Long Island, NY - OTA - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 502 Old 12-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WWOR-DT is now available on channel 38! (Although some receivers are having problems tuning it in.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 502 Old 12-21-2004, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its coming in here in Kings Park !!

I get 2 channels on Ch.38:

WWOR-DT Sec
WNYW-DT New

but WWOR seems to be not the same format as on ch.44

Enjoy,
Keith
post #183 of 502 Old 02-07-2005, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

damn, i really need to get on my roof and re-erect my antenna...still waiting for all the snow to melt...great news about wpix...i had been waiting on them.

it's been a while, but i could swear i was getting nbc; not sure if it was from nyc or ct...
post #184 of 502 Old 02-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BenDover
damn, i really need to get on my roof and re-erect my antenna...still waiting for all the snow to melt...great news about wpix...i had been waiting on them.

it's been a while, but i could swear i was getting nbc; not sure if it was from nyc or ct...

NBC-DT is broadcasting at 50% power from the ESB, so it's probably coming from their.
post #185 of 502 Old 02-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

For those interested, WPIX-DT now has guide data available on channel 33 for the HR10-250. You'll need to clear your scanned off-air channels then check 11-1 in Channels You Receive.
post #186 of 502 Old 03-07-2005, 03:50 PM

I know this might be the wrong forum for this, but can anyone answer questions on Voom's local OTA antennas for Long Island? I might be moving to Western Suffolk, and wanted to know if there's a certain antenna model I should request to receive WCBS-TV/DT, WNBC-TV/DT, WNYW-TV/DT, WABC-TV/DT, WWOR-TV/DT, WPIX-TV/DT (very important to me as I'm a Mets fan), WNET-TV/DT, WLIW-TV/DT, as well as some of the Connecticut locals. Also, does the FCC FireWire mandate apply to satellite? Initially, I plan on hooking up Voom to a Sony 27" Wega SD 4:3. Will the Voom receiver automatically letterbox, or stretch the HD channels (I was told the box will downres to 480i over component and composite.)? How are the installers in terms of working with you about stringing the coax and dish mounting? Do they try to "nickle and dime" you, or are they fairly accommodating (I want them to run a cable into the basement, and drill a small hole through the floor and string to the main floor rooms)?
post #187 of 502 Old 03-07-2005, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

VOOM will provide you with whatever antenna you need to pick up the most locals in your area if you "ask" for a larger antenna. I had two large antennas already installed when I got VOOM so they just left me with their default channel master (forget the model). From Smithtown I was alble to get most channels from NYC and some from CT. When I was up and running WPIX wasn't yet broadcasting at high enough power levels although I understand that they have begun. My antennas came down before winter to do some renovations and haven't had the time/opportunity to get them back up so I can't tell you about WPIX (sorry to hear you're a Met fan )

Not sure about the firewire mandate you speak of but VOOM doesn't have an active firewire port anyhow.

My VOOM installer was great and did whatever I asked him, including something similar to what you are looking for; cable from roof run into my basement beneath my den and up through the floor although I had already drilled up from the basement into my den; he did drill a new hole from the exterior into the basement. I didn't have to reach into my pocket for anything but the installation price was included; are they not still including the installation price?

The component outs are for HD but you certainly can instruct it to output 480i (SD) by pressing the little red button under the little door on the front of the unit located on the right lower corner (I believe it cycles in the following order being confirmed by the light bar on the front, 1-1080i, 2-720p, 3-480p, 4-480i and 5-original source (all light bars flash); the composite by default outputs SD.

The VOOM box has settings for what to do with 4:3 material on a widescreen setup; i.e., it will stretch or letterbox (i think those are the only two options; of course, your tv can probably manipulate the images as well).
post #188 of 502 Old 03-08-2005, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by DevOne
wanted to know if there's a certain antenna model I should request to receive WCBS-TV/DT, WNBC-TV/DT, WNYW-TV/DT, WABC-TV/DT, WWOR-TV/DT, WPIX-TV/DT (very important to me as I'm a Mets fan), WNET-TV/DT, WLIW-TV/DT, as well as some of the Connecticut locals.

Don't plan on getting WNET-DT yet. They are broadcasting low power from NJ, pointing away from LI. I wouldn't plan on getting any Connecticut locals either as that will require an antenna rotator, which you won't get Voom to pay for since you can get the NY locals.

To be honest with you, since the combiner has been put in place on the ESB, I've been very disappointed with the reception from NBC and ABC (who were both on temporary antennas prior to moving to the combiner). Luckily for me, both of these stations are available in HD on D*, so I changed all of my "season passes" on my Tivo to the D* version of the stations.

On the other hand, the combiner has allowed for the reception of WWOR and WPIX which which I couldn't receive at all prior to the combiner.

Lastly, you will be disappointed with WLIW-DT because they aren't broadcasting in HD anymore, just digitally. If your location doesn't allow you to pick this station up without rotating the antenna, I wouldn't let it be the reason that I bought a rotator.
post #189 of 502 Old 03-08-2005, 09:57 AM

Hi,
I live in Babylon Village (Western Suffolk, approx 36 miles from ESB) in an apartment and can't put an antenna on the roof. Does anyone know if it would be possible to receive WPIX DT with an indoor antenna? I am in the 3rd of 3 floors, would that help with reception?

Looking at antennaweb.org, it says I would need an amplified UHF antenna. Anyone in a similar situation have success receiving CH 11 with an indoor antenna?

Thanks!
post #190 of 502 Old 03-08-2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Broderick
Don't plan on getting WNET-DT yet. They are broadcasting low power from NJ, pointing away from LI. I wouldn't plan on getting any Connecticut locals either as that will require an antenna rotator, which you won't get Voom to pay for since you can get the NY locals.

To be honest with you, since the combiner has been put in place on the ESB, I've been very disappointed with the reception from NBC and ABC (who were both on temporary antennas prior to moving to the combiner). Luckily for me, both of these stations are available in HD on D*, so I changed all of my "season passes" on my Tivo to the D* version of the stations.

How is WNET-TV's reception? Could ABC and NBC's reception be compromised more by them multicasting (eyewitness news loop and weather plus respectivley), than their move to the ESB?
post #191 of 502 Old 03-08-2005, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

you definitely want a rotator if you plan on picking up all the previously mentioned channels.

multicasting wouldn't affect signal reception.
post #192 of 502 Old 03-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by zoidberg
Hi,
I live in Babylon Village (Western Suffolk, approx 36 miles from ESB) in an apartment and can't put an antenna on the roof. Does anyone know if it would be possible to receive WPIX DT with an indoor antenna? I am in the 3rd of 3 floors, would that help with reception?

Looking at antennaweb.org, it says I would need an amplified UHF antenna. Anyone in a similar situation have success receiving CH 11 with an indoor antenna?

Thanks!

You MAY be able to use a Zenith Silver Sensor. If you point it out a west facing window you might be able to pick up the signals from ESB.

If you're on the top floor and have attic access (or even a large crawl space) on the west side of the building you could try using an outdoor antenna with a preamp in the attic.
post #193 of 502 Old 03-08-2005, 01:20 PM

Thanks I'll give it a shot. Need my WPIX Mets games in HD!
post #194 of 502 Old 03-08-2005, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DevOne
Also, does the FCC FireWire mandate apply to satellite?

How are the installers in terms of working with you about stringing the coax and dish mounting? Do they try to "nickle and dime" you, or are they fairly accommodating (I want them to run a cable into the basement, and drill a small hole through the floor and string to the main floor rooms)?

The Firewire mandate is for cable only.

Good luck with the installer. These guys are paid a flat fee for the satellite job (usually ~$75 but voom may differ). You may be able to pay him to do some custom work but in my experience you'll be lucky if you can get someone to finish the most basic install after multiple visits.

rcliff
post #195 of 502 Old 03-10-2005, 04:33 PM

Has anyone successfully pulled OTA locals from the ESB combiner, and been able to pick up WLNY-DT? I know they're broadcasting on a low-power transmission tower in Ridge. If anyone has some tips/recommendations on how to aquire the ESB OTAs and WLNY-DT (I'm going with Voom and their OTA antenna), I'd appreciate it. This will be for a home on the Nassau/Suffolk boarder.
post #196 of 502 Old 03-17-2005, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zoidberg
Thanks I'll give it a shot. Need my WPIX Mets games in HD!

Got my Silver Sensor in the mail today. With some positioning, I'm able to get WPIX DT on my HDTV!!

Thanks for suggesting the Silver Sensor, it really is an amazing little antenna!

I'm also able to pick up CBS, FOX, ABC, WOR (WOR and FOX twice..) CH 21 and a bunch of Spanish channels.

The only one I haven't seen is NBC, but I get that with iO anyway. (along with everything else but WOR).

Thanks again!!
post #197 of 502 Old 03-18-2005, 06:42 AM

Actually, I'm getting NBC on the Silver sensor too.

In total, CBS, NBC, FOX, WOR, PIX, ABC (on CH 45, doesn't remap to 7) and CH21 along with a load of Spanish Channels
post #198 of 502 Old 03-29-2005, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Pondering adding the Samsung SIR-T451 but would like to know reception experiences especially for South Shore users. Using full sized roof antenna relocated to attic.
post #199 of 502 Old 03-29-2005, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Threads merged.
post #200 of 502 Old 03-29-2005, 08:06 PM

GARY CORNELL,HI, I live in Long Beach, I get all of these OTA in HD, 2 4 5 7 9 11. You will not get 13 in HD. No one in Nassau and Suffolk get 13 in HD until they are on the combiner on the Empire State building, and those channels come in clearer OTA than Directv . I have an outside mounted Weingard antenna with a rotator and the best part, don't have to pay Directv for it.
post #201 of 502 Old 03-29-2005, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks, just looking to add WWOR and WPIX for baseball. Have Cablevision but above not yet carried in HD. If i knew WWOR would show Yanks in HD, i'd pick up the Samsung today. I emailed them and the response was vague so i have to decide if it's worth it just for Met games.
post #202 of 502 Old 03-30-2005, 05:10 AM
DVW

I am in Patchogue. Getting good reception with Winegard 9065/AP4800 combo.
post #203 of 502 Old 03-31-2005, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DVW
I am in Patchogue. Getting good reception with Winegard 9065/AP4800 combo.

what channels are you picking up and from where? you are even further out east than me...(smithtown)
post #204 of 502 Old 04-01-2005, 03:38 AM
DVW

2.1,4.1,5.1,7.1,9.1,11.1,21.1,31.1,41.1,68.1 from nyc.
post #205 of 502 Old 04-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Great thread. I just ordered an antenna and am trying to set my expectations accurately. I have a 1 floor ranch with attic. It is a uni-directional antenna for extra long ranges. I am in East Northport at about 36 miles from ESB. The run from the antenna to the TV is short (20 feet). I want to try putting the antenna in the attic first as it is very long. Any perspective is appreciated.

I have read that height is important and I agree, when all other variables are equal. But, I have also seen some pics and some actual antennas (and dishes) put almost on the ground.

My neighbor has an antenna that is probably 12 feet above where mine would end up and he gets amazing reception of non-HD channels. What kind of indication is that for my experience?

Thanks, Joe
post #206 of 502 Old 04-13-2005, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by CountryJoe
Great thread. I just ordered an antenna and am trying to set my expectations accurately. I have a 1 floor ranch with attic. It is a uni-directional antenna for extra long ranges. I am in East Northport at about 36 miles from ESB. The run from the antenna to the TV is short (20 feet). I want to try putting the antenna in the attic first as it is very long. Any perspective is appreciated.

I have read that height is important and I agree, when all other variables are equal. But, I have also seen some pics and some actual antennas (and dishes) put almost on the ground.

My neighbor has an antenna that is probably 12 feet above where mine would end up and he gets amazing reception of non-HD channels. What kind of indication is that for my experience?

Thanks, Joe

I would have to say that we could speculate but since there are so many contributing factors, in addition to the information that you've already provided, that the only way to know is to get it in the attic and give it a try.

If you have easy access to your attic it shouldn't be a problem, but if you have tight access then you might spend a lot of time and energy getting the pieces up into the attic, assembling the full antenna and then possibly discovering that you don't get all the channels you want.

Do you have room to rotate the antenna in your attic or were you envisioning just pointing it in one direction and leaving it alone? There are some stations that you can easily get from surrounding areas but you have to rotate the antenna (or mount two, as I did )

Which antenna did you get?
post #207 of 502 Old 04-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks. I ordered a 91XG Uni-Directional Antenna from AntennasDirect. Nice people and 90 day unconditional return policy. $79 plus $14 shipping.

My Attic is a piece of cake to get into and has a lot of space. The only things I can think that would cause a problem, is the height (only one floor ranch) and the A/C trunk is in the attic about 20 feet away and to one side a bit. The place where the antenna is going is directly above the TV, so it is a very short, direct run down. I'm hoping this helps with signal loss. If I have to move it outside, I just snake the coax out a vent and I am right where the post goes. It is just that I do not want to look at the antenna, if I don't have to. Easy enough to give it a try.

Like I said, my neighbor has never had cable or satellite (I find it amazing). He has a basic aerial (sp?) antenna on his house and gets what I would describe as perfect reception. I am hoping that although I am about 12 feet lower than him, the strength of the antenna will make up for it.

Would you recommend a rotator, even though all the channels I want come from a single source (ESB)?

This is very exciting to see if this can be done and get HD from a free source and not shovel more money to DISH.

Thanks for the reply.

Joe
post #208 of 502 Old 04-13-2005, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Try it out first; if you have a problem or then decide you want to explore getting some channels from say, CT, you could always add the rotator but the installation may be different unless you are planning on hanging it from a rafter on a pole anyhow, then maybe the rotator wouldn't be that difficult to install. I would imagine, however, if you go with a rotator you will have to mount it such that it can freely rotate within your attic.

Be careful of any electrical lines in your attic!!!!
post #209 of 502 Old 04-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know where I can find a site that can help with the positioning of the antenna towards the source? I know basically where ESB is relative to me, but would like a compass heading (if possible) to help out. Is there a web site that anyone knows about where maybe I could input my address and see the direction to ESB transmitter?

Thanks, Joe
post #210 of 502 Old 04-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by CountryJoe
Does anyone know where I can find a site that can help with the positioning of the antenna towards the source? I know basically where ESB is relative to me, but would like a compass heading (if possible) to help out. Is there a web site that anyone knows about where maybe I could input my address and see the direction to ESB transmitter?

Thanks, Joe

Try antennaweb.org or do a name search for dswallow and use the sites listed in his signature for a more detailed analysis of transmitter locations.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page