Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2006, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by delar View Post

I thought that was the number of hubcaps that flew off the Charger.

True, several mistakes (mainly due to overly ambitious editing), but a great movie nevertheless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2006, 05:00 PM

I hear that MGM's "Grand Prix" may be released on a remastered DVD this year by Warner Brothers.

That would be a great 60's "Cinerama" film to see in HD
Old 03-20-2006, 10:01 PM

Does anyone know which stations are broadcasting OTA HD? I live across the Hilton Hawaiian Village and I am wondering if its worth trying an indoor ant?

Thanks ... brad
Old 03-21-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ichiyama View Post

I hear that MGM's "Grand Prix" may be released on a remastered DVD this year by Warner Brothers.

That would be a great 60's "Cinerama" film to see in HD

OMG that is my favorite racing movie of all time.

Where did you hear about WB putting out a DVD? I've been googling like crazy to substantiate this, but even WB's own site makes no mention of this.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Brad,
KITV and KHNL broadcast in HD(live and Primetime)
KHON and KGMB only offer live programming in HD(No Primetime).

KITV, KHON and KGMB all transmit near Waikiki.
KHNL transmits from near Makakilo, you need a clear shot Ewa and the higher the better to receive them.

Charles
Old 03-22-2006, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
does anyone know if Oceanic is working to implement the Switched Digital Broadcast system that Time Warner Cable is starting to use in some places, like San Diego to increase available bandwidth? I'm thinking we'll run into some pretty poor HD picture quality later this year if they don't do something about their bandwidth problems and then add ESPN2HD, TMC-HD, KHET-HD (crossed fingers) and whatever other HD channels come about.

On a positive note, HDNetMovies looks better now that HKHNL is gone. Okay... that was only half-positive. Can't say I didn't try!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoBob View Post

Where did you hear about WB putting out a DVD? I've been googling like crazy to substantiate this, but even WB's own site makes no mention of this.

In the middle of January 2006, Warner Bros., which bought the rights to MGM's catalog, announced the 2006 release of several HD-DVD and reg def DVD sets. There's going to be a Stanley Kubrick set, a John Wayne set, some musicals and some Humphrey Bogart titles. The Frankenheimer "Grand Prix" is being released in a two disc "special edition" but there was no mention that it would be HD-DVD, so I must assume it's a regular DVD.

Press Release
Old 03-22-2006, 02:31 PM

Hello everyone,

I always wanted to see what the hype was about HDTV but I was not willing to pay for a new TV and subscribe to a few HD channels on Oceanic. Maybe in the future when it will become mandatory. So, I decided to try and see if I could get HD over-the-air.

I went to Compusa the other day and bought the HDTV Wonder video card from ATI for about $100. I know this is not the best system but that fitted my budget. Installation was a pain in the okole as it messed up the drivers for my regular video card. Eventually, after wiping out all the video drivers and re-installing everything, I was able to get HDTV on my computer.

I live in Kakaako in a condo so I have a somewhat clear path to most of the transmitters. After fiddling with the software that came in the box, I realize that I couldn't receive anything transmitted in 1080. So a quick look in the forum and I switched to WatchHDTV as my main software. That did the trick.

What am I able to receive? KHON, KITV, KGMB, KHNL, KIKU, KHET, and KFVE. For a while I couldn't get KFVE eventhough I had a strong signal (60-70%) but one day it showed up.

First reactions: I realized that not everything is broadcasted in HD. According to TitanTV website, only KITV broadcasts some programs in HD OTA? Nevertheless, the resolution is way better than on my regular TV and some shows are even in widescreen (too bad I don't have a widescreen monitor!). I cannot wait when all the TV station will broadcast in HD. And if it looks this good on a 19' monitor, it will look even better on a bigger TV (hopefully!).

I'm hooked. If the prices for the TV keep going down, I might buy a new one and finally be able to see a widescreen movie without those black bars.

Aloha.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:25 PM

I continue to have problems with my video (not audio) blacking out while watching Cable. It happened 3 times last night on HD Discovery between 11-11:30pm. It happens on my in-law's TV (different brand) as well on the SD channels. We can't be the only ones, right?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ichiyama View Post

In the middle of January 2006, Warner Bros., which bought the rights to MGM's catalog, announced the 2006 release of several HD-DVD and reg def DVD sets. There's going to be a Stanley Kubrick set, a John Wayne set, some musicals and some Humphrey Bogart titles. The Frankenheimer "Grand Prix" is being released in a two disc "special edition" but there was no mention that it would be HD-DVD, so I must assume it's a regular DVD.

Press Release

Mahalo for the heads up.

Ever since seeing the movie on Speed channel several years ago, I've been googling it occasionally over the past couple of years and heard nothing. Even signed an online petition to WB. Glad to see they're finally gonna do it.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:23 PM

Wow, you're pretty lucky. I live in a condo in Makiki but can only get KHON, KGMB and KITV's digital channels. During the NFL season at least those are the two stations that show their games in HD. KGMB has the NCAA's in HD also. Are you getting prime time shows on NBC (KHNL) in HD? I bought an amplified antenna from Walmart hoping to pick up their signal but that antenna was actually worse than the one I already had. I can't pick up any kind of signal for KHNL's digital channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNastic View Post

Hello everyone,

I always wanted to see what the hype was about HDTV but I was not willing to pay for a new TV and subscribe to a few HD channels on Oceanic. Maybe in the future when it will become mandatory. So, I decided to try and see if I could get HD over-the-air.

I went to Compusa the other day and bought the HDTV Wonder video card from ATI for about $100. I know this is not the best system but that fitted my budget. Installation was a pain in the okole as it messed up the drivers for my regular video card. Eventually, after wiping out all the video drivers and re-installing everything, I was able to get HDTV on my computer.

I live in Kakaako in a condo so I have a somewhat clear path to most of the transmitters. After fiddling with the software that came in the box, I realize that I couldn't receive anything transmitted in 1080. So a quick look in the forum and I switched to WatchHDTV as my main software. That did the trick.

What am I able to receive? KHON, KITV, KGMB, KHNL, KIKU, KHET, and KFVE. For a while I couldn't get KFVE eventhough I had a strong signal (60-70%) but one day it showed up.

First reactions: I realized that not everything is broadcasted in HD. According to TitanTV website, only KITV broadcasts some programs in HD OTA? Nevertheless, the resolution is way better than on my regular TV and some shows are even in widescreen (too bad I don't have a widescreen monitor!). I cannot wait when all the TV station will broadcast in HD. And if it looks this good on a 19' monitor, it will look even better on a bigger TV (hopefully!).

I'm hooked. If the prices for the TV keep going down, I might buy a new one and finally be able to see a widescreen movie without those black bars.

Aloha.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Very lucky indeed. I also live in the Kakaako area, but I face DH side of the building and low floor. Great for Sat TV service bad overall for OTA. I get KITV, KHON, KGMB, KIKU and if I fiddle enough with the indoor antenna KWHE and KBFD. KHNL "Lights Up" but can't get a Lock, get nothing for KFVE or KHET(???).

Jim,

A suggestion. Costco offers a 26" Widescreen LCD for under $700, it has a DVI port that you can connect to the PC and is a workaround that offers you HD.

Charles
Old 03-23-2006, 11:04 AM

My mistake. It's not KHET but KWHE (a religious channel, 14? on Oceanic cable).

Eventhough I can receive KHNL, I cannot watch it as the signal is not strong enough (around 60%). It sounds like that: the ..... sound ..... and ..... image ..... are ...... very .... choppy. KBFD is like that or worse. It could be because the KHNL transmitter is in Makakilo?

The reason I can get a lot of channels is because I live on a high floor.

There's also KAAH (TBN - a religious channel too).

Now, how do I know the program I am watching is transmitted in HD? Because it is shown in widdescreen?

"Good Morning America" is shown in widescreen and the ABC logo has HD next to it. Not sure about the rest.

Aloha.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:33 PM

My friend has an HDTV-ready unit. What kind of "box" is needed to receive and convert the HD OTA signal? He lives near Ft. Shafter, so I think that he can try to use an indoor antenna. Are both these things stocked locally? What's the recommended models for a startup unit and where are they available? Thanks!

-- Rob
Old 03-23-2006, 06:19 PM

I found my answer about the set top box. So my only question to anyone is do the local Walmarts and Best Buys carry these boxes? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

A suggestion. Costco offers a 26" Widescreen LCD for under $700, it has a DVI port that you can connect to the PC and is a workaround that offers you HD.

That's the screen I've had for 6 months, if you are referring to the Maxent 26" LCD monitor from Costco. Definitely recommended. Picture quality from DVDs and HD box through component is superb (I haven't tried DVI). It has 2 component, 1 RGB, 1 DVI, 2 AV inputs, and stereo speakers that sound pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller555 View Post

I found my answer about the set top box. So my only question to anyone is do the local Walmarts and Best Buys carry these boxes? Thanks.

Walmart here on the Big Island had the USDTV boxes a couple of months ago... $150, I think. And that's the only set top box they carry, AFAIK. I'm not sure how good they are, either.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:38 AM

I have a 8300HD plugged into my Westinghouse LTV-32w1 via hdmi-DVI. Should I just setup my 8300HD to output at 720P only? I did not think that oceanic actually broadcasted anything at 1080i not sure though. Any other recommendations?
Old 03-24-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuau View Post

I have a 8300HD plugged into my Westinghouse LTV-32w1 via hdmi-DVI. Should I just setup my 8300HD to output at 720P only? I did not think that oceanic actually broadcasted anything at 1080i not sure though. Any other recommendations?

I would use PASSTHROUGH...let your display's scaler do the work. Probably better than the cable box. Most HD is at 1080i. ABC, ESPN and FOX (someday!) are 720p.

Eric
Old 03-24-2006, 08:39 PM

Thanks Eric, so bacically when I set up the 8300HD, and do the press the guide and info button and it brings up the setup. You recommend just 1080i? Don't select anything else, then since I am using the hmi port passthough is not an option, only auto or fixed.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuau View Post

Thanks Eric, so bacically when I set up the 8300HD, and do the press the guide and info button and it brings up the setup. You recommend just 1080i? Don't select anything else, then since I am using the hmi port passthough is not an option, only auto or fixed.

Just go through the advanced setup and select the various resolutions/ratios that you want to handle. if you choose 720p and 1080i then if a channel is being transmitted in 720p, that's what the 8300HD will give you. 1080i comes through as 1080i. Look at the DVR's display...it will indicate the current resolution.

Eric
Old 03-24-2006, 10:04 PM

Evening everyone,

First off, I just plunged into the HDTV market and wanted to thank all of you who contribute to this board for assisting me in my purchase. I've been scouring this board for about two weeks now and have learned a great deal from your postings.

Secondly, did anyone have any luck receiving the UCONN/WASH game in HD? The games yesterday and the first game today on KGMB (9-1) were all brodcast in HD. The last game...notta.

Also, has anyone from the Kaimuki area had any luck with KHNL in OTA digital?

Still fine tuning the system and basically making sure I'm not missing something fundamental with my OTA setup...

Thanks,
SB
Old 03-25-2006, 01:19 AM

Yeah, that last game didn't come in HD for me either. I live in Makiki (not facing makakilo) and I can't get any kind of signal from KHNL. My friend lives right by Longs in Kaimuki, and can't get a signal either. He said he doesn't have a clear line of sight toward Makakilo though, so that might be the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by essbee View Post

Evening everyone,

First off, I just plunged into the HDTV market and wanted to thank all of you who contribute to this board for assisting me in my purchase. I've been scouring this board for about two weeks now and have learned a great deal from your postings.

Secondly, did anyone have any luck receiving the UCONN/WASH game in HD? The games yesterday and the first game today on KGMB (9-1) were all brodcast in HD. The last game...notta.

Also, has anyone from the Kaimuki area had any luck with KHNL in OTA digital?

Still fine tuning the system and basically making sure I'm not missing something fundamental with my OTA setup...

Thanks,
SB

Old 03-25-2006, 09:31 AM

I went and bought an indoor antenna at radio shack (good return policy). I have HD from Oceanic but I thought if I could get even one additional station it would be worth it. We live across the street from the Hilton Hawaiian Village in a high rise... I could not get even get a single digital signal OTA. I guess I'll be returning this antenna to the Shack. Now that we have a large screen TV, it's hard to watch non-HD programs (I'm spoiled). KHON is not even digital on cable, looks horrible blown up large. Would it help to organise among us to lobby for HD and digital?
Old 03-25-2006, 11:21 AM

Following the past advice on the thread, we switched our HD, DVR, Roadrunner package to the "Surf Pack" and got the cable bill lowered. Apparently there was a rate increase effective April 1st, so we wondered about the increase in charge.

The CS operator informed us about the rate increase, but then offered to see if there was a "promo" that we could use to get the rate lower. Apparently there is a promo that combines HD-DVR, Roadrunner and the HD Entertainment Pack for $99.95 plus tax/fees. Combined with the charge for our non-HD DVR and duplication of services, the bill is $126.25/mo., which is less than the current rate of $137.71.

You just gotta keep an eye on the billing and ask your friendly neighborhood CS rep.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Brad,

With all the highrises in Waikiki, multipath is a severe issue there. In some cases, it may also be too much signal versus not enough that is the problem. I live in Kakaako with a clear shot at KGMB/KHON and KITV's towers and use a silver sensor unamplified and get mid to high 90's, even KIKU which is "behind me" and also transmits from Makakilo, I get mid 60's. Your even closer to the big 3 than I am.
Suggestion: Next time at RatShack, get the cheap unamplified one($10), lay the rods(VHF) flat and use Quad shield RG6 coax to the TV.

Charles
Old 03-25-2006, 01:24 PM

According to a friend of mine who works for Oceanic, all of the KHNL HD Olympic content Oceanic carried was handled by Oceanic. He told me Oceanic was pulling the content down from the bird themselves and time-shifting it.

So this could indicate that KHNL does not have any HD recorders...anyone seeing OTA HD content from KHNL?

-Ken

[quote=hawaiian2002]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post

FYI - I inquired about the HKHNL timeline for Oahu as well with the CSR dept and got this reply yesterday:

[i]From: csrsupport@twchawaii.net
Subject: Re: Help Desk
Date: March 4, 2006 10:54:38 PM HST
Reply-To: csrsupport@twchawaii.net

Aloha,

Thank you for your recent inquiry. We were unable to successfully
negotiate a contract with KHNL for carriage of the channel after the
Olympics. The neighbor islands should not be receiving the channel
either. It is an error that will be corrected as soon as
possible.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail us again
or contact our Customer Care Department at the appropriate number below.
When replying to this e-mail, please include this message as well as all
previous correspondence regarding this issue.

QUOTE]

I feel like when there was a baseball strike a few years ago. The public suffers because the two parties cannot settle their differences. Both sides have the capability to put out the product. Seems ridiculous huh?

Old 03-25-2006, 01:43 PM

So that would mean Oceanic has the time shifting units? other people here said they were getting KHNL OTA in HD after the Olympics but don't know if they still are getting it.

[quote=EMOE3]According to a friend of mine who works for Oceanic, all of the KHNL HD Olympic content Oceanic carried was handled by Oceanic. He told me Oceanic was pulling the content down from the bird themselves and time-shifting it.

So this could indicate that KHNL does not have any HD recorders...anyone seeing OTA HD content from KHNL?

-Ken

Old 03-25-2006, 01:54 PM

Brad, check out Walmart and get the Silver Sensor indoor antenna. I llive in Makiki
surrounded by buildings and am able to at least get KGMB, KITV. and KHON's digital signal. I read someplace the design of this antenna works well with these types of conditions (multipath?). A week ago I bought a more expensive amplified antenna from there hoping to pick up KHNL's signal and it was much worse the the Silver Sensor. when i bought this antenna i did see they had the Sensor but you have to look at the back of the box where it shows what the antenna looks like snce it was convered in plastic or something. do a google picutre search on it to see what the design is like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADWhite View Post

I went and bought an indoor antenna at radio shack (good return policy). I have HD from Oceanic but I thought if I could get even one additional station it would be worth it. We live across the street from the Hilton Hawaiian Village in a high rise... I could not get even get a single digital signal OTA. I guess I'll be returning this antenna to the Shack. Now that we have a large screen TV, it's hard to watch non-HD programs (I'm spoiled). KHON is not even digital on cable, looks horrible blown up large. Would it help to organise among us to lobby for HD and digital?

Old 03-25-2006, 04:38 PM
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMOE3 View Post

Yes just last night. KHNL is still in HD in primetime. Conviction and Law and Order were HD. So is KFVE.

For about a weeks since the Olymics they have been spotty with switching on the HD programming. For example the first half of ER would be in SD then the other half they would switch it on. The Office would start in HD then after the first commercial would be switched to SD. Now it's been consistent. Anything that should be in HD is broadcast in HD. The only show I haven't personally seen in HD so far that should be is SNL.

EDIT: Let me amend that. I'm seeing SNL in HD tonight.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:05 PM

This may be OT, but it does pertain to OTW.

Has anyone's Roadrunner connection been really flaky lately? I mean unreasonably flaky, like anywhere from every 5 to 15 minutes, the CABLE light on the cable modem goes off or flashes, indicating an interruption in the cable internet signal. However, the TV cable signal on the same line is uninterrupted. Normally this light is supposed to remain on 24/7. It had been fairly reliable for the past 5 years or so, but only recently has their signal been going on & off.

I joked with the wifely sort that OTW's customer base is so big now that they have resorted to "rolling ISP blackouts" to cope with the bandwidth demands. I know that is probably false, but it does sit in the back of my mind & make me wonder.

I will be calling OTW, but I wanted to get a consensus of what others have been experiencing, especially in the Waikele area.