Shreveport / Monroe, LA - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2004, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I have 2 outdoor antennas, a nice channelmaster pointed toward the hills North of town where all the antennas SHOULD be broadcasting digital from and a cheapo terk 55 pointed more or less in the direction of the kmss studio...nothing on either one for KMSS, i could reaim the channelmaster i guess and it would still pick up 3 pretty well....but i would probably lose 12. Thats not much of a solution...guess i need a rotor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2004, 06:36 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone applied for a HD waiver from KMSS? I had D* send one in on my behalf today. I guess it's wishful thinking on my part, but it would be wonderful to settle the Super Bowl issue one way or another.

Any luck talking to KMSS?

Steve Smith
Bossier City, LA
Old 11-30-2004, 06:51 PM

Liked: 12
I have and was denied. I couldnt believe it. I receive absolutely NO signal form their towers and they deny me a waiver
Old 12-01-2004, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

I havent tried, i got shot down by KSLA though. I would try it if it meant anything for football but it will not help with sports in general the deals with the league supercede anything that D* or E* can do, even with a waiver games would still be blacked out locally if they are available ota. So we need KMSS to get a real tower up and powered fully for the SuperBowl, they have STA to broadcast with 500 or maybe 1000 watts from a short tower on top of their facility now and that is what they are doing. KSHV is doing the same thing.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:02 AM

At least I can get KSHV 45-1.Don't know exactly where their facility is.No way can I get KMSS 33-1.Not with rooftop channel master or silver sensor.It's funny because Burgranger lives farther away from them than me.Line of sight issue I guess.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:38 AM

The only thing I have been picking up lately from KMSS is in the top left hand corner of the screen it says FOX DIGITAL in white . It does trigger my pioneer receiver to switch to dd 5.1 but no sound. In the last few nights i am only picking up 45.1 at about 40% no picture or sound. I may need to pick my silver sensor off the ground, it may have been blown off the table, with all the wind we have been having lately. The funny thing when i was switch to program info on 45.1 it gives me kmss program listings. Like I said before it pays not to have back door neighbors, no trees, no houses to get in the way of High Definition television. Was anybody able to speak with the engineer at kmss. I left a voice mail but got no answer. I told him i appreciate him putting the football game in HD the other weekend. I was not able to look to see if they were broadcasting it last weekend. I was in Houston to see the Texans-Titans game. Btw the best picture quality I have ever seen. Live beats hd any day of the week.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:56 AM

I talked to the engineers at KMSS today and they told me that they are transmitting.Advised me to point my antenna toward I-20 and Jewella.Still low power obviously.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:03 PM

Does anyone know if you can receive OTA HD up in Texarkana? I'm weighing my options as I'm getting ready to purchase a Samsung DLP monitor. From reading this thread, it doesn't even look like the locals can get it right within 15 miles of their broadcast locations....which makes me think that I'm doomed being 70 miles out.

Anyone have any experience, tips, advice, anything?

Thanks,
unconfirmed
Old 12-02-2004, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Unconfirmed, i would think you could get ktbs 3.1 with a good outdoor antenna without much trouble, ksla i wouldn't be so sure of, ktal nope....if you do get it it looks worse than the analog and is not HD anyway, kmss and kshv i would say no way at this time. best thing is get it all set up and make sure you have a grace period to take it back if it will not work for you.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:36 PM

Ken984,
Thanks. I wasn't even sure if it was technically possible to receive the signal from this far away.

It would be awfully nice if they would put up a second set of antenna arrays up here....but I don't think that's very likely.

On a related note, are any of the locals available in HD over the cable systems down there in S-BC?

Thanks for the help...

Cheers,
unconfirmed....
Old 12-03-2004, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

I believe KTBS HD is on Sport cable but Bossier has no HD, and COX does nothing but whine about how much it costs to do HD. I live in Bossier so maybe someone that lives in sport can give you a definite answer.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:36 AM

Guys:

I talked to the engineer at KMSS on Thursday. He advised me on several issues.

1. No chance of a waiver. He said he couldn't even get one. :-(

2. No chance of being at full power for the Super Bowl. (New transmitter has not even been ordered yet) and he has no idea when they will go full power.

3. He thinks the new target date for FCC mandatory digital switchover has moved to 2009. (!)

4. I need to buy a Channel Master quad bow-tie UHF antenna and point it at the area of the fairgrounds. He thinks I should be able to get their signal from Greenacres Place (north Bossier.)

Steve Smith
Bossier City, LA
Old 12-04-2004, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

I think downtown may be in the line of sight from G A P to Jewella and Greenwood RD. But it is worth a try, good luck! If it warms up today some I may try to re-aim my Channelmaster and see what i can do with KMSS if i could get 3 12 and 33 i would be very happy.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:12 AM

Wonder why they're not showing the NFL game this afternoon in HD on KSLA? It says HDTV by Sony, where available...

They did a great job yesterday with the college games.

Steve Smith
Bossier City, LA
Old 12-05-2004, 03:10 PM

I mapped it out, Ken, and downtown *is* in the line of sight between me and KMSS.

I just ordered the antenna and will try it. Will report back in a few days.

Steve Smith
Bossier City, LA
Old 12-05-2004, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck with the Antenna Steve, I still have not tried to re-aim mine, just too lazy i guess.
KSLA is very bad about not switching into HD on the weekends, emails and calls to the station do no good either, i am not sure if they have an engineer on duty or not.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:12 PM

DONT FEEL BAD IF YOU CAN'T PICK UP THE KMSS SIGNAL, THEY USUALLY SCREW IT UP AND SHOW THE SD SIGNAL ANYWAY. LIKE YESTERDAY THE PROGRAMMING OTA LOOKED WORSE THAN THE COMPRESSED FEED FROM DISH NETWORK. CHANNEL 248 (LA CHANNEL FOX11). THEY WILL HAVE IT RIGHT FOR ABOUT A DAY AND HALF AND THEN IT WILL SWITCH TO A BLANK SCREEN, THEN SWITCH TO A STRETCHED SD SIGNAL. CHANNEL 45 DOES THE SAME THING (AS FAR AS STRETCHING). WHEN THEY HAVE THE THING RIGHT I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY WON'T JUST LEAVE IT ALONE. OH WELL WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT, IF THIS IT, THEN EVERYTHING MUST BE GOING OKAY WITH MY LIFE. THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT
Old 12-06-2004, 12:33 PM

Neither one of them actually has much HD content.FOX has football and WB has a sprinkling of night time soaps.The WB stretched picture is unwatchable.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

LOL Burgranger, I am with you there, if this is all we have to complain about then things are not that bad:-)
Still would be nice to get everything in HD that is SUPPOSED to be in HD. I think the problem with the pictures is that so little is in real HD they arent sure when to flip the switch.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:43 AM

My goal: buying the antenna, talking to the engineer, crawling around in my attic, buying a compass, drawing lines on maps...it's all so I MIGHT be able to get the Super Bowl in HD. Surely they'll try to get that right. I'll practice on Sundays, hoping for the best in the coming weeks.

Steve Smith
Bossier City, LA
Old 12-09-2004, 09:25 PM

KTAL and Cableone, the only cable company up here in T-Town, appear to be in a pissing contest over usage fees. They are now running an ad on Channel 6 saying they are taking KTAL off of Cableone's network on Jan. 1, 2005. There is actually an article on www.newschannel6.tv recommending that people switch to Dish...which I found amusing. Of course, cableone is pointing the finger back at channel 6, insinuating that they are being gouged. The KTAL quality over cable stinks, even on a good day, but not even having that is going to really make my blood boil.

At least those of you down in SPort and BC have the option of trying to get a HD signal over the air. I'm SOL up here....
Old 12-10-2004, 07:04 AM

Don't feel bad we are sol down here. Have only seen maybe 10 min of programming in 6 months (even that looked bad). On dish I have the west coast feed of NBC, It is not hd but it looks that way compared to ktal's satellite feed.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Unconfirmed don't sweat KTAL the picture is BAD no matter how or where you get it and the digital signal, when its working is probably worse than the analog picture for quality, and only sound from the left front speaker the last time i managed to pull it in. We are always going to be wanting as fas as NBC in this market. The old owners didnt do much with the brand and the new ones seem content to do the same. With "Must See TV" for all these years you would think they would have the advertising muscle to make $$ but it seems they just let things slide. They will work it out, KTAL needs the viewers and the cable company needs the network....It will probably be like Dish vs CBS a day or 2 and they will get an agreement.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:01 PM

Regarding my antenna and KMSS: I installed it this afternoon, pointed it with a toy compass and - voila! - I got a picture. My signal stength was 70% initially. Then I raised it 3 feet and it improved to 80%. (My other channels: 3.x , 12.1 and 24.x all come in around 90%.)

((edit)) My antenna wire is running through an amplifier - thought I should clarify that...

Now...will they broadcast in HDTV this weekend????? ....Super Bowl weekend?????

(C'mon, FOX!)

Steve Smith
Bossier City, LA
Old 12-12-2004, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

wow Steve thats awesome, I finally went out and adjusted mine and nada....not even a hint of a signal from kmss. i keep looking around during the game but so far nothing at all.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hey D* is showing the Cowboys vs Saints in HD on Sunday Ticket...no blackout!!
who needs an antenna:-)
Old 12-12-2004, 04:27 PM

Update: KMSS Fox 33.1 was showing High def for part of the afternoon. The Fox Pregame show was HD, as was the first game they showed (The Carolina game - no commercials - beautiful picture.) My friend said that, after I left to shoot some family pics for a friend, Fox switched over to the Dallas - Saints game - in HD for a while, then they went SD for the rest of the early game and part of the late game. After I got home, they switched the Packers - Lions to HDTV. Once again, beautiful picture, solid signal.

Thanks, KMSS engineer for the antenna tip!

Steve Smith
Bossier City, LA
Old 12-12-2004, 04:32 PM

Ken,

I had to go back into my rcvr and tell it to do a new digital channel scan. I could not just key in 33.1 and have it show up. Then I could go into the digital signal meter and optimize the strength.

Good luck.

Now...to figure out how to live with 2 antennae and switch them without climbing the attic stairs each time!

Steve Smith
Bossier City, LA
Old 12-12-2004, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

I watched the Dallas game first half on kmss sd...off of D*, then at halftime i was surfing and saw the halftime show was on D* and they left it up for the 2nd half of the game. Bad game anyway, but HD did look good. I didnt try a new scan for kmss but i will do that tonight. My tv has 2 antenna inputs so i can switch from one to the other with the remote. Congrats on getting it all working.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ken984
Unconfirmed don't sweat KTAL the picture is BAD no matter how or where you get it and the digital signal, when its working is probably worse than the analog picture for quality, and only sound from the left front speaker the last time i managed to pull it in. We are always going to be wanting as fas as NBC in this market. The old owners didnt do much with the brand and the new ones seem content to do the same. With "Must See TV" for all these years you would think they would have the advertising muscle to make $$ but it seems they just let things slide. They will work it out, KTAL needs the viewers and the cable company needs the network....It will probably be like Dish vs CBS a day or 2 and they will get an agreement.

I'm not so sure. I've emailed both of the head honchos at the local level and both seem very resolute in the correctness of their respective positions. I'm resolute in my assertion that I'm going to be the one to get screwed over on the deal, no matter who wins.

The one bright point of this little fiasco is that I have learned that Cableone may be very close to offering 3 & 12 in high-def over the cable system.

Also, according to Scott Thomas, the head guy at KTAL:
Quote:

We are in the planning stages currently to build out for HDTV in 2005, as mandated by the FCC. Can't give you a date. But sometime in 2005. This will cost KTAL in the neighborhood of $2.5 Million Dollars. Which
is another reason why we need you to support our cause.

I must say, he responded to my inquiry in a very professional and prompt manner. I guess he liked my email b/c it was polite. According to him, "Most of the email I get is hateful." It's not very specific info , but at least it's something.

Cheers,
unconfirmed