Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 5438 Old 12-27-2003, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by spleen93
I know for a fact that we can get DirecTV HDTV here in Hawaii since I've seen HDNet off of DirecTV at Audio Lab on Ala Moana (running off a DLP FP system and on a 100 inch screen ... sweet!). BTW, if any of you haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself to go visit this store ... a fantastic setup. Tom, the owner, is very nice and will do a demo for you. (no financial affiliation, if anybody's wondering)

This has also been confirmed by a DirecTV installer here in Hawaii that we can pick up the HDTV signal. Of course, we can't get about 1/3 of the other DirecTV channels but we have the HDTV ones.

Styled1 - that would be great if we could get KGMB to show the Super Bowl!

Charles - hmmmm .... easy return policy ... (evil Spleen starts thinking ... )

Spleen

I have also seen the set up at Audio Lab with the DirectTV set up. It was very nice.
I wish we had more HD on cable.
I wonder when we are going to get the DVR8000HD? I see some of the other TWC areas been getting it.

BTW I am unable to receive anything from my SA3250 on the local radio station and weather channels. Is this normal? I got one of the early 3250's so I don't know if it is the box?

Aloha

HT rookie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 5438 Old 12-27-2003, 11:59 AM

Obviously, the Superbowl (and the new commercials) is one of the top events for HD, but anyone remember ABC last year? The sound was out of sync and none of the extra graphics were shown in HD. They didn't even show most of the "replays" over the HD signal, so all we got was Madden's commentary. It was one of those events that made you want to switch to the SD version, just to get the "whole" story. As for the commercials, most of them weren't in HD either.

Can't help you on the SA3250, still using my 3100HD and it gets the local radio/noaa and Music Choice channels.
post #63 of 5438 Old 12-27-2003, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Directv's HD service is available in Hawaii using a Channel Master "Gain Master" dish, it's 36"x 28". The problem with Directv is that it's HD channels depending on package is on all three locations (101, 110 and 119).

Dish Network's HD Channels are now all at 110. I have Dish but SD currently, I'm going to upgrade but the new 811 receiver is in short supply. Dish has temporarily suspended it's $199 special on the 811 in favor of it's "HD in box", which is either a 40" RPTV or 34" CRT plus the 811 receiver for $999.

Just for reference, here the current status of Honolulu DTV stations:
KHON(FOX) DT 22- 480i 4:3. Transmitting from KGMB's tower on Kapiolani.
KITV(ABC) DT 40- 720p 16:9. Has a CP in with the FCC for an upgraded transmitter on top of the Ala Moana Hotel.
KGMB(CBS) DT 8- 1080i 16:9. Needs Digital Recorders to air primetime programming.
KWHE DT 31- 480i 4:3. Transmits from Century Square(Bishop & Beretania).
KIKU DT 19- 480i 4:3. Transmits on Palehua Ridge(Above Makakilo), Mono Sound.
KBFD DT 33. Titantv.com list them as "live" but so far can't confirm that they actually are transmitting.
KFVE and KHNL. Claim that they can't upgrade either transmitter for DT. Seeking new TL for both. Latest target date 2005(sarcasm: or until the FCC gets on Raycom's ass).
KHET. Building new broadcast facility next to Hard Rock Cafe on Kalakaua, to be completed in 2005(earliest).
KALO, KWBN and KPXO. Who knows, who really cares.
post #64 of 5438 Old 12-27-2003, 10:44 PM

I finally found others that have the same problems I do. I have had Oceanics digital cable and the 3100 HDTV box from oceanic from the start. almost 2 years. I have been wanting to talk to others here in Hawaii that have HDTV / Oceanic issue but could not find any one. I looked here in the forums before but never found any thing. I am glad I found this thread. I see others have called and talk to KGMB and Oceanic about the HDTV problem. I called them a few times and complained. It seams like in the last few months are choices for HDTV programing have grown. DirecTV and Dish Network are both offering HDTV and if oceanic don't get there act together I think I am going to switch. I am a big sports fan and would love to be able to get DirecTV's sports packages but as of now I don't think it is available in Hawaii. Dish Network offers more programing in HD so I will have to wait and see if DirecTV is going to get the sports packages in Hawaii any time soon. (please be before football season next year) I live in Millilani Mauka, the ota signals come in pretty good but i only kept the receiver and antenna from circuit city for about a week. Did not think the few shows that i got in HD where worth the $400 price tag for the receiver. I will have to stick with oceanic for a little while longer and see what happens with the satellite providers. Why is that oceanic has so few digital channels. Out of all the channels they provide only about 1/4 of them are in digital format and the are the channels no one watches or at least in my house. I expected at least half would be digital if not all of them when I first got digital cable. Boy was I depressed when I saw the channel line up. Digital channels come in so much better. I have a Epson TW100 HDTV projector and a 92 inch wide screen on my wall. Want to talk about seeing noise in analog TV. I think oceanic injects noise just to irritate us with big screens, But the digital discover channels and HDTV looks awesome. Has any one else noticed some drop outs on HDHBO. I was watching a movie a few months ago and it was dropping out like every 10 minutes. Driving me nuts. My roommate had to restrain me from throwing the 3100 across the room. (LOL)
Well I hope we can get more HDTV programing this next year and I can't wait to see the Patriots in HDTV beat up on someone during the super bowl.
Tim

Go Patriots!!
post #65 of 5438 Old 12-28-2003, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

freek - the music channels/weather radio/local radio stations on the 3250 are carried on the analog stereo channels and are not fed through the digital coax output. If you want to listen to them, you'll need to hook up a good old pair of RCA audio cables to your 3250.

Charles - thanks for the update!

pendlet - welcome to the club! The Epson TW100's a nice projector. Was almost thinking of that myself ...

Spleen

What do you mean, I can't afford it!?
post #66 of 5438 Old 12-28-2003, 11:06 PM

Is anyone going call Oceanic about the 8000HD box?
I was thinking of calling and offering my services for beta testing.
Maybe if we all call they might get us the boxes a little faster.I am sick of calling an being told it is not feasible to offer more HD because of a lack of customers that want the service.Let all let them know how MUCH WE WANT the SERVICE!

Styled1
post #67 of 5438 Old 12-30-2003, 10:55 PM

I wouldn't mind getting one of the 8000HD boxes my self. Look's real nice and really like the fact that it has a DVI port. I would want one with all the goodies. DVI, Fire Wire and the 160 GB drive. Go real nice with the rest of my toys. Well let me know if you get any response from Oceanic.

Tim
post #68 of 5438 Old 12-30-2003, 11:27 PM

Here is a response I got from Oceanic regarding some HD questions.

Aloha,

Thank you for your recent inquiry. I apologize for the incorrect
information I gave you earlier. I was not advised that Scientific
Atlanta had overcome the recording capacity issue and had built a new HD
recorder cable box. I was also not advised that we would be carrying
it.

We will be getting the SA8000DVR, however we do not know when we will
receive the box at this time. These issues are decided by our corporate
office.

There is no mandate that major stations broadcast an HD signal. The FCC
mandate is that all stations broadcast a Digital signal by December 31st
2006. Digital does not necessarily mean HD though. Another option for
the network is to multicast (broadcast several standard definition
broadcasts). Here is a link to the information provided by the FCC:

At this time there is no plan to utilize the DVI ports on the HD cable
boxes.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail us again
or contact our Customer Care Department at 625-8100. When replying to
this e-mail, please include this message as well as all previous
correspondence regarding this issue.

Thank you,
nicks
Oceanic Time Warner Cable

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

I was told by a CSR that the HD DVR's would be available at the end of
2003?
Last time we checked they said it should be any time now?? How would I
be
able to use a HD box with a DVR? Would we have to use say a SA3250 with
the
SA8000DVR? Can the non-HD DVR stretch the non HD picture into a 16:9 HD
monitor? I thought that we had the most up to date system here in
Hawaii. I
wonder why so many of the other TWC systems have the SA8000HD DVR's out
already. When is the deadline for all the major stations to broadcast a
HD
signal? I know that if you have a good reception you can get the HD
signal
over the air. Also is there any word on when the DVI ports will be up on
the
SA3250 box?

Mahalo

----- Original Message -----
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2003 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: Help Desk Contact Us

Aloha,

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Currently there are no plans for an
HD DVR. The technologies are simply not at a point where it would be
possible to record more than an hour or two of HD programming.

We are working on the possibility of adding the HD ESPN network and
Discovery HD. However there are not many other channels currently
broadcasting in HD format. Currently only KITV is broadcasting an HDTV
signal. Once the other stations start broadcasting in HDTV, they will be
added.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail us again
or contact our Customer Care Department at 625-8100. When replying to
this e-mail, please include this message as well as all previous
correspondence regarding this issue.

Thank you,
nicks
Oceanic Time Warner Cable

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

>----------
>From: ]
>Creation time: Saturday, December 27, 2003 10:40:29 AM
>To:
>Subject: Help Desk Contact Us
>Auto forwarded by a Rule
>
Contact Us
:

City: Mililani
Zip Code: 96789
Account Number:
Comment: When do you expect more HD channels to be available and is the
new explorer 8000HD (dvr) ready yet? Do you know when?
Please e-mail back.
Aloha

HT rookie.
post #69 of 5438 Old 12-31-2003, 01:27 AM

Oceanic TW has the new HD DVR's are ON ORDER from Scientific Atlanta. They are just waiting for them to arrive. Keep your shirts on, there's nothing more that can be done!

They are hoping to get them Real Soon Now. It's all up to SA's ability to produce and ship them!

Eric
post #70 of 5438 Old 12-31-2003, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

The 8000DVR box would be a replacement for the 3250 or the 3100. You wouldn't need both to view and record HD signals. I'd like to see what the interface for the 8000DVR looks like ... but it'd be hard to give up my Tivo since I'm so attached to the GUI ...

Spleen

post #71 of 5438 Old 12-31-2003, 08:48 PM

With the way oceanic acts about its HDTV Customers I am surprised with the fact they are going to even get this box. They probably only have about 20 customers that have the ability to watch HDTV and half of them are on this site. This may be the turn around for oceanic and we might even see a few more channels that are HD. I hope they get the DVI working. That is the main reason that I want one. I also like the DVR function I guess. Now I wonder if oceanic ordered enough or am I going to have to get my name put on a waiting list. Maybe if we do start a waiting list for the new box oceanic will see how much interest there is with their HD and they might start to move a little faster. Hopefully we'll see them soon.

Tim
post #72 of 5438 Old 01-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Frankly, I would prefer them getting the HD DVR out before even worrying about getting the DVI port to work. I figure there has to be an established base of at least a few hundred HDTV users so far. Still, it's not much considering the number of subscribers total.

Spleen

post #73 of 5438 Old 01-01-2004, 03:00 PM

I happen to know how many of the HD DVR's Oceanic has on order (it's more than a few hundred)...I (and they) just wonder how many will actually get shipped to them in the new future! I promise that I will let you all know when they are available right here. Oceanic now intends to promote HDTV...just like they promoted the DVR before. I have already seen the generic Time Warner High Definition blurb a couple of times on the air in the past couple of weeks.

They are really just waiting for there to be more HD content on the system. They have already allocated lots of channels for HD...they are as concerned as we about the Honolulu stations taking their sweet time getting their HD act together. Certain other programming is definitely coming very soon...waiting on some final OK's from corporate bigwigs back East.

Eric
post #74 of 5438 Old 01-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is anyone experiencing pixelization and or audio/picture stutter on KITV OTA signal be it HDTV or SDT on chanel 40?
post #75 of 5438 Old 01-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Yep, I had the same problem with KITV-DT yesterday while watching the Rose Bowl. It seem to clear up though while somewhat watching the Orange Bowl. I think it's weather related, I had a real hard time getting KGMB-DT and KIKU-DT yesterday as well.
post #76 of 5438 Old 01-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Charles, what are you running to get them OTA signals? Does KGMB-DT transmit any 480p/720p/1080i programs?

thanks in advance
post #77 of 5438 Old 01-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Eric - looking forward to you letting us know when they become available!

Spleen

post #78 of 5438 Old 01-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

pochoboy,
I use a Samsung SIR-T151 OTA HD Receiver connected to a Silver Sensor antenna. KGMB is DT 8 and the S.S. is an indoor UHF antenna but it works well. I receive usually KHON-DT 22, KITV-DT 40, KGMB-DT 8 and KIKU-DT 19. Rarely do I receive KWHE-DT 31 and have never received KBFD-DT 33.

KGMB-DT can only pass live HD programming, they need to install a digital recorder to air primetime programming like CSI, Cold Case, etc.. KGMB-DT will have the Broncos/Colts game on Sunday in HD(1080i).

Hope this helps.

Charles
post #79 of 5438 Old 01-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Charles,
what parts in Honolulu are you? I've got a HTPC with one of those HDTV card. Had a SS but reception was less that desirable, I got an outdoor antennae from HD, boy, it's very unsightly, but who cares what my neighbors think. I'm in Pearl City, got 19, sometimes weak 22 if it feels like it. 31. 33. 40. hmm 8 huh. that's VHF right?

what channel is the Superbowl on this year, I hope we'll be able to get it OTA HDTV!!!

EDIT THANK you 8 comes very nicely!
post #80 of 5438 Old 01-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

pochoboy,

Glad to hear that your getting KGMB-DT! The Superbowl will be on KGMB and will be in HD.
I'm in the Ward Villages area, right in the middle of town. If I understand you right your getting DT 31 and 33, if so that the first confirmation of KBFD being on-line. Now if KHON would pass FOX Widescreen for the NFC playoffs that would be the topper.

Charles
post #81 of 5438 Old 01-03-2004, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Aloha,

Just got back from six glorious days in Kaua'i and was suprised to see all the activity on our thread here. (The Napali Coast was breathtaking after all the rains.. Hundreds of waterfalls!)

I say lets raise our collective voices to improve the HDTV situation here in Hawai'i. It does seem Oceanic and TWC is taking notice of our substantial investments in HDTV equipment and will be working on more content.

Today I will be watching the Wildcard games both in 720 on ABC!

Bryan
post #82 of 5438 Old 01-03-2004, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BHaren
Today I will be watching the Wildcard games both in 720 on ABC!

Bryan

Is there really a big difference between watching football, or any motion heavy content in 720p vs 1080i?? Thanks for all your expert opinions.

It's still pouring rain over here in Maui. Great for watching football though!!

yawny
post #83 of 5438 Old 01-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Welp,

stations 22,31,40 is a no go today. Must be the weather, it's so strange, on New Years day, rainy and all I got all channels. Yesterday's downpour must have taken some of them out. LOL, it could also be that, the engineers have the weekends off.

We'll see on Monday or theareabouts is my guess

Has anyone ever called KHON, KGMb, KITV and talk to their OTA engineers? I'd like to know if they're public relations are friendly enough to inquire about their transmissions. I haven't seen KGMB's HDtv signals as of yet, but KITV really sucks big time for me. I don't know if it's caused by my geographical location or its a Multi-Path problem. On their weekly HDTV sitcoms i get glitches(pixeling of some sorts and stutters).
post #84 of 5438 Old 01-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Theoretically, 720p should be smoother with motion intensive viewing such as sports than 1080i (the simple nature of a progressive signal versus an interlaced signal). However, I don't get any other HD TV stations than KITV (darn KGMB and Oceanic for not working things out yet!) so haven't been able to compare 720p vs 1080i football.

I know some of us have called the stations and talked to the engineers, pochoboy - you might want to give it a shot.

I can actually see the sun today ... wow, what a concept.

Spleen

post #85 of 5438 Old 01-03-2004, 04:20 PM

How is everyones wildcard game?
I am getting a lot of drop-outs.
I am in the pearl city area.

Styled1
post #86 of 5438 Old 01-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

I'll agree with Spleen. ABC's 720p broadcast seem smoother, while CBS's 1080i broadcast is sharper especially the wide field shot, but the sideline shots are more pixelated mostly from being interlaced and not progressive live ABC's is. Also take into account that CBS's telecast are done and seen in daytime while ABC's are at night.

As for KITV, after they finally switched to the HD signal in the 2nd quarter, mostly clear here in town with few dropouts, but I do have an interesting anomoly. There is a "16:9" box in the left center side of the picture that shows up during fast motion scenes in the game. I wonder if anyone has this problem.

Spleen-I know what you mean, for a second I though I was back in Seattle.
post #87 of 5438 Old 01-03-2004, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Charles... I noticed that box too. Now it's the fourth quarter and the box has disapeared? Odd...

This game has spoiled me! Why can't all games be like this?? WHY!!!!!!!!!!

Bryan
post #88 of 5438 Old 01-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Charles,

hows about today, KITV OTA reception, are you getting audio/video (pixeling) dropouts?

I want to verify it's my setup or if it's KITV.

thank you in advance.
post #89 of 5438 Old 01-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed the same box yesterday during the wildcard games on KITV. First time I've seen that on ABC during a HD broadcast. Right now, wishing I could be watching KGMB in HD as well ... (sigh)

Spleen

post #90 of 5438 Old 01-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

How is the football game on KITV(ABC) today? It's really breaking up(dropouts) today.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page