Honolulu, HI - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5447 Old 11-25-2003, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off I would like to say its a pleasure to be posting on these forums...

I live in Kailua Hawaii on the island of Oahu... Time Warner Oceanic is our cable provider and so far my HDTV selection is slim..

KITV (ABC)
iN Demand HD 1&2
HBO HD
Showtime HD

They used to offer KGMB (CBS) but the station stopped transmitting their HD signal. I called their stations engineer and he stated their lawyers pulled the plug on their HDTV feed due to them not being able to simulcast "The Young and the Restless" in HDTV. Something to do with his tape machines at the station....

What he was telling me didn't make much sense at all. Maybe it has something to do with the time difference and the tape delay in Hawaii.

This is upsetting as CBS offers some of my favorite shows in HDTV.. Hopefully they will get their act together soon!

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5447 Old 11-25-2003, 10:10 PM

Hey Brian,

I'm over on Maui and am thinking about diving into the HD game as well, mostly for football and movies. TW Oceanic is offering the same channels over here too, and claimed to be adding more soon. I went to the local office to see a demo of HD as I had not seen it yet. They were feeding a Panasonic 36" 4:3 HD Set with a Scientific-Atlanta 3100HD box. Do you have the same box??

Anyway, I was very impressed with the picture quality of HBO and Showtime. But when I tried to view either KGMB (CBS) or KITV (ABC), the picture was "pillar boxed" with black bars on top, bottom AND the sides, making the 4:3 picture very small. I thought all HDTV was 16:9 and on a 4:3 set would be shown in "letterbox" with bars on the top and bottom as with HBO and Showtime. Does it do this with your set as well?? Am I missing something here??

Thanks for any help...
post #3 of 5447 Old 11-30-2003, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

Yawny - over in Ewa Beach on Oahu. Also have TW Oceanic with a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD box (which appears to be Oceanic's standard HD box -- no other options available). All non HD content on the HD channels will be transmitted with vertical boxes on both sides of the picture to maintain original AR. KGMB is not apparently up at this time. KITV only shows certain shows in HDTV (but MNF looks incredible!!)

On my plasma 16:9 set, it won't let me resize a 1080i picture so I switch to the non-HD equivalent channel when not watching HD content.

Spleen

What do you mean, I can't afford it!?
post #4 of 5447 Old 11-30-2003, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by spleen93
All non HD content on the HD channels will be transmitted with vertical boxes on both sides of the picture to maintain original AR.

OK... Now I get it. From further reading I've found out that they (local channels) only broadcast HD in Primetime. That explains why I saw the pillar boxed content at the local office in the afternoon.
Quote:

KITV only shows certain shows in HDTV (but MNF looks incredible!!)

Do you get the same MNF feed in HD as you do in SD?? Meaning the same audio and video in HD as SD?? I read somewhere that there are different announcers and camera angles in the HD feed and no replay's.
Quote:

On my plasma 16:9 set, it won't let me resize a 1080i picture so I switch to the non-HD equivalent channel when not watching HD content.

Which set do you have?? I asked them a couple weeks ago which box they supply for HD and they said they had two models, the 3030 and 3040. I went to the Scientific-Atlanta site and could not find those model numbers. I called them back and they explained that the 3030-40 are internal part #'s they use. So I asked them which of their "internal" part #'s jive with the boxes SA lists on their site. I had to give the rep the web address as they didn't have it(??).

I was then told the the 3030 is the 3100HD, but they couldn't tell me what box the 3040 was. I was then told I would be called by someone in tech support who "might know". I've yet to hear back from them and it's been two weeks. The 3270HD box on the Scientific-Atlanta site may be the 3040. It allows for Normal-Stretch-Zoom modes for 4:3 and 16:9 TV's. You might ask them if they can get you one.

Thanks for the help and info. Have fun watching HD!!
post #5 of 5447 Old 11-30-2003, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmm ... maybe worthwhile to check with Oceanic again about whether they have any other HD boxes - I didn't get the impression that they had any besides the one that they gave me. I've got a 50 inch Panasonic plasma as my HDTV set.

I don't know if the MNF feed that I saw in HD is a different camera with different commentators than the SD version. But we did see replays and field shots. I would think that it would be much more expensive for ABC to be running 2 separate crews for HD vs SD - would seem to be much more convenient to film in HD and downconvert for the SD signal.

Spleen

post #6 of 5447 Old 11-30-2003, 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by spleen93
I've got a 50 inch Panasonic plasma as my HDTV set.

I officially have Plasma envy.
Quote:

I don't know if the MNF feed that I saw in HD is a different camera with different commentators than the SD version. But we did see replays and field shots. I would think that it would be much more expensive for ABC to be running 2 separate crews for HD vs SD - would seem to be much more convenient to film in HD and downconvert for the SD signal.

Makes sense. I think the thing I read was in another HD Forum regarding last years Super Bowl broadcast in HD. Might have been one of the first and they didn't have their "stuff" together then. I've also read that ESPN HD shows all their SD in stretch mode to fit the 16:9 format. We don't have ESPN HD yet, but like you mentioned, you can just go to the SD channel to watch the SD stuff. Thanks again and have a Mele Kalikimaka!!
post #7 of 5447 Old 11-30-2003, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Bryan,

Welcome to the forum!

Allan
post #8 of 5447 Old 12-01-2003, 02:10 AM

Aloha from the Big Island. The newer box that Oceanic TW is using is the 3250HD. You folks might want to join this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=322677 where some Oceanic customers have been discussing some issues with our HD service.

Eric
post #9 of 5447 Old 12-01-2003, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Aloha to all,

KGMB is only able to pass HD live at this time, they need to install a HD recorder for CBS primetime and The Young and the Restless. But KGMB does air the SEC saturday game and the national NFL game in HD, such as yesterday's Patriots/Colts game.

Monday Night Football, as almost all HD sports programs, uses one crew for the game. The HD signal is cropped for 4:3 and down-rezed for SD. If you notice on MNF the scorebox is more near the center on the HD broadcast.

BTW, I don't have Oceanic. I use a Samsung OTA HD receiver.
post #10 of 5447 Old 12-01-2003, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Greetings from the (starting to become) frozen tundra of the East Coast! I have relatives currently living in Princeville, Hawaii - the lucky dogs.

I was just wondering if the OTA HD selections are slim all over Hawaii, or just in certain parts? We'll be visiting next year and I just might bring my HD tuner along with me to check it out.
post #11 of 5447 Old 12-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Sangs,
Now dragging an HD tuner around tells me you are a boarder line AVS nut.

Glad you are. Stay a Macadamia.

Allan
post #12 of 5447 Old 12-01-2003, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Pipelion
Sangs,
Now dragging an HD tuner around tells me you are a boarder line AVS nut.

Glad you are. Stay a Macadamia.

Allan

See, this is why I told my wife it was dangerous when she told me I needed to get a hobby. That'll teach her.
post #13 of 5447 Old 12-01-2003, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

so funny!

Allan
post #14 of 5447 Old 12-01-2003, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone...

I have also called Oceanic and they stated they have a 3030 Scientific Atlantic box and sure enough there was no mention of that model number on Scientific Atlanta's website.
I will definatly ask about the 3270 model when I get back from Japan next week. (I will assume it's preferable to the 3100HD)

Thanks Eric for the referal to the other thread. It was very informative, especially the post about what the Director of Engineering at KGMB had said about the stations HDTV feed. It's a shame as some of my favorite programs are on CBS

I called Oceanic and spoke to a rep about Discovery HD and ESPN HD and she stated they were working on it. It seems other TW cable stations elsewhere in the US are already carying them.

Aloha!
Bryan
post #15 of 5447 Old 12-01-2003, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Charles - where in Honolulu are you? Do you have reception problems at all with your OTA antenna? Did you mount outside or are you using an antenna indoors? (so many questions)

(watching MNF in all of its HD glory)

Spleen

post #16 of 5447 Old 12-01-2003, 11:25 PM

I am soo glad to see that the other 7 people on the island that have hd, all in one fourm.
I have been told that the "new" box is out of stock,but i can comfirm that it can do 720p as well as 1080i. I have also been told that MNF looks soft in 720p.
post #17 of 5447 Old 12-02-2003, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Out of stock?? Which office did you speak too? I don't think I will want a 3100HD box as it doesn't sound like it's as nice as the 3250HD (Model 3040???)

Bryan
post #18 of 5447 Old 12-02-2003, 02:09 PM

Hi All!

I live on Oahu in Waikele (home of the factory outlet stores). I just got my digital HD cable installed yesterday, and they gave me a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD box. The HD stations are dazzling (especially MNF, though that's no use to me since I hate sports), but I'm a little disapointed that there are only 3 channels.

Also, since I'm fairly cheap, I'm probably going to get rid of the HBO/Showtime package that I'm getting free right now for 6 months. The shows on HBO/SHO are always so old, that I already have everything I would want to see on DVD. So, unless more HD stations show up soon I'm probably going to drop the digital cable, especially since the SD programming looks as bad as, if not worse, than the analog cable. When I signed up they told me that ESPN-HD and Discovery-HD should be added before next summer. Not sure if they would charge extra for those or not.
post #19 of 5447 Old 12-02-2003, 06:02 PM

I finally spoke to the Dir. of Engineering for KGMB and KHON today...nice guy! Here's the 411 on HD: KGMB-DT *is* broadcasting on the air (channels 8 & 22), but is not being carried on Oceanic TW Cable....it's all the lawyers, etc, negotiating for the carriage of the signal. I say we bombard Oceanic with our wrath about this. We want our HD!!

The Powers That Be have approved the expenditure for new NTSC and Digital transmitters for Hilo, so that should happen by next Spring/Early Summer. KHON-DT should be operating by Summer. Look forward for fabulous Fox Widescreen; although next Fall Fox goes to 720p.

I asked about ST: ENTERPRISE and HD...he wasn't even aware that it was available in that format, but will check and have info for me next week.

Eric
post #20 of 5447 Old 12-02-2003, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Linda! I just moved out of Waikele to Ewa Beach! Eric - good news that at least they're up. We definitely need to get Oceanic to carry it.

Hi Styled!

Spleen

post #21 of 5447 Old 12-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

spleen93,

I'm in the Kakaako/Ward Villages area. I use a Silver Sensor indoor antenna. I receive KHON, KITV and KGMB, even though KGMB is DT 8, pretty easily. KIKU comes in mostly at night. I was able to get KWHE until a month ago. According to titantv, KBFD is now transmitting digitally but so far don't get a signal and both KBFD and KWHE transmit from Century Square.
post #22 of 5447 Old 12-02-2003, 11:44 PM

Hi Spleen93: Hope you don't work in town, the commute from Waikele is bad, but I hear from Ewa it's pure hell.

Interesting news Eric. I'm willing to write an email to Oceanic to let them know that I only subscribe to digital cable for the HD content, and unless they beef that up, I'm going to cancel.

Charles: I didn't know it was possible to get good reception with an indoor antenna. If that's so, I may be getting rid of the digital cable and try that. Especially if you're catching more HD channels than Oceanic offers. However, you are in the middle of the all the transmitters while I'm out in the "country".
post #23 of 5447 Old 12-02-2003, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Oueens and Canoes! Sunset, Pipe, I miss Hawaii!

I hate you guys.

When it comes to surfing, after 30 years, I still suck, but such a great sport and Hawaii is so fine.

Allan
post #24 of 5447 Old 12-03-2003, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

I wonder if the local affiliates have a repeater on the windward side where I live?? I might be willing to spring for a HDTV reciever if so!

Bryan
post #25 of 5447 Old 12-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Charles - Hmmm. Like Linda said, you're right in the middle of the broadcasting antennas - not sure if that approach would work out here in the boonies. Did you get your Silver Sensor at Sears? I hear it's cheap - might want to pick one up just to see whether it'll work or not (but I'd also have to get a HDTV OTA receiver too, huh ... ok, maybe not).

I'm still tossing around the idea of going with DirecTV to get my HDTV channels ... that way I could upgrade to HDTivo down the line when it gets released next year (not that long away now). I'm still choking on the installation charges though.

Linda - work in Kapolei so I have the reverse commute. Only reason why I chose to live in Ewa Beach was because of the back route through Barbers Point. If I had to go down Fort Weaver every day ... (shudder)

Pipelion - move back home!

Bryan - you might still be able to pick up HDTV on the windward side with an outdoor antenna. Have you checked out AntennaWeb.org ?

Spleen

post #26 of 5447 Old 12-03-2003, 11:54 PM

hello all,
I have been told (by a source at oceanic)that on dec 9th oceanic will add another hd sports channel. It will be on either 923,924 or 925. It will come from the same people that bring us INHD. From what i have been told it will only be up when that have some thing to show. If they don't have a feed the channel will be black. It will show something on the 9th as of right now i do not know what it is,maybe basketball? If someone knows anything else can you shed some light on this.
As for the kgmb thing. I have been told that at the very least oceanic WILL broadcast the super bowl in HD on 907. Hopefully we will have the full prime time line up(if kgmb ever get the recorder) by than.
post #27 of 5447 Old 12-04-2003, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Spleen... I check out that website and it said I could recieve the signals for all the stations.

It would be great news if Oceanic broadcast the BIG GAME in HDTV. Talking about a Super Bowl Party! (Go Cowboys!)

Spleen, I'm not sure if we can "see" the DirecTV HDTV Satellite from Hawaii. If you go to the DirecTV website it says we can only recieve limited channels..

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/...ing_Hawaii.dsp

Bryan
post #28 of 5447 Old 12-04-2003, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Spleen,

Yup, I picked up my Silver Sensor at Sears. But I used a plain old pair of rabbit ears originally and it worked almost as well. As for the receiver, you could buy one a Circuit City and if it didn't work out they have a real easy return policy.

Hopefully KGMB changes it's mind and shows the Chiefs/Broncos game which is this weeks HD games and not the Dolphins/Patriots which is listed.
post #29 of 5447 Old 12-04-2003, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

I know for a fact that we can get DirecTV HDTV here in Hawaii since I've seen HDNet off of DirecTV at Audio Lab on Ala Moana (running off a DLP FP system and on a 100 inch screen ... sweet!). BTW, if any of you haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself to go visit this store ... a fantastic setup. Tom, the owner, is very nice and will do a demo for you. (no financial affiliation, if anybody's wondering)

This has also been confirmed by a DirecTV installer here in Hawaii that we can pick up the HDTV signal. Of course, we can't get about 1/3 of the other DirecTV channels but we have the HDTV ones.

Styled1 - that would be great if we could get KGMB to show the Super Bowl!

Charles - hmmmm .... easy return policy ... (evil Spleen starts thinking ... )

Spleen

post #30 of 5447 Old 12-05-2003, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thats good news Spleen... I will have to stop by that store and check it out...

Maybe someone could call that engineer at KGMB and find out for sure their Superbowl plans???

Bryan
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page