Shreveport / Monroe, LA - HDTV - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2010, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Both KSLA & KTBS news @ 10pm last night looked really sharp OTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96corvette View Post

Have you been back to Shreveport lately? the crime is terrible sad to say and it is ramped through out the city. Congrats ksla-Eng any comments on why the HD news does not look like HD? to soft and fuzzy? I will compare Comcast and Dish when I have time

No, I haven't been to Shreveport in a while, but even when I lived in Shreveport, I didn't actually live in the city... I lived in Haughton back in 2004. I'm sure Shreveport isn't a nice place to live now, as I'm sure it's even worse than it was back in 2004. In any case, I still miss the Shreveport/Bossier City area :-)

HD OTA From Houston, TX

KPRC 2 (NBC-HD)
KUHT 8 (PBS-HD)
KHOU 11 (CBS-HD)
KTRK 13 (ABC-HD)
KTXH 20 (MNTV-HD)
KRIV 26 (FOX-HD)
KIAH 39 (CW-HD)
Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksla-Eng View Post

On a side note, I am now the Chief Engineer for KSLA, and I'd like to say thank you again to the regulars in AVS for the wealth of info that allows us to correct issues, so we can serve you, the viewing public, better.

Any reason you can't switch the regular programming to 12.2 or 12.3 and inform with a crawl if you going to take off programming completely or off and on as on Saturday and Sunday? Or do the opposite with a crawl and the weather on 12.2 or 12.3 for someone in east Texas, Oklahoma or Arkansas.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:28 PM

Dbriana,
I put your question to my General Manager;
"Unfortunately, a large portion of our audience do not get those channels. They are not included on DirecTV or Dish Network…and 56% of the audience in the Ark-La-Tex gets their TV signal through satellite. Our extra channels are also not carried by many of the cable companies in our area."
Old 11-01-2010, 09:29 PM

Tonight KNOE debuted their new studios during the 6pm news.

They announced the HD cameras would arrive "early next year" and their studio is "HD ready".

Like KATC Lafayette they have also aquired the Titan HD/TruVu Max weather paraphernalia.

Their new studios really do look good and will look great when they actually turn on the HD on their HD ready studios.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchairGM View Post

Tonight KNOE debuted their new studios during the 6pm news.

They announced the HD cameras would arrive "early next year" and their studio is "HD ready".

Like KATC Lafayette they have also aquired the Titan HD/TruVu Max weather paraphernalia.

Their new studios really do look good and will look great when they actually turn on the HD on their HD ready studios.

At the rate Little Rock AR is transitioning to HDTV Local News, its going to be a battle between LR vs Monroe, or even Greenville MS. Three stations have announced up here (KTHV, KARK, KATV---the later just introduced a new graphics package over the weekend). But its all talk and vapourware in LR AR still until the day arrives.

KNOE should win the land-rush in Monroe, by a landslide. KTVE (which is the only commercial station from M/ELDO that I get up here) cannot even do HDTV storm graphics at present.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:33 PM

I'm debating whether KSLA or KTBS high definition is better. The picture and graphics rank about the same. The weather radar at KSLA looks better than that at KTBS, but the KTBS radar is actually live and more watts. I'm stumped. I was watching KTAL News and they have curtains that say "HD" but the picture isn't hd. If anyone in the market, they'd be the ones to go with Titan radar.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:55 AM

Is anyone else having issues getting a good signal from KTBS OTA lately? I know we've had rain lately but I'm getting signals topping out in the 50s and going down into the 30s lately.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vphares View Post
Is anyone else having issues getting a good signal from KTBS OTA lately? I know we've had rain lately but I'm getting signals topping out in the 50s and going down into the 30s lately.
No problems here. Is that the only station you are having trouble with? Could be a connection problem if your antenna is outside.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 PM

Tvfool lists several nearby stations (Analog and Digital) for Shreveport but it appears their database is incorrect. Is anyone able to pick up the following?

KADO-LP...40.1
K42FE.......42.1
KBXS-CA...50
K31HO..... 31
KADO-LP...40
Old 12-03-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlbumMan View Post
Tvfool lists several nearby stations (Analog and Digital) for Shreveport but it appears their database is incorrect. Is anyone able to pick up the following?

KADO-LP...40.1
K42FE.......42.1
KBXS-CA...50
K31HO..... 31
KADO-LP...40
I haven't rescaned lately but I did notice a few weeks ago that I do get K31HO but it never has a picture. Just a black screen. Will rescan when I get home and see about the other channels.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shongaloosmarts View Post

I'm debating whether KSLA or KTBS high definition is better. The picture and graphics rank about the same. The weather radar at KSLA looks better than that at KTBS, but the KTBS radar is actually live and more watts. I'm stumped. I was watching KTAL News and they have curtains that say "HD" but the picture isn't hd. If anyone in the market, they'd be the ones to go with Titan radar.

Hello there Shongaloosmarts
KSLA also has a live radar, albeit as you mentioned slightly less powerful.
It does have a 296 miles range, which is enough to cover our market.
It is located south of Shreveport close to Hwy 49, the call letters are WPMC497.
We can display it's picture in Standard Definition on the original Baron display, and we also have the data from this radar fed into our Titan system via a NIDS interface.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:04 PM

Has anyone who watches KNOE in Monroe noticed problems with their audio? I watch OTA and occasionally the audio drops out, comes back on out of sync with the video, drops out again then finally returns to normal.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksla-Eng View Post

Hello there Shongaloosmarts
KSLA also has a live radar, albeit as you mentioned slightly less powerful.
It does have a 296 miles range, which is enough to cover our market.
It is located south of Shreveport close to Hwy 49, the call letters are WPMC497.
We can display it's picture in Standard Definition on the original Baron display, and we also have the data from this radar fed into our Titan system via a NIDS interface.

My definition and your definition of "slightly" must be different. KTBS broadcast at one million watts and KSLA a few hundred (I think). I've really never liked the idea of "doppler network" anyway as KSLA uses, simply because anyway you look at it, the radar info is slightly dated.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

The FCC canceled KEJB's broadcast license and deleted it on December 22, 2010. The zombie "website" for KEJB still lingers.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:47 PM

Hey guys. I just moved to Shreveport 71118 area and I'm not planning on getting satellite/cable. I'm just wanted to get HD OTA channels for the Saints games. I just bought a 42LD450 LG TV and it has a built-in ATSC. I live in the first floor of an apartment. What do I need to get the OTA HD signals? Do I just buy any indoor antenna?

I have no idea about TVs and OTA HD stuff so any help is appreciated!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmasama View Post

Hey guys. I just moved to Shreveport 71118 area and I'm not planning on getting satellite/cable. I'm just wanted to get HD OTA channels for the Saints games. I just bought a 42LD450 LG TV and it has a built-in ATSC. I live in the first floor of an apartment. What do I need to get the OTA HD signals? Do I just buy any indoor antenna?

I have no idea about TVs and OTA HD stuff so any help is appreciated!

You should be able to buy a cheap indoor antenna and plug it directly to your TV. It should be able to pick up all local channels perfectly fine. Just go and buy a cheap antenna and try it out.

Also, don't get sucked in to buying a 'HDTV antenna'. Most of the time, a $10 antenna works just as good, if not better, than these 'HDTV antennas'.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHergenrader View Post

You should be able to buy a cheap indoor antenna and plug it directly to your TV. It should be able to pick up all local channels perfectly fine. Just go and buy a cheap antenna and try it out.

Also, don't get sucked in to buying a 'HDTV antenna'. Most of the time, a $10 antenna works just as good, if not better, than these 'HDTV antennas'.

Good advice. The plain (no amp) passive indoor antennas should work in that area. It also helps that Shreveport is an all UHF DTV market.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 PM

Just installed a basic RCA antenna. No channels at all. No signal strength. There is big trees on one side. That may be a problem. I guess I get to watch a blank screen from now on.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 PM

I checked antennaweb and it says I can't get any channels
I get some partial reception going in and out if I hold up my antenna while tippy toeing and point in a diagonal. Not practical.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
AntennaWeb is known to be very conservative. Check what TVFool has to say for your location.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 PM

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da32503f1b7676

It shows more promise. Problem is that I still don't have channels. I do know where to point the antenna for the best reception but it still only shows signal barely for a second only. I can't move the TV. What are some other options I could try?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da32503f1b7676

It shows more promise. Problem is that I still don't have channels. I do know where to point the antenna for the best reception but it still only shows signal barely for a second only. I can't move the TV. What are some other options I could try?

Sounds like you have a bad connection to the antenna or to the tv. Also try another piece of coax. Just curious as to which antenna you bought. (I reread your post above and all you said was "basic RCA antenna").

I used to live in a 1st floor apt in South S'port and could get all the locals with a converter box and bowtie. As for the direction to point.... all the major channels are towards Mooringsport.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlbumMan View Post

Sounds like you have a bad connection to the antenna or to the tv. Also try another piece of coax. Just curious as to which antenna you bought. (I reread your post above and all you said was "basic RCA antenna").

I used to live in a 1st floor apt in South S'port and could get all the locals with a converter box and bowtie. As for the direction to point.... all the major channels are towards Mooringsport.

Agreed. Definitely try to reconnect it using another piece of coax. You should be getting some of the channels if you have it hooked up properly with that antenna.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:16 PM

I got RCA indoor antenna ant111r. It was 7 bucks. How do i get another coax cable? Earlier this morning channel 3 worked pretty good with some hiccups.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I got RCA indoor antenna ant111r. It was 7 bucks. How do i get another coax cable? Earlier this morning channel 3 worked pretty good with some hiccups.
Perhaps try to move the antenna away from the converter box as much as possible. You could be getting RFI from the internal electronics of the converter box. Also do you have the computer near where the "rabbit ears" are?

FYI for the newbie, "Channel 3" (KTBS) is actually channel 28. The PSIP remapping scheme was put in place by the FCC to allow stations to use their legacy channel numbers as "virtual channels" regardless of the actual transmit frequency channel. All the major SHV stations are on UHF (the peeps in Monroe/El Dorado suffer with mostly VHF DTV stations)

Other SHV channel assignments are

KTAL (6-n) channel 15
KSLA (12-n) channel 17
KPXJ (21-n) channel 21
KLTS (24-n) channel 24
KMSS (33-n) channel 34
KSHV (45-n) channel 44

Old 01-05-2011, 09:11 PM

The cord is not long. Like 3 feet. I do have a computer aboue 5 feet from the TV since it's also connected to it.

Should I get an extension cord for the antenna and place it somewhere else in the place? Do amplifiers work if you get no signal?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Just installed a basic RCA antenna. No channels at all. No signal strength. There is big trees on one side. That may be a problem. I guess I get to watch a blank screen from now on.

I also had the same problem, apartment 1st floor, near GM facing south west. I just went with Dish Net. I never could get the correct indoor HD antenna for all the local channels. BTW I also tried that flat antenna also with no luck
Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 PM

The thing is that I don't watch TV at all unless it's for the Saint's and some NBA. Today I got channel 21.1 working and no other channels work. Luckily channel 33.1 suddenly showed up in time for the LSU game which I'm currently watching now. Jefferson is actually doing good. lol

Anyway, the only purpose for me watching TV is nationally televised sports games. Channel 6.1/NBC has not worked once at all and I feel sad about not being able to watch the Saint's game at my place.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:

The thing is that I don't watch TV at all unless it's for the Saint's and some NBA. Today I got channel 21.1 working and no other channels work. Luckily channel 33.1 suddenly showed up in time for the LSU game which I'm currently watching now. Jefferson is actually doing good. lol

Anyway, the only purpose for me watching TV is nationally televised sports games. Channel 6.1/NBC has not worked once at all and I feel sad about not being able to watch the Saint's game at my place.

KTAL will be the hardest to pick up in your area because their tower is further north than most of the local networks. Sorry you are having trouble picking up locals.