I have two series3 HD tivos. Does that mean in order to get info on my channels, I need to get cablecards? Each tivo has dual tuners so I would need a total of 4 cablecards to maximize their usage?
post #5374 of 5440 Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure what 2-channel means. I assume 5.1 is still surround not left and right sides of the room. So I should use HDMI directly into the receiver and then HDMI into the tv? This would eliminate the need for optical?

Probably HDMI to your receiver and then from the receiver to the TV is your best bet. But for that to work, the receiver has to process digital sound from its HDMI input (I have an old Pioneer receiver that doesn't do that), and your cable box has to be set to output Dolby Digital (DD) sound.

Surround sound can either be matrixed or discrete. Matrixed surround is not as good -- it has been around a long time. It uses only two discrete channels, so it can be carried over two wires, and the other surround channels are encoded within those two. DD 5.1 (digital) sound is available on some digital TV channels and has 6 discrete channels. DD 5.1 can be carried over HDMI or an optical connection, but not over a two-wire connection.

I have satellite TV not cable, so I can't help with your detailed questions about cable.

Greg Lee
post #5375 of 5440 Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalmanavs View Post

Anyone?

it's never been a secret? always posted on this page, and updated when they switch around the channel assignments.

boneless, not sure if this is what youre asking about, but hopefully it is.

also, i dont know if any or all tv's have a pass-through on the optical out. meaning connecting the gaming device/or video player to the tv, then sending the optical cable to the receiver would output any audio. i think the optical audio is for the digital (QAM) tuner. So when you watch those digital broadcasts, you can output the full surround sound. These are awesome when watching sports broadcasts. I found that this is the way you need to watch them. It can get very loud and muddled when watching football games in stereo on the SD simulcast optimized for surround sound.

im curious to know what areas of Oahu are being offered Hawaiian Telcom's tv service. I like their lineup and price point. The website has all the information to get me interested, but nothing about availability. I dont watch too much primetime tv, but glued to the set during football season. When I'm not watching tv I could see some pretty blazing internet speeds. This seems to fit my needs...
post #5376 of 5440 Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by higuy View Post

it's never been a secret? always posted on this page, and updated when they switch around the channel assignments.

boneless, not sure if this is what youre asking about, but hopefully it is.

also, i dont know if any or all tv's have a pass-through on the optical out. meaning connecting the gaming device/or video player to the tv, then sending the optical cable to the receiver would output any audio. i think the optical audio is for the digital (QAM) tuner. So when you watch those digital broadcasts, you can output the full surround sound. These are awesome when watching sports broadcasts. I found that this is the way you need to watch them. It can get very loud and muddled when watching football games in stereo on the SD simulcast optimized for surround sound.

im curious to know what areas of Oahu are being offered Hawaiian Telcom's tv service. I like their lineup and price point. The website has all the information to get me interested, but nothing about availability. I dont watch too much primetime tv, but glued to the set during football season. When I'm not watching tv I could see some pretty blazing internet speeds. This seems to fit my needs...

I have to setup the Sony receiver I picked up from Costco model STRDH720hp. It has upscaling so I'm wondering if it'll help the 480i channels at all. I was planning on going HDMI -> receiver -> Samsung D6050. I love this tv, also from Costco. If I read correctly, tv's upscale images already and this one makes some shows very clear. But I wanted to see if the Sony still helps.

BTW, anyone know what happened to Scenic Hawaii channel on QAM? I had it about 2 wks ago when I first got the tv, but can't get it now. And I saw the QAM lineup you have with the link. I just had to manually write down which channels I get on QAM and identify it against Oceanic's lineup since that's only a partial list for me.
post #5377 of 5440 Old 08-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Hadn't updated this post in years.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2424
post #5378 of 5440 Old 08-27-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post

Hadn't updated this post in years.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2424

Thanks. I spent some time and mapped out what I receive. It's pretty similar to yours and when I have time, I'll post an update.

I just got a cablecard for my HD tivo and picked it up at 5pm today. As luck would have it, the cablecard activation office closed at 4:30 and reopens monday.
post #5379 of 5440 Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 PM

Does anyone have info of any hardware equipment upgrade for Oceanic Cable. New DVR boxes?
post #5380 of 5440 Old 09-05-2011, 12:32 PM

Any ideas how to mount the 2 big directv dishes other than penetrating the roof? Roofers say this voids workmanship warranty along with manufacturers warranty. I'm guessing some type of bracket on the eaves but most I see on the internet are for the smaller sized dishes. No LOS from the ground. Not so excited about a pole mount. DTV is coming out for a relocate but I would like to know some alternatives before they tell me the roof is the only way.
post #5381 of 5440 Old 09-05-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808vikingsfan View Post

Any ideas how to mount the 2 big directv dishes other than penetrating the roof?

No -- I have both my DirecTV dishes on tripods which are screwed down, penetrating my roof. DirecTV did it that way because that's what I asked them to do. I never had any warranties from my roofers, so no problem there, for me. I've never had any leaks, since 10/2007 when the dishes were installed. You probably don't need 2 big (1.5m) dishes -- just one will do for everything except for a few Sonic Tap music channels.

Possibly you could get more information about dish mounting at the dbstalk forum on DirecTV installation issues: http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=113

Greg Lee
post #5382 of 5440 Old 09-07-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:

No -- I have both my DirecTV dishes on tripods which are screwed down, penetrating my roof. DirecTV did it that way because that's what I asked them to do. I never had any warranties from my roofers, so no problem there, for me. I've never had any leaks, since 10/2007 when the dishes were installed. You probably don't need 2 big (1.5m) dishes -- just one will do for everything except for a few Sonic Tap music channels.

Possibly you could get more information about dish mounting at the dbstalk forum on DirecTV installation issues: http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=113

Thanks Greg.

Yeah, I had both my dishes mounted on my roof but I just re-roofed my house and don't want to void the warranty.

I had DTV come out today. With the size of the dishes, DTV gives you only two choices, roof or ground. I had him mount it on the ground. I thought I didn't have a clear LOS but I guess my smartphone compass is not very accurate. Using my compass, it seems DTV has it pointing to an azimuth around 118 (should be 93 i believe). The tech dug a hole and set a pole in a matter of an hour. Had me surfing channels a lot quicker than I had anticipated. Oh yeah, you were right about just needing one dish. It's funny because when DTV came out a few weeks ago to install the whole home network, the guy told me I needed two dishes for the Sunday Ticket.
post #5383 of 5440 Old 09-22-2011, 11:43 PM

FYI. Just got an email from HT. They will be carrying the OCSPORTS channel, and UH PPV.

http://www.hawaiiantel.com/tv/TV/Wha...7/Default.aspx
post #5384 of 5440 Old 10-15-2011, 01:43 PM

Hawaiian Tel tv is a bit of a unicorn, but on the surface, the HD offerings seem decent. I wonder if NFL Network is an add-on or part of the base package. If it's included, I'd be tempted to switch even though it's not significantly cheaper than OTW. http://www.hawaiiantel.com/tv/TV/Wha...7/Default.aspx
post #5385 of 5440 Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Are you still using Hawaiian Tel's service? Has the service or your opions changed since you first posted? I just word that my neighborhood can receive HT's tv service and they're throwing a few incentives in. Free dvr for life and gift card. I'm seriously considering it, but wanted a little more feedback. Plus, I'm going to wait until the whole strike thing is settled before moving on anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808vikingsfan View Post

I am currently trying out Hawaiian Tel's digital TV service. The deal is, I get DSL and TV service in exchange for filling out a weekly or monthly survey. I currently have my directv account suspended while I give this a test drive. From what I understand, the service is the same as ATT's digital TV service on the mainland.

What I like about it so far:

No lag when changing channels. With directv, I sometimes had to wait 5+ seconds between the time I press the channel # to when the channel actually changes. The way the guy explained it to me, it's IPTV so everythings fast.

Box set is small and doesn't get that hot.

Can use phone line or existing coax to setup. (not fiber)

Sharing the DVR with the other tuners is so convenient. Being able to watch or record from any TV is something I'll have to setup if I go back to Directv.

Don't have to worry about the weather for reception.

What I don't like so far:

Out of all your set boxes, you can only watch/record 2 SD and 2 HD channles. This means, if you're watching something in HD, and also recording another channel in HD, you can't watch HD on the other set boxes. It'll give you a message to interrupt another tv or cancel a recording.

Scheduling series recordings has glitches. For some reason, all my scheduled series recordings stopped on 3/23. Don't know why. Had to setup all over again. Who knows how long before I find out it stopped again.

HD quality is not as good as Directv. Compression artifact (i believe) is more visible and picture breakup and freezing happens occasionally (no issues with directv).

Sound. Whether it's from the tv speakers or thru optical. It just doesn't seem full and crisp. Could just be perception.

It takes 22 clicks on the remote to stumble through the menu and turn on CC. With directv, 3.

I haven't really tried the DSL yet since I still have my RR. I did try testing the download speed wired and it's almost the same as what I get with RR (8-10Mbps). I'm not sure what service they're letting me try though. Probably their most expensive package. The modem is also a 4 port (actually 3 since the dvr uses a port) wireless router (G not N).

The main reason I got Directv was because of the NFL Ticket. With the lockout pending, I could go a few years without it. Besides, Hawaiian Tel does carry the NFLC and I'm hoping they'll carry the Redzone channel too (att carries it).

post #5386 of 5440 Old 11-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller555 View Post

Are you still using Hawaiian Tel's service? Has the service or your opions changed since you first posted? I just word that my neighborhood can receive HT's tv service and they're throwing a few incentives in. Free dvr for life and gift card. I'm seriously considering it, but wanted a little more feedback. Plus, I'm going to wait until the whole strike thing is settled before moving on anything.

I would strongly suggest holding off on the HawaiianTel service. I switched from Oceanic to HawaiianTel two weeks ago. For the last three days the dvr feature has been malfunctioning and HawaiianTel has no idea when it will be fixed.

If HawaiianTel ever gets the system working properly it might be a good alternative to Oceanic. But right now I'd advise people to hold off.
post #5387 of 5440 Old 11-16-2011, 03:18 PM

Thanks. I got to see the service last night at an event that Hawn Tel hosted in Pearl City. The picture was fine, but I thought that the channel changes lagged a bit. While I signed up for an appointment, I'll be canceling it after thinking about it overnight. I have a good sized investment in my Tivo and I'd hate to have to shelve it when it is working perfectly fine. I saw no cost advantage to the Hawn Tel service since I'd have to rent two additional STBs for my other tvs.

There may be cost advantages for those who are leasing their dvr and other boxes, but I don't have those costs, so the cost/benefit doesn't quite work out right now.

That's a big problem since the DVR is their biggest selling point, but isn't functioning correctly. Thanks.
post #5388 of 5440 Old 12-27-2011, 05:35 PM

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have Oceanic basic cable 13channels,etc... I have a direct cable into my Samsung tv and using the QAM tuner in it. I get most of the normal cable package in addition to what I pay for because it seems to be a glitch on their side that's passing the digital package to my house, except no HD other than the OTA local channels. The funny thing some channels come and go and some change channel/frequency so I re-scan and pick it up again. I even has syfy once and while watching it the signal cut out.

Is this a continuous feed from Oceanic except some signals are weak? Or can I use a booster to increase the amount of channels I receive if they are weak? I tried this but it doesn't really seem to help despite positive reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
post #5389 of 5440 Old 12-28-2011, 12:16 AM

Anyone do a speed test on their internet in the last week? Looks like we got a christmas gift. Now if they could increase the up it would be all good...

New to the game. Here to learn.
Aloha
post #5390 of 5440 Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have Oceanic basic cable 13channels,etc... I have a direct cable into my Samsung tv and using the QAM tuner in it. I get most of the normal cable package in addition to what I pay for because it seems to be a glitch on their side that's passing the digital package to my house, except no HD other than the OTA local channels. The funny thing some channels come and go and some change channel/frequency so I re-scan and pick it up again. I even has syfy once and while watching it the signal cut out.

Is this a continuous feed from Oceanic except some signals are weak? Or can I use a booster to increase the amount of channels I receive if they are weak? I tried this but it doesn't really seem to help despite positive reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Sounds like SDV....if that's the case, enjoy what you get.
post #5391 of 5440 Old 12-29-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

Sounds like SDV....if that's the case, enjoy what you get.

That's a bummer. i was hoping to at least squeeze out Syfy since that seems to be the only missing one that I'd really want.

Is there anything on the market for PC or otherwise that replicates the tuner in a Samsung smartTV? I tried to configure a windows 7 MCE and that works pretty well as a DVR. The remote I have is horrible, or there's lag in the PC when switching channels. Plus it doesn't receive all the same channels as the tv.
post #5392 of 5440 Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a direct cable into my Samsung tv and using the QAM tuner in it. I get most of the normal cable package in addition to what I pay for because it seems to be a glitch on their side that's passing the digital package to my house, except no HD other than the OTA local channels.

I believe I recall reading that cable companies are prohibited from blocking local channels on their cable, so my guess is that that is no glitch. Oceanic is obligated to pass you the local channels, but nothing else, so whatever else you can see on their cable, and which channel it's on, is an accident and will vary from time to time. If you want regular and convenient access, Oceanic would like you to pay for it.

Greg Lee
post #5393 of 5440 Old 01-02-2012, 12:02 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I believe I recall reading that cable companies are prohibited from blocking local channels on their cable, so my guess is that that is no glitch. Oceanic is obligated to pass you the local channels, but nothing else, so whatever else you can see on their cable, and which channel it's on, is an accident and will vary from time to time. If you want regular and convenient access, Oceanic would like you to pay for it.

FCC is considering a new rule that allows CATV systems that have gone "all digital" to encrypt all programming, including locals. Supposedly Cablevision in NYC has an FCC waiver already to do this, and other cablecos (IIRC Comcast) are talking about it. I guess they would provide one cable box per account, and additional would have to be rented. Has Oceanic made any noises about this?

scott s.
post #5394 of 5440 Old 01-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Well, my free QAM cable stations has taken a hit. This week I lost digital ESPN 1+2, Spike, TBS, and a few others. I'm down to 1/3rd of the normal cable lineup and local HD which is still better than before but the loss of ESPN will be hard.

It's bittersweet, but I'll live...until Monday Night Football next year.

BTW, the channels lost were in the 50-1 to 50-11 QAM range. And those were stable since I got my tv in August, and were posted previously from years ago. Something's up at Oceanic.
post #5395 of 5440 Old 02-29-2012, 12:43 PM

Seems like KFVE has been added to the DirecTV HD Lineup.
Were any other new channels added today?
post #5396 of 5440 Old 03-01-2012, 12:28 PM

I've lost most of my QAM digital channels now. Only HD locals and a few others like OC Sports, Ion, and occasional random channels that change frequency everyday needing a channel scan. I'm building a HTPC so hopefully that should cover what's missing.
post #5397 of 5440 Old 03-06-2012, 01:34 PM

Just wondering if it's possible to get OC Sports OTA on DirecTV in HD.
Has anyone tried to use the AM-21 to possibly access OC Sports on DirecTV?
post #5398 of 5440 Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 PM

Oceanic changed most of their QAM channels today...

-Mike
post #5399 of 5440 Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 PM

My digital tv has been working fine until Oceanic changed QAM as Mike-50 reports. I have rescanned with two different devices but for some reason I dont get anything in thr lower range of 47 49 etc for those local tv stations.

does anyone else have problems since the new QAMs in early April?
post #5400 of 5440 Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Liked: 11
I'm able to pick up the 4 major networks on my Samsung in the 47 - 49 range. My Magnavox recorder can pick them up as well.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page