Forum Jump: 

post #2851 of 2891 Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbranch View Post

After 5+ years of simulcasting an SD version of 21.1, KPXJ has finally added a real sub-channel, Me-TV on 21.2

Yep, and nice to have some of the good-old shows again without being on cable/sat. Now if KMSS and their other station KSHV would do something with their subs. Doubt we'll ever see anything added to KTAL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2891 Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 AM

Nexstar is selling off some of their stations, hopefully KTAL will be one of them and the new owners will invest in the station. KTAL has a killer signal but that is about the only thing it has going for it.

"The only reason you are still conscious is that I don't want to carry you." - Jack Bauer
post #2853 of 2891 Old 08-03-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlbumMan View Post

Yep, and nice to have some of the good-old shows again without being on cable/sat. Now if KMSS and their other station KSHV would do something with their subs. Doubt we'll ever see anything added to KTAL.

Sub channels stink. Hate when stations have them. Especially stations that broadcast in 1080i. Wish these stations would put all their bandwidth to their main channel instead of taking away from it to add sub channels.
post #2854 of 2891 Old 08-04-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHergenrader View Post

Sub channels stink. Hate when stations have them. Especially stations that broadcast in 1080i. Wish these stations would put all their bandwidth to their main channel instead of taking away from it to add sub channels.

Isn't 1080i the most they can have? KTBS is still at 720p. Both look pretty decent OTA.
post #2855 of 2891 Old 08-04-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlbumMan View Post

Isn't 1080i the most they can have? KTBS is still at 720p. Both look pretty decent OTA.

Right. KTBS looks fine but KSLA and KTAL look so bit starved. Which they are. Ha. Can't stand subchannels!
post #2856 of 2891 Old 09-16-2011, 06:35 AM

Get ready for some really mad Saints fans this Sunday. KMSS is airing EPL soccer at 1:00 and then showing the Cowboys game at 3:00.
post #2857 of 2891 Old 09-17-2011, 08:36 PM

And Houston is getting the Saints instead of the Cowboys. What idiot at the network is making the call on these games?

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/2011/wk2.html

Looks like KARD is carrying the Saints.

"The only reason you are still conscious is that I don't want to carry you." - Jack Bauer
post #2858 of 2891 Old 09-22-2011, 06:46 PM

not unless you have DTV Sunday Ticket
post #2859 of 2891 Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96corvette View Post

not unless you have DTV Sunday Ticket

And thankfully I do!
post #2860 of 2891 Old 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

FOX affiliated stations:

If we carry subs we do not use any of the bandwidth allocated to FOX.
Subs are limited to 4 MBits by the FOX Splicer guaranteeing the full 15 MBits for FOX.
post #2861 of 2891 Old 10-10-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX44CE View Post

FOX affiliated stations:

If we carry subs we do not use any of the bandwidth allocated to FOX.
Subs are limited to 4 MBits by the FOX Splicer guaranteeing the full 15 MBits for FOX.

I don't mind sub channels on stations that broadcast in 720P. Stations that broadcast in 1080i should never have sub channels. KSLA is a perfect example. Way too much macro blocking during their broadcasts. Especially during sports. It's ridiculous. KTAL's picture is really well. Especially SNF.
post #2862 of 2891 Old 10-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

I don't mind sub channels on stations that broadcast in 720P. Stations that broadcast in 1080i should never have sub channels. KSLA is a perfect example. Way too much macro blocking during their broadcasts. Especially during sports. It's ridiculous. KTAL's picture is really well. Especially SNF.

Agreed. But I think CBS uses better cameras, their network feed is better than NBC. But I sometimes see issues with motion on KSLA KTAL KYTX & KETK. Subchannels certainly dont help 1080i. ABC & FOX handle motion much better, but the 1080i is sharper. All the networks and affiliates have so much better gear than just a couple years back.
post #2863 of 2891 Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 PM

Has anyone tracking this forum noticed any audio issues with KTAL (NBC affiliate) during primetime. (It could be other times, that's the only time I watch NBC.) Anyway, it's sort of a rapid cutting in and out of the audio. That's the best way I can describe it. Sort of like someone is pushing mute really fast over and over. It's been going on for, best I can estimate, a month or two now. I've tried my SAT station and my ANT station, and it happens on both, so I've narrowed it down to either the affiliate or the network. But I there's no way it can be the network, having been going on this long.

Has anyone else noticed it? How should I complain?
post #2864 of 2891 Old 11-09-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstill View Post

Has anyone tracking this forum noticed any audio issues with KTAL (NBC affiliate) during primetime. (It could be other times, that's the only time I watch NBC.) Anyway, it's sort of a rapid cutting in and out of the audio. That's the best way I can describe it. Sort of like someone is pushing mute really fast over and over. It's been going on for, best I can estimate, a month or two now. I've tried my SAT station and my ANT station, and it happens on both, so I've narrowed it down to either the affiliate or the network. But I there's no way it can be the network, having been going on this long.

The only time I ever watch NBC is occasionally for Sunday Night Football so I have no clue. I will watch some tonight and see if I can hear what you speak of. Will report back later this evening.
post #2865 of 2891 Old 11-19-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstill View Post

It's KTAL. I notice it while watching Judge Judy.
post #2866 of 2891 Old 12-24-2011, 07:51 AM

Just a heads up, Looks like DirecTV & KNOE/KAQY finally came to a deal this week as CW, CBS and ABC are now available in HD in the Monroe area.
post #2867 of 2891 Old 12-25-2011, 03:42 PM

That ksla would fix their sync issue The audio still ahead of the video. Ksla-eng please fix Does anyone else still continue to notice this. I only have this issue on all my hd sets with ksla. I notice with ota,dtv, or suddenlink bossier
post #2868 of 2891 Old 12-26-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i49mobile View Post

That ksla would fix their sync issue The audio still ahead of the video. Ksla-eng please fix Does anyone else still continue to notice this. I only have this issue on all my hd sets with ksla. I notice with ota,dtv, or suddenlink bossier

I don't recall seeing that issue but the only thing I watch on KSLA is the NFL. I just wish KSLA would get rid of the subchannels. Way too much macroblocking during football. It stinks. Subchannels need to die. Hate them.
post #2869 of 2891 Old 01-08-2012, 02:18 PM

Just had to pop in and say that the picture quality on 12 for the Denver-Pittsburgh game is absolutely horrendous!!! Macro-blocking out the wazoo with the slightest bit of action.

And that is OTA!!
post #2870 of 2891 Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald_Jeremy View Post

Just had to pop in and say that the picture quality on 12 for the Denver-Pittsburgh game is absolutely horrendous!!! Macro-blocking out the wazoo with the slightest bit of action.

And that is OTA!!

Always is on KSLA. Fortunately I rarely watch the channel so I don't have to deal with it. Get rid of the damn sub Chanel's so we don't have this problem. Ugh.
post #2871 of 2891 Old 01-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Thought I posted this earlier, but the picture quality on 12 was horrendous for the Denver-Pittsburgh game last night. Macro-blocking out the wazoo with the slightest bit of action.

And the audio was off. noticeable during commercials.
post #2872 of 2891 Old 03-17-2012, 02:26 PM

I rarely watch CBS but watching March Madness and the picture quality stinks. I really wish KSLA engineer would see this and get rid of the sub-channels. Sub-channels stink. Always get tons of macro-blocking on KSLA because of them. This is why I never watch CBS unless I have to. Enough already. Get rid of them.
post #2873 of 2891 Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:

I rarely watch CBS but watching March Madness and the picture quality stinks. I really wish KSLA engineer would see this and get rid of the sub-channels. Sub-channels stink. Always get tons of macro-blocking on KSLA because of them. This is why I never watch CBS unless I have to. Enough already. Get rid of them.

I am sure that the decision that KSLA carry 2 subs was done at the corporate level and the engineer has no control over this. All he can do is setup the system to provide the best PQ possible with one 1080i and 2 480i streams. And, as long as the subs continue to provide revenue to the station and Raycom, they will continue to carry them. The CBS or NBC 1080i HD stream really gives you little extra bandwidth to play with for subs without compromising PQ. 720p, like used by FOX and ABC, is a little more forgiving.

Yes, it stinks, but that is the curse of living in a small TV market. There are not enough OTA signals to go around, so stations choose maximizing revenue with subs over picture quality. We have the same problem over here in Tyler-Longview with KYTX-19. The NCAA tourney games on TNT, TBS, and Tru were much more enjoyable to watch than those on CBS because of the better PQ.

In a perfect world, no subs would be best, or a good alternative would be to turn off the subs and reallocate the bandwidth to the .1 channel during fast motion sports. But then, you risk ticking off those who watch the subs.

It could be worse - you could live in a really small market, like Alexandria or Sherman, where they have 2 HD streams on one channel.

post #2874 of 2891 Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbranch View Post

I am sure that the decision that KSLA carry 2 subs was done at the corporate level and the engineer has no control over this. All he can do is setup the system to provide the best PQ possible with one 1080i and 2 480i streams. And, as long as the subs continue to provide revenue to the station and Raycom, they will continue to carry them. The CBS or NBC 1080i HD stream really gives you little extra bandwidth to play with for subs without compromising PQ. 720p, like used by FOX and ABC, is a little more forgiving.

Yes, it stinks, but that is the curse of living in a small TV market. There are not enough OTA signals to go around, so stations choose maximizing revenue with subs over picture quality. We have the same problem over here in Tyler-Longview with KYTX-19. The NCAA tourney games on TNT, TBS, and Tru were much more enjoyable to watch than those on CBS because of the better PQ.

In a perfect world, no subs would be best, or a good alternative would be to turn off the subs and reallocate the bandwidth to the .1 channel during fast motion sports. But then, you risk ticking off those who watch the subs.

It could be worse - you could live in a really small market, like Alexandria or Sherman, where they have 2 HD streams on one channel.

Actually CBS mandates that affiliates supply 14.5 MBits fixed bandwidth minimum.
FOX mandates a minimum of 15 MBits fixed bandwidth which is even less flexible.

Since FOX controls the bandwidth in the FOX splicer, FOX affiliates can't cheat.
post #2875 of 2891 Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Since FOX controls the bandwidth in the FOX splicer, FOX affiliates can't cheat.

Just because the splicer controls the bandwidth coming out of the splicer doesn't mean affiliates can't cheat. They can put the splicer earlier in the chain. Quite a few do, these days, to be able to overlay without dropping to SD.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2876 of 2891 Old 03-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Actually CBS mandates that affiliates supply 14.5 MBits fixed bandwidth minimum.
FOX mandates a minimum of 15 MBits fixed bandwidth which is even less flexible.

Well, I'm not sure how up to date Trip's rabbitears.info site is, but it states that KSLA allocates 13.4Mbps to 12.1, and KYTX is even worse at 11.7Mbps allocated to 19.1. FOX affiliates KMSS allocates 16.5Mbps to 33.1 (no subs), and KFXK allocates 13.95Mbps to 51.1 (1 sub). So which is correct?

post #2877 of 2891 Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Bear in mind that a station with a variable bitrate setup will only show a snapshot in time in the data I have, rather than a maximum.

- Trip

N4MJC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2878 of 2891 Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Bear in mind that a station with a variable bitrate setup will only show a snapshot in time in the data I have, rather than a maximum.

- Trip

During local programming the bandwidth is determined by the local encoder.

In the case of ComCorp FOX stations the local bandwidth target is 14 MBits.
Stations carrying secondaries (like Estrella) allocate 4 MBits to the secondary.

During FOX programming the bandwidth is determined by the Splicer.
(10-12 MBits during Prime Programming - 15 MBits during Sports)

If necessary the secondary is bit starved to reach the FOX bandwidth goal.

Any FOX affiliate placing equipment between the FOX Splicer and the Transmitter without the consent of FOX could lose their affiliation contract.
post #2879 of 2891 Old 03-21-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Any FOX affiliate placing equipment between the FOX Splicer and the Transmitter without the consent of FOX could lose their affiliation contract.

That may be so, but a number of stations are doing it.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #2880 of 2891 Old 04-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

That may be so, but a number of stations are doing it.

- Trip

Most stations that are doing it are large market O&Os.
They are not bound by a syndication contract according to FOX Engineering.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page